Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

If the point of the cartoon is that Sharpton, Obama, and de Blasio are race-hustling dividers, then why do they have a multicultural group of children calmly following them? Doesn't look like the kids got the message that they're all supposed to hate and mistrust each other. They look pretty peaceful and united to me.

Sad thing is, I know the answer is "Ramirez is a hack" because that's always the answer.

Only minorities, mixed race families and children are without blame in the racism game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

mrpwase posted:

Not the police though :unsmigghh:

Yeah, I noticed that too but everyone else commented before I could reach the bottom of the page. An interesting omission.

Also, holy poo poo that firefighter face. :stare:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Heh indeedy!

I expect retractions from our usual suspects, oh, a quarter to never or so.

Just yesterday they released a statement complaining about how oppressed they are from the IRS, I assume to head off this report and muddy the truth.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can someone show me where Sharpton called for the death of cops? I'd love to see it I mean with how many cartoons there are based around it he must have said it a lot!

I'm pretty sure where this all comes from is:

Some protesters did chant stuff about killing cops. If you've ever been to any large protest, there is always the 20 or so anarcho-punks saying stuff like "one bullet, one cop."

Of course, since these protests are all about tensions between police and communities, a lot of TV news has been showing the video of those people every time they talk about the protests (after all, their job is to make viewers angry and/or scared).

And obviously, since Sharpton personally instructed every protester on what to do, there is blood on his hands.

e: others have pointed out the parallel to the Las Vegas cop shooting. Has anyone brought up the one near Pittsburgh a few years ago? A guy shot 3 cops, gunned them down in an ambush, because of "Obama's gonna take our guns away, you can take it from my cold dead hands" rhetoric. A deranged man letting current rhetoric drive him to murder, of police? Oh but he has nothing to do with the broader tea party movement you say, okay. Phew.

e2:
The response in Pittsurgh, besides (rightfully) memorializing the three poor guys who got shot, was to call his division of the police "The Fightin' 5th" and put window decals to that effect, to show support. I hate this. First, it's supporting a culture of cop hero worship, describing cops as you would describe a squad in the army, saying cops should be warriors, etc. But also frankly it's disrespectful to the 3 victims - they were not fighting. They were gunned down unawares in the man's front yard, thinking they were responding to a domestic dispute. To say they went down fighting is really disrespectful.
I never get to vent about this so here you go, sorry thread.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 24, 2014

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can someone show me where Sharpton called for the death of cops? I'd love to see it I mean with how many cartoons there are based around it he must have said it a lot!
Here:

Al Sharpton posted:

To the Brown family, to all of the ministers, to all of the officials that have gathered, I want to go to the book of Micah, sixth chapter, eighth verse. “He has shown you, o men, what is good. What does the lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God?” There has been a lot said in the last few days. This afternoon, Leslie and Michael Sr. will have to do something that is out of order. They will have to lay their son to rest. Order says that children bury their parents. It is out of order for children to be buried by their parents.

We should not sit here today and act like we are watching something that is in order. In all of our religious and spiritual celebration, let us not lose sight of the fact that this young man should be doing his second week in college.

Religion ought to affirm what we are doing, not being an escapism from what is done. And some of us are so heavenly bound that we’re no earthly good. Before you get to heaven, before you put on your robes, before you walk down the street, you’ve got to deal with the streets in Ferguson, in St. Louis. God is not going to judge you by your behavior in heaven. He’s going to judge you by what you do on earth. He will not judge you by what Moses did at the Red Sea. He will not judge you by what Joshua did at the Jordan. He will say what Michael Brown, 18-year-old boy, laid out in the street, hour and a half before the detective came. Another hour or so before they came to remove his body. Family couldn’t come to the ropes. Dogs sniffing’ through. What did you do? What did I require of you?

We sit like we have no requirements. Like it’s somebody else. But all of us are required to respond to this. And all of us must solve this.

