Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level1Wizard
Aug 10, 2010
That guy was on the track. I think Tony had to steer away and gas it; because he didn't realize how close Ward was, and because he was outside the #45 car. Tragedy happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gargoyle posted:

So just to kill that whole logic off of murder charges or vehicular manslaughter or any of that, the other driver broke two rules of the sanctioning body.

Uh, thats now how criminal charges work. You can't waive your right to not get killed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

like, I knew what to expect but I clicked the thread anyway

jesus christ y'all
Take a gander at your av you piece of loving poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Take a gander at your av you piece of loving poo poo.

whoa now let's be easy

I was referring to goons jumping the gun and posting irrational nonsense

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Cubey posted:

with a skirt that short she was just begging for it

Possibly the worst counter argument I've ever seen.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

whoa now let's be easy

I was referring to goons jumping the gun and posting irrational nonsense

What noise do you think the kids head made when it broke? was it *crunch*?

Again, gently caress you.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this was one time where a fightin' mad driver keeping his helmet on was a good idea

Level1Wizard
Aug 10, 2010

Level1Wizard posted:

That guy was on the track. I think Tony had to steer away and gas it; because he didn't realize how close Ward was, and because he was outside the #45 car. Tragedy happened.

After watching Tony race in nascar, I know he goes high to low through turn four. I don't know if this is a stretch, but this is not out his racing style on oval tracks.

Level1Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 10, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you don't have a "style" on dirt

you go where the grip is

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

VikingSkull posted:

you don't have a "style" on dirt

you go where the grip is

Tony put a guy in the wall and came around a lap later and finished him off im not seeing what your confusion is???

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

Harveygod posted:

I didn't like Tony Stewart for just this reason; he doesn't seem to have any problem running his racecar into other people when he feels like it. I don't think he meant to hit him, but it sure seems that he purposely hit the throttle. Threatening/hitting an unprotected human being is a surprising escalation, but does anyone who has watched him race really think that this was out of character for him?

Harvey, you do understand that the two cars didn't actually -hit- right? Tony went a little wide on the inside line, lap 14 of 25. Inside dries up as it's used in Dirt racing. The other car got pushed wide and instead of backing off mid corner and potentially losing 3-4 positions over the next few laps he risked it and hit the wall, doing significant damage to his car.

As far as racing incidents go, it's a non-issue. poo poo there isn't even an incident. Tony had nothing to be 'worked up' over, or anything to be 'angry' or 'running his racecar into other people just because'. He has a good rep with the locals here, he races 3-4 times a year at all the local dirt tracks. People like him and he likes the people.

So when he slowed up for the caution and started following the #45 I can believe that he wasn't expecting a human being to be right near the caution low line angrily stalking towards him.

poo poo for all we know the 5 seconds it took for him to go from corner exit to backstretch he was looking at the car on the side of the road damaged. or the front stands.

In Dirt racing you don't get out of your car and cause fights on the track. If you want to start something do it in the pits. It's taboo to cause trouble on track. Bowman Grey has started a trend in on-track fights. I hate it.

Level1Wizard
Aug 10, 2010
I've only seen him at Dover. I have been wishing for softer tires maybe until now.

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

Cygni posted:

Uh, thats now how criminal charges work. You can't waive your right to not get killed.

I'm going to run in front of a train and sue them because that train murdered the poo poo out of me.
Am I doing it right now? I was just making angry gestures at the train and walking in front of it.

There are rules Mr Cygni, when you break those rules you can't expect people to help you. Heres a little treat, you note how all news agencies are saying he was DOA at the hospital? Do you know why none of them are saying he was pronounced dead at the track? because then the track would be liable insurance wise and have to pay out money. So if he dies 'en route' to the hospital he simply has died from complications to racing, not racing itself thereby clearing the insurance of the Race Track.

Yeah. Gotta love it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he was more culpable for shattering a dudes face with a helmet in Australia and he only did a night in jail over that

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gargoyle posted:

I'm going to run in front of a train and sue them because that train murdered the poo poo out of me.

Well you can't sue them, because you'd be dead, just like kid that Tony Stewart murdered.

Bringing a lawsuit is also a civil action, not a criminal one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol to this whole awful post but double lol to this

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Gargoyle posted:

Harvey, you do understand that the two cars didn't actually -hit- right? Tony went a little wide on the inside line, lap 14 of 25. Inside dries up as it's used in Dirt racing. The other car got pushed wide and instead of backing off mid corner and potentially losing 3-4 positions over the next few laps he risked it and hit the wall, doing significant damage to his car.

As far as racing incidents go, it's a non-issue. poo poo there isn't even an incident. Tony had nothing to be 'worked up' over, or anything to be 'angry' or 'running his racecar into other people just because'. He has a good rep with the locals here, he races 3-4 times a year at all the local dirt tracks. People like him and he likes the people.

So when he slowed up for the caution and started following the #45 I can believe that he wasn't expecting a human being to be right near the caution low line angrily stalking towards him.

poo poo for all we know the 5 seconds it took for him to go from corner exit to backstretch he was looking at the car on the side of the road damaged. or the front stands.

In Dirt racing you don't get out of your car and cause fights on the track. If you want to start something do it in the pits. It's taboo to cause trouble on track. Bowman Grey has started a trend in on-track fights. I hate it.
This is basically how I'm looking at it, especially after :stare: ing the video. It doesn't seem like Tony acted with as much deliberation as the guy flailing wildly at the heavy equipment he's walking toward.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer 10m
Tony Stewart will race today.

