Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Along with the best live action version of Lois Lane as well.

Erica Durance isn't a better live action Lois Lane than Margot Kidder. Better than Amy Adams is insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Man, the O.C. got way good after Marissa died. I had never watched this far back when it was on TV, but Ryan is written completely different, and I'm really digging it. Also, Chris Pratt showed up, and Deputy Leo as a young Sandy Cohen. This show is great.

Guess I should probably watch Southland, too, before Gotham starts...

Yogalates.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vincent posted:

The third season was really bad and pretty much shat on all the characters that aren't Longmire or his... what do you call a magical negro that's a native american?.
Hey there's a crazy Indian guy who believes he's a time travelling dog soldier spirit warrior and he's trying to kill you Branch but no one believes you oh wait he's behind all the murders ever and even gets Lou Diamond Phillips out of his murder rap so you're ok psyche your father is going to kill you for no reason

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Man, the O.C. got way good after Marissa died. I had never watched this far back when it was on TV, but Ryan is written completely different, and I'm really digging it. Also, Chris Pratt showed up, and Deputy Leo as a young Sandy Cohen. This show is great.

Guess I should probably watch Southland, too, before Gotham starts...

Yogalates.

Season 1 and Season 4 are the only parts worth watching. The middle seasons got really bogged down with Marissa drama, Bait Shop band of the week, and new characters being introduced that never really fit into the group dynamic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Finally catching up with Married and You're the Worst is a bit enlightening, at least for finding out what I like out of new shows. Never saw the pilot of Married, but started with the second ep and rolled on through the sixth. Instantly hooked with the mom talking poo poo back to her kids as she rustles them to school, her grouchiness a type of honest mom you never really see on TV, outside of villains and such. It smacked of being real, and their interactions struck me as the same, no dumb dad, no nagging mom. An episode of them having fun separately, an episode deciding new couple friends, romantic retreat ending with making fun of twenty olds...its refreshingly low stakes. I like these people, and I want to see what happens next.

You're the Worst...everything just comes right at you. The dub-step soundtrack, the brilliant in your face colors, the smarmy English guy and the sociopathic lady, do people think this stuff is edgy? The English guy doesn't come off as intelligent enough to really be witty, the woman doesn't come off as funny enough to be cutting. And when you don't have characters you don't like, who gives a poo poo what they do? Anyway, end of the second episode, and I'm probably calling it quits. Does it get better?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shageletic posted:

You're the Worst...everything just comes right at you. The dub-step soundtrack, the brilliant in your face colors, the smarmy English guy and the sociopathic lady, do people think this stuff is edgy? The English guy doesn't come off as intelligent enough to really be witty, the woman doesn't come off as funny enough to be cutting. And when you don't have characters you don't like, who gives a poo poo what they do? Anyway, end of the second episode, and I'm probably calling it quits. Does it get better?

See I thought the pilot after the very beginning was a little rough but it has gotten better and better. Gretchen gets a little more flesh to her but the real stars become Edgar and Lindsay their little side adventures are insane. Also the fake Tyler the Creator guy is gold every time he shows up. Black Dwell made me crack up more than it should have.

It has become my favorite show on right now.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You're the worst shifts a little in the "ensemble" direction but it doesn't change that much. Gretchen's friend is kind of funny but the war vet roommate guy isn't very good.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Edgar has his moments but they lean too hard on the PTSD/I watched my friends explode right in front of me thing too often

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The show might be better if they explore the whole "we are actually very toxic people to be around" thing from the last episode instead of the cliched "Oh we are rebels but not really what we really want is a normal relationship."

I just finished watching Bojack Horseman. It sure has 3 episodes that are a motherfucker (The old friend with cancer, the drug trip and "Am I a good person?") And the ending could go either way into being a sad state for Bojack or a new "happy" path for him. I hope the second season is more like the later part of the first one. Not going full S3 of Moral Orel, but gives us more than "lol rear end in a top hat horse in hollywood".

Vincent fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 29, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sober posted:

Edgar has his moments but they lean too hard on the PTSD/I watched my friends explode right in front of me thing too often

Yeah, that soldier is painful. Just really nails the coffin on this show attempting to be realistic at all. I hate to say it, but that guy is the most transparently unrealistic "wacky" sidekick (updated with that fake edginess this show loves so much) since Six on Blossom. Nobody acts like that guy. Actually, nobody acts like any of these people.

