Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

busb posted:

Bowmore made up the image and thought it was a masterstroke of obfuscation and didn't realise he'd inadvertantly given away exactly who was scum.

I loved that nobody seemed to realize that the people whose abilities didn't match what they'd told their empires were the ones who turned out to be. Also, Jake randomly being included among two other full empires. :downs:

Sorry I had to drop out, work was killing me at the time. My first replace-out :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Poque posted:

I loved that nobody seemed to realize that the people whose abilities didn't match what they'd told their empires were the ones who turned out to be. Also, Jake randomly being included among two other full empires. :downs:
Heh, we were pretty sure at that point about him, but tried to be careful. especially since he'd never even claimed in doc.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Scum's powers:

Holy Word: The Scum team can submit a falsified order for a daily statistic report once per game

Blessed are the moneylenders: One member of the scumteam can claim moneylender status which persists until another moneylender is nominated or death. for every 1$ given to a nation by a night phase, the moneylender gains 2$ in the following night phase.

On the other hand: one nation may switch the protector votes of two nations from its own empire (ie nominated France and England, votes for england go to france and vice versa. Basically if the scum know who is going to be voted protector they can force it to be someone different). This does not take the place of a night action.

Brain Drain: As a night action, may permanently reduce any nation’s stats by -2 to one stat, or -1 to each IME

The idea here being that one of the scums would try and get themselves voted diplomat then combine it with Moneylender to feed gold to scums to kill off people etc.

Instead all the scums wanted to get voted protector or something so yeah, they were under suspicion every time the prot switch occured :|

Also the slow burn of the 3P baltics made me send out a PM to each of them asking if they'd actually read their win condition, i was panicking they'd all just leave each other alone when i believed it was obvious they should have been figuring out how to kill each other off from an early time.

I think the time investment to play a game like this is just too large all in all. empire doc, scum doc, diplomat doc. ugh. Gotta be simplified somewhat i believe.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."
I would like to join in the Meinberg :argh:ing. I was just glad to have dodged the lynch for a Day after entering the game with that much suspicion on me.

busb posted:

If Rarity killed 8bux instead of Tom then scum would have had a full victory too - as medifed wouldn't have been able to reach the end tech level.
I would like to ask for a medal for my amazing restraint in realizing this and not giving Rarity poo poo for it until after the decision was made.

The fact that we could have won at that point after everyone but Rarity got caught so easily as Scum is a little :psyduck:.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I do think the game could function just fine without scum and just straight up empire vs empire.

The issue I had when we lost was that people weren't really consistent on whether they were going for wincon or town victory. Legion could have taken out all but confirmed scum bowmore but instead killed the two people who were most likely to be town. If you're going to screw us over at least do it in a townie way.

Generally some people wanted to play mafia and some people wanted to play Civ and it caused conflict.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I had this drat thing locked down Rarity why would you kill me!?

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
omg, busb! You totally ruined the fact that Java was gonna ultimate betray lynch 50!!

oops, I mean...

!!! Yay !!!

The game is over.

Eight Dollars posted:

##BLAST OFF TO SPAAAAAACE

WE ARE NEO GREECE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
:tears:

Juanito posted:

Javan also had the most survivors, which was pretty cool. Only had to lose YPM to help another empire. :patriot:
Great job, us!

busb posted:

If Rarity killed 8bux instead of Tom then scum would have had a full victory too - as medifed wouldn't have been able to reach the end tech level.
Would she have been successful if she tried?

busb posted:

Thus, with 3/5 empires achieving full wins, The Apostolic Order (scum) :dawkins101: has failed to achieve its full or partial win conditions
What was scum's wincons?

I had a lot of fun busb, sorry if I gave you grief.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Can we agree I was the true hero?

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Your Personal Muse posted:

Can we agree I was the true hero?
You went down with the grace and dignity of one of your nation's airplanes.

lol, another JAVADOC!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UqZCHwmuQ4MYrR2Hp8hEKI3d6o2Dgh1-UoDjJMOiX04/edit#gid=0

Asiina posted:

I had a lot of fun but I want to say a big gently caress you to 50, Crazy, and Viva for screwing Africa for absolutely no reason.

