Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Malcolm XML posted:

That's pretty good. Rate's sitting at 6.4% and wages excluding bonuses rose 0.6%. Not great but certainly not bad.

800,000 people are unemployed and not claiming benefits. Care to make a guess as to how many of them have been sanctioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I once had the sole of am new DM fall off on the street a couple of weeks after spending £60 on them.

Now I stick with Solovair - made in Wollaston I think.

I'm a big fan of Grinders, partly because (I'm pretty sure) they still make them in Britain. I've got a pair that has lasted 10 years, only repair needed on them has been fixing the tongue on one.

Edit: duh this was pages ago. Sorry!

hexa fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 13, 2014

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
The DWP have released data on benefits today as well. Here's some data on ESA sanctions:

quote:

No. of sick / disabled people having their benefits stopped by Govt:
March 2011 - 604
March 2012 - 869
March 2013 - 1,104
March 2014 - 7,507
https://twitter.com/Jack_Blanchard_/status/499511086828515328

Comparing March 2013 to March 2014 there's a 700% increase in ESA-recipients being sanctioned. Or, to be less cherry-picky, it's a 346% increase, comparing the first quarter of 2013 to the first quarter of 2014.

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 13, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

forkboy84 posted:

They had them at Glasgow Airport at least as long ago as 5 years ago, I can say that for sure.

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Nonot isnt. They have had armed police in glasgow airport for years.

Yeah, I am pretty wrong on this one. MacAskill's spokesman apparently claims that it's only something like 2% of officers but even if that's true they've made a pretty high profile of themselves all of a sudden. Don't tell me they're tooling up for drug busts on Skye or something.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
When will UKIP save us from foreign bodies?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

glitchkrieg posted:

A broad and wide-ranging cross party response is needed to ensure the public are aware of the dangers of non-flared bases, party politics be damned, this isn't an issue to sit around on!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is something goons can do. We can set up a fact finding mission no problem.

Big Society in action. We need 20 tubs of lube as operating expenses.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

glitchkrieg posted:

Do news organisations have someone that sifts through coroner's court proceedings looking for the prurient cases? There's zero public interest in knowing the details of this man's demise, and publicising it only adds to the grief of the family. The fact that these cases are treated in this way probably contributed to his death from shame.

I mean they don't even give any safety advice or anything to prevent others from suffering the same fate.

DesperateDan posted:

A broad and wide-ranging cross party response is needed to ensure the public are aware of the dangers of non-flared bases, party politics be damned, this isn't an issue to sit around on!

This sort of stuff should be included in sex education at secondary school to be honest. Sex education in England (I don't know the status of, or what it is like, in Scotland or Wales) needs a massive overhaul and it needs to be statutory with no parental or religious opt out. It should include all aspects of sex (age appropriately) and include masturbation (for 10+ year olds at least).

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

HortonNash posted:

This sort of stuff should be included in sex education at secondary school to be honest. Sex education in England (I don't know the status of, or what it is like, in Scotland or Wales) needs a massive overhaul and it needs to be statutory with no parental or religious opt out. It should include all aspects of sex (age appropriately) and include masturbation (for 10+ year olds at least).
PEDO TEACHERS SICK SEX ED

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

HortonNash posted:

It should include all aspects of sex (age appropriately) and include masturbation (for 10+ year olds at least).

You mean 'include education and information about masturbation', right?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

vaguely posted:

PEDO TEACHERS SICK SEX ED

Unfortunately, that's probably the reaction it'd get.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I do really think sex education needs a bit of an overhaul. Back in my day we were taught 'this is how it is done and what happens' and a bit about safe sex and that was it. The rest was learned via the tried and tested method of 'some kid in the playground said'

I remember there being some huge furore over teaching about the dangers of sexting and the like as obviously their precious little angels would never do something like that.

I look after my teenage sister and I have no illusions that she has never been exposed to anything sexual.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

Do news organisations have someone that sifts through coroner's court proceedings looking for the prurient cases?

Yep - it's normally the most junior person in the office.

Mind you now we're in Space Year 2014 they probably just have a Google News alert set up for "anus+death". I know I do.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I would but I am in that position of knowing about tech but not being up to speed with the minutiae. I know what Google news is but not enough to have anus related death and destruction sent to my phone.

e: Did I do right?

e2: Did something happen to Colin Baker that we are unaware of?

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Jedit posted:

800,000 people are unemployed and not claiming benefits. Care to make a guess as to how many of them have been sanctioned?

There were in total about 760,000 people sanctioned for JSA 1.3 million times from oct 2012 to April 2014

So at the least 40,000 of those have not been sanctioned at all (for JSA).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I would but I am in that position of knowing about tech but not being up to speed with the minutiae. I know what Google news is but not enough to have anus related death and destruction sent to my phone.

e: Did I do right?

e2: Did something happen to Colin Baker that we are unaware of?

What app is that? You know, for. Research purposes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

El Scotch posted:

What app is that? You know, for. Research purposes.

Google news and weather, I think. Definitely one of the stock android apps.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

There were in total about 760,000 people sanctioned for JSA 1.3 million times from oct 2012 to April 2014

So at the least 40,000 of those have not been sanctioned at all (for JSA).

