Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

^^^That dude's hair changed color, is what he means.

What does "Belay the away for" mean? I simply cannot parse that.

More than just the hair color, it tottaly messes up the narrative since it seems Langstrom's talking with himself instead of Jason confronting him (Silva could really appreciate some diversity on his faces)

Regarding the dialogue it goes like this:

Palmer: Away team! To hangar bay A in five---

Jason: Belay the away for, Doc.

No idea if this clarifies it or not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I bet there was a change in plans between the line being "Belay the 'four', Doc." and "Belay the Away, Doc." and it all got hosed up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 22, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Belay the 'four', Doc." must have been the plan there. Maybe "Belay the Away, Doc."
It's definitely a gently caress up between those.
Seems like it should be "Belay the order" (or "Belay that order", which is even more common).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 22, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

Seems like it should be "Belay the order" (or "Belay that order", which is even more common).

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet there was a change in plans between the line being "Belay the 'four', Doc." and "Belay the Away, Doc." and it all got hosed up.

Your guess is as good as mine but RHATO's editor really need to step up their game to avoid stupid mistakes like that (rereading I just realized that Palmer said "To hanger bay A..." :cripes:)

Poor edition aside, the issue was fantastic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Your guess is as good as mine but RHATO's editor really need to step up their game to avoid stupid mistakes like that (rereading I just realized that Palmer said "To hanger bay A..." :cripes:)

Poor edition aside, the issue was fantastic.

Do the editors care enough about RHatO as DT?! Wait next month to see, dear reader.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Do the editors care enough about RHatO as DT?! Wait next month to see, dear reader.

Clearly not. Found this on another forum, shocked you didn't catch and/or mention it, Tzitzimine! Okay, so this scene takes place on this little island/secluded area whatever. Here's a picture.

This is important. So Starfire is taking this guy out to execute him 'cause he enslaved her or whatever I don't really care about the plot...

But then...

SKYSCRAPERS OUTTA FUCKIN' NOWHERE. No, I didn't cut a page out, Jason and Roy just show up standing on buildings that weren't there in the establishing shot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Clearly not. Found this on another forum, shocked you didn't catch and/or mention it, Tzitzimine! Okay, so this scene takes place on this little island/secluded area whatever. Here's a picture.

This is important. So Starfire is taking this guy out to execute him 'cause he enslaved her or whatever I don't really care about the plot...

But then...

SKYSCRAPERS OUTTA FUCKIN' NOWHERE. No, I didn't cut a page out, Jason and Roy just show up standing on buildings that weren't there in the establishing shot.

To be fair on that:

The map here shows that Kory's on Florida (Malibu, specifically)

And here the guy asks for his execution to be outside.

So I think is clear they moved to other place and the distance between those two points allowed for Roy and Jason to catch up with them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This typo is from a recent edition of an older source: the JSA omnibus. Too bad typos live on past their original issues.

(Panel isn't New 52, but I saw it right after catching up on this thread and I wanted to play too.)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 23, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Can we do this outside? this is my family's home.
Can we do this outside of my community? my family lives here.
Let's take my car and go to Malibu, I've always wanted to die there.
Whad'ya mean, "Fly me there"?
This is so gay.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mimir posted:

Can we do this outside? this is my family's home.
Can we do this outside of my community? my family lives here.
Let's take my car and go to Malibu, I've always wanted to die there.
Whad'ya mean, "Fly me there"?
This is so gay.

The guy DID lived on Malibu

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

(Panel isn't New 52, but I saw it right after catching up on this thread and I wanted to play too.)

That's fine. As far as I'm concerned this is a catch-all DC thread. Talk about any era.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
80's DC might be my favorite era in comics. I mean, 80's comics in general, but DC especially. JLI, New Teen Titans, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Man of Steel, Doom Patrol. So much good stuff and it was the most cohesive DC's universe has felt to me. Probably because it was just post-crisis. And we all know how good DC is at getting back on their feet after a major reboot.

