Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bigass Moth posted:

How many televised clean losses did Antonio Inoki have in his career?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

He tied Muhammad Ali, and went home with a broken leg. Sounds like a job to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

edit: To give an example, in what ways are monster heels filmed? Are there distinct ways of filming them that communicate their absolute dominance, camera angles and suchlike? I want to say there are, but would have to do some research because up until now I never thought about it.

They used to film the audience from the entrance ramp and then have Mark Henry step in front of the camera to make it feel like he was larger than life. You can see it about 1:45 into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKyWeizIoc

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

That's true, the decline in quality in that regard has been pretty steep. But it's not the only aspect I've been thinking about. Catching the action in-ring strikes me more like a sports-related thing, but there are also story-telling elements to the filming itself and I wonder if anybody tried to analyze it.

edit: To give an example, in what ways are monster heels filmed? Are there distinct ways of filming them that communicate their absolute dominance, camera angles and suchlike? I want to say there are, but would have to do some research because up until now I never thought about it.

Listen, you're over thinking it. You just need to wildly zoom in and out as much as possible whenever punches are landing and make successive cuts over and over and over again. The idea is to disorient the viewer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

They used to film the audience from the entrance ramp and then have Mark Henry step in front of the camera to make it feel like he was larger than life. You can see it about 1:45 into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKyWeizIoc

That's a great example and exactly what I was thinking about, thanks.

D Lambent posted:

Listen, you're over thinking it. You just need to wildly zoom in and out as much as possible whenever punches are landing and make successive cuts over and over and over again. The idea is to disorient the viewer.

Speaking about wildly disorienting, I kiiiiinda like how they filmed the Big Swing from Cesaro to Kofi during the Battle Royale at WM 30. It zooms in when Kofi is close to the camera and zooms away when he's farther away, there's a weird vertigo-inducing rhythm to it that I can't wholly hate.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Grendels Dad posted:

There's a shot in wrestling called the "Andre shot" which is when the camera is lowered and tilted up so it's looking up at a wrestler to give their size. It's called that because it was used all the time for Andre the Giant and WWE uses it every now and again for their bigger wrestlers.

Another camera angle they used was during Mark Henry's 2011 heel run where the camera was chest-high, facing out towards the entrance ramp and Henry would walk right in front of it so his entire back would cover the frame. Then he'd slowly walk forward to give the impression of dominance because he would STAY totally in frame (I think a special lens was used to keep Henry's body mostly in frame). I have to admit it was impressive for what they were going for.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Those are more good examples, thanks. Entrances seem to be a lot more rewarding for this kind of analysis than whatever happens between the bells. I guess that part of filming tends to be a little less plan-able by nature of the product, although I'm willing to bet money that the camera crew has a very good idea when to film what in which way. Not saying that they know the script because duh, but maybe some of the hectic struggling to keep up with events is by design to give it more of a sporty feeling.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

There's a shot in wrestling called the "Andre shot" which is when the camera is lowered and tilted up so it's looking up at a wrestler to give their size. It's called that because it was used all the time for Andre the Giant and WWE uses it every now and again for their bigger wrestlers.

Big Show and Great Khali get this a lot.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Justin Godscock posted:

Best usage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4Q8ZKqxOQ

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I never understood why they don't use more camera tricks for backstage stuff. Their is one in particular where Orton tossed someone down the stairs and the way they filmed it was awful and completely obvious. It wasn't during a match either so it could have been easily filmed earlier.

The way they did it was have a camera follow the two around backstage brawling then when they get to the stairs the camera man stopped and allowed a door to shut in front of him while still filming and missing the action till they were all set up to make it look like the guy got tossed down the stairs.

Using the same set up they could have showed him throw the guy down the stairs onto a stunt pad since the bottom half of the stairs were blocked by a wall. Then have a ref/medical crew/Dean Malenko step in front of the camera for a split second to black out the screen to allow a camera cut to remove the pad and allow the camera still followed them without the stupid door bullshit and show the actual action.