Are you really going to sit there and claim the sanctions as a victory 'because they only destroyed the lives of 760,000 people to get ~30,000 people to stop claiming fraudulantly' (You forgot to include the ESA sanctions, lets call it 10,000 which is probably on the very low side given whitefish's post's numbers).

That's some pretty hosed up priorities, even for a repugnant shithead as yourself.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

The inactivity rate is close to an all-time low, so people leaving the job market isn't really a significant factor:

Of the ~8.9m working age individuals who are economically inactive, 2.3m are students, 2.3m are home-makers, 2m are long-term sick, 1.3m are retired, 0.2m are temporarily sick, 39k are "discouraged" (not looking for work because no "suitable" jobs are available), and 0.8m have "other reasons" for inactivity.

That means there is no unemployment then, apart from 839k people who are 'scroungers'?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

Are you really going to sit there and claim the sanctions as a victory 'because they only destroyed the lives of 760,000 people to get ~30,000 people to stop claiming fraudulantly' (You forgot to include the ESA sanctions, lets call it 10,000 which is probably on the very low side given whitefish's post's numbers).

That's some pretty hosed up priorities, even for a repugnant shithead as yourself.

He's a yank that came over to do IT, what do you expect?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

notaspy posted:

That means there is no unemployment then, apart from 839k people who are 'scroungers'?

No, the unemployment rate is ~6.4% so there are around 2.6m unemployed at present. When calculating employment statistics, the working age population is first divided into two groups: the economically active and inactive.* The economically active are then further divided into the employed and the unemployed. The unemployment rate, inactivity rate, and employment rate are all obtained as the ratios of the numbers of people in the corresponding categories to the size of the working age population as a whole.

Labour market statistics are fun!

*The economically inactive are working age people who are not in work and not seeking work for whatever reason (full time study, stay-at-home parent, severe disability etc.), as opposed to the unemployed who are not in work but are looking for it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Junkenstein posted:

You mean 'include education and information about masturbation', right?

Today we learn the state approved way to masturbate:

I wish I was joking :cripes:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SybilVimes posted:

No he is entirely consistent. Now that he's on the other side of the fence, anything goes when it comes to oppressing the proletariat.

Up to and including child labour.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

Fun fact: the police cars with the yellow dots on them are the ones with the guns in.

This is an urban myth and not true, unless I should inform the police station across the road from me that this guy on the internet says they're doing it wrong.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fluo posted:

This is an urban myth and not true, unless I should inform the police station across the road from me that this guy on the internet says they're doing it wrong.

Apparently the yellow dot is only an indicator in London.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Got to love the MET. :v:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Really? Hmm. Paging Hezzy!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's not on the door either, it's on the rear pillar. I've been told (but I've no idea if it's the case) that they have common keying on the boot (where the big guns are kept) so in the event of an emergency an armed officer can get another gun/more ammo from any ARV, which is why the dot is at the back.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

lmao please continue to make poo poo up

~28k people were sanctioned for esa under the new rules (dec 2012 onwards)

So in total 800k (at most) were sanctioned under those regimes; I don't know if you can have both JSA and ESA so maybe it's additive.

In other words, something like 1.3% of the UK populace were sanctioned.

DWP Stat-Xplore is really useful!

Interestingly there were a few hundred people sanctioned 10 times or more in 2 years which is kind of ridiculous even for this.

KKKlean Energy posted:

No he is entirely consistent. Now that he's on the other side of the fence, anything goes when it comes to oppressing the proletariat.

Up to and including child labour.

Yeah when you can guarantee that a family is raised out of poverty and the child in question gets 16 years of education and/or a trade that keeps them in gainful employment for years to come I guess child labor is pretty drat good.

When you actually understand the situation on the ground please come back to the table. When the alternative is a) death or b) being sold into beggary or worse since the government welfare is being sold to the bureaucrat's buddy and even then is not worth anything.

I mean it's great that you're able to live in a nation where that's not common! And are able to complain on the internet about it! And have the infrastructure to complain about it!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
According to a random post on a forum:

quote:

MPS (Met Police) ARVs will often have circular stickers at the corners of the front and rear windows, but not all services do this. All ARVs have a * on the roof though, regardless of which service they belong to. Dog Units will sometimes have a triangle on the roof (although there's plenty that don't), and the rest just have spots on the roof.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's a yank that came over to do IT, what do you expect?

Well I really would rather the UK moved to just cutting people a cheque and not bothering about eligibility because the vast majority of the DWP is useless beancounting and it'd result in better outcomes soooo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

Well I really would rather the UK moved to just cutting people a cheque and not bothering about eligibility because the vast majority of the DWP is useless beancounting and it'd result in better outcomes soooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbxLWSu-T0M

Fluo
May 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

According to a random post on a forum:
London isn't Britain, the MET only covers London, I do not live in London. Big difference between the police and the MET.

quote:

The Metropolitan Police Service (abbreviated to MPS and widely known informally as "the Met") is the territorial police force responsible for law enforcement in Greater London, excluding the "square mile" of the City of London which is the responsibility of the City of London Police. The Met also has significant national responsibilities such as co-ordinating and leading on counter-terrorism matters and protection of the British Royal Family and senior figures of Her Majesty's Government

thehustler posted:

Fun fact: the police cars with the yellow dots on them are the ones with the guns in.