Also I wasn't alive at the time, so it isn't just rose colored glasses.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So, am I the only person in the world who strongly dislikes Jack Kirby's Fourth World? I mean, even as a kid watching Superman and the later Justice League/Unlimited animated series, I thought everyone dresses like an idiot (even by superhero comic standards), and the villains are such inane characters as "Granny Goodness", "Glorious Godfrey", and "Virman Vundabar"? Darkseid (which is a dumb name) is the only remotely cool cat out of the lot, which is probably why he was front and center for the N52 Justice League relaunch.

I don't follow DC too closely these days, but I'm genuinely curious as to how the rest of New Genesis/Apokalips (ugh, even the names of the planets are stupid) have been integrated into the new canon.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

First Bass posted:

So, am I the only person in the world who strongly dislikes Jack Kirby's Fourth World? I mean, even as a kid watching Superman and the later Justice League/Unlimited animated series, I thought everyone dresses like an idiot (even by superhero comic standards), and the villains are such inane characters as "Granny Goodness", "Glorious Godfrey", and "Virman Vundabar"? Darkseid (which is a dumb name) is the only remotely cool cat out of the lot, which is probably why he was front and center for the N52 Justice League relaunch.

I don't follow DC too closely these days, but I'm genuinely curious as to how the rest of New Genesis/Apokalips (ugh, even the names of the planets are stupid) have been integrated into the new canon.

Yes, and that is a sad and terrible thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Granny Goodness was voiced by motherfucking Ed Asner on Superman: TAS and Justice League. How is that anything but the coolest poo poo ever?

Also you've got to include Mr. Miracle and Barda in that and they're both loving awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair on that:

The map here shows that Kory's on Florida (Malibu, specifically)

And here the guy asks for his execution to be outside.

So I think is clear they moved to other place and the distance between those two points allowed for Roy and Jason to catch up with them.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The guy DID lived on Malibu

This makes it funnier because Malibu is in California.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Travis343 posted:

Also you've got to include Mr. Miracle and Barda in that and they're both loving awesome.

Mr. Miracle does have a goofy costume, but everything he does makes up for dressing like a stoplight-colored pirate from S&M World.

Just don't talk poo poo on Forager.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

I wouldn't take it so far as "hate" but I can at least sympathize with never really being able to get into the Fourth World like others. I was hoping the recent Infinity Man & the Forever People book would finally convert me, but it didn't. Other than Darkseid and a couple of other New Gods, I just can't bring myself to care.

(Apokolips is cool, I'll cop to that. It's a whole planet that's basically Hell.)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 23, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't take it so far as "hate" but I can at least sympathize with never really being able to get into the Fourth World like others. I was hoping the recent Infinity Man & the Forever People book would finally convert me, but it didn't. Other than Darkseid and a couple of other New Gods, I just can't bring myself to care.

(Apokolips is cool, I'll cop to that. It's a whole planet that's basically Hell.)

But there's already a Hell, and even an Underworld!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

First Bass posted:

Have you tried actually reading the original comics?
They were invented for the new far-out youth of the late 60's/early 70's, and the reverence and affection all comes from that. How bizarre, imaginative and like nothing else those Jack Kirby comics were. You should take a look at the first Fourth World omnibus.

e: I have nothing better to do, so here's my complete patchy recollection of the Fourth World in the New 52.

-The opening arc of 'Justice League' had Darkseid invading Earth. It was really just him and a bunch of troopers and they got pushed back by the JLs.

-When 'Earth 2' came out, we find that the other Apokolips forces were also invading an alternate Earth, so they can travel within the Multiverse. Mister Miracle and Big Barda are flying around for a page or two doing something.

-Orion appeared in 'Wonder Woman' as a sort of relation to her, linking her pantheon of gods to the New Gods, and we meet Highfather leading a militaristic New Genesis, which is a huge change.

-In the Green Lantern side we found out that the Source Wall -a Fourth World concept about a barrier around the edge of the universe, barring us from the secrets of creation and stuff, comprised of the solidified bodies of all the beings that attempted to cross it- exists and Kyle Rayner popped through it.

-In 'Vibe' something something Darkseid's daughter.

-Darkseid got an origin issue during 'Villain's Month'. Something like he was a simple farmer and the Old Gods were jerks and killed his village and in revenge he killed them and became Darkseid.

