Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ijustam posted:

School bus was picking up kids this morning and opposite direction stopped, as they're supposed to. Everyone traveling towards the stoppage slammed on their brakes as they didn't see the stoppage occur, 3 cars had to go onto the shoulder, and a dump truck almost took the cake. :stonk:

I was turning left and saw the whole thing and my anus was clenched the entire time. Motherfuckers need to pay attention.

I'm going to get rich selling a software / hardware combination to the masses. it includes a forward mounted bluetooth camera, and a program with SMS and facebook connectivity which has a background with a live feed from the camera. PATENT PENDING

People piloting huge slabs of mass need to pay more attention to their surroundings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

General_Failure posted:

People piloting huge slabs of mass need to pay more attention to their surroundings.

This, a million times this. It scares the poo poo out of me all the things that people do or think are more important instead of piloting their 4,000lb kinetic missile.

I was almost hit by one of those fuckers today, dude looking into his lap didn't see a slight s-curve and I had to drive onto the sidewalk to avoid a head-on collision. :argh:

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

nsaP posted:

I know people love the entitled cyclist but I just met an entitled jogger. Running toward me in my lane in the street, I see him coming and have my two left wheels on the center line paint, and he makes a motion to me that appears to be "Get over".

The best (worst) is when there is a sidewalk RIGHT THERE they are ignoring and choosing to be in the road with vehicular traffic.

Apparently its some voodoo about asphalt being softer than concrete, and therefor easier on joints, but just doing a quick risk analysis comparing negligible joint saving asphalt vs the very real increased risk of being hit by a car shows you how ridiculous it is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sbyers77 posted:

The best (worst) is when there is a sidewalk RIGHT THERE they are ignoring and choosing to be in the road with vehicular traffic.

Apparently its some voodoo about asphalt being softer than concrete, and therefor easier on joints, but just doing a quick risk analysis comparing negligible joint saving asphalt vs the very real increased risk of being hit by a car shows you how ridiculous it is.

Running on sidewalks can suck because it's full of cracks and there are all these ups & downs from driveways, but it's still better than running in the road because, you know, the sidewalk isn't full of 2-ton vehicles traveling 30 mph.

Usually. As this thread shows, sometimes the sidewalk does have cars on it.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

sbyers77 posted:

It is in fact softer, but not soft enough to make any appreciable difference if it's a human running on it.

That bullshit myth needs to go away, the only time pedestrians should be in the road is when it's an area that does not have sidewalks at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Roads are often crowned too so running on the side isn't great for your body.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

At least around here, the problem with running on the sidewalk is that people often park their cars two deep in their driveways, so the second one is in the part of their driveway that crosses the sidewalk. Then you have to run in the street to go around it, so you might as well just run in the street the whole way instead of darting in and out.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What kind of suburban hellhole do you live in where blocking sidewalks isn't a ticketable offence? Remind me to never move out of the city.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

thelightguy posted:

What kind of suburban hellhole do you live in where blocking sidewalks isn't a ticketable offence? Remind me to never move out of the city.

In the US, I believe it's ticket-able anywhere, as it's against the ADA (Americans with Disabilites Act) to block a sidewalk with your car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It may be illegal, but it requires someone to enforce it too. Which either requires someone to call it in or a cop who gives a poo poo to roll by.

Basically people can probably get away with it 99% of the time.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

People can break up on good terms, you know.

And I could sledgehammer my nads, but that would make about as much sense as doing favors for an exgirlfriend.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sbyers77 posted:

The majority of roads where I live are concrete. So are the sidewalks.

If you get into the older parts of DFW, then yeah, you run into asphalt. But any street around me, put down in the past 25+ years, is going to be concrete (with asphalt patchwork for potholes, until they can get out and do a proper concrete repair). Plano has been pretty good about responding to pothole/street/sidewalk repair requests when you submit them online; they'd come out and marked the sidewalk in front of my house within 24 hours with neon paint after I'd submitted a request just asking "Who's responsible for a section of sidewalk lifting - homeowner or city?" and included my address. It'll be a bit before it's fixed, so it's still a trip hazard, but that section is also spraypainted bright rear end neon green.

Even Main St, through downtown, in the city I work in (Frisco TX), is cement now; it's a city that dates back to the late 1800s. Main St is still a 2 lane road through downtown, they've just modernized it. I rarely see asphalt in that city except on the oldest side streets and alleys in town.

It's a much noisier ride than asphalt. :argh:

Oh yeah, people still run in the street in my subdivision. The entire subdivision is paved with concrete, with perfectly usable sidewalks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 9, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Running on sidewalks can suck because it's full of cracks and there are all these ups & downs from driveways, but it's still better than running in the road because, you know, the sidewalk isn't full of 2-ton vehicles traveling 30 mph.

Usually. As this thread shows, sometimes the sidewalk does have cars on it.

I see joggers in the street even though the sidewalks here are perfect. Not that much of anything in metro Phoenix is truly old, but the oldest in-use infrastructure in my part of town is maaaaybe 20 years old and that would be pushing it (15 is more realistic and a lot of it is newer than that). The sidewalks are straight, smooth, no trees to push them up or anything, but you'll still see some jackass jogging in the bike lane.

