Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah but does that really apply to elderly white people? I mean they are the whole reason rear end in a top hat Joe is the sheriff in the first place; I'd have to imagine Granny running into something after taking her medication happens with alarming frequency in AZ and I'm guessing Granny doesn't usually end up in tent city.

Generally jails don't want old people and people with medical conditions due to both expenses (they have to pay for care) and liability. They really don't want old white people. Work release type programs don't work well with these people either. I could fairly easily get grandma from doing jail in a case like this (as she is the only injury and car involved -- especially if she agreed to have the judge revoke her license permanently), but it will need a lawyer barring luck (arraigning judge doesn't review case closely enough).

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes... lawyers don't get you out of tent city here.
Bet they get old white/asian ladies out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
If you're on the strongest painkiller there is, you REALLY shouldn't be operating a vehicle. I guess that little label on the bottle that says "don't drive while using this" isn't obvious enough.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Granny's mangled Lexus reminded me of this crash test of a Chinese SUV.

http://youtu.be/q4nyVtKgt70

Its not exactly the same sort of vehicle but that Lexus definitely soaked up the crash a lot better than some cars would. That test dummy is practically folded in half.

I remember when everyone was talking about how the Chinese auto industry would surge into the US market like the Japanese cars did in the past. I haven't heard that line anytime recently.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did grandma get charged at the scene did they draw blood did she admit she was on oxy? was there a police xar at the scene at some point?

Usually for dui / dwi they drag your rear end to the station first thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Probably because japanese cars surged into the market when US cars were poo poo and sold on the basis of being Not poo poo. Japanese cars are still Not poo poo but chinese cars are poo poo.

They've made a small amount of headway here just by being so ridiculously cheap but their sales figures aren't even a point of a percentage of the likes of toyota.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shifty Pony posted:

I remember when everyone was talking about how the Chinese auto industry would surge into the US market like the Japanese cars did in the past. I haven't heard that line anytime recently.

On the other hand the scooter/dirt bike/atv markets have indeed been absolutely flooded.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah, just wait. It might not be Chinese brands but I'm sure Chinese made cars will come. I also think that the fact that Volvo since a few years back is Chinese owned will have an impact on the safety of coming Chinese cars. The big difference compared to when the Japanese conquered the US market is that there is now no new niche that current Western manufacturers are not filling. There was a lack of small cheap and reliable cars in the 70s that the Japanese exploited, but I cannot see what China can offer more than just cheaper prices at this point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

Probably because japanese cars surged into the market when US cars were poo poo and sold on the basis of being Not poo poo. Japanese cars are still Not poo poo but chinese cars are poo poo.

They've made a small amount of headway here just by being so ridiculously cheap but their sales figures aren't even a point of a percentage of the likes of toyota.

The utes seem to be very slowly making headway.

In July:
- Greatwall V200/240 - 64
- Foton Tunland - 34
- Ford Ranger - 537
- Toyota Hilux - 411
- VW Amarok - 54

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

They'll be here eventually. Its inevitable. I imagine it'll go a lot like the Korean brands did. Early Hyundais and Kias were tragically bad but in the past decade or so they seem to have figured things out. The Top Gear episode with the Chinese cars pretty much said that they're catching up in a hurry. That's for the European market though so who knows when the US will start getting them. I certainly can't see myself rushing to the Landwind dealer to purchase a rolling death sentence anytime soon.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tater_salad posted:

Did grandma get charged at the scene did they draw blood did she admit she was on oxy? was there a police xar at the scene at some point?

Usually for dui / dwi they drag your rear end to the station first thing.

She went to the hospital. They don't take you to the station, but they draw blood at the hospital.
She may luck out if the police didn't request a blood draw at the hospital if she didn't admit, but the dui caller makes that unlikely. It is possible that the police just assumed it was a case of driving while old.

I hate RX duis. The defendants are almost always self-righteous pricks. I got news for you, I can buy a handle of Jim beam, but it doesn't mean I can drink it and drive. Doctors also, almost uniformly, do a piss poor job of explaining the dangers of driving on these meds and many of them don't actually seem to understand how much impairment they cause. I am seriously surprised they aren't getting sued right and left.
Most of the time, they just advise caution while operating heavy equipment and tell patients to just wait and see how it impacts them. The problem is that people, especially those who have been using for while have piss poor judgement. I think they are worried about looking like the bad guy and saying "just don't loving drive on these meds."

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

nm posted:

just don't loving drive on these meds.

