Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The enforcer seems like he becomes worthless as soon as an elite enemy shows up. Their missiles hit through your shield, and the shield slows you down too much to dodge them. So whenever one of those orange elites is on screen you're basically forced to give up on your primary class mechanic.

stun them, shield punt them off of whatever platform you're fighting them on, run away? i dunno i haven't had a lot of problems with them but i tend to trigger the teleporter and then run out the clock to stop new spawns, then go back and clean up whatever is strung out along the path i took from the teleporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Unormal posted:

Are there any rougelikes that present a party based fps wizardry/eob/grimlock world? I kinda want to make that.

I have been thinking of doing something like that for some time but I'm not sure how well procedurally generated dungeons would work for that kind of game. The puzzles and exploration are a huge draw of those games for me and that's kinda tricky to accomplish procedurally.

Guess I might check out Heroes of a Broken Land sometimes though.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

andrew smash posted:

stun them, shield punt them off of whatever platform you're fighting them on, run away? i dunno i haven't had a lot of problems with them but i tend to trigger the teleporter and then run out the clock to stop new spawns, then go back and clean up whatever is strung out along the path i took from the teleporter.

In my experience the Enforcer has a button that spawns enemies behind you. I know that's to enforce (ha!) the idea that positioning is important but it also makes the shield way situational.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Heroes of a Broken Land!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

Can personally attest to the fun contained therein. Random world, towns, dungeons. Multi-party exploration. Good times!

We live in a golden age (18 turns remaining.)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

netcat posted:

I have been thinking of doing something like that for some time but I'm not sure how well procedurally generated dungeons would work for that kind of game. The puzzles and exploration are a huge draw of those games for me and that's kinda tricky to accomplish procedurally.

Guess I might check out Heroes of a Broken Land sometimes though.

I think it'd be best done mixing a lot of hand generated content in with procedural. Like imagine if you did Skyrim but all the incredibly weakly designed fetch quests and locations truly random each time. You can take or leave the static main plot each time as a player.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unormal posted:

Are there any rougelikes that present a party based fps wizardry/eob/grimlock world? I kinda want to make that.

That's how my project started but I gave up on the procedural generation side because my attempts at randomizing environmental puzzles and such just felt too half assed and I didn't want the game to just be combat and hunting for keys. I'd love to return to it someday but it'd probably take someone better at the whole procedural thing. Just smashing together prefabs felt like a cheat but I guess with a huge number it'd work.

I can't think of any party based RLs for that matter that emphasize party survival over character so you are given a prod to retreat and flee even if it requires sacrifices to do it. It'd be fun to end up with those Seven Samurai esque old characters that survive the disasters while new characters are added back in town.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I also totally want to make\play a procedurally based party tactics game (dragon age, baldurs gate etc)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

SnowblindFatal posted:

Is it still gonna use Flash and lag on a 3,4 GHz quad core processor?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Also if you have a PS4 and PS+ BoI will be their free offering this month.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Are there any good Roguelikes that have a first person perspective? I've seen Delver and Eldritch but are there any good first person dungeon crawlers out there?

madjackmcmad posted:

Heroes of a Broken Land!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

Can personally attest to the fun contained therein. Random world, towns, dungeons. Multi-party exploration. Good times!

I never played the old-school Wizardry/M&M style games, or the newer ones like Grimrock, but this looks kinda interesting.

That said, I would love a good FPS, not FPP, roguelike. Eldritch didn't really do anything for me and I haven't heard much good about the other ones I've looked at either. Ziggurat and Tower of Guns look like they have potential but I'm kind of cautious now.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, I would love a good FPS, not FPP, roguelike. Eldritch didn't really do anything for me and I haven't heard much good about the other ones I've looked at either. Ziggurat and Tower of Guns look like they have potential but I'm kind of cautious now.

Didja check out Black Ice?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311800/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ToxicFrog posted:

I never played the old-school Wizardry/M&M style games, or the newer ones like Grimrock, but this looks kinda interesting.

It's all outdoors, but Sir, You Are Being Hunted bears some key features of roguelikes, but I would not pay full price for it, as I don't find it terribly satisfying. They've said they're going to implement multiplayer sometime next year, which might make it more fun, especially since you can now futz about with the world generator and robot population settings.

