Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, reviewing more of Costa's stream he's talking about the border bill not the Boehner lawsuit bill as I had assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is for the ~$600 million plan, right? Which means it's probably dead since Pelosi wouldn't want any of that either.

Really though what are their plans then? I mean...things cost money!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Guess who's thinking about applying for the job of running the country into the ground http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2014/07/28/carly-fiorina-taking-2016-temperature

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nate RFB posted:

This is for the ~$600 million plan, right? Which means it's probably dead since Pelosi wouldn't want any of that either.

Don't forget that (at least last time I checked) part of that money was additional funding for Israel's Iron Dome thing. So it's even less.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Munkeymon posted:

Guess who's thinking about applying for the job of running the country into the ground http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2014/07/28/carly-fiorina-taking-2016-temperature

yup, the GOP's problem with women isn't policy, it's a lack of "messaging".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Munkeymon posted:

Fiorina / Whitman 2016!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh god, gently caress Fiorina. If laying off thousands of people while she raises her own salary and buys a yacht is what's considered "good, responsible governance" then gently caress that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

I saw someone on twitter yesterday snark that she's running for a cabinet position if whatever old white guy eventually gets the nomination

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

I know rock-ribbed, die hard conservatives in tech who'd sooner vote for Bernie Sanders than Carly Fiorina. The animosity that she gets from the tech sector is through the roof.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh god, gently caress Fiorina. If laying off thousands of people while she raises her own salary and buys a yacht is what's considered "good, responsible governance" then gently caress that.

I remember her--isn't this the woman who hosed HP in the rear end without lube? While she's certainly corporate-sleazy enough, I doubt that her views on social issues are extreme enough for the nutbags that determine who the GOP nominee is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alter Ego posted:

I remember her--isn't this the woman who hosed HP in the rear end without lube? While she's certainly corporate-sleazy enough, I doubt that her views on social issues are extreme enough for the nutbags that determine who the GOP nominee is.

Yup! That's her all right. What is it with HP and their CEOs turning out to be assholes, incompetent, or both

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

She tried running as a moderate Republican here in 2010 (bahahahahahaha). Thankfully, most people didn't fall for it and she didn't win anywhere besides where Republicans normally win in off-years (e.g. Orange County, most of the Central Valley, etc).

I heard HP had a good corporate culture before Fiorina came along during the dot com bust. The hate she gets from them is pretty justified.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Alter Ego posted:

Well let's ask her about

quote:

For now, her work is focused on pushing back against Democrats' claim of a Republican-led "war on women" in the 2014 midterms.

Oh, lol

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So in the latest of the on-going hilarity that is the Mississippi Senate race, you may recall it was a thing that blogger and McDaniel supporter Charles C Johnson was reporting that voters were paid to vote for Cochran. This is a serious charge, so the Attorney General Jim Hood began investigating. Turns out not only did the people claiming they were paid recant and deny most of their statements that Johnson reported, the AG now says Johnson paid them to claim the Cochran campaign paid them for votes

Oh, and now the question is where Johnson got the money to pay them from.

Chris McDaniel still hasn't given up his challenge btw

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Alter Ego posted:

Yep. My Dad used to work for HP, he despises Fiorina.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's not even remotely surprising, regarding the MS race.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alter Ego posted:

The stock market put the value of her leadership at somewhere around negative $3billion if you go by the jump when she was forced to resign.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Saying her name was on par with invoking Satan at my old job. I never asked why, but we weren't even in a tech-related field. :shrug:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Saying her name was on par with invoking Satan at my old job. I never asked why, but we weren't even in a tech-related field. :shrug:

Probably depends on how many printers you had and when they were made.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Fried Chicken posted:

Not so much. Here's an article from Esquire covering a fight over corporate control

Basically there is a grocery chain (keep in mind that grocery stores operate on insanely right margins) that offers all it's employees a living wage, profit sharing, 401ks, health benefits, and vacation time while turning a profit and offering lower prices than Walmart. The CEO has been forced out because these measures cut into stockholders' dividends and the new CEO wants to sell it to a mega chain

Oh hey, cool to see this showing up here. I used to shop at Market Basket, before this all happened.

It's seriously bizarre - basically the entire chain is rebelling against its board of directors. Both the management and the rank-and-file are in on it. There's signs all over the stores asking customers to shop elsewhere, employees standing outside the stores with placards. I've never seen anything like it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Alien Arcana posted:

Oh hey, cool to see this showing up here. I used to shop at Market Basket, before this all happened.

It's seriously bizarre - basically the entire chain is rebelling against its board of directors. Both the management and the rank-and-file are in on it. There's signs all over the stores asking customers to shop elsewhere, employees standing outside the stores with placards. I've never seen anything like it.