I've been through this with one of my parents, it's obvious to say that one shouldn't be driving while on a heavy-duty Fentanyl/Oxy/Gabapentin cocktail. But what replaces the car when: you live alone, the kids are moved out, you live in the suburbs, bus and light rail service is timed such that a 20 minute ride by car to the clinic takes 1.5 hours one way, AND your immune system is compromised so you probably shouldn't be on the bus anyway? It's a losing proposition.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Das Volk posted:

If you're on the strongest painkiller there is, you REALLY shouldn't be operating a vehicle. I guess that little label on the bottle that says "don't drive while using this" isn't obvious enough.

Far from the strongest, but I do agree.

Between the gun lobby and AARP, old people are basically untouchable though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Back to mechanic failures:

Friend from FB posted this, it was a flashlight found a few days after a brake job

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes... lawyers don't get you out of tent city here. I think it's kinda funny - he lives in Fountain Hills which is about three miles from my house and that place is known for houses dedicated to distributing heroin/mdma/others. It's a weird little place, down in a valley and fairly expensive.

I worked at 20/20 in Fountain Hills for six months or so, and we revoked licenses from old people who couldn't see anymore with alarming frequency. They also kept driving to their follow-up appointments, after we had talked with the DMV and had their license revoked, with alarming frequency. Most of them had the attitude of "I'm rich, I'm old, and I live two houses from Joe Arpaio and know him personally so I don't give a gently caress." Almost 100% nice-old-person-cars, too. One guy had a Jaguar F-type R, we revoked his license because he suffers from cataracts and refuses surgery, and I still see him driving around a year later.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

nm posted:

Doctors also, almost uniformly, do a piss poor job of explaining the dangers of driving on these meds and many of them don't actually seem to understand how much impairment they cause.

I hosed up my back and was put on Flexeril and Vicodin together to manage the pain, and while I was still sitting on the table I got handed my initial dose of each in a little plastic tray with a paper cup. At checkout I was reading the documentation and they specifically call out each other on the Rx Factsheet that came with each, saying "under no circumstances take these together!" So I turned around and had to wait another hour to talk to the guy again:

"Hey man these both say don't take with the other"
:v: "Yeah you're gonna have a great time :wink:"
"Uh so can I drive, or what? Like I said, I drive for a living. And I drove here."
:v: "Sure man, don't worry, just go slow until you know how they're affecting you and just be careful"

Patient First in a nutshell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I've been through this with one of my parents, it's obvious to say that one shouldn't be driving while on a heavy-duty Fentanyl/Oxy/Gabapentin cocktail. But what replaces the car when: you live alone, the kids are moved out, you live in the suburbs, bus and light rail service is timed such that a 20 minute ride by car to the clinic takes 1.5 hours one way, AND your immune system is compromised so you probably shouldn't be on the bus anyway? It's a losing proposition.

YOU STAY THE gently caress HOME BECAUSE YOU'RE ON DRUGS

Edit: It may be worth noting that yes, I have in fact gone through this and guess what I didn't do because it's irresponsible and dangerous.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Das Volk posted:

While I 100% agree with you, there's plenty of prescription painkillers stronger than oxycodone, as was mentioned above. Fentanyl, oxymorphone, hydromorphone are the big ones that are scripted in the US, but diamorphine (heroin), buprenorphine and methadone are all used for pain as well in other countries. Sorry bout that pharmacology sperg.

Honestly though old folks are scary enough sober, even a few codeine are probably enough to get granny going with no tolerance.

Regarding chinese cars, my dad has a 2012 volvo xc70 and the number of things that have gone wrong with it before the 30k mile mark is just goddamned ridiculous and probably an omen of what is to come. Struts failing, vent motor intermittently dying when he went around corners, window regulators failing, headlights burning out within a year. Just absurd really. He was dealing with the vent fan thing at the same time as I was dealing with it in my 230k mile camry, and I made sure to rub that in whenever I had the chance.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 31, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I get the impression old people in America are all either straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting, or Hank Hill's dad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Or they act like assholes because they think they're entitled to do so because they're old.

Edit: Yeah I guess so.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 31, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Godholio posted:

Or they act like assholes because they think they're entitled to do so because they're old.

Hank Hill's dad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

That would be the "Or Hank Hill's dad".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qylnu1ctfnI

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

YOU STAY THE gently caress HOME BECAUSE YOU'RE ON DRUGS

Yeah this too, a couple weeks ago I was on the last day of a short Flexeril run (woo workplace whiplash) and my boss kept texting me with "Hey I know you're on Flexeril but we need you to come in anyway. There's a couple other guys out and we need you pretty bad." It's a 60-mile trip to work, where I'd be operating customer vehicles and heavy equipment; sure, I'll just turn the drug off and be right over. :shepicide:

I dunno why "currently on X non-driving drug" isn't a huge DUI red flag for anyone who knows what it does.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah this too, a couple weeks ago I was on the last day of a short Flexeril run (woo workplace whiplash) and my boss kept texting me with "Hey I know you're on Flexeril but we need you to come in anyway. There's a couple other guys out and we need you pretty bad." It's a 60-mile trip to work, where I'd be operating customer vehicles and heavy equipment; sure, I'll just turn the drug off and be right over. :shepicide:

I dunno why "currently on X non-driving drug" isn't a huge DUI red flag for anyone who knows what it does.