-In 'Infinity Man and The Forever People' a group of New Genesis youth get transported to Earth. They're modeled on the original Forever People, which were complete wacko space flower children. They're much more jerkish and modern here, but in the last issue the Infinity Man they summon Captain Planet style tried to instill some peace, love and understanding methods of dealing with a villain and calls Highfather a tyrant, like he's speaking for Kirby's intention in the face of what they've been rebooted as, which is kinda interesting.

-In 'Batman and Robin', while Batman is fighting Ras al Gul who's trying to resurrect Bruce's dead son, the last Robin, we meet Glorious Godfrey as he pops in and steals the kid for Apokolips. Batman has just transported himself over there in a crazy robot suit beat them all up.

-'Futures End' takes place five years into a supposed future where there's been an Earth war between the main Earth and Earth 2. It's vague about the details right now, but several New Gods are on the run or imprisoned.

-And finally, there's about to be a big event across the Lantern books that involves the New Gods clashing with them for their rings. We'll probably get the best scope of the New Gods here.

It's all been in dribs and drabs over the last three years with no big declarative introduction. I'm guessing they'll be all up in the N52's first big Crisis thing soon.

But anyway, get on that Jack Kirby.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 23, 2014

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just caught this weird mistake on this week's RHATO:

The first is from the digital version and the second from the print one. How they could gently caress up the coloring on the digital version but not on the print one?

:psyduck:

"If I start dyeing my hair again, he'll just have to take me back..."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's all been in dribs and drabs over the last three years with no big declarative introduction. I'm guessing they'll be all up in the N52's first big Crisis thing soon.

A few years out and its apparent that the N52 earth prime is built around the concept of dimensional incursions.

Especially with the way that FE's time skip after the E2 war makes everyone into fascist bastards.

Its an interesting tack to take, its just a shame it wasn't coordinated a bit more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you tried actually reading the original comics?
They were invented for the new far-out youth of the late 60's/early 70's, and the reverence and affection all comes from that. How bizarre, imaginative and like nothing else those Jack Kirby comics were. You should take a look at the first Fourth World omnibus.

e: I have nothing better to do, so here's my complete patchy recollection of the Fourth World in the New 52.

-The opening arc of 'Justice League' had Darkseid invading Earth. It was really just him and a bunch of troopers and they got pushed back by the JLs.

-When 'Earth 2' came out, we find that the other Apokolips forces were also invading an alternate Earth, so they can travel within the Multiverse. Mister Miracle and Big Barda are flying around for a page or two doing something.

-Orion appeared in 'Wonder Woman' as a sort of relation to her, linking her pantheon of gods to the New Gods, and we meet Highfather leading a militaristic New Genesis, which is a huge change.

-In the Green Lantern side we found out that the Source Wall -a Fourth World concept about a barrier around the edge of the universe, barring us from the secrets of creation and stuff, comprised of the solidified bodies of all the beings that attempted to cross it- exists and Kyle Rayner popped through it.

-In 'Vibe' something something Darkseid's daughter.

-Darkseid got an origin issue during 'Villain's Month'. Something like he was a simple farmer and the Old Gods were jerks and killed his village and in revenge he killed them and became Darkseid.

-In 'Infinity Man and The Forever People' a group of New Genesis youth get transported to Earth. They're modeled on the original Forever People, which were complete wacko space flower children. They're much more jerkish and modern here, but in the last issue the Infinity Man they summon Captain Planet style tried to instill some peace, love and understanding methods of dealing with a villain and calls Highfather a tyrant, like he's speaking for Kirby's intention in the face of what they've been rebooted as, which is kinda interesting.

-In 'Batman and Robin', while Batman is fighting Ras al Gul who's trying to resurrect Bruce's dead son, the last Robin, we meet Glorious Godfrey as he pops in and steals the kid for Apokolips. Batman has just transported himself over there in a crazy robot suit beat them all up.

-'Futures End' takes place five years into a supposed future where there's been an Earth war between the main Earth and Earth 2. It's vague about the details right now, but several New Gods are on the run or imprisoned.

-And finally, there's about to be a big event across the Lantern books that involves the New Gods clashing with them for their rings. We'll probably get the best scope of the New Gods here.