I watched as it went back and forward. I got a call from the grandfather, Reverend Tomb. Called me and said there’s a man, Mr. McSpadden on the phone. Said his grandson was killed in Ferguson, Missouri. I said, ‘Where is Ferguson, Missouri?’ He says, Right outside of St. Louis. He said, ‘You have your iPad with you? ‘He told me what to punch in. And when I saw Michael lying there, I thought about how many of us were just considered nothing. How we were just so marginalized and ignored. Whatever the circumstance an investigation leads to, to have that boy lying there, like nobody cared about him. Like he didn’t have any loved ones, like his life value didn’t matter… I told his grandfather, I don’t care what happened, but whatever we can do I’ll be there to do it.

That night, violence started. We were here Tuesday. And we went in front of that old courthouse with big Mike and the mother, and they had to break their mourning to ask folks to stop looting and rioting. Can you imagine their heartbroken? Their son taken, discarded and marginalized? And they have to stop mourning to get you to control your anger, like you’re more angry than they are? Like you don’t understand that Michael Brown does not want to be remembered for a riot. He wants to be remembered as the one that made American deal with how we gonna police in the United States.

This is not about you! This is about justice! This is about fairness! And America is going to have to come to terms when there’s something wrong that we have money to give military equipment to police forces, but we don’t have money for training, and money for public education, and money to train our children!

America. How do you think we look when the world can see you can’t come up with a police report, but you can find a video? How do you think we look when young people march nonviolently asking for the land of the free and the home of the brave to hear their cry, and you put snipers on the roof and pointed guns on them? How do we look?

How do we look when people that support the officer – and they have a right to do, and an obligation if they feel that – but if they support him, they’re “supporters,” but if we come to support the family, we’re dividing the country?

What does God require of us? In three weeks, we saw Marlene Pinnock, a woman in Los Angeles, laid out on the freeway, Congresswoman Maxine Waters, a California highway patrolman hit her 15 times on video, with no weapon in her hand, nothing, no threat to her. Right after that, a man, they said he had loosie cigarettes, and they put an illegal chokehold on him — a man videoed it, eleven times he said he couldn’t breathe – and the policeman wouldn’t let him go. Later that week, we see Michael lying on the ground. America, it’s time to deal with policing! We are not the haters, we’re the healers!

What does it require of us? We can’t have a fit; we’ve got to have a movement. A fit you get mad and run out for a couple of nights. A movement means we’ve got to be here for the long haul, and turn our chants into change, our demonstration into legislation, we have got to stay on this so we can stop this. We need the Congress to have legislation about guidelines in policing. We need to have a fair, impartial investigation. Those that are compromised will not be believed. And we need those that are bad cops – we are not anti-police, we respect police – but those police that are wrong need to be dealt with, just like those in our community are wrong need to be dealt with.

Let us be real clear: The only thing, if you have a bushel of apples, the only thing that messes up good apples is if you don’t take the rotten apples out the bushel. We are not the ones making the cops look bad; it’s the bad apples that you won’t take out the bushel.

What does God require? We’ve got to be straight up in our community, too. We have to be outraged at a 9-year-old girl killed in Chicago. We have to be outraged by our disrespect for each other. Our disregard for each other. Our killing and shooting and running around gun-toting each other. So that they are justifying trying to come at us because some of us act like the definition of blackness is how low you can go. Blackness has never been about being a gangster or thug. Blackness was no matter how low we was pushed down, we rose up anyhow.

Blackness was never surrendering our pursuit of excellence. It was when it was against the law to go to some schools, we built black colleges and learned anyhow. When we couldn’t go downtown to church we built our own AME church, and our church of God and Christ. We never surrendered, we never gave up, and now we get to the 21st century, we get to where we got some positions of power. And you decide it ain’t black no more to be successful. Now you wanna be a nigga and call your woman a ho, you lost where you come from.