Haha... Flexeril has zero recreational value but it makes you PASS THE gently caress OUT, for anyone unfamiliar. Works great to stop loving muscle spasms though, good god.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

You move. That is what my grandparents did, they moved a few blocks from my parents to "active senior" apartment complex (until they got too far gone and went to a regular retirement place).
My parents thankfully live in a fairly walkable place.

We're talking about someone driving a newer Lexus, not a 98 cavalier. For those people, even the IE has curb to curb buses that can be reserved by disabled people. They're just poorly publicized.

Splizwarf posted:

Because people seem to think if it is prescribed, you're fine. Even doctors and pharmacists.
I had a client once who had been clearly out of her mind when on a battery of psych and pain meds (no alcohol or illegal meds) and her doctor was OUTRAGED that she was charged with a DUI despite her inability to walk, form a sentence, and not crash into a traffic signal control box.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 31, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nm posted:

You move. That is what my grandparents did, they moved a few blocks from my parents to "active senior" apartment complex (until they got too far gone and went to a regular retirement place).
My parents thankfully live in a fairly walkable place.

Sometimes this doesn't work.
My grandfather will not go into a senior apartment. My grandmother was about 6 years into alzheimers/dimentia before he started looking for a home. She was at the point where she was knocking on neighbors doors and telling them she was kidnapped and she didn't know who the strange man in her home was before he started looking for a place.

My grandfather is of "sound" mind. (He once drove the same day he was asleep in his chair and woke up fighting pirates because of the oxy). and WON'T go into a sr. apartment, wont' call the cleaning crew my parents&aunt/uncle hired for him, still insists on living alone. Yesterday we visited, and he got up out of his chair to swat the dog becuase he was barking.. and took a fall. The man is 90+ and just had the medical equivalent of a concrete patch on his back the day before.

Anyways back to mechanical failures instead of people failures

free flashlight.. NO wonder he was getting a rattle and lights turning on every time he hit a bump.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 31, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

On the other hand the scooter/dirt bike/atv markets have indeed been absolutely flooded.
From experience I can tell you that these things are as badly made as the SUVs. Unreliable deathtraps. My favorite is the ones -- quite a lot of them -- that say "ABS" on the front brakes. This is outright fraud, there's no such thing as ABS on any Chinese bike, and I cannot believe the attorney general doesn't crack down on these things. ABS is a genuine lifesaving feature on a bike, and lying to people about the presence of that feature should be a criminal offense. Worse than printing "AIRBAG" on a car steering wheel when there's no airbag in it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Maybe the hydraulics can't hold pressure long enough/build enough pressure to lock them up. That counts as ABS, right? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Abysmal breaking system? :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

Maybe the hydraulics can't hold pressure long enough/build enough pressure to lock them up. That counts as ABS, right? :v:

Hydraulics. Heh.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

From experience I can tell you that these things are as badly made as the SUVs. Unreliable deathtraps. My favorite is the ones -- quite a lot of them -- that say "ABS" on the front brakes. This is outright fraud, there's no such thing as ABS on any Chinese bike, and I cannot believe the attorney general doesn't crack down on these things. ABS is a genuine lifesaving feature on a bike, and lying to people about the presence of that feature should be a criminal offense. Worse than printing "AIRBAG" on a car steering wheel when there's no airbag in it.

Maybe the brake pads are made out of ABS plastic?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
While we're on the topic of ABS..

The 200SX got a stuck caliper in the rear leading to it making copious dust, being generally unsafe to drive on ice, and eating up the rotor and pads quickly. Since I never drive the car, I didn't realize its state until I got a phone call saying it refused to move forward. The pad had gotten eaten deeply enough in that corner that the backing plate floated free (no wire clips were installed back there for some reason) and got wedged in the caliper bracket, locking the slide in place and forcing full braking on that corner. That led to me doing a brake pad swap in a frozen gravel parking lot in the middle of the night a few months ago, followed by ordering new parts. Since there was brand new fresh meat in the back I figured it could wait for a little while, but now winter is coming again so I better get chopping.

