Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I made the wrong choice and didn't side with Yamato, so my ending was lame and boring and it killed my urge to ever touch it again.

gently caress you Anguished One I thought you'd be cool.

Wait, I thought AO is the True Ending? I only got Daichi's ending because no guide and all. I was replaying for Yamato's Ending because I may or may not have a crush on white haired anime guys and POWERR.

I thought DS1 was OK but I only got the Demon Lord ending despite following a guide which is boring since that was my 1st ending too. I'm not much for replayability I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Daichi true is the "true" ending I think.

Considering AO resets the world entirely, which is kind of a downer when you think about how your group are like the only humans now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Daichi true is the "true" ending I think.

Considering AO resets the world entirely, which is kind of a downer when you think about how your group are like the only humans now.

Eh it's more ambiguous than anything. For all we know, there are other humans and all we really saw out of Kingmaker is the party reflecting on Psyduck's decision and how they're free from Polaris, I think.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alder posted:

Wait, I thought AO is the True Ending? I only got Daichi's ending because no guide and all.

Daichi has 2 endings. One is the straight up bad end, and the other is the closest thing there is to a True Ending.

AO can't be the true ending because that's the Chaos route, so it's not allowed. :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That being said, I am excited to team up with Yamato's sister in Break Record, who looks exactly like him and hope she is as cool as Yamato and Naoya. Don't break the streak of similar looking characters being the best, atlus.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I made the wrong choice and didn't side with Yamato, so my ending was lame and boring and it killed my urge to ever touch it again.

Well it's your own fault for not siding with the best SMT character.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Daichi has 2 endings. One is the straight up bad end, and the other is the closest thing there is to a True Ending.

AO can't be the true ending because that's the Chaos route, so it's not allowed. :v:

IIRC I got the ending where the entire world is flooded or somthing? I only recall how AO's ending was/is a pain to get vs the others

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That being said, I am excited to team up with Yamato's sister in Break Record, who looks exactly like him and hope she is as cool as Yamato and Naoya. Don't break the streak of similar looking characters being the best, atlus.

I miss SL and I wanted to date the cast esp. Jungo but the game let me down. Oh, and is there any special reason why we couldn't choose MC's gender other than because. I don't recall any specific plot-changing purpose.

I miss FeMC :black101:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Naoya is a giant petty crybaby and also a murderer. What's so great about him?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Naoya is a giant petty crybaby and also a murderer. What's so great about him?

Actually, he's cool. And if you play your cards right, sets you up for the most satisfying ending this side of TDE.

Using your cool powers to back humanity and say gently caress you to God is all I can ask for in a game really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yes, that's what I'm asking. What makes him cool? His entire characterization is of him being a childish dick who refuses to own up for his wrongdoings, and he never does anything awesome to earn cool points or anything.

Hell, even the Chaos route is him basically asking you to do all the heavy lifting for him, pretty please with a cherry on top.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, that's what I'm asking. What makes him cool? His entire characterization is of him being a childish dick who refuses to own up for his wrongdoings, and he never does anything awesome to earn cool points or anything.

Hell, even the Chaos route is him basically asking you to do all the heavy lifting for him, pretty please with a cherry on top.

It's been awhile but IIRC the game set up him as some kind of puppet master but it didn't amaze me when I finally met up with Naoya. That's it?! I expected him to unlock my final demon or form for MC.

I liked DS2's cast better because at least Yamato interacted w/the MC and you could understand why they were considered frenemies from Day 1.

OT: I'm glad I'm not alone w/having fun with the idea of crushing God and remaking the world in my image...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naoya is a giant baby who throws a temper tantrum the second you join Law's side. The only thing good about him is that he unlocks the best ending of the game which is the Metatron one. Kaido is the actually cool chaos character.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Alder posted:

I miss SL and I wanted to date the cast esp. Jungo

Whoa whoa whoa we don't need to be hearing about your beastiophilic urges there, buddy :colbert:

quote:

I miss FeMC :black101:

Same

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement manual and cover for Strange Journey? I picked up a cheap copy last week, but it's the game only. Somewhere that ships to the UK for a reasonable price would be even better.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah I never got the appeal of Naoya. Just seemed like a pointlessly sociopathic lunatic. Of course I roll with a Yu-Gi-Oh!-haired chick with like 60 headmates, so what do I know from lunatic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Naoya is barely a character, he's just the catalyst for everything that happens.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Naoya is a cool bro, who wants to kill God, which is good, because killing God is always good in SMT games.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Freak Futanari posted:

Naoya is a cool bro, who wants to kill God, which is good, because killing God is always good in SMT games.