We’ve got to clean up our community so we can clean up the United States of America! Rev. Al, you don’t understand what they doin’ to us. I understand. But I understand that nobody gonna help us if we don’t help ourselves. Sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves won’t solve our problems. Sitting around having ghetto pity parties rather than organizing and strategizing and putting our differences aside. Yes, we got young and old. Yes, we got things that we don’t like about each other, but it’s bigger than our egos. It’s bigger than everybody. We need everybody because I’m gonna tell you, I don’t care how much money you got, I don’t care what position you hold. I don’t care how much education you got. If we can’t protect a child walking down the street in Ferguson, and protect him, and bring justice, all you got don’t matter to nobody but you!

We are required to leave here today and change things. Michael Brown must be remembered for more than disturbances. He must be remembered for this is when they started changing what was going on. Oh yeah, there had been other times history that became seminal moments. And this is one of those moments. And this young man, for whatever reason, has appealed to all of us, that we’ve got to solve this. And not continue this. This man, this woman, their spouses, their family, are going to go through some real trials and tribulations. They’re going to call them all kinds of names but their target is all of us. If we cannot focus and do what the lord requires of us, we’ll be right back here again.

Let me say this in closing. The policies of this country cannot go unchallenged. We cannot have aggressive policing of low-level crimes and can’t deal with the higher level. Something strange that you can get all these guns into the hood, but you run around chasing folks selling loosie cigarettes and walking around in the middle of the street. There’s something crazy about that kind of policing.

Policeman are human, yes they are. But they also have a different kind of commitment because once you put on that state badge and that gun that is state backed-up, you cannot react like another citizen. You’re supposed to be trained above that, and we should expect that in our community like they get it in any other community. No community in America would tolerate an 18-year-old boy laying in the street four and a half hours and we not going to tolerate it either. Whatever happened, the value of this boy’s life must be answered by somebody.

I want to say to the family, you got some difficult days. Won’t be long before the crowds’ll be gone. These cameras will go on to another story. But I want you to know that there is a God. A God that I’m told Michael believed in. And he requires of you to believe in him. And if you trust him, he’ll give you strength that you didn’t know you had. There’s a god that sits high, and he ain’t looking at no good bishops and pontiffs up here. God loves those that love mercy and do justice and walk humbly before him. God will make a way. God will guide your feet. How do I know? Because he’s done it for me.

The challenge from here is that you must be committed, that for whatever reason God chose you, and chose Michael. Michael’s gone on to get his rest now. We’re required in his name to change the country.

I sat and thought about this, Bishop Jakes, and thought about where and what was the meaning of all of this. As I was sitting in the room in St. Louis last week, I was trying to figure out what made sense, attorney Crump. There was violence; there were peace rallies; some of the preachers were mad other preachers were in town; all this backstabbing and backbiting. More folk worried about getting on the program than developing a program. But I remembered an old preacher, told me a story that tied it together for me. He said, Al, ‘I was reading a novel one night. The more I read the more I couldn’t put it down.’ He said, ‘It was time for me to go to bed, but I couldn’t, because I had to deal with the plot of the story and I couldn’t figure the plot out.’ He said, ‘I looked at the clock, and it was 12 midnight and I wanted to put it down, but I couldn’t figure out the plot. He said, ‘So, Al, I cheated. I turned to the end of the book and I saw how the story ended, and that’s how I got my rest.’

I want you to know Michael Sr., I want you to know, Leslie, I cheated. I sat up in the hotel and I took out my Bible,a nd I turned to the end of the book. I don’t know how long the investigation will be. I don’t know how long the journey’s going ot be. But I know how this story gonna end. The first will be last. The last will be first. The lion and lamb gonna lay down together. And God will! God will! God will make a way for his children! I been to the end of the Book. Justice is gonna come! Justice is gonna come! Justice gon’ come!

Wait....no. HERE we go:

The real Sharpton posted:

Kill all Honkies, Chalkies, Crackers, Gringos, Albinos, Blue Eyed Caucazoids, and VAMPIRES!

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 24, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Never heard moon crickets before but goddamn if I'm not using it in the future

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Don't use that term; it's most definitely a slur for black people.