If you really want to run on a smooth and softer surface, find a high school and run on their track. At least here the school tracks are open most evenings / weekend days for whoever wants to run on them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fakeaccount posted:

And I could sledgehammer my nads, but that would make about as much sense as doing favors for an exgirlfriend.

your paradigm's a bit narrow there mate

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

your paradigm's a bit narrow there mate

That's because he's been sledging it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
At least you haven't had a guy going against traffic on rollerblades weaving back and forth on the busiest street in the area. That chode is asking to get hit, but at least he was wearing a helmet :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

sbyers77 posted:

Oh yeah, there was a sidewalk there. If there wasn't I probably wouldn't consider him to be dickish but there was. Apparently that's not how it works tho, and even though I was nearly in the oncoming lane, that's not enough. When Jimmy Jogger is coming down the road I'm supposed to get the hell out of his way with no regard for anything else.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hey lady that almost hit me as I was following you out of the parking lot, maybe you should check your mirrors before slamming on your brakes and throwing your car into reverse. There might be someone behind you!

At least I know my horn works.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

It may be illegal, but it requires someone to enforce it too. Which either requires someone to call it in or a cop who gives a poo poo to roll by.

Basically people can probably get away with it 99% of the time.

Call the non-emergency police line and complain.

We did this to a neighbor at my parents house a few years ago (grandma lived in a care facility a block away and we would wheelchair her back and forth). A patrol car was there within half an hour talking to the neighbors. Never had them do it again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

Hey lady that almost hit me as I was following you out of the parking lot, maybe you should check your mirrors before slamming on your brakes and throwing your car into reverse. There might be someone behind you!

At least I know my horn works.

Same thing happened to me in a Chic-Fil-A parking lot in my friend's shitbox Tercel. The horn didn't work, but I discovered that when I'm panicking, I yell "BEEEEP!"

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

At least you haven't had a guy going against traffic on rollerblades weaving back and forth on the busiest street in the area. That chode is asking to get hit, but at least he was wearing a helmet :v:

We have a group of people who have been rollerblading in the street all over the city, and they aren't making any attempt at doing it safely. Blocking lanes, wandering into oncoming traffic, running red lights that have crossing traffic, etc. They'll be in a clump, filling their lane, and just cruise leisurely down busy streets in the middle of downtown during midday traffic. What, do you want to get hit by a car? Who even rollerblades any more?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hate State Fair time in my city. On my route to and from work, they just swap the 40 MPH signs by the fairground with 25 MPH signs and do nothing else to warn people about it. I got a speeding ticket there last year because I'd just come back from a month-long trip and wasn't on the lookout, so now I notice the signs and drive down that stretch at 25 MPH.

Of course everyone else is still driving at 50 MPH and road raging like loving crazy at me, tailgating and cutting me off. What the hell do I even do besides go miles out of my way to take a different route?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I saw this after class in the grocery store parking lot:

My guess is the guy came in the entrance way where the truck is pulling out and turned left into the parking lot. Must have had his head down texting or something, and plowed right into the light pole, knocking the light pole and concrete base right over. Thank god there wasn't anyone under it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I hate State Fair time in my city. On my route to and from work, they just swap the 40 MPH signs by the fairground with 25 MPH signs and do nothing else to warn people about it. I got a speeding ticket there last year because I'd just come back from a month-long trip and wasn't on the lookout, so now I notice the signs and drive down that stretch at 25 MPH.

Of course everyone else is still driving at 50 MPH and road raging like loving crazy at me, tailgating and cutting me off. What the hell do I even do besides go miles out of my way to take a different route?

drat this sounds super annoying and dangerous (creating such a large disparity in speed). Is there somewhere you can call your State DOT and complain?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Not my pic, but these are the people you share the road with in Pittsburgh.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

antisodachrist posted:

Not my pic, but these are the people you share the road with in Pittsburgh.

You're just jealous that his sun visor is bigger than yours. And external.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Summer in alberta.jpg

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Haha, I had the page scrolled all the way to the bottom and thought it was a picture of mr tank commander there. Then scrolled up.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Just an average commute in Los Angeles.

Not shown: Complete lack of break lights or signals

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

sloshmonger posted:

Just an average commute in Los Angeles.

Not shown: Complete lack of break lights or signals

I might be talking a bit too much sense here, but why not put the old, disgusting water heater, you know, inside the van?

Fake Edit: Don't want to get rusty water all over your mobile rape dungeon carpet. That would be gross!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, I forgot Food Lion even existed. They shuttered all of their stores here in the 90s.

The one down the street from here is now an alternative school for the local ISD, another one nearby is a Goodwill store. I've even seen one turned into a post office.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn, I forgot Food Lion even existed. They shuttered all of their stores here in the 90s.

Where are you supposed to buy your sweet breads and other questionably edible animal parts from now?

(or was that just the one by me when I lived in NC?)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I saw a whole frozen rabbit in a Food Lion a couple months ago.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Chicken "Paws"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

One of my favorites was when i found whole cow tongues and licked my wife with one of them (in the package). She's like "what are you doing? OH EWWWWW THATS DISGUSTING WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Lengua is delicious and I will hear no opposition to that fact :colbert:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Lengua is delicious and I will hear no opposition to that fact :colbert:

Of all of the 'weird' ingredients you can find in a burrito at a taco shop, lengua is the best. Tripas and cabeza can gently caress off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

pkells posted:

Chicken "Paws"

Having finally tried chicken feet, I see no reason to eat them unless you are in desperate need of food AND you're raising your own chickens so your choices are to eat them or throw them out.

We had chickens when I was growing up, I've seen what they step in with those feet, I'll pass. (hint: it's their own poo poo, constantly)

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
My impression of it was it was a waste of time. Almost all bone, you spend your whole time searching for meat. No special flavour the rest of the chicken doesn't have either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Some of the Sheep posted:

My impression of it was it was a waste of time. Almost all bone, you spend your whole time searching for meat. No special flavour the rest of the chicken doesn't have either.

I've never eaten them, but just looking at them this is the impression I get. The only thing I can see using them for would be to make some stock.