Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

And our lasting image of AJP will be him flopping around like gunshot victim (until he takes a heater off the chin tomorrow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Cool I can pick this up in the comedy section at the bookstore as I work on my clown college degree.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I don't think there was a single inning in which the Cardinals pitching didn't allow something scary to happen. Even Year Bullshit seems real. I pray that at least one team from Missouri proves powerful enough to overcome it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
<--- 5 more wins my dudes and two real reasons why the Giants will win it all :getin:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

ReverendDre posted:

And our lasting image of AJP will be him flopping around like gunshot victim (until he takes a heater off the chin tomorrow)

I agree, as the architect of his own horrible trade Pierzynski definitely deserves to be seriously injured.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Its like

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In his entire post season career, he's had two real cool phantom tags

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

poser posted:

Its like

You know someone is seriously injured when they stare at an official before hitting the ground

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

zakharov posted:

I agree, as the architect of his own horrible trade Pierzynski definitely deserves to be seriously injured.

Pierzynski did kick the Giants trainer in the testicles and has massively badmouthed San Francisco since. Giants fans have lots of reasons to hate the dude.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Mornacale posted:

If anything, you should be rooting for the Royals' stupid ideas to pay off so that all the bad GMs in baseball will go "see, I was right all along!" and do really dumb and funny poo poo to try to imitate them.

Or bad owners will handcuff solid GMs and force them to follow along.

Neal :ohdear:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

regfairfield posted:

Pierzynski did kick the Giants trainer in the testicles and has massively badmouthed San Francisco since. Giants fans have lots of reasons to hate the dude.

Boo him all you want, but most people here are going to agree that beanballs are stupid.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

zakharov posted:

Boo him all you want, but most people here are going to agree that beanballs are stupid.

otoh, it's AJ Pierzynski.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
AJP was on intentional talk this week and said he thinks Anaheim fans hate him the most so y'all need to step up and hate him some more.

I can barely tell what is going on in that gif other than him flopping. Was it on a steal or strikeout wild pitch or something? The batter doesn't react at all. Can't see the video where I'm at if there is one.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Good Dog posted:

AJP was on intentional talk this week and said he thinks Anaheim fans hate him the most so y'all need to step up and hate him some more.

I can barely tell what is going on in that gif other than him flopping. Was it on a steal or strikeout wild pitch or something? The batter doesn't react at all. Can't see the video where I'm at if there is one.

He clearly got hit with the bat

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Good Dog posted:

Strikeout in the dirt, backswing caught his helmet, fall may have been playacted to rule the ball dead and force the runner back to first.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
AJP got hit with the bat on the pitch but also dropped the ball. Pence was taking off to second and when AJP got hit by the bat he had to make sure the ump saw so he could blow the play dead.

Also he gets hit by the bat, then he throws the mask off and falls.

That having been said gently caress AJ Pierzynski.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
N: The Giants have been out homer'd 6-1 in this series

V: https://www.google.com/search?q=gro...iw=1280&bih=667

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Malaclypse posted:

N: The Giants have been out homer'd 6-1 in this series

V: https://www.google.com/search?q=gro...iw=1280&bih=667

You mean 6-0 right?

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Ambassador of Funk posted:

You mean 6-0 right?

ummmm im repeating something i thought i heard on the KNBR postgame soooo yeah!

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Yeah they haven't hit a homer since Belt hit one in the 18th.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

Troll the whole world and win the WS without hitting a dinger

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Non-playoff NEWS : Today was my birthday.

VIEWS : My girlfriend is awesome.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Phillips posted:

Non-playoff NEWS : Today was my birthday.

VIEWS : My girlfriend is awesome.

N: Marry her
V: Right now

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

N: Blanco totoally was trolling Choate by showing bunt.

"I was just trying to get in his head, because yesterday I bunt and it made all the things happen."

V: Blanco, I know I yell at you a lot, but you're the best. :allears:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Malaclypse posted:

Troll the whole world and win the WS without hitting a dinger

How many of us are rooting for a team willing to bunt their way to victory?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Between Even Year Bullshit and Royals Bullshit, we're heading for a Maximum Comedy World Series and I love it. Seriously, these playoffs have been amazing.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Even old white people who can afford world series tickets?