Vincent posted:

The show might be better if they explore the whole "we are actually very toxic people to be around" thing from the last episode instead of the cliched "Oh we are rebels but not really what we really want is a normal relationship."

Yeah, they couldn't even hold to the idea of that not happening past the second act of the pilot. Whatever, I guess I've said enough bad things about the show already so I'll stop.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Chalk me in as one that is really enjoying You're the worst. I enjoy it for the same reasons I enjoy Always Sunny. Yeah, these people are pretty terrible human beings, but it makes me laugh.

On the flip side, Married just feels like they build up some sort of plot and then drop it or completely forget about ever resolving anything about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ha, so much for me stopping.

Jack Skeleton posted:

Chalk me in as one that is really enjoying You're the worst. I enjoy it for the same reasons I enjoy Always Sunny. Yeah, these people are pretty terrible human beings, but it makes me laugh.

On the flip side, Married just feels like they build up some sort of plot and then drop it or completely forget about ever resolving anything about it.

Its Always Sunny and You're the Worst both have characters that are supposedly terrible. But I think the difference between the two is that I get the feeling that the people behind Worst actually think, you know, that these people are actually "cool", and they don't really have the balls to stick to them actually being unpleasant to be around (eating Chinese in a movie theater, my heavens!). OTOH, one of the main characters on Sunny is probably a serial predator. There's no redemption there, just the best kind of smart black comedy. I mean, didn't you have the gang painting a dumpster baby brown to get welfare checks in the second episode? In Worst, the supposedly terrible main guy is already befriending his characterless little kid buddy, like someone was half paying attention to a Nick Hornby movie. Actually, I think this show was probably made by a guy that really liked those kind of movies (complete with withering British man-child), without bothering to pay attention to what was good about them (like the heroes actually being interesting). Boo.

EDIT: Oh, and I love that about Married. Plots in sitcoms, especially relationship ones, is so stale right now. Characters that don't particularly give a poo poo about them and the story just following their character based responses and ideas is a great decision. poo poo doesn't resolve by the end of a half-hour.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm enjoying You're The Worst more than I thought I would, but I am missing the director of episode one already. It went from being shot like Lost in Translation to typical high budget single cam. Oh well, I still like the content.

The episode that Edgar thinks he knows something that will kill the relationship is great. I don't care if people act like this in real life (in no shows I watch do people do that). Seeing Edgar continuously torture himself with anxiety for no reason was hilarious to me. Also I hate the main character's friend, but she still cracks me up because of how horrible she is and how much fun she's having while being a terrible person.

Apparently I like to see characters have fun with what they are doing even if they are being societal assholes instead of trudging through it like a life penance (Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Always Sunny have this all in common).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
About Hand of God....this interview with its creator convinced me that I need to watch it after all.

Plus, Garret Dillahunt and Andre Royo. I mean, come on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm glad to see this guy get work:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-agent-carter-enlists-dollhouse-729040

Enver Gjokaj will be a series regular on Agent Carter.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Thank goodness. Though he looks a bit fat in that picture.

In other news, I was watching You're The Worst and holy gently caress Jeanine Mason who was guest staring in this week's episode got super loving hot. Okay, she was already pretty awesome before but daaaamn that threesome scene.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I still can't believe more people like Married more then You're the Worst but to each there own. Edgar has to be hosed up to give Jimmy a redeming item in his life, "I loving hate everyone but I'm semi-looking after my PTSD/drug addict friend". They are trying to change that by having Edgar and Lindsay sleep together at some point in the series.

*edit*

It follows the Friends to Coupling arc of trying to make shows more realistic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm ready to stop watching Married.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jeez, I don't know if I can watch any more upcoming pilots after Red Band Society. It'll probably all be mediocre in comparison.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sober posted:

Jeez, I don't know if I can watch any more upcoming pilots after Red Band Society. It'll probably all be mediocre in comparison.

I had my issues with it -- wasn't a fan of coma kid's platitude-laden narration -- but holy poo poo there's a lot of promise there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wasn't everyone expecting Red Band Society to be mawkish crap?

