Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been getting pretty good buzz.

Oh and apparently DC is pitching a Supergirl series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Seeing as how even the otherwise-stellar DCAU couldn't make her anything more than a whiny, entitled jerk I'm not optimistic about a likely CW Supergirl series. It'll probably be Gossip Girl Mark II: with superpowers this time.

...actually I probably would watch that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who knows man, Arrow seemed like a sure disaster but between that and Flash DCTV seems to be in a pretty good place right now. Pending the goodness of Gotham of course.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also Constantine coming up.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Dan Fienberg's review of the pilot suggests something flawed but very interesting. Writer Bruno Heller (The Mentalist, but also Rome) and director Danny Cannon (The Tomorrow People, but also Nikita) are saying all the right things in interviews. They even admit they might have pushed the "supervillains before they were supervillains" angle too hard in the pilot and are resolving to pull back on it as the show goes forward.

I don't know, this has every chance of sucking, but it doesn't sound like something you could write off sight unseen.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Pilots always have the unfortunate job of having to basically introduce most if not all of the main cast, tell people why their characters are interesting, establish the tone of the series and the world and make it through a plot in so little time. You can do it, but if you have a fairly large cast like this (or say, Black Sails) it gets exponentially harder. And then people occasionally (not always wrongly) cry foul and wonder where all the subtlety went. That's why I stopped judging shows simply by their pilot if they get a series pickup because I'm sure the creators realize this too.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I pretty much stopped judging pilots when I looked back at all the shows I've watched and discovered that I only liked the Cheers, the Shield, Sopranos, and Deadwood pilots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lost pilot is pretty good.

I'm watching Defiance right now and it reminded me that there is nothing more inelegant and expository than a scifi show pilot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The lost pilot might legit be the best pilot ever made

The sopranos pilot is decent but not at all indicative of what the show is

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

zoux posted:

I'm watching Defiance right now and it reminded me that there is nothing more inelegant and expository than a scifi show pilot.

Don't let Defiance off the hook because of the pilot - that show has a ton of potential in terms of setting and wastes most of it in favor of another goddamn Old West analogue each and every week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not that bad actually. Not great but not awful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Lost pilot is pretty good.

Lost's pilot cost so much it got the head of the network removed for greenlighting it though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kaynorr posted:

Don't let Defiance off the hook because of the pilot - that show has a ton of potential in terms of setting and wastes most of it in favor of another goddamn Old West analogue each and every week.

Defiance didn't start so strong but it's actually pretty good now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

Defiance didn't start so strong but it's actually pretty good now.

Aw drat now it's gonna get cancelled for sure.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Party Plane Jones posted:

Lost's pilot cost so much it got the head of the network removed for greenlighting it though.

I hope they retroactively went back and gave him a big fat apology muffin basket after it turned out to be a hit at least.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I hope they retroactively went back and gave him a big fat apology muffin basket after it turned out to be a hit at least.

He was the previously on lost voice

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

He was the previously on lost voice

Cuse?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

DC does realize that their parent company owns a TV network right?

I know Gotham and Constantine are both on other networks but try for some vertical integration Warner Brothers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lloyd Braun, the guy who greenlit and financed the lost pilot

Also he originally came up with the idea for lost and made some unknown screenwriter who really wanted to work on alias, Damon lindelof, write it

Also he was Larry David's manager and is the inspiration for the character Lloyd Braun on Seinfeld

Also he codeveloped the pitch for the sopranos with David chase

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I could've sworn it was Cuse but I looked and believe it or not you were right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cuse was brought in as co showrunner by lindelof because he had never expected the script to be picked up, much less a series order, and lindelof is kind of a manic depressive dude who felt he was in way over his head so he brought in a former boss of his to reign him in cause Abrams basically went to lindelof "hey the island should be a character too, it should be mysterious okay deuces I'm off to go direct movies now"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Good. Alias is terrible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Toxxupation posted:

Also he originally came up with the idea for lost and made some unknown screenwriter who really wanted to work on alias, Damon lindelof, write it

Also he was Larry David's manager and is the inspiration for the character Lloyd Braun on Seinfeld

I love this story because it just proves being an ideas man means jack poo poo. I mean barely anyone remembers him but everyone will at least curse Abrams/Cuse/Lindelof to their graves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At least Cee Lo owned up to the comments and didn't say his account was hacked.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this? posted:

That seems premature.

