Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Clicker Heroes looks pretty fun, but I don't see it getting any faster than it gets after leveling up a few things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Merijn posted:

Clicker Heroes looks pretty fun, but I don't see it getting any faster than it gets after leveling up a few things.

They just a few days ago implemented a new prestige system that's going to make things get very different after several resets.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno, I haven't seen a single ancient that seems to worth spending hero souls on yet, so I just keep gaining 10 or so souls each reset. Are any of them actually good?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 25, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sindai posted:

I dunno, I haven't seen a single ancient that seems to worth spending hero souls on yet, so I just keep gaining 10 or so souls each reset. Are any of them actually good?

These ones are really good, especially Vaagur. a 75% cooldown reduction means that you can have some abilities on almost constantly and enables a skill combo that slowly increases your dps at an exponential rate: 8-6-9. 8-9. 8-6-9. 8-9.

Siyalatas/Bonus idle DPS (25%/level)
Libertas/Bonus idle Gold (25%/level)
Vaagur/Reduced skill cooldown (-5%/level, cap -75%)
Atman/Increased Primal chance (1%/level, cap 25%)
Solomon/Bonus Primal Hero Souls (5%/level, diminishes starting at 100%)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The cooldown ancient is handy if you can max it out; you'll have less waiting to smack around bosses and multiply damage and such. Also you can buy a new set of ancients if you don't like the ones you have available.

e:f;b

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Morgulis give +11% hero soul DPS every level with no cap, that owns too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dieting Hippo posted:

Morgulis give +11% hero soul DPS every level with no cap, that owns too.

I'm not a huge fan of that guy. He's probably worth it once you have hundreds and hundreds of hero souls, but basically you get only 1% from each level because unspent souls give 10%.
If you spent 16 souls to unlock him, you'll only break even once you've invested 160 levels into him.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are upgrades purchased with Angels in Adventure Capitalist permanent or do I need to re-buy them every time I reset?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You re-buy them. That's why there's a confirmation dialog for upgrades that would cost a significant fraction of your current angels.

Though sometimes you do want to do it anyway. For example, spending a third of your angels for 5x profit is a good trade as long as you wait to earn an order of magnitude more angels before resetting again.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

People in the Adventure Capitalist chat seem to recommend resetting when you (at least) double your Angels, and purchasing Angel Manager upgrades that cost up to 10% of your current Angel count.

I checked in on my Clicker Heroes tab about a week after I closed it and it generated 600 billion gold since last time. :stare: the enemies flash by so quicky that I can't even click them manually.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
The last few upgrades in AC are a real chore. Half a week at least to double your angels, no achievement boosts, and the first of them skips a full suffix. I might be done with the game in a month of nothing.

Clicker heroes is neat but the prestige seems glacially paced especially since they fling 30 of them at you free. Does it pick up?

Also up to space walls and about to do my third reset when I'm home today

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Eldercain posted:

Clicker heroes is neat but the prestige seems glacially paced especially since they fling 30 of them at you free. Does it pick up?
As far as I can tell, not really. I only got like 10-12 per reset several resets in a row so I quit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sindai posted:

As far as I can tell, not really. I only got like 10-12 per reset several resets in a row so I quit.
The trick is to use Dark Ritual spam to progress REALLY far before a reset - the formula for souls from Primal Bosses takes the level into account at a greater than 1:1 rate, so later Primals are worth dozens and eventually hundreds of Souls.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I don't know if the formula still holds true, but a guy on the official subreddit for Clicker Heroes posted that the maximum dps button order was: 8, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7. That's what I've been using and it pushes you up through the next boss handily. The other tip I read was to get all hero upgrades and then focus your leveling entirely on Treebeast, Ivan, and Brittany. Heroes get a x10 multiplier at level 1000 so getting Treebeast to 1000 should be a priority.

With the ancients that increase Primal Souls given and chance of Primals, I'm getting about 40 per reset by level 200 with 300 souks banked. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to upgrade ancients without cutting too far into my prestige "profit".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FadedReality posted:

I don't know if the formula still holds true, but a guy on the official subreddit for Clicker Heroes posted that the maximum dps button order was: 8, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7. That's what I've been using and it pushes you up through the next boss handily. The other tip I read was to get all hero upgrades and then focus your leveling entirely on Treebeast, Ivan, and Brittany. Heroes get a x10 multiplier at level 1000 so getting Treebeast to 1000 should be a priority.

