Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's the difference between a Frankensteiner and a Hurricanrana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

Smoking Crow posted:

A hurricanrana ends with a pin, technically speaking. If I remember correctly, it was the finishing move of Hurrican.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Technically a rana must end with a pin because it's a hurricane pin. A Frankensteiner is a non-spinning headscissors where a significant amount of steroids are present.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Smoking Crow posted:

They're the same move.

A Frankensteiner specifically starts with the victim sitting on a turnbuckle, but it's otherwise the same throw.

If you want to get really pedantic, the original Rana also ends in a pin.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 28, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Frankensteiner spikes you on your head, hurricanrana doesn't.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Frankensteiner spikes you on your head, hurricanrana doesn't.

You've never seen Ken Shamrock do a huricanrana

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ayn rand hand job posted:

They're the same move.

A Frankensteiner specifically starts with the victim sitting on a turnbuckle, but it's otherwise the same throw.

No it doesn't. When Steiner was started doing it, he'd just whip the guys into the ropes and catch them with it as they came rebounding back. They don't have to be on the turnbuckle.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

IronCladBurrito posted:

Given his current gimmick, I'd say "his gimmick is racist enough without skinhead stigma being attached to it"

He might also personally enjoy looking like Biff Tannen.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Davros1 posted:

No it doesn't. When Steiner was started doing it, he'd just whip the guys into the ropes and catch them with it as they came rebounding back. They don't have to be on the turnbuckle.

In modern terminology though, the frankensteiner has come to mean a top rope rana, much like how hurricanrana is used even when a pin doesn't happen. I bet video game CAWs are partially to blame.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

there's a limit to how much they'd want to paper/block off

So how does one become someone who pads seats when they paper the house?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sub Rosa posted:

So how does one become someone who pads seats when they paper the house?

In most cases listen to local radio stations for giveaways. For smaller companies a promoter might team up with a local car dealer or something. If a company is really desperate they'll have people handing out tickets at tourist spots or near the arena.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Why does WWE hire sitcom and reality show writers instead of, like, you know, serial fiction writers? Would that just make too much sense? Are they, even internally, still grappling with being a theatrical story-centric performance art and not a fake sport?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

Why does WWE hire sitcom and reality show writers instead of, like, you know, serial fiction writers? Would that just make too much sense? Are they, even internally, still grappling with being a theatrical story-centric performance art and not a fake sport?

They've hired soap opera writers before.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't understand why they don't hire indie wrestling bookers/promoters to write it but that's just me

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Are they, even internally, still grappling with being a theatrical story-centric performance art and not a fake sport?

Reminder that this is a company that gladly lets just about any remotely popular or semi-famous celebrity do a guest spot on their biggest weekly show, in the hopes that this will garner them more viewers and mainstream press. Of course they're still struggling with this problem (that isn't actually a problem to anyone except the guy who runs the company and his right-hand man).

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

MassRafTer posted:

They've hired soap opera writers before.

I guess that applies but it's still such low-rent, known for being inconsistent type writing. Is hiring somebody off of Flash or something on Showtime or whatever going to be prohibitively expensive for them? No faith in their performers? I mean, I agree with Smoking Crow that it would probably be for the best if they just hired actual wrestling writers. It's just kind of confusing because they brag about being the longest, most successful serialized tv show in history or whatever, but they actively work against presenting it like a serialized fiction tv show.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everything they do is driven by their massive inferiority complex.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
They mention it on the AE Podcast. But for a while they had an actual writer as their head writer who kept a whiteboard of all the wrestlers and who hated who etc (It also helped when they could say that so and so wouldn't run in to help Triple H because we saw that 4 months ago they were in a feud etc). From what I remember he was largely derided for taking the job seriously.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

They mention it on the AE Podcast. But for a while they had an actual writer as their head writer who kept a whiteboard of all the wrestlers and who hated who etc (It also helped when they could say that so and so wouldn't run in to help Triple H because we saw that 4 months ago they were in a feud etc). From what I remember he was largely derided for taking the job seriously.

Reminder that this dude was head writer during 2000 aka one of the best written years of WWE's history and when he left poo poo went south pretty fast.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

They also felt hiring Freddie Prinze jr as a writer would help with the product. It didn't.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Genuinely convinced they've only ever made compelling tv by accident.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Reminder that this dude was head writer during 2000 aka one of the best written years of WWE's history and when he left poo poo went south pretty fast.