It's true but they also got the worldwide rights, which is a pretty big coup...provided the show is a success.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like I usually have a pretty good feel for whether shows are going to fail or not but I have absolutely no read on Gotham. It could go either way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't it a procedural cop show on CBS? People eat that up even without the Batman stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't it a procedural cop show on CBS? People eat that up even without the Batman stuff.

It's on Fox, but luckily genre shows on Fox are always successful.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Sober posted:

Pilots always have the unfortunate job of having to basically introduce most if not all of the main cast, tell people why their characters are interesting, establish the tone of the series and the world and make it through a plot in so little time. You can do it, but if you have a fairly large cast like this (or say, Black Sails) it gets exponentially harder. And then people occasionally (not always wrongly) cry foul and wonder where all the subtlety went. That's why I stopped judging shows simply by their pilot if they get a series pickup because I'm sure the creators realize this too.

I happen to know Todd Vanderwerff online (casually, not like close friends or anything), and had a whole long argument with him over whether Flashforward would be any good. I read the pilot's script, and predicted doom. He said it was really promising, and could be a big hit.
:smug:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

muscles like this? posted:

There's also Constantine coming up.
This, I have the least faith in. I really think it should have been a cable or premium channel show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Harlock posted:

This, I have the least faith in. I really think it should have been a cable or premium channel show.

Yeah, literally everything we've heard about it has diminished my expectations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What are some interesting random episodes to watch of stuff like the various Law & Orders, CSIs, NCIS', Criminal Minds, or really any episodic show where you can just watch a random episode and not really miss anything.

I mostly watch serial dramas, but occasionally I'll drop in on something episodic for a an episode or two. I watched a few of the L&O SVU episodes with special guest stars like Martin Short and Robin Williams and those were pretty decent.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Toxxupation posted:

That same season he also greenlit Desperate Housewives- another incredibly expensive pilot that helped save the network.

Is anyone going to make a League thread. Or am I the only one watching?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought the Constantine pilot was pretty good, although I also haven't read the comic so I don't have any kind of predisposition to the original material and don't really care about things like him not being able to smoke on screen. The change with the female lead could potentially not pay off and might be tricky to pull off smoothly, but I also thought she was one of the weaker parts of the pilot so I don't mind the showrunners going in a different direction.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Is The League even watchable at this point? I remember really enjoying most of Seasons 1-3 but after that it felt like the show took a nosedive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

-Blackadder- posted:

What are some interesting random episodes to watch of stuff like the various Law & Orders, CSIs, NCIS', Criminal Minds, or really any episodic show where you can just watch a random episode and not really miss anything.

I mostly watch serial dramas, but occasionally I'll drop in on something episodic for a an episode or two. I watched a few of the L&O SVU episodes with special guest stars like Martin Short and Robin Williams and those were pretty decent.

I really like Elementary. Lucy Liu and Zero Cool have great chemistry and they have some fun guest stars. Most episodes are at least good.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Lugaloco posted:

Is The League even watchable at this point? I remember really enjoying most of Seasons 1-3 but after that it felt like the show took a nosedive.

I agree, it really went off the rails and got pretty unfunny. I've filed it away as Comedy I Want To Like Because It Used To Be Good, right next to Workaholics and Who's Line Is It Anyway, which means I'll probably still check out the first couple of episodes this season just in case.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

For original Law & Order you might want to watch the season 6 finale "Aftershock." Unlike regular episodes this one doesn't actually involve a crime and instead follows the cast after they witness an execution.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just read an article which mentioned that Lifetime's Brittany Murphy movie was filmed over a whole 16 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

-Blackadder- posted:

Without a Trace S1's "Suspect" and "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?" (both linked, but aired at separate points in the season) rate among my favourite stand-alone (well, stand-together) procedural episodes.

• Locked thread