The Right willfully misinterprets any public figure's attempt to open dialogue about race in America in order to paint them as shrill dividers. AGC.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The only other time I've seen "moon crickets" being used was by my friend's racist aunt to refer to black people. Urbandictionary seems to think it's a derogatory term against blacks as well, so I think they're using that one wrong.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Never heard moon crickets before but goddamn if I'm not using it in the future

it's cuz slaves would sing at night as to not be punished.

so yes it's a slur calling blacks slaves.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

overdesigned posted:

The pied piper was just a strong libertarian figure demanding fair compensation for his labor, Rorus.

"The purely free society will have a flourishing free market in children."

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I swear, my first impression was that Santa was taking a dump.

Might explain the red nose.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Atoramos posted:

Huh. The one I heard was that it was a native american slur for white people because they had long legs and big eyes. :shrug:
Google seems to indicate that mine is signifantly less common than it being used for black people so... Guess I'll take that one out.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Atoramos posted:

I heard it's because black people hang out by the streetlights with one foot behind the other knee, like a cricket? Old White New Orleanians are loving racist, that's all I've got

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

alnilam posted:

And not retail workers, movie theater workers, some food service workers, nurses. I know he can't list them all, but I'm a bit annoyed he only listed Great American Hero jobs.

Where is the respect for the hard working Chinese restaurants who stay open?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Don't use that term; it's most definitely a slur for black people.

The Right willfully misinterprets any public figure's attempt to open dialogue about race in America in order to paint them as shrill dividers. AGC.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The only other time I've seen "moon crickets" being used was by my friend's racist aunt to refer to black people. Urbandictionary seems to think it's a derogatory term against blacks as well, so I think they're using that one wrong.

Atoramos posted:

Oh I assumed it was for white people based on the other words, thanks for telling me :sweatdrop:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

Oh I assumed it was for white people based on the other words, thanks for telling me :sweatdrop:

It was intended to be. I'm bad at racial slurs apparently.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Bors, earning his description in the OP as a Rall protégé

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Schizotek posted:

Huh. The one I heard was that it was a native american slur for white people because they had long legs and big eyes. :shrug:
Google seems to indicate that mine is signifantly less common than it being used for black people so... Guess I'll take that one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbKV4FPxdec&t=86s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

I dunno. When Bors does it it's not as stupid. Rall puts drones into everything he does even if they don't have anything to do with drones. You'll just see a drone in the background and have to roll your eyes because it's so forced.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schizotek posted:

It was intended to be. I'm bad at racial slurs apparently.

Well, it's probably one of the better things to be bad at all told

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Remember when some folks came off of Cliven Bundy's ranch and killed some cops?

Remember how that was taken as a damning indictment of his movement? Wait, it wasn't? Huh, I wonder why that is.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

beepsandboops posted:

Bors can draw which goes a long way towards making up for the odd boring toon or lovely opinion.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

The perspective makes it look like a tiny drone.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What is particularly boring about that 'toon or lovely about the opinion expressed by it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kaschei posted:

What is particularly boring about that 'toon or lovely about the opinion expressed by it?

Nothing. It's the other three billion cartoons obsessing about drones that make it boring.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kaschei posted:

Nothing in particular other than after years of Rall droning on about it my brain shuts off when I see a drone in a cartoon. What I meant that even if Bors sometimes channels Rall he deserves a pass for being better at it than Rall.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hundreds of lovely Rall cartoons about drones doesn't change the fact that "Our drone program is super-lovely." is a good opinion.

The problem I have with that Bors is that it's really poorly timed. The "Hands Up!" thing has been around for months, so it's weird to do a random cartoon about it and another subject that hasn't been in the news much (well, not as much as it should) on Christmas Eve.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Zemyla posted:

Remember when some folks came off of Cliven Bundy's ranch and killed some cops?

Remember how that was taken as a damning indictment of his movement? Wait, it wasn't? Huh, I wonder why that is.