Maybe that wouldn't be PG or to far on the "don't try it at home" but drat that was awful how they did it.

I blame Kevin Dunn for being a Hollywood reject.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

I'm pretty sure undertaker kicked out of the spear in that one match he had against the shield with team hell no.

I think that pin got broken up, I remember wondering whether they were keeping the Spear that protected.

projecthalaxy posted:

there's that picture of him dressing up and getting crucified at a show and announcing he's been a secret Muslim for decades to get heat at Pakistani shows

How can you say this and not include the picture? :stare:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Striking Yak posted:

How can you say this and not include the picture? :stare:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I hope that match was won with a crucifix.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm honestly surprised he's just holding onto plastic handles instead of being tied to it with barbed wire or something.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I wasn't sure of a better place to put this.

Hulk Hogan posted:

I broke up daughter's engagement to Dallas Cowboy.....

He knew better than to step up 'cause he would have gotten slammed just like Andre the Giant.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/hulk-hogan-put-a-bullet-in-daughter-s-engagement-to-cowboys-lineman-080114

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So not only does he have Brooke all to himself once again, but he has another story to tell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Umaga and Jeff hardy had a match that went outside and the camera stayed with them until they went near a trailer Jeff jumped off of where the cameraman strangely stayed on the other side of some equipment and then stood there, supposedly in shock, after Jeff jumped for like ten seconds then ran over to see Jeff lying on concrete. It was such a dumb shot, it's like don't even attempt it in the first place guys.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That reminds me of the Ambulance match between Kane and Shane McMahon, wherein Shane lays out Kane in a parking lot, gets into a car and backs it up, ostensibly running Kane over. I actually liked the way how that was filmed because it wasn't super-obvious that there were concrete blocks or something there to protect Kane.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This all reminds me of the awesome visual when Undertaker dropped Triple H off of the stage in their first Wrestlemania match...that was promptly ruined as they panned over to show how short the drop really was, but damnation, it looked like Taker had thrown him off of a cliff before they did that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

DeathChicken posted:

This all reminds me of the awesome visual when Undertaker dropped Triple H off of the stage in their first Wrestlemania match...that was promptly ruined as they panned over to show how short the drop really was, but damnation, it looked like Taker had thrown him off of a cliff before they did that.

You mean off onto a crashpad

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Umaga and Jeff hardy had a match that went outside and the camera stayed with them until they went near a trailer Jeff jumped off of where the cameraman strangely stayed on the other side of some equipment and then stood there, supposedly in shock, after Jeff jumped for like ten seconds then ran over to see Jeff lying on concrete. It was such a dumb shot, it's like don't even attempt it in the first place guys.

If I remember right you then could see the big blue crash pad in the background.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Still, none of those scenarios beat the one where Kane chokeslammed Ryder off a loading bay and you could actually see Ryder's body bouncing back up after landing on the crashpads.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Can anyone remember examples of the production truck accidentally playing a guy's music too early and telegraphing the winner of the match? I'm sure it happened in WCW at least once.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
I remember it happening during a New Age Outlaws match at some PPV during 98 or 99.

EDIT: It was Summerslam 98, during the handicap match against Mankind. Road Dogg gets a nearfall and they play the Outlaws theme for a split second.

Leggsy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 2, 2014

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RVD and Rey vs The Bashams.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
So I was watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sA4j6IJnHc and it got me curious. Who was the anonymous guy? Was that ever found out?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'd always heard Del Wilkes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I'd always heard Del Wilkes.

Del Wilkes is already an interviewee under his real name, I don't think they'd throw a hood and shadow over him and claim him as someone else

or maybe they would idk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I dialed up a random PPV and it was Royal Rumble '03. The Angle/Benoit match has got to be one of the greatest wrestling exhibitions I've ever seen. I didn't watch WWE between like 2001 and 2013 so give me some more Angle matches, I heard he used to be good at this wrestling thing before his knees exploded.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Luigi Thirty posted:

I didn't watch WWE between like 2001 and 2013 so give me some more Angle matches, I heard he used to be good at this wrestling thing before his knees everything exploded.