We absolutely could have completed our wincon. We left Legion alone after they were cleared of scum and were working with you guys, but you killed us for absolutely no reason. You didn't even kill the scum, but two of the town players so we had no chance.

Viva convinced us to move away from our guaranteed scum kill of bowmore and then apparently had no problem with screwing us over after we had just helped her.

Fun game but screw you guys.

wrt, I am legitimately sorry for Africa's loss and my role in it. There really was a miscommunication and I thought you were farther from your wincon than you were I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9vuJRBS7Q

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Tom Tucker posted:

I had this drat thing locked down Rarity why would you kill me!?

lol if you think 50 wasn't gonna take you out.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
scum had to prevent 3/5 empire full win cons for a full win, or 3/5 partial win cons for part victory.

Yes rarity had enough gold to kill 8bux if she wanted to. She had a crazy amount of $ to use on M, whereas 8bux had to use a bunch on tech if he had to have a chance to get his win.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
Another fantastic Civ game, thanks busb.

My original plan, assuming the rest of the baltics were town, was to simply to survive, with Ixt being my right hand man protector and going for a partial victory. Ended up with the same result, but different means. I regret not opening a private channel of communication with Ixt and dominating the rest of the baltics this way.

I also feel dumb for falling asleep and not posting my case on rarity. Dunno how the game would've gone any different if I was awake to push that.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

busb posted:

scum had to prevent 3/5 empire full win cons for a full win, or 3/5 partial win cons for part victory.

huh, that wasn't really that hard, I assumed it was control the vote. They totally coulda teamed up with legion day 1.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

tearshed posted:

I also feel dumb for falling asleep and not posting my case on rarity. Dunno how the game would've gone any different if I was awake to push that.

qpq can run a history simulation of this game where that happens.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

VivaNova posted:

You went down with the grace and dignity of one of your nation's airplanes.

lol, another JAVADOC!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UqZCHwmuQ4MYrR2Hp8hEKI3d6o2Dgh1-UoDjJMOiX04/edit#gid=0

wrt, I am legitimately sorry for Africa's loss and my role in it. There really was a miscommunication and I thought you were farther from your wincon than you were I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba9vuJRBS7Q

All this time and I didn't even know that there was the "we don't trust YPM" doc :(

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I am sorry my life got pretty busy lately and the game started the same time I went on vacation for a bit; internet access and time was pretty limited and it was hard to come back after that. Sorry busb and diqnol! (but it seemed to run fine without my help)

Asiina posted:

I do think the game could function just fine without scum and just straight up empire vs empire.

I am not sure it can or would be the same game. The motivation with day lynches changes completely in that case, and absolute trust in each empire changes the dynamic as well. I think it would need a radical reworking for that.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Juanito posted:

I just made the counterfeit money as needed. :getin:

Still laughing that JakeP chose to steal $ from the counterfeiter.

All this time and I didn't even know that there was the "we don't trust YPM" doc :(

spoiler: in the end we decide to trust you!

Honestly, the main reason I didn't trust you for a while was that I thought your ability was too good to be true!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Ixtlilton posted:

lol if you think 50 wasn't gonna take you out.

I think I had enough M and pop to outlast him.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

we didn't use it after jakep and I think it didn't get mentioned because it just didn't matter. Sorry

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
gently caress whoever killed me. Also, Rarity. I made the original Medifed Pie Chart. I'm glad to see it live on past my death!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Game pissed me off, but it wasn't your fault busb, you are good stuff.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

VivaNova posted:

huh, that wasn't really that hard, I assumed it was control the vote. They totally coulda teamed up with legion day 1.

Yeah, if ernie had come out when i said "looks like we can't win with scum." I definitely would have done this.

Also sorry to AU, originally the rationale for killing you was that either you or medifed had to have at least 1 more scum in it. When viva told me that you guys were able to confirm otherwise, I decided to go forward with the plan anyway, because I was positive that the next 2 nights we would hit scum.