The weirdest part about the Fourth World in the New 52 is that while there's apparently only one Apokolips, it seems like they're having trouble transporting between there and the Earth(s). Like, in Earth 2, for a while, (evil) New God Steppenwolf was hanging on Earth because he apparently couldn't get home, but then a bunch of Apokoliptian parademons + more New Gods + Bizarro were able to Boom Tube in, but then their whole endgame was to make a giant boom tube to warp the whole drat planet back to Apokolips because for some reason Darkseid couldn't get there himself(?)

Meanwhile on Earth 1, the whole end of the first arc of Justice League was Cyborg finding a Mother Box and interfacing with it then managing to boom tube all the parademons + Darkseid back to Apokolips and they haven't come back. But then all of a sudden Glorious Godfrey is showing up in B&R and it's like "Well if you assholes could show up again, why have you been holding out so long?" Also Desaad's been stuck on Earth and has been hounding Power Girl and Huntress because he apparently can't get back to Apokolips either.

Maybe it fits with Apokolips' whole vibe as a hellscape that they have lovely mechanics who can't fix a mother box.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And don't forget that the Antimonitor's consuming universes to face Darkseid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't take it so far as "hate" but I can at least sympathize with never really being able to get into the Fourth World like others. I was hoping the recent Infinity Man & the Forever People book would finally convert me

I can't imagine why a Dan Didio-penned comic didn't make you love one of Jack Kirby's greatest works.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

I can't imagine why a Dan Didio-penned comic didn't make you love one of Jack Kirby's greatest works.

OMAC was pretty great. I'd say out of anyone who's been trying, the pair of him and Giffen have the best grasp on that stuff.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TwoPair posted:

The weirdest part about the Fourth World in the New 52 is that while there's apparently only one Apokolips, it seems like they're having trouble transporting between there and the Earth(s). Like, in Earth 2, for a while, (evil) New God Steppenwolf was hanging on Earth because he apparently couldn't get home, but then a bunch of Apokoliptian parademons + more New Gods + Bizarro were able to Boom Tube in, but then their whole endgame was to make a giant boom tube to warp the whole drat planet back to Apokolips because for some reason Darkseid couldn't get there himself(?)

Meanwhile on Earth 1, the whole end of the first arc of Justice League was Cyborg finding a Mother Box and interfacing with it then managing to boom tube all the parademons + Darkseid back to Apokolips and they haven't come back. But then all of a sudden Glorious Godfrey is showing up in B&R and it's like "Well if you assholes could show up again, why have you been holding out so long?" Also Desaad's been stuck on Earth and has been hounding Power Girl and Huntress because he apparently can't get back to Apokolips either.

Maybe it fits with Apokolips' whole vibe as a hellscape that they have lovely mechanics who can't fix a mother box.
Picking nits but Earth 1 is the one with the terrible JMS Superman and Geoff Johns' Batman OGNs. AFAIK it has not been involved in any crossovers.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And don't forget that the Antimonitor's consuming universes to face Darkseid.
And in Multiversity the Gentry are destroying universes that don't pay rent.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

OMAC was pretty great. I'd say out of anyone who's been trying, the pair of him and Giffen have the best grasp on that stuff.

Didio also did a really mediocre Metal Men story in Wednesday Comics. At least he has good taste in characters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

First Bass posted:

Keep DC weird.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

Darkseid (which is a dumb name)
All future opinions about comics by forums poster First Bass will hereby be dismissed with extreme prejudice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Darkseid (pronounced Dark Seed).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Darkseid (pronounced Dark Seed).

Incorrect! Turn in your nerd badge and gun right now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darkseid (pronounced SvartSeiğr).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's pronounced Doug Side, man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Doesn't matter how you pronounce it. DARKSEID IS!

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Anti-Life Equation is somebody pronouncing his name correctly

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Darkseid (pronounced Thanos).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
His name is pronounced "Darkseid". I bet y'all feel foolish.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Before he died, Jack Kirby told me the secret truth of how Darkseid is supposed to be pronounced. It's "Dork-Sid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goldenoreos posted:

Before he died, Jack Kirby told me the secret truth of how Darkseid is supposed to be pronounced. It's "Dork-Sid"

That was actually J'ak Kurbay, an evil upper dimensional being masquerading as the real King.

• Locked thread