I posted this in response to an argument from my uncle that Bill DeBlasio is directly responsible for the deaths of those two cops, and he just outright ignored it and continued to be a pain in the rear end. So yeah, the only reason most of these people are getting upset about those cops is so they can use it as a cudgel against black protestors.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Medium is doing some Christmas cartoons, but really this is the only one that applies to us.

EDIT: Is it a bad idea to ask Ward Sutton what Kelly's favorite whiskey sour recipe is?

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 24, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rorus Raz posted:

The Medium is doing some Christmas cartoons, but really this is the only one that applies to us.

EDIT: Is it a bad idea to ask Ward Sutton what Kelly's favorite whiskey sour recipe is?

Yes and no because Xylo already did it so we can just ask him :v: I think a set of ingredients was the grand prize for the Asay Edit Contest? Some contest anyway.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Shugojin posted:

Yes and no because Xylo already did it so we can just ask him :v: I think a set of ingredients was the grand prize for the Asay Edit Contest? Some contest anyway.

This is correct. Sutton responded with the following:

quote:

Kelly would make his Whiskey Sour with Black Velvet whiskey - which he considers fine quality. “The Ladies” recognize a man of sophistication when they see he drinks Black Velvet. If his regular store is sold out of Black Velvet, however (or if another brand is on sale) then any brand in a plastic bottle will do (2 Jiggers on average, but more so depending on the day, season, etc.)

Instead of fresh lemon, Kelly prefers a bitter lemon soda product. Back in the day, he loved Schweppes Bitter Lemon. No longer available stateside, he now opts for Polar Bitter Lemon (he usually just fills the glass at this point, with ice added when available)

Top it off with some Great Value brand Maraschino Cherries

And a Celebrity brand whole mandarin orange (in light syrup)

That should do the trick - Enjoy!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Come on Bish, you write for a Pittsburgh paper, use the proper phrase of "Kennywood's open" Damnit :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

It is really depressing that this satirical cartoon keeps getting reproduced by actual real-live political cartoonists!

Merry Christmas, everyone! :sassargh:

\/\/
When Roger Ailes dies, there better be a 24/7 guard on his grave to keep me from making GBS threads on it.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 24, 2014

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Holy poo poo. For those who didn't click:

quote:

Fox News are being accused of editing protestors’ chants to sound like they are inciting violence against police officers.

In the clip above from a Fox News report, it clearly sounds like protesters are chanting: ‘We wont stop, we can’t stop, so kill a cop.’

The reporter also relays this ‘message’ in her voiceover.

However, other news outlets captured the unedited chant which appears to be somewhat different:

In this clip, it seems to be: ‘We wont stop, we can’t stop, ’till killer cops, are in cell blocks.’ which, if accurate, would be a more civil call for justice over the deaths of allegedly unarmed teenagers shot by police officers recently.

Isn't this a bit 'shouting fire in a crowded theatre'?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Since there's a lot of chat here about this issue, here's a really neat Reuters article about black NYC cops being racially profiled when off duty, and usually getting harassed (or even punished job-wise) if they try to bring it up.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-usa-police-nypd-race-insight-idUSKBN0K11EV20141223
I thought it was too fascinating not to share.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Merry Christmas thread, have some nonpartisan holiday chee--

1 Nice to see Branco is still a fan of giant herpes sores.

Also here's a real knee-slapper courtesy of 7oden (bonus comment by CAM). Just in case you thought HORRYWOOD was a one-off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

colonel_korn posted:

1 Nice to see Branco is still a fan of giant herpes sores.

Birds of a feather flock together.

quote:

This is either archetypal AGC material or a good Catalino. Which is more likely?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rorus Raz posted:

Well that dude is obviously listening to the wrong version if he's weeping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xvnn5vmmAY

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's Christmas and he still can't keep his car fetish under control.

"Wimpy electric cars? No. No! Have to drive big vroom vroom cars like they did when Jesus was a baby!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jedit posted:

This is either archetypal AGC material or a good Catalino. Which is more likely?

Hint: not a good Catalino.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 24, 2014

• Locked thread