To that effect, yesterday I replaced the caliper with a RockAuto reman and put on new rotors, slide pins, boots and pads and bled the old fluid (which was loving gross and full of bubbles and silt). The car is actually stunningly cheap as far as consumables; despite the fact that a rear disc brake SE-R is a relatively rare model, all of the parts are really cheap and I spent under $150 to get all this stuff (minus the $90 caliper).

When I got to the corner with the stuck caliper and removed its rotor, I found this:

It looks like iron filings shredded off the backing plate of the pads that accumulated onto the (magnetic) hall effect sensor for the ABS. Never seen anything like it before, and I'm sure it's part of the reason why the car had five-alarm ABS freakouts (but without raising an ABS computer error?) after the frozen-parking-lot pad replacement.

I also replaced the vent valve while I was working in that corner and found the old one was filled with dirt and some sort of green goo which I assume is ethanol contamination. The fitting on it was also cracked and leaking. Some jelly like fluid fell out of the charcoal canister where I removed the valve, so I used a vac bleeder and an improvised sealed fitting to try and vacuum some of it out. The valve itself appears to be NG and will not actuate from my usual method (shaking it aggressively) nor my more angered method of filling it with PB Blaster and then cramming it on the end of an air compressor until it pops off. Kudos to Hitachi to making this design run for sixteen years without service, though.

That repair solved the problem where it would shut off the pump every couple of mL of fill.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 31, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
In regard to lost tools, I lost a 5 € bit holder for a ratchet inside the engine bay, worst thing is, even after accelerating and braking there wasn't even a single noise.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes... lawyers don't get you out of tent city here. I think it's kinda funny - he lives in Fountain Hills which is about three miles from my house and that place is known for houses dedicated to distributing heroin/mdma/others. It's a weird little place, down in a valley and fairly expensive.

People get out of that all the time in AZ. You're watching too many political ads because every DUI lawyer I work with has literally dozens of cases a year where a DUI arrest was made in a collision (non-fatal) and has managed to get their client nothing more than a fine and probation

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Im actually really glad I got a DUI. It forced me to sit at home and rethink my life choices wrt constant drinking.

(I blew a .01 but p plates lol)

Lost my license for 6 months and had to start p plates. The kicker is that if I got done like 2 weeks later it wouldn't have been illegal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SEKCobra posted:

In regard to lost tools, I lost a 5 € bit holder for a ratchet inside the engine bay, worst thing is, even after accelerating and braking there wasn't even a single noise.

quoting this for future updates.

Seriously though, find that bit. I almost ended up with a wrench grenading my fan after I installed a shiny new radiator; luckily, I forced myself to do anal-retentive tool clean-up before finishing the project, so I realized I was missing it pretty quick.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wasabi the J posted:

Seriously though, find that bit. I almost ended up with a wrench grenading my fan after I installed a shiny new radiator; luckily, I forced myself to do anal-retentive tool clean-up before finishing the project, so I realized I was missing it pretty quick.

This goes for bolts too, especially in the bell housing area or anywhere else they might get caught somewhere and cause a disaster. A friend put a new crank position sensor in his comanche, dropped the upper bolt, couldn't find where it went. So he tossed a spare in and forgot about it.

A few hours later while driving it, it bounced up off the bottom of the bell housing, got caught between the pressure plate and bell housing, tore the poo poo out of it all the way around and put a couple fractures in, then made a 1.5" exit wound. In greasy cast aluminum. In a part that's no longer available anywhere but the junkyard.

One of my least favorite sounds is that of a bolt or socket dropping down through the engine bay, bouncing in a few random directions, and then... not hearing it hit the ground. :suicide:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Wasabi the J posted:

I dropped it off the plastic front down in front of the radiator. Checked everywhere, hit the plastic protection on the bottom to see if it was resting on that, but no rattling there. All I know is I heard a metallic impact, but I can't think of a place it could have gone. Since there are no moving parts or openings there (I think/hope) I am not to worried. Still is odd that there was no more hint of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

We have two types of pump nozzle:

This one seems to be the most common. You twist the barrel 90 degrees to lock it after inserting (yes you have to peer into it to line up the slots with the lugs on your car). The orange rubber protects you from frostbite from escaping gas when releasing. You don't have to hold it when filling.

This is the other type. Instead of a handle to lock, there is a lever. I prefer this type as you also rotate this lever 90 degrees to engage the bayonet (rather than just the barrel), and the lever lines up with the lugs on the car so there's no need to look at the end and try to line it up.

Okay, that is definitely better than what we have in Australia. So much so, that I'm damned if I can work out why we don't use it.

People still have to pay attention when filling, but they're far enough away not to take a spray of LPG in the face if something goes wrong and the button probably acts like an emergency stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

First thing I thought was wether or not my car could jump that