What I used to do sometimes is fire up Arma II, use the town generator module and force it to use lots of walls, and have it randomly populate roaming troops throughout for a quick, unpredictable skirmish simulator.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Goddamnit Teleglitch is a bitch with the black walls. TWICE now I've accidentally stepped into them just after pretty much exploring the entire level 4 and before stepping into the teleporter. "Oh hey, there's one more door I haven't checked. Let me just rush in with no regard for my own safety because what's the worst that could happen?"

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

ToxicFrog posted:

Receiver is older but quite good.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Ziggurat's decent, kind Hexenish kind of thing. A single playthrough is a little on the long side, and the various characters don't feel /super/ distinct but the combat's pretty good and there's some interesting weapons.

Tower of Guns is really good. Cave Story-style experience system to level up your guns, (you pick one at the start of your run and sometimes if you're lucky you'll find another gun hidden while you're playing,) enemies are mostly stationary turrets that just vomit out insane quantities of bullets, so the focus is really on movement more than anything. The levels consist of prefab rooms strung together in a random order but there's /tons/ of variety, and the prefab nature means the dev was able to hide secrets that are very much in the spirit of older fpses (in ziggurat it's like binding of isaac, there's one secret per level and you just find the cracked wall to shoot, that's it)

Tower of Guns also has a really great and weird sense of humor, there's a number of random, equally nonsensical stories that you can get (or just disable them altogether if they annoy you) and some really cool hidden things, messages from the dev, and so forth, it was really obviously a labor of love. Also one of the powerups is an extra jump and if you get a real good run going you'll often end up being able to just kind of stay in the air for a huge amount of time, jumping over and over and raining death down on everything and drat does it feel good.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 4, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Aaaargh guards in Teleglitch are bullshit. If you're going to give a monster a gun, it needs to be non-hitscan, inaccurate, and/or low-damaging. Guards have fast-firing hitscan weapons that deal like 25 damage per hit.

I've yet to make it to the fourth zone. Is it too much to ask for checkpoints at every level? None of this "We'll let you start from level 3 if you can make it to level 5 from level 1" crap. The game seems to be actively player-hostile.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

It's all outdoors, but Sir, You Are Being Hunted bears some key features of roguelikes, but I would not pay full price for it, as I don't find it terribly satisfying. They've said they're going to implement multiplayer sometime next year, which might make it more fun, especially since you can now futz about with the world generator and robot population settings.

I hated Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Turns out I like slow-paced stealth a lot more when it's in intricate buildings a la Thief and not so much when it's in huge open fields randomly dotted with featureless cubes textured as houses.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Receiver is older but quite good.

I have Receiver but it didn't really grab me. There's very little variety and it's balls hard.

SpruceZeus posted:

Ziggurat's decent, kind Hexenish kind of thing. A single playthrough is a little on the long side, and the various characters don't feel /super/ distinct but the combat's pretty good and there's some interesting weapons.

"Kind of Hexenish" is not really a selling point since Hexen was really, really bad. One weapon per character per episode (and they all suck) and the levels are all huge key/switch mazes, except the key or switch might actually be for a completely different level (that you may even have already explored, but now it's different! Good luck finding out where!) I'm not really much of a fan of the whole Doom/Hexen/Heretic line in general, but Hexen was definitely* the worst.

If you just mean the overall aesthetic, physics, etc, it's a bit more interesting.

* Please do not suggest other Doom-engine games that are even worse than Hexen to prove me wrong.

quote:

Tower of Guns is really good. Cave Story-style experience system to level up your guns, (you pick one at the start of your run and sometimes if you're lucky you'll find another gun hidden while you're playing,) enemies are mostly stationary turrets that just vomit out insane quantities of bullets, so the focus is really on movement more than anything. [...]

This, on the other hand, sounds very up my alley.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ToxicFrog posted:

"Kind of Hexenish" is not really a selling point since Hexen was really, really bad. One weapon per character per episode (and they all suck) and the levels are all huge key/switch mazes, except the key or switch might actually be for a completely different level (that you may even have already explored, but now it's different! Good luck finding out where!) I'm not really much of a fan of the whole Doom/Hexen/Heretic line in general, but Hexen was definitely* the worst.