With the ancients that increase Primal Souls given and chance of Primals, I'm getting about 40 per reset by level 200 with 300 souks banked. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to upgrade ancients without cutting too far into my prestige "profit".

This'll be useful to you then:
http://repl.it/0B1/35

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This'll be useful to you then:
http://repl.it/0B1/35

Oh drat, I thought that was just some gold per second calculator. I didn't know it also advised you on how to maximize gold per second with your hero souls. Stupid loving clicker games let go of my brain :argh:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Every time I've used it, it's just spat out gold per second. What do you need to do to get it to suggest something?

e: Oh, I need more hero souls.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 2, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

These ones are really good, especially Vaagur. a 75% cooldown reduction means that you can have some abilities on almost constantly and enables a skill combo that slowly increases your dps at an exponential rate: 8-6-9. 8-9. 8-6-9. 8-9.

So... Was this changed recently? I bought vaagur and wasted a large portion of my souls upgrading him to max. I tried that combo, but pressing 8-9 did nothing but waste those two skills. It didn't do a thing to either one of them, and certainly nothing to the Dark Ritual I had activated 15 minutes prior. The 8-6-9 part worked ok though, but I still have to wait an hour to do the DR again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

neogeo0823 posted:

So... Was this changed recently? I bought vaagur and wasted a large portion of my souls upgrading him to max. I tried that combo, but pressing 8-9 did nothing but waste those two skills. It didn't do a thing to either one of them, and certainly nothing to the Dark Ritual I had activated 15 minutes prior. The 8-6-9 part worked ok though, but I still have to wait an hour to do the DR again.
It was not changed! I'm doing it now. 869 gives you an energized DR with an hour on the cooldown. Then, without using any other skills in the middle, energize reload (that's 89), which reloads the previous two skills (except you can't reload energize) so it should bring DR to being ready.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It was not changed! I'm doing it now. 869 gives you an energized DR with an hour on the cooldown. Then, without using any other skills in the middle, energize reload (that's 89), which reloads the previous two skills (except you can't reload energize) so it should bring DR to being ready.

Hmm. Maybe I used a skill and didn't think about it or something. I do instinctively hit 1-4-5 when a chest appears... I'll try again.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Confirming that the most likely event was that you hit something in-between the combo's steps, doing so sets you back to beginning of the combo.

There are two types of heroes that most merit gilding: the first are the "450%" heroes (heroes that have three "100%" and one "150%" self boosters), the second is Frostleaf. While the early 450%s are a good place to start, don't rule out later ones, as you'll eventually bring them up to level 1000 and further during particularly long runs. There are a handful of heroes that have less that 450% but not that much lower (the Wandering Fisherman clocks in at 300%, for example), and if you don't want to burn Souls on the reroll you can probably leave them gilded as well. The only ones that you should ALWAYS reroll are the Betty Clicker types that have virtually no bonus to themselves.

Take a look at my current spread of gilding:

I am considering re-rolling Midas (no personal % bonus) and Amenhotep (a mere 100%). If I start floating a lot more souls I MIGHT swap into rerolling ALL non-450%/Frostleaf heroes, but for now I'm OK with what I've got.

Currently on level 294, and whenever primals pop up around this tier they tend to drop around 20 souls. I intend to go for the long haul this time around before ascending, as I want to seriously upgrade my ancients. On that end I have a maxed out Vaagur, level 5 Siyalatas/Liberta, level 30 Morgulis, and lastly a level 6 Dogcog I'm testing out for the purpose of long ascensions, since at max level a 50% off the price of hero levels should speed up the process immensely.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KazigluBey posted:

Currently on level 294, and whenever primals pop up around this tier they tend to drop around 20 souls. I intend to go for the long haul this time around before ascending, as I want to seriously upgrade my ancients. On that end I have a maxed out Vaagur, level 5 Siyalatas/Liberta, level 30 Morgulis, and lastly a level 6 Dogcog I'm testing out for the purpose of long ascensions, since at max level a 50% off the price of hero levels should speed up the process immensely.
Do you know about the calculator already? You probably have too few souls. But I'm only saying this because I always did before it was linked to me!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Dogcog at max level is equivalent to a multiplicative 2X multiplier.

If it cuts your souls by more than half, you should wait.