Yeah, pretty much.

Some of his other PPV matches with Benoit (WM17, Unforgiven '02) are also real good. His match with Austin at Summerslam '01 was well on its way to being one of the best WWF matches ever before the wet poo poo of a finish. There's also the feud with HBK in '05, which I think is a bit overrated, but I'm in the minority there.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I dialed up a random PPV and it was Royal Rumble '03. The Angle/Benoit match has got to be one of the greatest wrestling exhibitions I've ever seen. I didn't watch WWE between like 2001 and 2013 so give me some more Angle matches, I heard he used to be good at this wrestling thing before his knees exploded.

Check out Angle/Michaels from Wretlemania 21 and their followup match at Vengeance 2005 (I think that was it. It was in that time frame).

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Always loved Angle/Taker from No Way Out '06. What's PSP's take on that one?

Also, check out Angle/Eddie from Mania XX.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perfidus posted:

So I was watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sA4j6IJnHc and it got me curious. Who was the anonymous guy? Was that ever found out?

Are the full transcripts of Benoit's diary available?

Did he just write those "letters" to Eddie, or did he keep writing long after that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm still in awe of that match, I really can't believe how good it was, especially considering Benoit was just there to give Angle something to do before the inevitable Kurt vs Brock dream match at Mania.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

His Wrestlemania/Bound for Glory matches are all solid to excellent. These are great too:

Angle vs Shane McMahon (King of the Ring 2001)
http://dailymotion.com/video/x18reiu

Angle vs Stone Cold (SummerSlam 2001)
http://dailymotion.com/video/x184v87

Angle/Benoit vs Edge/Mysterio (No Mercy 2002)
http://dailymotion.com/video/xz6sw9

Angle vs Undertaker (No Way Out 2006)
http://dailymotion.com/video/x10pcjy

Angle vs Samoa Joe (Lockdown 2008)
http://dailymotion.com/video/x1d89x0

Angle vs Desmond Wolfe (Final Resolution 2009)
http://dailymotion.com/video/x198vgy

Angle vs Mr Anderson (Lockdown 2010)
http://dailymotion.com/video/x1sttg1

Angle/AJ Styles vs Bad Influence (Slammiversary 2012)
http://dailymotion.com/video/xrkgpm

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
What are the best Stone Cold matches I can check out on the Network? (PPVs)

I know the obvious big ones - Bret Hart submission, vs Michaels at Mania, and vs The Rock at any Mania... are there any big ones I'm forgetting, or maybe earlier ones.. I think he was in some of the great old War Games matches in WCW.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Who is the wrestler in the golden shower gif multiple people have as avatars? When did it happen? What actually happened on TV, and why?

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

It's from an ad for Takis that aired during Battleground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFi1v1OLuKo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pet Rock Band posted:

I know the obvious big ones - Bret Hart submission, vs Michaels at Mania, and vs The Rock at any Mania... are there any big ones I'm forgetting, or maybe earlier ones.. I think he was in some of the great old War Games matches in WCW.

Austin vs. Vince at In Your House: St. Valentine's Day Massacre isn't going to be a workrate classic, but its the culmination to his feud with Vince.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

Who is the wrestler in the golden shower gif multiple people have as avatars? When did it happen? What actually happened on TV, and why?

if you're referring to mine it's from a commercial of a snack food that sponsored Battleground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFi1v1OLuKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pet Rock Band posted:

Speaking of Bret and Shawn, I always loved Bret/Austin from Survivor Series 96 and Shawn/Austin from King of the Ring 97. Also, I don't recall what show it was on, but there's a phenomenal Hollywood Blonds vs Flair/Anderson match in WCW.