Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Plan Affi all loving day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Plan Stand Just Out Of Arrow Distance and Moon the King and then Run Away

This is twice now by the time I get to vote we are already locked up tight on what we are doing. Balls!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B let's not cause a fuss.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Affi posted:

I can kinda sorta agree to trying to talk to a monster. Later. When we aren't surrounded by hundreds of pilgrims and when it won't make us look like complete loons.

Eh, we're not just going to start sitting down and talking jabbering on about our family and how does it like the weather and hey how about those horns pretty neat huh? with it or anything, we're studying the thing, trying to learn its thought patterns, looking for signs of communication. It won't make us look any more like a loon than it would a scientist who was taking the chance to study a captive gorilla or other animal.

People have domesticated animals, there are falcon and dog and horse trainers, communicating with animals is a known thing, even if they don't have specific biological scientists around. We're not sitting down to tea with the thing, we'd be trying to identify any thought patterns, signs of reason, evidence of communication. We're taking the opportunity to learn about the behaviours of our enemy. Even if 'everbody knows' Minotaur can't communicate, and that this is a doomed endeavour, and that we're being silly for even trying it, that's a pretty tame sort of loony, and we can at least spin ourselves as being willing to investigate even absurd angles in order to further the glory of man and El or some poo poo.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. H We have many old pilgrims on their way to Baitel. Surely you could let them buy supplies.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2014

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Bularin posted:

And because Diog tends to play with kids gloves, you're right, he probably won't.

Diog has repeatedly stated that Enkidel has no plot-armor. It wouldn't surprise me if the king who threatened to skewer a suspected cannibal does, in fact, skewer a suspected cannibal without further warning.

Theglavwen posted:

Also voting to talk to the Minotaur nightly, for largely the same reasons. C'mon, let's not pass up this extremely rare chance to try and learn more about the 'monsters', there could be an entire world, culture, potential diplomatic relations, that we're missing out on here. We don't want to just fall into the trap of other men, assuming monsters (like cannibal barbarians) are to be written off, nothing but foul, mindless demon-spawn. We know they have cultures and communities, there's so much hidden information here, it's tragic to willfully ignore it. Trying to communicate with this particular Minotaur might not work out, but we have to start somewhere; if anyone thinks it's odd, we can say we're taking the opportunity to learn whatever we can about our enemy. It's the responsible thing to do, and nobody (in our group) is going to question the wisdom and devotion of their great Enkindel.

I'm undecided on learning the tongue of monsters for now, but instead of actively striking up a conversation with the minotaur, we should first just listen to it. Find out how many different noises it can make, and which noises belong to which behavior (e.g. it makes mooing noises when it's fed, roars when it's in pain, etc). Ishamal said that the key to speaking with animals is to speak in terms they understand, so simply talking away at the minotaur in our own language probably isn't going to do much.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Diog? Kid gloves? Which Diog have you been playing with? He explicitly stated that we might be *killed offscreen* if we went with "timeskip to Baitel", and I don't doubt him.

Anyway, yeah, jumpin' on the Affi Wagon

Screw this rear end in a top hat. We've got a metric fuckload of pilgrims willing to follow us halfway across the world, including an acolyte of El. We are obviously not a cannibal heathen, unless we also have mind-control sorcery.

Also, Make it known that we will stomp Barkof's teeth in when we see him.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Kid gloves like vomiting up our own soul vessel and dying horribly in a rain of naked people falling from the sky to splatter the stones far below. Dio ain't playing around.

For this city I vote B No fuss no muss.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Zybourne Clock posted:

I'm undecided on learning the tongue of monsters for now, but instead of actively striking up a conversation with the minotaur, we should first just listen to it. Find out how many different noises it can make, and which noises belong to which behavior (e.g. it makes mooing noises when it's fed, roars when it's in pain, etc). Ishamal said that the key to speaking with animals is to speak in terms they understand, so simply talking away at the minotaur in our own language probably isn't going to do much.

Although I expect even doing so might yield some result, as the Minotaur might at least realize over time that we were at least trying to benignly communicate with it, I do agree. Perhaps I should have worded my vote as engage with Minotaur communication nightly, as the idea of 'talking to it' seems to be throwing people and conjuring up visions of us babbling moronically at a bellowing monster every night.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to push it might backfire, noone will offically dick with us if we leave well enough alone. Do we really want to risk loving up and perhaps causing a war/blood feud?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1 B Lets just move on. Get the supplies we need and not make a fuss. Send a message to the king saying we are sorry for the panic and that we did not get to meet as men of El. Perhaps another time, though if he wishes to see the Minotaur he is welcome to come to camp. Meet rudeness with kindness.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
b

This guy is going to rob us or tax the poo poo out of us if we go too close. Best move on.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A comment on plan K, to give you relevant information you know. With your knowledge of the culture of your society as well as it's norms, you understand that when the King of Dor said "kin of Barkof", that term would PROBABLY include any Zepathan. He probably does not mean Uriah, he probably means almost your entire group.