Trust me. In KC, we have heard all about Lorde, whether we wanted to or not.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

MourningView posted:

Man if you're rooting against the royals because they don't make sabermetrically smart baseball moves you're a dang dweeb

But they do make sabermetrically smart baseball moves, for christ's sake. They're a plus defense team. They're incredibly efficient on the basepaths. Even their "bad bunting" is effective because 1) the teams they've faced are ill-equipped to defend them 2) the aforementioned good baserunning 3) the analysis on the run environment where it's bad to bunt is over a decade old and not particularly correct. (Most of this was pointed out on twitter by our posting pal Bob Shabazz.)

The problem is that rubes like Neyer and Cameron have pushed a distorted orthodoxy of "sabermetrically smart baseball" that doesn't include what the Royals are doing. The second something novel comes around, that sets up a false dichotomy that morons/Mitch Williams/Harold Reynolds can latch onto.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 16, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

Trust me. In KC, we have heard all about Lorde, whether we wanted to or not.

Well, he is from Colorado, which isn't that far away. Figured Lorde would be a rockies fan though.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought defense was proven to be poo poo in sabermetrics? Like most teams with bad defense and good offense go to the playoffs (COUGH DETROIT TIGERS), while teams with just good defense barely break even.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

JosefStalinator posted:

Well, he is from Colorado, which isn't that far away. Figured Lorde would be a rockies fan though.

...Lorde is a woman, and she's from New Zealand.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I know it's not exactly the most popular website around these parts, but in a column for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website, Bernie Miklasz manages to say what we're all thinking regarding tonight's game.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

...Lorde is a woman, and she's from New Zealand.

But I know your feelings on South Park.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I can see Guthrie being bitter about his time in Baltimore because he was the starting pitcher in the Mother's Day Miracle. He blanked the Red Sox for 8 1/3 innings on 91 pitches but got yanked by Sam Perlozzo when Lugo reached on an error. Baez followed by Ray got totally schooled, with the tying and winning runs scoring when Lugo reached first again on an error by Ray. The lack of confidence in Guthrie resulted in the whole thing backfiring in the most humiliating way possible.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Wrong thread.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 16, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

regfairfield posted:

Also, Michael Barrett punched AJP in the face 10 years ago. I love him forever for living the dream.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Between Even Year Bullshit and Royals Bullshit, we're heading for a Maximum Comedy World Series and I love it. Seriously, these playoffs have been amazing.

I think the most comedy option possible is the Cards making it, blowing their challenge early and losing and then getting a repeat play from game 6 of the '85 series. A guy can dream.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I thought defense was proven to be poo poo in sabermetrics? Like most teams with bad defense and good offense go to the playoffs (COUGH DETROIT TIGERS), while teams with just good defense barely break even.

I can't really find a correlation. Over the last several post-seasons, there have been years where teams in the top 5 and bottom 5 in defense make the playoffs per Fangraphs' numbers.

RE Royals bullshit: Honestly, the Royals aren't bullshit if they keep playing like this. They're first overall in OBP among LCS teams and 2nd to the Cards in OPS. What's crazy is the Giants outscoring the Cardinals.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Is there a lot of antagonism between the fanbases of the Cardinals and Royals? Just wondering how that possible series would play out in Missouri, because I would think that a Cubs/White Sox World Series would be drat near insufferable in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

The_Hat posted:

Is there a lot of antagonism between the fanbases of the Cardinals and Royals? Just wondering how that possible series would play out in Missouri, because I would think that a Cubs/White Sox World Series would be drat near insufferable in Chicago.

Actually I have had a lot of Cards fans tell me they were rooting for the Royals because they wanted another Show Me Series. But I also had a guy give me poo poo cause he was complaining about how insufferable Royals fair-weather fans are. I guess he assumed I don't wear a Royals hat literally every-day.

I don't think the antagonism goes both ways. What is the fun in hating a team whose only pennant was 30 years ago when you've won 5 since then? Plus, I mean they have two WS this century. I don't know. I just figure Cards fans have bigger teams to hate on than the Royals.

• Locked thread