I also knew from FV that scum were determined to invade you once per night to make you a threat to my empire during world peace. For everyone else keeping you wasn't a big deal, but at the moment we pulled so far ahead of town, you became easily my biggest threat to winning. I was scared of a world peace scramble leaving me in the dust so I made the move accordingly.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You could have talked to us.

You could have hit the guy who was going to be lynched before we changed to Jake.

You could have just killed one of us.

Instead you made a deal with us where we didn't take anything from you that you weren't willing to give then just decided lol gently caress it and ruined all of our chances to win for no reason.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Also, big ups to viva and the rest of Java, viva was hands down the town and legion MVP.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Asiina posted:

You could have talked to us.

You could have hit the guy who was going to be lynched before we changed to Jake.

You could have just killed one of us.

Instead you made a deal with us where we didn't take anything from you that you weren't willing to give then just decided lol gently caress it and ruined all of our chances to win for no reason.

It wasn't no reason, I saw it as a necessary evil. That being said, it was definitely a dick move, and I feel bad about it. I would have done things differently if I thought talking to you guys about it wouldn't sketch you out and mess us up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

I figured that even if Tom was 3P he'd still spam pop for a Baltic win for shits and giggles.

quote:

A Civ 3 if it happens will probably not have a scumteam or a lynchphase, just be 100% strategy game and conflicting empire wincons. I'm completely burned out after this though so don't expect it soon, hell someone else can run it.

I think this is for the best. As much fun as I had playing scum in this game, I really don't think they're necessary.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh and you can totally post the empire doc 8bux

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

50 pounds of bread posted:

It wasn't no reason, I saw it as a necessary evil. That being said, it was definitely a dick move, and I feel bad about it. I would have done things differently if I thought talking to you guys about it wouldn't sketch you out and mess us up.

After that first night where I was being completely truthful and you were lying through your teeth?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Pretty much. My win con wasn't one that really encouraged friendly play.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Congrats 50, glad you got a win in the end.

busb, thank you for running this game. I realise it was probably a nightmare of stats and spreadsheets and calculating actions. So if you do run Civ3, hit me up because I live for that poo poo and will gladly do it for you.

I know I've already given you some of this feedback via the scum doc
  • the vig was massively overpowered, easy to purchase and gave MediFed a huge advantage. I felt so strongly about this that I deliberately claimed to 50 and worked with him to eliminate DGK from the game (sorry DGK) because I felt it was going to unbalance the game to a level that would make it unenjoyable for most people. One team having an unstoppable day vig that worked regardless of the stats of the target or the shooter, on top of any night actions would have won quickly and easily. My whole "scum slip" was fake and I was hoping that my lynch would save 50/CE for the rest of the game (so I was pretty disappointed that CE got modkilled after I put in that effort to keep him alive)
  • I think the scum team got disadvantaged in that we all ended up with roles that lead to us being protecter. Obviously some nations were more suited for being diplomat/protector on the basis of their bonuses and it just worked out that the scum team almost universally ended up with protector bonus roles and not diplomat bonus roles. That was just how the RNG worked, but you said yourself at the start in the scum doc that we were disadvantaged because of it
  • there were a number of additional rules that applied specifically to the scum that I would have liked explained better right from the start.
  • given that basically everyone had the ability to perform damaging actions, I think I would have preferred to see scum abilities that gave us more protection or ability to deflect actions from empire aligned players.
  • from my perspective as a viewer the late game was really boring, with everyone working out their actions together to give as many people as possible a win. I would have much preferred a game of ruthless backstabbing. The diplomat roles clearly led to this situation where everyone could coordinate and cooperate, so depending on what style of game you are going for I would consider eliminating that role for the next game.

For the curious here is the scum doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EgvJZXGL6B_N8wBvCWjki-OT-19EdrX6mK53p2-8Ink/edit#gid=306372937

The bowmore picture thing was him alone. None of us knew about it until after he did it and his intention was to try and make Byers look like scum, but clearly it backfired completely.