He also died at 43. gently caress cancer. :(

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
no hire is going to make for consistent, logical tv when the guy running the show routinely rewrites the scripts less than 24 hours before the show airs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Or, y'know, while it's airing.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
If you count Wrestlemania 16, when he wrestled as himself, then Mick Foley has had a world title match with four completely separate gimmicks. Early and late Mankind are so different you could probably make a stretch for 5. Has anyone else come close to this?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't understand why they don't hire indie wrestling bookers/promoters to write it but that's just me

Meltzer has mentioned before that they typically dislike hiring fans. I assume because they don't want a fan fighting hard for specific guys they like to get all the pushes and perks. Because those belong to John Cena, and John Cena alone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Brutus Beefcake headlined against Hogan at Starrcade as The Butcher, and I think he got at least one title match against Hogan as Zodiac. That's all I can think of.

I'm not sure how you mean that; the writing is much, much better when it's treated as a fake sport.

Unless the pay is really high, no prominent writer wants to work for WWE and have everything they do ignored and overruled on a daily basis while being dismissed as a dork for actually caring about their job.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

They will hire the right guy, like Court Bauer. Mostly writing a single show a month is nothing like writing weekly TV so it isn't the best experience.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Bauer still got chewed out for using insider terms. I think it's partly a power thing, they don't want the creative people to think they know the business better than the family.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

Genuinely convinced they've only ever made compelling tv by accident.

This is almost the case. As stated before, the AE podcast makes the point that the guy was routinely laughed at and mocked for having actual storyboards and graphs/lists to make full sense of feuds and story-lines. Most people would realize that having a detailed list and point by point setups of major feuds and stories is common sense but of course the WWE fired/he left in 2001. I truly, absolutely believe that the Invasion story would have been 10000000 times better if they had a guy like that at the helm of writing it

That would be a fun little thought experiement, how would you make a non lovely Invasion story?

Edit: Chris Kreski was the guy's name as stated below, I forget it for a sec.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 29, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
His name was Chris Kreski, goddammit. And he was awesome.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is almost the case. As stated before, the AE podcast makes the point that the guy was routinely laughed at and mocked for having actual storyboards and graphs/lists to make full sense of feuds and story-lines. Most people would realize that having a detailed list and point by point setups of major feuds and stories is common sense but of course the WWE fired/he left in 2001. I truly, absolutely believe that the Invasion story would have been 10000000 times better if they had a guy like that at the helm of writing it

Yep. I wasn't being facetious I genuinely believe it. They make ridiculous tv even within the context of a ridiculous genre.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

He didn't leave in 2001. He was in the company for another 2 years after Steph took over. The Attitude Era podcast is mostly clueless.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 29, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

He didn't leave in 2001. He was in the company for another 2 years after Stephen took over. The Attitude Era podcast is mostly clueless.

That's why I love them

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Timby posted:

He also died at 43. gently caress cancer. :(

What's the guys name?

e. Just saw it posted. My bad.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

He didn't leave in 2001. He was in the company for another 2 years after Stephen took over. The Attitude Era podcast is mostly clueless.

I think Stephanie's sex change was the most shocking part of that era.

Kreski was a great head writer and you have to admit that it went downhill quickly from the moment Stephanie took over. A lot of that has to do with Vince happily pissing money down the drain for the sake of stroking his ego with the invasion but it doesn't help that Stephanie can't seem to differentiate between Vince's good and bad qualities.

She is the one who would tell the writers to not bother writing for anyone but the main eventers after all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like people keep harping on the Kreski thing even though it happened like 15 years ago, as if things don't change in the industry in that span of time and like they haven't had other writers who give a poo poo since. Vince is and always has been the stopgap for good ideas, and will be until he retires/dies. I understand that it's a glaring example of "they don't care about quality writing" but that length of time is ancient history in the entertainment industry. I mean obviously it sucks that it happened, but the way people keep bringing it up as the prime example of what's wrong with WWE, you'd think it happened a month ago.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

sticklefifer posted:

as if things don't change in the industry in that span of time
It's wrestling, of course nothing changes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Vince is and always has been the stopgap for good ideas, and will be until he retires/dies.
I think this is the reason for the attitude you're calling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Anything bringing WWE's process closer to a standard writers room would be an improvement but the leaked scripts do list plot points and goals.
They aren't completely hopeless.