With all due respect, dude can afford to miss this weekends race IMO.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Gargoyle posted:

Do you know why none of them are saying he was pronounced dead at the track?

Because EMTs can't pronounce? I mean your conspiracy theory is fun and cool but the more likely explanation is that there wasn't a doctor at the track to pronounce him dead.

I don't know, do dirt tracks usually have a doctor on hand? One willing to unethicaly help the track avoid their insurance rates raising?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer 10m
Tony Stewart will race today.

With all due respect, dude can afford to miss this weekends race IMO.

maybe he doesn't want to and feels the best way to deal with what is probably the biggest tragedy in his life is pushing forward

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I'm not sure why nascar would let him race until the investigation is concluded. Doesn't make sense to me.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
probably because everyone with half a brain already knows that Smoke didn't intentionally murder someone and the kid was an idiot for charging a field full of winding down sprint cars at night

it was dumb luck that the car in front of Smoke didn't kill him, that guy missed him by inches

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

maybe he doesn't want to and feels the best way to deal with what is probably the biggest tragedy in his life is pushing forward

Was he pushing forward when he hit that kid and drug him through the turn? Excuse me while I don't feel sympathy for the murdering piece of poo poo.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

VikingSkull posted:

probably because everyone with half a brain already knows that Smoke didn't intentionally murder someone and the kid was an idiot for charging a field full of winding down sprint cars at night

it was dumb luck that the car in front of Smoke didn't kill him, that guy missed him by inches

I'm sure there wasn't intent, at least not to kill him. However, I do think that until we know all the details and the police have fully investigated he should be suspended. That's just my opinion.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Heathen posted:

Was he pushing forward when he hit that kid and drug him through the turn? Excuse me while I don't feel sympathy for the murdering piece of poo poo.

it's ok I hate Richard Petty for the same reason

anotherblownsave posted:

I'm sure there wasn't intent, at least not to kill him. However, I do think that until we know all the details and the police have fully investigated he should be suspended. That's just my opinion.

it's entirely possible that while we don't know a ton, other people know more

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

Theris posted:

Because EMTs can't pronounce? I mean your conspiracy theory is fun and cool but the more likely explanation is that there wasn't a doctor at the track to pronounce him dead.

I don't know, do dirt tracks usually have a doctor on hand? One willing to unethicaly help the track avoid their insurance rates raising?

There's no conspiracy here bru. Standard procedure for race tracks man. Also no poo poo EMT's cant pronounce, but Paramedics can. He was treated on the scene by a Paramedic. But yeah it's really easy to just say 'He died on the way to the hospital" because then you don't have liability and stuff to pay.

.... I don't even know where you get conspiracy from... Whos conspiracy? ... Like I'm seriously worried now, what do YOU think happened? like, this is normal. They did this poo poo with Dale Earnhardt, Aryton Senna... list goes on and on and on and on.

Sorry, wish I had some cool rear end conspiracy. Then I'd feel important. But I don't. Just have what normal people have :I

EDIT: OH WAIT I GOT ONE

Richard Petty once killed an 8 year old drag racing and hurt a bunch of people. So uh. poo poo help me out here guys... Somehow.... That means Tony Stewart will win the Championship this year? Yeah. We'll go with that.

Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 10, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yup, every driver that has been killed at OCFS was pronounced DOA except the guys from way back when no one cared about that poo poo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gargoyle is my fav new poster who only posts really terrible wrong poo poo he tried to google. Like a loving paratrooper is gonna declare a body 5 minutes after it happens at a goddamn racetrack, honestly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Glad to see we got some full force victim blaming going on here

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fanhouse reporting that

quote:

"Mr. Stewart has cooperated with the investigation, which is ongoing,"

Stewart was not arrested and the sheriff told reporters that the driver had returned to Watkins Glen. The case will be handled by the district attorney.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...glen-kevin-ward

Espn clarifies (using the AP story which is repeated around places like the times) that

quote:

Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said his department's investigation is not criminal.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there was a bird called and then cancelled and he was transported by ambulance to be pronounced DOA

he was dead at the track and everyone knew it yet they transported him to the hospital..... why would they do that?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Holy loving hell if NASCAR lets Tony race today though.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Somehow I can see Smoke being the kind of person who would just down enough Indiana corn whiskey before bed to numb himself of it to wake up with a clear enough conscience to race.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Holy loving hell if NASCAR lets Tony race today though.

Innocent until proven a cold blooded murderer and all that

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"how could NASCAR let someone involved in a fatal racing accident compete?"

*makes up three dozen cards for a game whose entire premise hopes for carnage*

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I sincerely have a hard time believing that Stewart actually meant to kill somebody, but if they're not even doing criminal investigations then loving welp.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

"how could NASCAR let someone involved in a fatal racing accident compete?"

*makes up three dozen cards for a game whose entire premise hopes for carnage*

Dude don't even try to shift it on to me with that avatar.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kidcoelacanth posted:

Dude don't even try to shift it on to me with that avatar.

I knew I should have had a Dale Earnhardt themed avatar if I was gonna base it on racing deaths

goddamnit

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Everyone knows you have that av because you are butthurt you got run out of the ICS thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Anyway I hope Allmendinger wins today

• Locked thread