Rarity for scum MVP. Not only did she survive the longest, but she was really the only person on the scum team that gave a poo poo. gently caress you to bowmore, Meinberg and Jake who all, for various reasons, basically didn't contribute much. The scum required so much coordination between us and information from the empires to really be effective that it was hard to try and put anything together when only 2 of the 5 players were doing anything. I would have killed for someone like Viva or QPQ to be on the team with us instead.

Also, big gently caress you to Capps for vigging my teammate. I was in awe of your deviousness in actually selling the vig. I would never have thought of something as awesome as that. Of course, you pissed 50 and I off, so you had to go, but really deep down I thought you were playing it awesome.

I enjoyed the Civ side of the game much more than the mafia side and I would still like to see another Civ game, even though I realise you worked really hard on this busb and I've been pretty negative about it (sorry). I think it has a lot of potential though, and I did enjoy most of the small time I was playing for

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
being scum sucked and wasn't fun. too many ways to get caught. I wanted to be a good guy :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sorry I replaced out. Not too sorry though, I think I was expecting actual mafia more than a mafia-like that just had too much for me to handle at that point. Glad Fiddy pulled it out, I thought our wincon was silly-hard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, big gently caress you to Capps for vigging my teammate. I was in awe of your deviousness in actually selling the vig. I would never have thought of something as awesome as that. Of course, you pissed 50 and I off, so you had to go, but really deep down I thought you were playing it awesome.

I figured I might be dooming myself but I just thought,"This would be too fun not to do."

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Gotta say, I felt quite sorry for the apostolic order throughout. Just being scum in a game with so many night actions is challenging, plus they made some poor decisions early and got a little unlucky with their team.

Finding out scum's wincon was a revelation, though, because, imo, scum didn't necessarily need to focus so much on hiding/lasting as just doing maximum damage before they went down, including spreading dissent. Even during world peace, Juanito didn't wanna help medi and legion. If Java hadn't helped them scum would have won! I'm pretty mystified they didn't realize that having a diplomat and making friends with legion were their ticket to victory.

Looks like this game was better balanced than the last one - I really think all empires/scum/baltic had the chance to win. Really great set-up overall, minus a few things like the $4 vig being way too cheap. The problems with the game lied more in execution, esp. the baltic slip-up. It's a shame the co-mods disappeared.

Agree money was a little annoying - mostly busb not being around to do transfers in a timely fashion. Plus a bunch of Java's abilities were tied to $ transfers that had to happen in a certain direction in a certain timeframe which made for some clunky maneuvering and an inability to use our powers efficiently.

wrt people saying the game would be better w/o scum, I'm on the fence. It could just turn into a team version of Diplomacy, which doesn't sound appealing to me, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I would also volunteer to be a co-mod if fv/someone wants to run a similar game in the future. I'm organized and have decent availability.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Glad my empire had better people than me. The paranoia consumed me even into world peace and I was really worried about targeting our own empire, and then having things go wrong and then oops, Javan didn't have enough I. Glad things worked out. Thanks to Viva, Quo and YPM. :)

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

JakeP posted:

being scum sucked and wasn't fun. too many ways to get caught. I wanted to be a good guy :(
You didn't act like a good guy though! If you had been more chill, like rarity apparently, we wouldn't have been trying so drat hard to catch you!

If it's any consolation, this is my favorite exchange of the game:

Hal Incandenza posted:

don't want to lynch a guy at the opera

JakeP posted:

In his defense this is like the Golden Rule of mafia, and you can't fault him for nor breaking it.

Juanito posted:

Glad my empire had better people than me. The paranoia consumed me even into world peace and I was really worried about targeting our own empire, and then having things go wrong and then oops, Javan didn't have enough I. Glad things worked out. Thanks to Viva, Quo and YPM. :)
Shush up, you were fine! You were way more convinced jake was scum than me, I dragged my feet on lynching him for 2 days.

Also, some of that paranoia probably came from the fact that busb told us and legion that Crazy was NOT modkilled... which is weird, cause apparently he was??