I'll never understand the push to savage the golden goose (Market Basket is wildly successful and HIGHLY profitable). Did the board REALLY think they could cut salaries and shovel all that money at investors and still have a valuable company?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thinking more than a quarter ahead is for suckers that don't have golden parachutes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
“Stop being mad all the time. Stop. Stop just hating all the time. C'mon … I know they're not happy that I'm president but that's okay. I got a couple of years left. C'mon … then you can be mad at the next president.” ~ Barack Obama during his speech in Kansas City today.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

So in the latest of the on-going hilarity that is the Mississippi Senate race, you may recall it was a thing that blogger and McDaniel supporter Charles C Johnson was reporting that voters were paid to vote for Cochran. This is a serious charge, so the Attorney General Jim Hood began investigating. Turns out not only did the people claiming they were paid recant and deny most of their statements that Johnson reported, the AG now says Johnson paid them to claim the Cochran campaign paid them for votes

Oh, and now the question is where Johnson got the money to pay them from.

Chris McDaniel still hasn't given up his challenge btw

Isn't the result beyond the point if being possible to challenge in any way? Like the state accepted the results and Cochran will be on the ballot come hell or high water?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Why isn't anyone asking the most important question?

Does she even have her husband's permission to be a politician?

I mean, Bachmann does. So it's basically the bare minimum I'm asking here.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Joementum posted:

“Stop being mad all the time. Stop. Stop just hating all the time. C'mon … I know they're not happy that I'm president but that's okay. I got a couple of years left. C'mon … then you can be mad at the next president.” ~ Barack Obama during his speech in Kansas City today.

The onion?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Xibanya posted:

Why isn't anyone asking the most important question?

Does she even have her husband's permission to be a politician?

I mean, Bachmann does. So it's basically the bare minimum I'm asking here.

Look, if she doesn't get out of the house then how's he going to enjoy his retirement?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

He's just having fun with it now. It's almost nice to see.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Don't forget the most surreal Carly moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_Ejfc5hW8

Spend millions of dollars to leave voters with a firm impression of "what the gently caress did I just watch?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

This is weird. I've been watching FOX News all day and haven't heard a word about this.

They cooked the books, etc.

Listening to that Chris Hedges vs. Dinesh D'Souza debate right now and god is D'Souza an rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjf3j0Aeeo

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Cheekio posted:

The onion?

my first thought as well. what is real anymore, gently caress.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

anonumos posted:

I'll never understand the push to savage the golden goose (Market Basket is wildly successful and HIGHLY profitable). Did the board REALLY think they could cut salaries and shovel all that money at investors and still have a valuable company?

Some of this is multi generational family feud, but yeah, it's pretty much "not exploiting our workers is for chumps"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

spoon0042 posted:

my first thought as well. what is real anymore, gently caress.

This is clearly CGI:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/26149425/downtown-buzzing-ahead-of-president-obamas-speech

(I think that's actually the link to the speech, watching now)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember during my senior year in high school when I tried watching stuff on YouTube I would always get Fiorina ads (this was before I discovered AdBlock :downs:)

"Barbara Boxer has been in Washington for a very long time...what does she do?"

"I'll be an independent voice for California"

in a nutshell, useless pandering.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Brave New World posted:

Don't forget the most surreal Carly moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_Ejfc5hW8

Spend millions of dollars to leave voters with a firm impression of "what the gently caress did I just watch?"

I'd almost forgotten that. :v:

It's over 3 minutes long and completely insane. How do you gently caress up a campaign ad that badly?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Cheekio posted:

This is clearly CGI:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/26149425/downtown-buzzing-ahead-of-president-obamas-speech

(I think that's actually the link to the speech, watching now)

out of cole slaw, thanks Obama.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If laying off thousands of people while she raises her own salary and buys a yacht is what's considered "good, responsible governance" then gently caress that.

Welcome to the United States of America I hope you enjoy your visit.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

She tried running as a moderate Republican here in 2010 (bahahahahahaha). Thankfully, most people didn't fall for it and she didn't win anywhere besides where Republicans normally win in off-years (e.g. Orange County, most of the Central Valley, etc).

I heard HP had a good corporate culture before Fiorina came along during the dot com bust. The hate she gets from them is pretty justified.

They made good products, too. Their quality went to poo poo along with the corporate culture. I wonder why :downs:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jazerus posted:

They made good products, too. Their quality went to poo poo along with the corporate culture. I wonder why :downs:

Because they spun off their profitable medical device division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nate RFB posted:

Just in case you thought it was normal Republican villainy over government spending, apparently it's not the cost that bothers Cruz but the fact that it also doesn't punish Obama by outlawing defunding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread