Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Wasn't season 7 the leviathan season? I think that one was the worst season of the show's run.

Maybe I'm thinking of 6 or 8. It's hard to keep track since I mostly binge watched the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of 6 or 8. It's hard to keep track since I mostly binge watched the show.

Probably 8. 6 was mostly meandering and didn't really go anywhere, but 8 was the one with the tablets and that one was pretty good.

I started watching season 9 the other day since it finally went up on Netflix and had a good laugh at the scene with the hardass crime scene MP with the highly respectable rank of PFC. I wonder if they do that kind of thing just because they know people will notice.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Somebody from around where I live must have joined the Supernatural writing staff at like season 8 or so. Since then they've been more frequently name dropping close by towns as possible places to go and one of the episodes took place in the next town over from me. It was that episode that I noticed their attention to detail about where they were. The town itself didn't really look like it actually does, but you could see signs in the background with the name of the county on it and it surprised me that they would go through the trouble to put that poo poo up for the few local people that would notice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

precision posted:

9 seasons is a lot, I think it's OK to hear some opinions before committing to doing that.

This is such retarded logic. It is not some huge commitment. You watch it and if you like it you keep watching it. You stop when you no longer like it.

Someone give me a medal, I've solved the intractable problem of "I can't watch TV without someone else telling me it's okay."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I know most people probably wouldn't want to watch 9 1/2 seasons of Supernatural just for one episode, but you should totally watch the latest episode even if you've never seen the show before.

Then it wouldn't make sense

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This is such retarded logic. It is not some huge commitment. You watch it and if you like it you keep watching it. You stop when you no longer like it.

Someone give me a medal, I've solved the intractable problem of "I can't watch TV without someone else telling me it's okay."

The problem with that logic is that TV shows generally have rough starts but get better. I would have dropped Supernatural after a string of not-great eps, culminating in the racist truck episode, if it weren't for the fact that I was told that the series got significantly better after those episodes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, don't watch the late season Supernatural comedy meta episodes if you're not a fan. They're hilarious but they make absolutely no sense without context.

On the other hand I would recommend watching Supernatural. The first five seasons are genuinely one of the best told stories I've ever seen on TV. Seasons 6 to 9+ don't have that same kind of cohesion and planning, they definitely meander and struggle to find their way at times, and there's definitely some repeated themes and stories but I think they still come together into enjoyable seasons, some interesting and new stories, and some really great episodes and characters.

Or if you're really particular about your TV time then watch Seasons 1-5 and then get a fan to give you a list of the awesome comedy episodes that follow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Is it any more retarded than "Stop giving people your opinion on a TV show in the specifically TV forum"? Or "stop asking for opinions on a TV show and just watch it"? :confused:

I mean like, whoah, what if we all stopped posting and just watched poo poo. :stare:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It would certainly be better if you did.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I mean like, whoah, what if we all stopped posting and just watched poo poo. :stare:

Indeed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It would certainly be better if you did.

Someone needs to :chillout:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Nah, that's what he's always like.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Time and time again and people are always themselves. Change it up people.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Finally got around to watching the final season of 30 Rock.

It was great.

Why were the final few episodes shot almost entirely with green screens? It was super noticeable.

I'm not sure but I think at the time a lot of the cast was all over the place shooting different movies and stuff.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Metropolis posted:

I'm not sure but I think at the time a lot of the cast was all over the place shooting different movies and stuff.

Thanks for replying. I figured it was something like that, but when I went googling, I couldn't find anything for sure. drat, Baldwin aged a decade in that last season.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Supernatural 1-5 was definitely great, and the show is still good but I definitely gave up on it mid season in both 6 and 7 and only caught up before the next season started.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They're are actual decent reasons to respect other people's opinions on TV shows. Falling Skies looked like it had a pretty decent premise. It's like Red Dawn, but with invading aliens, how can you screw that up?

I watched a few episodes, and it felt like it was written by people who were used to writing for the Hallmark channel. So I was not a fan. I occasionally ask around if it has gotten better over time, but nobody has ever argued that you should totally watch Falling Skies.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thrakkorzog posted:

They're are actual decent reasons to respect other people's opinions on TV shows. Falling Skies looked like it had a pretty decent premise. It's like Red Dawn, but with invading aliens, how can you screw that up?

I watched a few episodes, and it felt like it was written by people who were used to writing for the Hallmark channel. So I was not a fan. I occasionally ask around if it has gotten better over time, but nobody has ever argued that you should totally watch Falling Skies.

Falling Skies is the true definition of "mediocre" television. An interesting premise to initially grab viewers, but with by-the-book, cliched writing that's JUST enough to keep a decent number of people watching, with a series of "oh crap, it's the season finale" show-don't-tell moments.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And in the other corner, The 100. Everything Falling Skies does wrong it does right. Whoever is running the CW these days really knows what they're doing as far as "this show really should be bad but let's make it awesome."

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I didn't expect to see The Millers on the cancellation pile so soon, but I also didn't expect to see it in the renewal pile last season. Also how it got axed ahead of The McCarthys is puzzling.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regarde Aduck posted:

Time and time again and people are always themselves. Change it up people.

OMG YOU GUYS WATCH PERSON OF INTERET THIS poo poo IS BANANAS BEE AY EN AY EN AY NANASDNLFLRNGFEWBHFRGBRWG

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I didn't expect to see The Millers on the cancellation pile so soon, but I also didn't expect to see it in the renewal pile last season. Also how it got axed ahead of The McCarthys is puzzling.

I saw two episodes of The Millers last year and it was appalling, I've seen one episode of The McCarthy's and it was just good old fashioned 'pretty meh'. Couldn't believe Millers got renewed either, but it definitely belongs on the cancellation pile.

Which Marry Me should be nowhere near, but lol looks like we're in that boat already. Sigh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

OMG YOU GUYS WATCH PERSON OF INTERET THIS poo poo IS BANANAS BEE AY EN AY EN AY NANASDNLFLRNGFEWBHFRGBRWG

Glad to see you've come around.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rarity posted:

Yes it is. One of the best shows on at the moment.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Apparently CBS has some really good shows??? Because I'm almost caught up with The Good Wife and it's amazing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Apparently CBS has some really good shows??? Because I'm almost caught up with The Good Wife and it's amazing.

Person of Interest is great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

Person of Interest is great.

Yeah I know I've watched it for ages, I just mean now I've found two CBS shows I like.

E: Oh poo poo Elementary too how could I forget.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Apparently CBS has some really good shows???

Yes, Mom.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

gently caress you CBS. We totally could have had Mags Bennet back on The Americans where she belongs if you had cancelled The Millers last season like you should have.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw two episodes of The Millers last year and it was appalling, I've seen one episode of The McCarthy's and it was just good old fashioned 'pretty meh'. Couldn't believe Millers got renewed either, but it definitely belongs on the cancellation pile.

Which Marry Me should be nowhere near, but lol looks like we're in that boat already. Sigh.

Marry Me got a full season order no?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Marry Me got a full season order no?

Not a back 9, just 5 or 6 more episodes ordered.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, TV By The Numbers thinks the outlook is quite grim for it. Which blows as it's a pretty fun show, and I'd watch it even if it wasn't that good because Ken Marino and Casey Wilson are just great opposite each other. And also Gemberling, who's just always great.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just rewatched Frequency on the news that it's turning into a TV. Great little movie, but I don't think a TV show can stretch out that premise and keep it fresh for over 20 episodes.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 16, 2014

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

More heat from the TV industry is making waves at Nielsen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/business/media/viacom-reports-quarterly-earnings.html

quote:

The Chief of Viacom Says Nielsen Is Outdated

By EMILY STEELNOV. 13, 2014

Faced with ratings and advertising declines, the chief executive of Viacom criticized the television research firm Nielsen on Thursday for failing to keep pace with the way people watch TV.

Ratings for Viacom’s networks, which include MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon, tumbled 15 percent during the quarter that ended in September, according to Nielsen data compiled by Bernstein Research. Those ratings challenges led Viacom’s domestic ad sales to decline 5 percent for the quarter, the company reported Thursday.

Philippe Dauman, Viacom’s chief executive, said a large portion of the viewing of Viacom networks was through mobile apps, gaming devices and other platforms that traditional Nielsen ratings do not include.

The declining tranditional linear revenue is also a factor in programmers like Viacom in seeking more carriage fees from pay TV distributors (e.g. cable/satellite/fiber) - gotta shore up earnings somehow I suppose.

Anyway, Nielsen's strange response (in that there's nothing concrete):

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/238149/nielsen-calls-for-industry-to-adopt-new-ratings-st.html

quote:

We believe that the decline in traditional TV ratings can be attributed to the following four factors. Of these, three are real declines and one is due to a Nielsen methodology change:

The growing shift of audiences to time-shifted digital content, including both SVOD (subscription video on demand), such as Netflix, and digital properties distributing traditional television programming, such as Hulu. Neither of these are included in the current TV ratings under industry definitions
Increased viewership of TV programs on devices such as tablets and smartphones, which became eligible for inclusion in Nielsen ratings this fall.
Growing time and attention spent on newer sources of video content, such as YouTube
The addition of broadband-only viewing to the TV ratings universe

In September 2013, at the behest of the industry, Nielsen expanded the definition of what constitutes a television household to include any home with a TV set that can receive video on that TV via a broadband source, but without a broadcast antenna or cable subscription.

This definition change artificially increased the denominator (the total number of households that our measurement represents) upon which the ratings are based. However, because much of the television video content viewed by broadband-only homes is not encoded by our Nielsen watermark, this broadband-only activity did not contribute to traditional TV viewing.

At Nielsen, our charter is to deliver comprehensive measurement — to follow consumers wherever they go, and however they view, across all platforms and devices. Today, we are measuring a wide variety of video content and advertising viewed on the TV set and on digital devices.

Our goal is to create a total measurement of all content and all ads — regardless of how they are accessed and the ad model that they’re supporting. Nielsen’s vision is to create an environment where all video content can be consistently measured with ratings for both the content and the advertising.

We believe that the fundamental changes occurring in today’s viewing landscape call for the industry to adopt a new set of ratings standards:

Total Audience, which combines the total audience for a program or content regardless of the mode of access, including SVOD.
Total Commercial, which includes ratings for the ad campaign regardless of where and how it’s consumed, providing flexibility for dynamic ad insertion.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Crusader posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/business/media/viacom-reports-quarterly-earnings.html

The declining tranditional linear revenue is also a factor in programmers like Viacom in seeking more carriage fees from pay TV distributors (e.g. cable/satellite/fiber) - gotta shore up earnings somehow I suppose.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/238149/nielsen-calls-for-industry-to-adopt-new-ratings-st.html

I both eagerly anticipate and dread the day when Nielson ratings are fully realized to be a massive load of bullshit. Traditional cable has a lot of life in it yet, but I know I'm far from the only person getting the vast majority of my tv over the internet (almost entirely legally even) and that is only going to increase.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just rewatched Frequency on the news that it's turning into a TV. Great little movie, but I don't think a TV show can stretch out that premise and keep it fresh for over 20 episodes.

They're making a Frequency series? That's one of my favorite underrated movies, Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel are great in it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, TV By The Numbers thinks the outlook is quite grim for it. Which blows as it's a pretty fun show, and I'd watch it even if it wasn't that good because Ken Marino and Casey Wilson are just great opposite each other. And also Gemberling, who's just always great.

Man, I'm thinking I should just stop watching sitcoms altogether. It always ends in heartbreak :(

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

The Duke posted:

They're making a Frequency series? That's one of my favorite underrated movies, Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel are great in it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-plots-frequency-reboot-supernatural-748851

Yep. Forgot to mention it's being helmed by the guy behind Supernatural and judging by the last few pages that seems like a good thing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Regy Rusty posted:

The Good Wife is a great show. Like, to the point that it's really strange that it's on CBS.
Kalinda is the loving coolest. :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad she hasn't been in a scene with Alicia for like 36 episodes in a row now. Behind the scenes trouble with the actors, maybe. They are also the two cast members that got Emmys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Crusader posted:

This reminds me, why don't we have a ratings thread this season?

• Locked thread