A comment on talking to minotaurs. Whether or not it is a waste of time, trying to talk to it probably won't be seen as crazy, so you dont need to worry about that. Tudiya talked to Spawn years ago and then to the (orcs?) years later. Many sorts of monsters can talk. Whether or not they have anything worth to say to a man is another question altogether. Your group probably won't think you are nuts to try, though it may be a waste of your time.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 29, 2014

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1. You...
A. Pass by Dor and keep going. For a group this large you can't easily hunt enough, living off the land means going at half your normal speed. Go by Dor, foraging through the wilds.

We're not bandits, and we can't really trade without someones permission.

On a side note, the king of Dor sounds like a dick

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Althair posted:

Kid gloves like vomiting up our own soul vessel and dying horribly in a rain of naked people falling from the sky to splatter the stones far below. Dio ain't playing around.

I know, right? Advancing the story and making token sacrifices to make the climax more tense. No holds barred indeed, sir.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

On a side note, the king of Dor sounds like a dick

At the same time, Tudiya really should have gone off and dealt with Barkoff by now. Understandable that he doesn't want to think about him, but he doesn't have that luxury: this dude is becoming an international incident.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

K. Plan Affi.

His people came running claiming that Barkof's Bandit Army was attacking the city. He got his blood up and rallied his men for a great battle. (Maybe pissed his pants a bit, Barkof is nothing to gently caress with.) Then a skinny priest some some blooded kids come up and tell him he's got it all wrong.

He may not be a bad guy, he's just blowing off steam. If we part on those terms, his words become written in stone. If the storm comes and we have to rally the people Ur, this city will be a problem. But right now the clay is still soft, his words can be changed. We just have to show him that we're not what the worst tales have said about us. Enkidel, and the line of Zepa as a whole, are not bad people.

Our giant pilgrim train is pious as gently caress. All those old men, wow, no one has even tried poo poo like this before. The truth of his own eyes can overcome the bad stories he's heard of us.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Althair posted:

Kid gloves comment did make me laugh.

By the time the game ended, a fair number of people were dead for good, we had a fair body count on our way to the home stretch.

Plus you know. Baascop getting Otac, Nem Teshet and Susan to team up and murder you with a giant-gently caress-all wave which then erased most of the game from ever happening due to time travel. If Team Manodile didn't fix it, we would have finished off the stories for the handful of players that did not destroy and called it a day with everyone else dead. ONE PLAYER acting alone killed everyone else. The only ones that did not kill were the handful in Akert. That was what, 8 survivors out of about 150?

Plus you know. By the time things were over, Gommorah was basically destroyed and it's people dead.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 29, 2014

Absum
May 28, 2013

Was gonna vote K, but if pretty much our entire group isn't allowed in the city it doesn't work, so B.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B. I would vote for Affi's plan, but it is best to just obey the wishes of the King and not meddle in his affairs.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

B Maybe Og will be stronger on the way home and he can take Barkof then.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Also voting to talk to the minotaur. Practice it like we practiced separating the dirt in the water.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Diogines posted:

By the time the game ended, a fair number of people were dead for good, we had a fair body count on our way to the home stretch.

Plus you know. Baascop getting Otac, Nem Teshet and Susan to team up and murder you with a giant-gently caress-all wave which then erased most of the game from ever happening due to time travel. If Team Manodile didn't fix it, we would have finished off the stories for the handful of players that did not destroy and called it a day with everyone else dead. ONE PLAYER acting alone killed everyone else. The only ones that did not kill were the handful in Akert. That was what, 8 survivors out of about 150?

Plus you know. By the time things were over, Gommorah was basically destroyed and it's people dead.

I really feel like I'm missing out by not having archives to be able to read up on this stuff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B, these assholes don't know what they're missing, though I guess if they're being hassled constantly by Barkof I can't really blame them for the lovely attitude. BARKOF :argh:

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004

Diogines posted:

The only ones that did not kill were the handful in Akert. That was what, 8 survivors out of about 150?