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hexen was awful.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SnowblindFatal posted:

Is it still gonna use Flash and lag on a 3,4 GHz quad core processor?

My computer is a toaster, but I'm willing to bet if I can get Rebirth running it will still play smoother than the first game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'hexen is bad' isn't really an uncommon opinion, especially among people who post in the old fps megathread and have quite a lot of games to compare it to. everything toxicfrog said is legit 100% of what makes up hexen and the weapons aren't even all that interesting because you only get like 3 per class. the maps were probably some of the most confusing goddamn things in the world and playing 'find the switch and then find the door it opened without any indication of where either is' gets old after like the second time and becomes ancient after about the 30th. heretic was probably the good one because it was basically fantasy doom but it was at least not a boring pain in the rear end to play.

so, all told,

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hexen was awful.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have fond memories of the Hexen demo from when I was a kid but I am prepared to take your word for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we all have fond memories of the demo. demos for older games really made a point to show off parts that are at least okay, though. the full game itself was just really lacking especially when compared to most other old fps games. if a game today was being advertised as 'like hexen' then i'd personally be a bit wary unless they only take the mildest of inspiration from it in that their game just happens to be a fantasy fps-ish kinda game or some poo poo like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So long as you don't talk any poo poo about Commander Keen it's all good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have fond memories of the Hexen demo from when I was a kid but I am prepared to take your word for it.

Yeah it's safe to say the Hexen demo was the best part of the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ToxicFrog posted:

I hated Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Turns out I like slow-paced stealth a lot more when it's in intricate buildings a la Thief and not so much when it's in huge open fields randomly dotted with featureless cubes textured as houses.

(Tower of Guns quote)

This, on the other hand, sounds very up my alley.

You're absolutely correct about Sir, although I recently started a new game and it was a bit more fun somehow, but all the same it failed to hook me. I wonder if searching for key bits in a dungeon would be any better? I feel like there's a thing or two missing that would make this game much more fun.

Your second notion about Tower of Guns is also making me fire it up right now.

edit: I did not get very far but I had a good time.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 4, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I feel that Ziggurat is more like Serious Sam's Roguelike lovechild with a fondness for Hexen's setting. I like it.

Of course, comparing it to Sam brings a few unwarranted issues as well. Suffice to say, no real comparison sticks perfectly.

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Aaaargh guards in Teleglitch are bullshit. If you're going to give a monster a gun, it needs to be non-hitscan, inaccurate, and/or low-damaging. Guards have fast-firing hitscan weapons that deal like 25 damage per hit.

I've yet to make it to the fourth zone. Is it too much to ask for checkpoints at every level? None of this "We'll let you start from level 3 if you can make it to level 5 from level 1" crap. The game seems to be actively player-hostile.

Those guys are exactly why Teleglitch is ruined for me: you can play for 30 minutes to lose it all to a fucker that appears from nowhere and kills you before you have a chance to react. I searched the internet to see if there was a way to deal with them that I had missed and the only thing I found was "well maybe dont get hit lol".

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I can't think of any party based RLs for that matter that emphasize party survival over character so you are given a prod to retreat and flee even if it requires sacrifices to do it. It'd be fun to end up with those Seven Samurai esque old characters that survive the disasters while new characters are added back in town.

It is almost entirely a field still left to Labyrinths & Legends, the only crazy attempt at fusing Wizardry sensibilities into Roguelikery:

http://lnl.sourceforge.jp/en/

Sure would be nice to see development on it liven back up again with a better/more straightforward set of affairs for players the world over.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Listen for them, they make a distinct sound. Then ambush them from behind a door. It used to be that a single sticky grenade killed them, but that may have changed in a later patch?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

If you just mean the overall aesthetic, physics, etc, it's a bit more interesting.

Yes, there aren't switches or keys at all in Ziggurat. Sorry for being unclear. The focus is mostly on the combat, which is suitably fast paced and hectic. There's decent enemy variety, too. It's an all right game.

If you have to choose, though, I'd for sure say Tower of Guns first. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time playing that game.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ToxicFrog posted:

Well Ziggurat has 4 weapon slots with multiple weapons that can go in each, while Tower of Guns has a weapon you pick before you start than you can not change until your next run, but neither one has keycards.

