Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boatswain
May 29, 2012

smg77 posted:

Same reason most shows get canceled. Not enough people watched it.

Figured as much, too bad people don't have taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

If you don't know who that is as Hook, try and guess without looking.

What am I looking at here? Other than garbage?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

SALT CURES HAM posted:

What am I looking at here? Other than garbage?

NBC are planing another musical special.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
It's Christopher Walken as Hook. I think I might have to watch it now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaggitz posted:

Look at that face he's making, jeez. Did someone stick a watch in his rear end or something?

this was a good joke

i liked this joke and it shouldve gotten more kudos

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mo0 posted:

Is that Emma Watson as Peter Pan?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravane posted:

Is that Emma Watson as Peter Pan?
It's Alison Williams from Girls.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

New Girl scored a 1.3 and Mindy Project scored a 1.0. Any chance of Fox cancelling this year?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mo0 posted:

He looks a lot more like Tim Curry in that image but it can't be him since Tim Curry is near death still. :smith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's Alison Williams from Girls.

She looks like Mr. B Natural.

Party Plane Jones posted:

He looks a lot more like Tim Curry in that image but it can't be him since Tim Curry is near death still. :smith:

When did this happen :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He had a stroke a while back and apparently isn't really recovering from it that well. It's why when Psych did a Clue episode he was absent.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Blackish was pretty drat good. Felt a bit too much like a multicam at times, but the cast was uniformly great (including the children, which is a rarity) and I thought it was funny as hell. Surprised to see that there wasn't a thread.

Also I put on tonight's episode of Modern Family. I know I haven't watched in a few seasons but I was shocked the first time I saw Luke.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
He looks nothing like I remember watching the first 4 or so seasons.

Puberty is a helluva drug hormone cocktail.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

lelandjs posted:

So Blackish was pretty drat good. Felt a bit too much like a multicam at times, but the cast was uniformly great (including the children, which is a rarity) and I thought it was funny as hell. Surprised to see that there wasn't a thread.
It was one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

New Girl scored a 1.3 and Mindy Project scored a 1.0. Any chance of Fox cancelling this year?

Mindy Project is produced by NBCUniversal so it's probably dead but New Girl might get another short season to hit 100 episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that I think is kind of weird is how Raising Hope had so-so to poor ratings but now that it's in syndication everyone is falling all over themselves to advertise how they have it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That was fast.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how syndication = megabucks. What's the point of getting to 100 episodes if no one watches it to begin with? Why would anyone want to syndicate a show that gets crap ratings?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I don't understand how syndication = megabucks. What's the point of getting to 100 episodes if no one watches it to begin with? Why would anyone want to syndicate a show that gets crap ratings?

Because "crap" ratings on a broadcast network are decent ratings for cable networks that show a bunch of syndicated content.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's probably also cheaper to do that than to actually produce your own content.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lelandjs posted:

And while Gravity Falls didn't return tonight (it came back a few weeks ago) it did have the best episode of its season yet with a "dating sim meets Five Nights At Freddie's" storyline. Why isn't anyone watching this show?

I don't want to watch it, because bronies have made me wary of watching any children's show and suddenly being "that guy." I won't let them get me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turtlicious posted:

I don't want to watch it, because bronies have made me wary of watching any children's show and suddenly being "that guy." I won't let them get me.

There's a big difference between being a fan of an animated TV show and being a Brony. Hell, I'll cop to watching the first two seasons of MLP. But I wasn't part of the online fandom, never bought any toys, never discussed the episodes or characters in earnest in public.

And yeah, there are those kind of fans about Gravity Falls too. Those kind of fans have always existed. Proto Bronies (furries, really) were the cause of Tiny Toons Adventures' cancellation.

I enjoy animated shows, sometimes more than live action ones. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Justice League are both in my top 10 favorite shows of all time. Just ignore the bad apples and watch what you want to.

[Edit: And it's not like bad fans are limited to animated shows. At the height of Lost's popularity the majority of the online fan base was straight up insane. Supernatural fans send death threats to the actor's wives. Fans are loving nuts.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 25, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Proto Bronies (furries, really) were the cause of Tiny Toons Adventures' cancellation.

I kind of want to hear more about this...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I kind of want to hear more about this...

Here's an article about it: http://web.archive.org/web/20061006003942/http://www.crushyiffdestroy.com/show/falk

[Edit: Link is kinda :nms:. I think that some of the VAs have talked about it in a documentary or podcast I watched recently, too. I'd say Rob Paulsen's Talkin' Toons except he's probably the most positive person on earth and would never discuss this kind of thing.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 25, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PostNouveau posted:

Because there's literally hundreds of cable networks, they're all starved for content, most are desperately trying to be profitable, and so will syndicate literally anything as long as it's cheap enough because someone will watch it, and that is all that's needed

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Huh. Today I learned not only about the demise of Tiny Toons, but that I am not nearly as pathetic as I sometimes fear I am.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Toxxupation posted:

Because there's literally hundreds of cable networks, they're all starved for content, most are desperately trying to be profitable, and so will syndicate literally anything as long as it's cheap enough because someone will watch it, and that is all that's needed

I would really like to find the cable networks that are so starved for content that the rerun rights to a show like Hart of Dixie look appealing.