Wait isn't god already dead in that game? Aren't you just standing against every tom, dick, and cthulhu that threatens humanity?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Freak Futanari posted:

Well it's your own fault for not siding with the best SMT character.

Yeah, Daichi should always be the one you go with.

I don't really think the "bad" Daichi ending is all that bad though, humanity is just trying to work with what they have and you're left thinking they can survive.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Naoya being a little petty bitch is why I like him.

Kaido however, is cool as hell even if Travis Willingham wasn't the best pick for him, of course the voice direction was kind of all over the place in Overclocked.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah, Daichi should always be the one you go with.

I don't really think the "bad" Daichi ending is all that bad though, humanity is just trying to work with what they have and you're left thinking they can survive.

Literally all that's left is a tiny fraction of urban Japan.

They are hosed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FauxGateau posted:

Wait isn't god already dead in that game? Aren't you just standing against every tom, dick, and cthulhu that threatens humanity?

No, several monsters and at least one party member/ending haver is operating under the assumption He is still alive and active.

I don't know whether that turns out to be canonically true, but I am halfway through a Day 8 that is operating on the assumption that He is around and I am on His side, generally speaking.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah I never got the appeal of Naoya. Just seemed like a pointlessly sociopathic lunatic.

gently caress YOU (SKY) DAD!

I hope this succinct explanation helps.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

TIL SMT games caused me to convert to atheism after clearing a few games,

Actually, I wonder if it's worth replaying DS2 or I should just watch the different endings on YT :v:

I swear for Nocturne there was no "good" Reason just less worse compared to the last guy you met. Coincidence? I think not.

It does feel boring if you are the only person left in a mostly empty world though.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Is SMT IV out midnight for EU guys or is it a specific time when the eshop updates?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Samael posted:

Is SMT IV out midnight for EU guys or is it a specific time when the eshop updates?

I think it's midnight (or 23:00 in the UK).

Edit: Yup, it's on EU eShop right now!

DoctorX fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 30, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

DoctorX posted:

I think it's midnight (or 23:00 in the UK).

Edit: Yup, it's on EU eShop right now!

It's still saying "Coming to E-Shop" for me :negative:

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Samael posted:

It's still saying "Coming to E-Shop" for me :negative:

Oops, you're right. I just saw the banner and thought "FINALLY!" but nope, the game itself is not up yet. Oh, well :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Literally all that's left is a tiny fraction of urban Japan.

They are hosed.

That's not really what I got from the ending. Things aren't as great as they could be, but the people left are trying to make the best of it, because now at least there aren't any demons trying to kill them.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I played Devil Survivor 1 and who the gently caress is Naoya again?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's the dope with the white hair and green NEET cloak.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It wasn't until my second playthrough that I realized he was wearing a hoodie. He always looked like some fat guy in a poncho to me.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

He's the dope with the white hair and green NEET cloak.

I don't remember a character like this. What did he do? What was his deal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Naoya

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I don't remember a character like this. What did he do? What was his deal

Tallgeese posted:

gently caress YOU (SKY) DAD!

I hope this succinct explanation helps.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sounds like a dickhole, people should hang out with more cool Chaos characters like my boy Al Psyduck

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Al is not a chaos character.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Al is not a chaos character.

His ending kinda follows the main Chaos archetype of overthrowing the established order in favor of freedom. He's also kinda pretty much Lucifer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'll say this for Naoya: in my internal list of who to help, he was only second to last. He was beaten out by that schmuck Keisuke. So bad, that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Was Keisuke any worse than Kaido, the guy who ran a gang that apparently killed people?