GreenNight posted:

I'm glad to see this guy get work:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-agent-carter-enlists-dollhouse-729040

Enver Gjokaj will be a series regular on Agent Carter.

:woop:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rarity posted:

Wasn't everyone expecting Red Band Society to be mawkish crap?
There are some Glee pilot vibes I got (it leans closer to Breakfast Club), but it doesn't have music sales to fall back on or Ryan Murphy and friends to poo poo it all up. So I'm hopeful instead.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Haven't seen the Red Band Society pilot, but between that show, If I Stay, and The Fault of our Stars, I'm really annoyed that horrible medical conditions seem to be serving as the new backdrop for teen romance media.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Believe it or not but Phil Lord and Chris Miller have a put pilot commitment with Fox for a Greatest American Hero series.

"Put pilot" means that Fox pretty much has to air at least the pilot or they'll suffer financial penalties.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Believe it or not but Phil Lord and Chris Miller have a put pilot commitment with Fox for a Greatest American Hero series.

"Put pilot" means that Fox pretty much has to air at least the pilot or they'll suffer financial penalties.

Oh, I thought I heard Nathan Fillion's anguished scream earlier. (Greatest American Hero is his dream role and he's busy with Castle.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sober posted:

Its the first half of a stellar movie. How many episodes does it have this season? Its too good to have 24.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Dear deadpool, I'll be taking my probation now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, I thought I heard Nathan Fillion's anguished scream earlier. (Greatest American Hero is his dream role and he's busy with Castle.)

It's also by one of the writers of 22 Jump St, so you know it's going to be amazing.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wanted to pop in right quick -- I still haven't heard when my episode of Who Wants to be a Millionaire will air, but the latest promo is out. I'm in it. You can probably guess which one I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCmAwRJFhU

Now that I actually see myself in the studio, it occurs to me that I really need to make a thread in the fitness log cabin

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It looks like you won over $60,000? Congrats man! poo poo I could use 60K

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 30, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Now that I actually see myself in the studio, it occurs to me that I really need to make a thread in the fitness log cabin

At least you're a jolly fat man.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
and you got to touch Terry Crews which is at least a 60 thousand dollar value

speaking of, holy poo poo Terry Crews is hosting that now? that's a great idea. the show was always fun because of the format, but the dead lifeless former hosts were a drag.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Terry Crews was born to host that show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like you won over $60,000? Congrats man! poo poo I could use 60K

68,600. Did not know Terry Crews hosted it now. Is there a lot of screaming and pectoralis movement?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

No knick :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

At least you're a jolly fat man.

I thought John Pinette died

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

and you got to touch Terry Crews which is at least a 60 thousand dollar value

speaking of, holy poo poo Terry Crews is hosting that now? that's a great idea. the show was always fun because of the format, but the dead lifeless former hosts were a drag.

Meredith Viera? Dead and lifeless?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can neither confirm nor deny how I did until it airs. Only that would be the amount of money I would win if I walked at that very instant. I have to keep telling my family that everybody really shouldn't get their hopes up because they know me and they know how things usually work out for me.

I didn't even go into it expecting to win anything, just to try and meet a personal goal that had been steadily changing as I got closer to the tape date. It went from "Let's win the million!" when I got off the phone with the contestant coordinator, to "Let's not wear fedoras and anime wolfshirts on national television!" by the time I got to the studio. You go for what you think you can achieve and build on it from there, because at that point, I didn't even know if I would get bounced on the very first question.

You wouldn't have thought to see it in person, but it literally Terry's third day on the job. I didn't get a chance to talk to him much during the stoppages, because he was constantly getting instructions from the booth over his earpiece. He had the energy, He knew how to work the crowd, and knew when to stand back and let the drama play out. Considering my biases, Terry Crews could be the shot in the arm the show needs, like how Steve Harvey has boosted Family Feud's ratings. I will tell you this as well: Dude likes his hugs, but that's okay because I like them, too.

Also, I have just been told that the local affiliate will be moving the show to 2 am over here. I really regret promising on the invitations that we were going to watch this live. Also, I regret actually paying money for printed invitations in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Like hugging a beanbag chair.

• Locked thread