Actually no, no I wouldn't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

I have a feeling that this forum isn't quite the target demo for that kinda show.
Nice to hear it's actually a good show though, the commercials have been really off-putting.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

...okay, and then there's this.

JohnSherman posted:

I would really like to find the cable networks that are so starved for content that the rerun rights to a show like Hart of Dixie look appealing.

Actually no, no I wouldn't.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see that on CMT in a few years.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 25, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

I have a feeling that this forum isn't quite the target demo for that kinda show.
Nice to hear it's actually a good show though, the commercials have been really off-putting.

The commercials didn't do a good job of demonstrating the actual point of the show, which is that Anthony Anderson's character is completely wrong about what it means to be black. They just offered his point of view and not the numerous other characters that disagreed or refuted it.

And as for SA not matching the target demo... the thing is, the show isn't simply about being black. Plus I'm pretty sure there are some black goons in TV IV. There has to be, right?

There were a couple moments where I was thinking "is it okay to be laughing right now? Have I earned the right to?" But that's the point. The show's message is that interpreting yourself based off of how you think other people see you and expect you to behave and act and react is a bad thing to do, when you should really just be cool with who you are and own it.

So yeah, I found some stuff funny that my mixed race friend (the one who thinks that white people don't deserve to be rappers) would probably give me some poo poo for laughing at BECAUSE HOW COULD I POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND? But gently caress it. The jokes are good, the cast is winsome (but not pandering), the underlying message is great, and I'm glad that there's a sitcom about black people that isn't written by Tyler loving Perry.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 25, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Boatswain posted:

Anyone know why Chicago Code was cancelled? It is a great programme so far.

Honestly, compared to other ventures Shawn Ryan was involved in - especially The Shield & Terriers - it was incredibly weak-sauce. One of my biggest gripes about The Chicago Code is it spent more time TELLING us how Chicago was corrupt systemically instead of SHOWING us. Chicago could have easily been Toronto or St. Louis after you strip away some of the back story. Beyond that, watching cop cars fishtail during chases is the closest thing the show came to a signature style.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gravity Falls owns and has seriously stepped it up this season. I'd recommend any other s2 episode over the latest one though, which felt the most like a season 1 joint. I've heard good things about Black-ish so I'll check that poo poo out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

I kinda put a hold on Mindy after the Xmas episode in the 1st season where they made Josh a bad guy and it just sat badly, was too many other shows I was watching anyway etc. I blasted through it over the summer to catch up, and I'm quite enjoying it now. Think between the pair of those shows, I prefer Mindy even if it's only because they use their Happy Endings alum better than New Girl does. Also Mac from Always Sunny was great in the premiere episode this season.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Xarthor posted:

Law & Order: SVU's season opener is tonight. Is the show still any good? I stopped watching when Stabler left. I used to be a huge SVU junkie but is it worth watching anymore?
This season opener was pretty boring/average but the new detective was kind of (unintentionally?) hilarious.

Last season had a recurring antagonist (actually from the previous previous season finale) who repeatedly escaped from prison or sentencing to kidnap Benson. That was really awful.

Madkal posted:

As for as 90's cartoons go, I think X-Men has aged the worst of the bit. It was better than Spiderman even when both were still on but between dodgy animation and the TV censors X-Men has really shown it's age (plus the awful 90's costumes are laughable now). Batman, as was stated above had different animation studios and it shows. I always found the better episodes to be the more character driven stuff (Appointment in Crime Alley for instance) and it goes to show the excellent writing.
Another great cartoon, heavily influenced by Batman TAS, was Gargoyles, which despite some dodgy animation as well, had some really really excellent storylines that dealt with some heavy poo poo (hey, a cartoon had a main character actually get shot with an actual gun).
Superman TAS was also excellent and more of a lead in into JL.
Nah, Spider-Man ages worse than X-Men because of the copious use of CGI. Also the opening song is even more painfully 90s than X-Men's.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Second season of Iron Man was actually really good. Some say the same thing about the second season of FF but I never watched it myself.
Yes, second seasons of Iron Man and Fantastic Four were fantastic. You can tell they just completely overhauled the creative staff.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see that on CMT in a few years.

I'm pretty sure it's already running on CMT

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cardboard Box A posted:

This season opener was pretty boring/average but the new detective was kind of (unintentionally?) hilarious.

Last season had a recurring antagonist (actually from the previous previous season finale) who repeatedly escaped from prison or sentencing to kidnap Benson. That was really awful.

Nah, Spider-Man ages worse than X-Men because of the copious use of CGI. Also the opening song is even more painfully 90s than X-Men's.

Yes, second seasons of Iron Man and Fantastic Four were fantastic. You can tell they just completely overhauled the creative staff.

The Iron Man cartoon had the best opening theme song.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

But it taught us such interesting new words!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

raditts posted:

But it taught us such interesting new words!

I imagine latin letters all start to look the same when you've got no idea what the words mean. The malnutrition probably doesn't help either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Yock is how it's pronounced though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Blackish was pretty goddamn solid and has potential, The Cast has great chemistry, some of the jokes missed, but I liked it, and I went in expecting to completely hate it.

And as someone who has been asked the silliest and borderline racist things as a black dude at work, I can't help but laugh at everything involving his job.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, Modern Family was meta this week. Three days after Sarah Hyland's vagina hit the web, they air an episode about Hyland's character putting nude videos of herself online. :ironicat:

• Locked thread