Reachin for a carrot all day every day :smug:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Diogines posted:

A comment on plan K, to give you relevant information you know. With your knowledge of the culture of your society as well as it's norms, you understand that when the King of Dor said "kin of Barkof", that term would PROBABLY include any Zepathan. He probably does not mean Uriah, he probably means almost your entire group.

A comment on talking to minotaurs. Whether or not it is a waste of time, trying to talk to it probably won't be seen as crazy, so you dont need to worry about that. Tudiya talked to Spawn years ago and then to the (orcs?) years later. Many sorts of monsters can talk. Whether or not they have anything worth to say to a man is another question altogether. Your group probably won't think you are nuts to try, though it may be a waste of your time.

Then I propose that we modify Plan Kaffi to send in those of our pilgrims who are not from Zepath, while the rest camp outside. We've got a decent number of people from Tanaach, remember. They'll tell our story just fine.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Plan Ralith

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

southpaugh posted:

I really feel like I'm missing out by not having archives to be able to read up on this stuff.
They are down anyway :( For almost a month now.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Neraren posted:

Avram can likely travel faster with his guards and enough of our men to carry supplies than us with our old and infirm pilgrims. Is it feasible to have Avram go and get supplies while we continue ahead, and have him catch up?

Whether we should trust leaving him alone with our money is a different matter.

The time posted factors in the assumption you do exactly that.

maxhush posted:

Jobe, how tall is the King?
I want to see everyone's reaction (especially his) when they see us, in our 9ft, black as gently caress glory

Jobe says "About eight feet? About as tall as King Rimush."

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Diogines posted:

The time posted factors in the assumption you do exactly that.

Jobe says "About eight feet? About as tall as King Rimush."

so we're a foot taller than him?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Diogines posted:

Team Herodile oorah

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Well drat.

Switching from Affi-K to B

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Figured they might not be thrilled to see Zepathanians. Next town might be the same if we even make it without running in to Barkof.
K Affi
Plus- have Jobe approach the farmers and see if they need some help. If so make some work details to help work the fields for the two days we will be here. Take nothing. Cause no trouble.

It is important to at least try this since we likely have to come back this way and may wish to make the trip more than once. The farmers will then speak well of us to the King. its Bronze Age farmer agitpropIt may not be enough.

Also let it be known that we have a Minotaur should anyone from the glorious city of Dor wish to view it.

I have been wanting to talk with the Minotaur since we got it to learn its name.

So +1 for wasting our time talking to it.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
I would like to submit plan Forgive Undue Negativity for when we interact with the king, or Plan F.U.N. which is as follows:

Basically, Ekindel has pretty thick skin having dealt with this hostility all his life and has been expecting it on this journey. Instead of putting up with it or letting these close minded Kings make rash judgements about our merry band of pilgrims I say we play it off and greet each like they are a long lost cousin. Brush off any insults they might give and subtly and playfully boast of our accomplishments.

The good King has said he doesn't want any kin of Barkof or Cannibals in his city? Well how gracious and hospitable of him! For he will find none with us. Let's go chat with him, and if he was questions:

"No son of Zepath would claim kinship with such a dirty traitor, and we hate cannibals just as much. Why, my brother just got back from murdering a bunch, and I was held captive! Terribly inhospitable people those, all sunshine and seaweed cakes one minute, snacking on you the next."

"Why of course I have dark skin, I'm out all day killing monsters, jolly good fun, you should try it some time!"

"Won't have me in to stay for the night, why that's okay my good man I wouldn't expect you to have a bed to fit my frame anyways!"

"No, no, no, that's not Barkof! That's a minotaur, easy mistake if you've never seen the two. You can tell the difference because one is hairy, wild, and heretical while the other is a minotaur!"

"What?! Neither myself nor any of my men can be considered beasts" have Snarls raise a paw in the background "Alright maybe Snarls."

"No time for a feast? That's okay, Rocs taste better than you'd think."

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 30, 2014

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I vote F. Not everyone has to like or accept us, let's just keep going with as little trouble as possible.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
B. Send Avram.

Also send a nice offering to the temple or something to show there's no hard feelings. Maybe we can make up on the way back.

Also +1 to trying to talk to Meatbrick.

Numeron fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 30, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

so we're a foot taller than him?

About, yes.

You are taller than all of Zepath's Mighty Men, though each are still stronger than you and have a more impressive physique. The King of Dor can very probably take you without a second thought.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Plan FUN has my support as well, to the extent that it's not mutually exclusive with my previously stated votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
K- Lets lead a daring night raid into town with the objective of stealing women to sell as slaves and children as food.