The calculator is useful but it is a bit lacking when figuring out whether or not to buy the first level of an ancient.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm playing Clicker Heroes very casually, can someone explain souls to me?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The actual correct answer is to reroll every single gild onto Brittany. Nobody beats her cost:DPS ratio at high levels. The higher up you go the bigger the diminishing returns get, even at the >1000 levels. Ivan doesn't beat her because he has a lower multiplier, and she outruns Treebeast around level 1500 or so.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Merijn posted:

I'm playing Clicker Heroes very casually, can someone explain souls to me?

After floor 100 you get a soul on 100 and there's a chance that a boss will have some every 5 floors afterwards. Each one gives you 10% bonus to your damage and click dps.

You can trade them for ancients which have special powers like increasing idle DPS or lowering cooldowns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You also get 1 soul for every 2000 hero levels you have.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Ah thanks, I thought it was something you got when you reset, but I couldn't find a reset option anywhere. CC ruined me. :shobon:

vvv D'oh.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 2, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Merijn posted:

Ah thanks, I thought it was something you got when you reset, but I couldn't find a reset option anywhere. CC ruined me. :shobon:

You do need to reset to bank them.

To reset you need to upgrade Amenhotep, who is one of the mid-late heroes.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
How soon would I be looking to max cdr ancient? I only have 40 souls and 20 in the wings. Will 75% speed up the soul gathering process significantly?

e: Also since this game is another one of those "doesn't explain anything" type of games: it looks like the 1.05 multiplier works for the entire 10 level span. Since "world" isn't really referenced anywhere (maybe the tutorial? That was a long time ago), it means as long as the tileset is the same. I'm pretty sure knowing that I can get at least another 10 levels out of this before I need to reset again.

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 2, 2014

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

LAY-ZX posted:

The actual correct answer is to reroll every single gild onto Brittany. Nobody beats her cost:DPS ratio at high levels. The higher up you go the bigger the diminishing returns get, even at the >1000 levels. Ivan doesn't beat her because he has a lower multiplier, and she outruns Treebeast around level 1500 or so.

I seem to remember a discussion (not on this site) where someone had calculated cost/benefit for most heroes and said The Masked Samurai was the most efficient, though?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

I seem to remember a discussion (not on this site) where someone had calculated cost/benefit for most heroes and said The Masked Samurai was the most efficient, though?

Eh, it's entirely possible I hosed up the math. Any which way you slice it, putting all of your gilds on one hero is the way to go.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Eldercain posted:

e: Also since this game is another one of those "doesn't explain anything" type of games: it looks like the 1.05 multiplier works for the entire 10 level span. Since "world" isn't really referenced anywhere (maybe the tutorial? That was a long time ago), it means as long as the tileset is the same. I'm pretty sure knowing that I can get at least another 10 levels out of this before I need to reset again.
"world" is flavor to go with Amenhotep's last ability. Dark Ritual works until you reset. The tileset is purely aesthetic.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"world" is flavor to go with Amenhotep's last ability. Dark Ritual works until you reset. The tileset is purely aesthetic.

Wow well poo poo that explains why my first ascension was so freaking slow and terrible.

Also using the word "ascension" brings back terrible memories of Kingdom of Loathing.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

LAY-ZX posted:

Eh, it's entirely possible I hosed up the math. Any which way you slice it, putting all of your gilds on one hero is the way to go.

Fair enough, though it's a little difficult to calculate the opportunity cost of all the souls needed to re-roll into a single hero.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, Adventure Capitalist updated. It looks completely different now. As far as I can tell from a quick glance, they disabled pretty much everything in the game. They said they're gonna explain and tweak things later, but for now, I'm scared shitless. :ohdear:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

So, Adventure Capitalist updated. It looks completely different now. As far as I can tell from a quick glance, they disabled pretty much everything in the game. They said they're gonna explain and tweak things later, but for now, I'm scared shitless. :ohdear:

The new UI is pretty awful too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

neogeo0823 posted:

I gave up on Adventure Capitalist today in favor of Clicker Heroes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The new UI is pretty awful too.

Are you implying that it's bad form to cause acheivements to hide important UI elements for several seconds at a time? Or that vital information shouldn't just randomly disappear? Next you'll be insinuating that removing scrollbars for the sake of adding in mobile-esque drag-to-scroll navigation is a step backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure most of AC doesn't even render for me any more in Firefox, so :shrug:

• Locked thread