Fluo posted:

Fluo posted:

Got to love the MET. :v:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 13, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

Five years of below-inflation wage growth:

e: the thing about wages falling that Mahmoud linked is a bit misleading. As shown by the wage growth graph above, regular pay actually increased year-on-year over the last quarter (albeit by much less than inflation). The fall in overall wages is entirely due to a year-on-year drop in bonus payments, which in turn is due to "tax management" by high earners, who deferred their bonuses until the 50% tax rate was repealed and then took extra-large payouts in 2013. The 'fall' in bonus payments this quarter is just things returning to normal after that little exercise in mass tax avoidance.

Not only is the average wage still below inflation (i.e. still declining in real terms, 0% 'growth' isn't equilibrium), it's trending downwards. Wages are falling in real terms and it's getting worse. As for the 'with bonuses' line, artifically boosting growth for one year shouldn't erode the entire growth for this year, unless there's barely any to begin with.

Like here's the list of April-Junes' growth rates: 1.0 (2009 baseline), 1.1 (2010), 2.6 (2011), 1.6 (2012), 2.3 (2013), -0.2 (2014). If we're charitable and assume that without the shenanigans growth was a steady 1.6% after 2012, the total growth in 2013 and '14 would be 3.23%, which would still mean a 1% rise this year even from those heady bankers' bonus highs. Instead we're looking at a total of 2.1%, with a 0.2% fall. That's an average 1.04% growth per year. The only reason it still went down was because growth is so low in the first place, not because 2.3% was a particularly high number or anything. And coincidentally, normal-people pay growth (which is included in this) has been dropping over the same period, 2.2% -> 1.8% -> 1.2% to 0.6% this year.

Point is the bonus tax avoidance thing doesn't explain the drop at all, it distracts from the actual reasons why the growth figures are dropping - ordinary people's wages are drifting towards negative nominal growth (they're already negative in reality). We just don't know how bad it actually was in 2013, that's all

~* Another thing *~

quote:

•The number of employees increased by 447,000 to reach 25.77 million.
•The number of self-employed people increased by 408,000 to reach 4.59 million.

Almost half of the employment increase is self-employment - that is to say, of the people who didn't have jobs last year, but do now, fully 48% of them have started their own businesses and are working for themselves. Dynamic entrepreneurs in waiting, shackled by the welfare system, and now realising their full potential in the free market? Or JSA claimants pushed into unviable and insecure situations so targets can be met? Who can say!

That's now 15% of the entire working population of the UK 'being their own boss'

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 14, 2014

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

"self-employed" conjurers images of tradesmen making decent livings, not door-to-door kleeneze salespeople (which is far more likely).

The entirety of unemployment reporting needs reviewed. The binary "do you have a job y/n?" system has lead to real fiddling, and more focus on how much people have in their pocket at the end of the week is a far better metric. I really hope the opposition push this from an "are you better off now than you were five years ago?" angle.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

winegums posted:

"self-employed" conjurers images of tradesmen making decent livings

It does, and that's sort of the point!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...d-suggests.html

quote:

“This country has a great history of entrepreneurship and small businesses are in many ways the backbone of the UK economy. The growth in self-employment is both a sign and a result of the economic recovery this Government is delivering. We should welcome this sign that the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in the UK.”

It's a great bit of spin because not only does it lower the unemployment figures, it conjures up all this aspirational atmosphere, that what's being 'created' is actually better than a normal job. Work for yourself, follow your dreams, be your own boss and live your life the way you want! It fits exactly with this narrative of people being trapped on welfare, and that all these [strike]cuts[/strike]reforms are about helping people to escape and fulfil their potential.

Of course what most unemployed people want is a job and some security so they can get on with building a life, and self-employment can be either desperation or - like you say - exploitative bullshit jobs that are basically zero-hour contracts, except you're 'freelancing' and you might not even get paid for the work you do

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

It's a great bit of spin because not only does it lower the unemployment figures, it conjures up all this aspirational atmosphere, that what's being 'created' is actually better than a normal job. Work for yourself, follow your dreams, be your own boss and live your life the way you want! It fits exactly with this narrative of people being trapped on welfare, and that all these [strike]cuts[/strike]reforms are about helping people to escape and fulfil their potential.

It is an important and popular fact that Arbeit Macht Frei.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Being self-employed I can say its pretty poo poo, often waiting on edge for any kind of contract to come in so I might have enough to cover the bills this month- and like others I know that are self-employed I'm looking to take a "normal" job if a suitable one comes up because gently caress not being able to afford half-decent scotch to numb myself into oblivion.

The union is great though, I'm always giving my bosses poo poo and slacking right off :c00lbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's obvious to me that your business could be booming if you didn't have those feckless, workshy employees. Have you considered downsizing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Don't be ridiculous, he should hire only immigrants at below minimum wage and then blame them for taking the jobs of hard-working British.

• Locked thread