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VivaNova posted:

You didn't act like a good guy though! If you had been more chill, like rarity apparently, we wouldn't have been trying so drat hard to catch you!

I'm really impressed I managed to survive 2 days longer than I should have. If I could play again I would a) kill Viva instead of Tom and b) try to ask 8bux to kill 50 for me on the final night so we could both win.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'm really impressed I managed to survive 2 days longer than I should have. If I could play again I would a) kill Viva instead of Tom and b) try to ask 8bux to kill 50 for me on the final night so we could both win.

Oh man. That's devious. I don't know if 8 could have killed him tho, with teching. If you gave him all your $, I guess. At the least he could have built a ton of M & E and sabotaged 50's M...

Would you have helped rarity, 8?

ps. I'm sorry you thought I was smug, I was just having fun!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VivaNova posted:

Oh man. That's devious. I don't know if 8 could have killed him tho, with teching. If you gave him all your $, I guess. At the least he could have built a ton of M & E and sabotaged 50's M...

Would you have helped rarity, 8?

I wouldn't have given him $. Without a Java diplo to feed him cash he wouldn't have hit top tech anyway.

quote:

ps. I'm sorry you thought I was smug, I was just having fun!

I know you thought I was scum (and you were right) but that doesn't mean it's cool to laugh in my face instead of engaging with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Diplomacy report, fmpov

Original "alliance" was medi/legion/java, based mostly on us being the first people in the diplodoc and capps lying about some stuff.

50 told me legion's wincon 15 mins before the D1 hammer and I freaked out and thought they were totally anti-town, etc, so I voted Taste and told Java what was up and pretty much decided we weren't gonna work with them.

I was secretly happy when Amni was vigged, but I argued against it.

I just happened to be online at like 4am when FV claimed to 50 and he told me everything. When she flipped scum I knew 50 was like a billion times more trustworthy than capps.

Then capps stole that 2T, and my goal became to kill capps. My happiest moment was convincing 50 to do so. I am a bad person sometimes :shrug:

So I was thinking AU/Java/Legion for the win, but then 8 was a great diplomat and just kept repeating that he and rarity were 100% empire, they're not gonna mess, they don't want to mess, they don't need to mess, they're just gonna quietly tech up in the corner, blah blah blah, their partial was very easy and the full wasn't out of reach.

At the same time, Sandwolf had long been saying things that did not instill confidence, like my empire hates me, our wincon is really difficult, I can't be totally open to you, ect.

That night he was generally pessimistic and said something like 'I don't think there's any way we can even get our partial'. So that's what sealed the deal for me to choose to go to the end with Medi instead of AU, in summary:

1) their wincon was more of a pain to work around, and if they could even get it was questionable. Medi seemed closer. This was especially :smith: because I had been urging Sandwolf/AU to organize with his targets since the beginning.
2) I really thought AU had the last 2 scum (I thought it was asiina, lol) cause at that point we were working under the assumption that we were looking for a final scum who wasn't a protector, and FV said either Medi or AU had 2 scum.
3) 8 was generally less secretive and easier to work with than Sandwolf.
4) They were easier for legion to kill than Medi.

So that's when/why I was like welp and didn't warn AU legion was attacking/encouraged 50 to do so. I did try to convince 50 to kill bowmore instead of Sandy, but for obvious reasons he didn't want to :( Idk what I would've done differently if that had happened.

From then on, everything was pretty chill. The plan was for legion to kill off BB. We all rallied very nicely when we thought Rarity was gonna kill 8.

Generally mistrustful of TT the whole game. We were all keen to the possibility he was 3p for a while, given grandi's flip/FV saying there were no scum there/the nonchalance coming from baltic regarding scum-hunting.

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't have given him $. Without a Java diplo to feed him cash he wouldn't have hit top tech anyway.
idk, I gave him all my $ that night cause I thought it was possible you'd kill me. And if you weren't going to help him win, why would he have agreed to help you get yours by killing 50? We'll need to add this to the list of scenarios for qpq to run in the sim...

• Locked thread