More importantly, to me, Ziggurat is much more quick paced and shooty, while Tower of Guns is more floaty jumping and slowwwww projectiles

Tower o Guns is in the buck tier on Humble right now, tho, so you should at least try it out

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Naar posted:

Listen for them, they make a distinct sound. Then ambush them from behind a door. It used to be that a single sticky grenade killed them, but that may have changed in a later patch?

Were tasers effective? I forget. I remember I found a quick weakness that made them MUCH easier. Also it isn't hitscan, but it is a gun with bullets and they aren't stormtroopers (if I remember)

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
I've been enjoying Ziggurat quite a bit. It's Hexen/Doom-inspired beyond visuals, as some monsters/weapons are almost exact ports from those games. The twitch-shooter gameplay is some of the best I've played in a while.

As for the dungeon-crawling progression it's more akin to BoI than anything else, both in the simplicity the encounter system (rooms are single encounters, you're searching for a boss room) and the manner in which upgrades are unlocked for future playthroughs is nearly identical.

So nothing super-new here, but the shooter-BoI elements have been fused into a very addictive game.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Normally i dont care much for it but watching totalbiscuit review Ziggurath kinda sold me on the game. It looks hella fun imho.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Naar posted:

Okay great, so I get to play the game for half an hour for one chance to practice against an enemy that can kill me inside of two seconds from full health (no their pistols aren't hitscan, but they're sure as gently caress not dodgeable so they might as well be), and I have to learn to listen for them coming without knowing what sound matches which enemy until after I'm being shot at. And assuming I do all that, I get one shot to execute an ambush that if I pull it off perfectly (i.e. don't miss my shot, and then have something to hide behind while I wait for the grenade to explode) might kill them?

I want to like Teleglitch, I really do, but it's been a long time since I was willing to accept this kind of gently caress-you attitude towards the player done with a straight face. This game needs some or all of:

* More tells for monster behaviors, so you can react to Bad poo poo happening before it happens
* More checkpoints, because goddamn it I'm sick of replaying the first two levels over and over again, random content or no
* Better-differentiated enemy sprites. Low-fi is fine, but you need to have more than five loving brown pixels, and more variations than just "standing guy" and "guy with six legs"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I know you're angry about a loss, but:
Guard weapons have projectile speed, same as player guns. This is relevant when strafing at long ranges (which you do a lot later in the game).
Guard weapons have spread, same as player guns. They can and will miss. In the chaos of a huge gunfight, it's easy to not notice that most shots are missing.
Okay, they hit hard. 2/3.

Guards are slow, clumsy, and made of paper mache. If you both see each other at once, they'll take forever to raise their gun. Also, they are retarded and will gleefully walk into obvious shotgun ambushes. If one gets the drop of you, duck behind cover (or another monster! friendly fire is a thing) and retreat so they'll come waddling into aforementioned ambush. Oh yea, and Guards have a _good change to drop ammo_, making them the one enemy that counteracts ammo attrition.

I just made it to level9, before that my best run was 6, before that I was stuck on levels 3-4 a lot.

Protip: around levels 3-4 ranged combat becomes more common (5+ it's default), so walk around with a good gun out and swap to the lovely nailgun etc when melee enemies arrive. Also, early game, you should knife EVERYTHING that uses melee and goes down in two stabs (unless you're being swarmed by 5+). The early game rabble hits for 2 damage and isn't worth wasting ammo on; you _need_ to get good at knifing.

Oh, and have you made armour yet? 6x Cans -> plate. 2x plate -> armour. Helps a TON with gunfire.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was just released on Steam today.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I tried out Tower of Guns and it's pretty fun. The rocket launcher is definitely my favourite weapon so far, it completely wrecks most bosses. I had a promising run end on the level after the Battlements (Logistics?), though, when I ran into a seemingly immortal enemy -- my first rocket brought it down to flashing red health and then the next twelve did nothing and eventually it wore me down. What was I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Crypt of the Necrodancer is amazing!

My hand hurts :ohdear:

I need to bug my friend who was a DDR fiend, I think he has the hard pads around somewhere.