Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

nasboat posted:

art is a gimmick, right? no one can be this dumb about HBD after all the goddamn seasons he's played

this has to be a gimmick

a loving long-con

You should actually be happy I didn't get him, as I wouldn't have been able to sign him. The guy I drafted at 15 asked for too much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
how do you spend more money than you require for signing draft picks without realizing it

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Scrotos posted:

What did your scouts show?

90 is the question, not 80

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

tatankatonk posted:

how do you spend more money than you require for signing draft picks without realizing it

nasboat posted:

art is a gimmick, right? no one can be this dumb about HBD after all the goddamn seasons he's played

this has to be a gimmick

a loving long-con

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Looking over the draft, Bing Bellhorn and Coco Bunch are some A++ name tools

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

tatankatonk posted:

ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

tatankatonk posted:

Do you think I didn't realize it? I correctly gambled that I wouldn't see anyone better in the draft and signed an IFA.

If I had signed those other 2 IFA dudes, the same thing would have happened.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Looking over the draft, Bing Bellhorn and Coco Bunch are some A++ name tools
Bing can play too, get ready to see his toothless grin mashing 30 HRs a year. Can't wait until his brothers Google and Metacrawler become draft eligible.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
yo how do i get them fancy sandwich picks

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

The broken bones posted:

If you sign ten sandwich picks, then your next sandwich pick is free

Real answer is you gotta guys who don't suck when they leave your team in free agency and sign with someone else

Or what Devo said vvv

uublog fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 31, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The broken bones posted:

Gotta have type A and type B players go free agent and get signed by another team. In your particular case you've got to have type A and type B players to begin with :haw:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

Do you think I didn't realize it? I correctly gambled that I wouldn't see anyone better in the draft and signed an IFA.

If I had signed those other 2 IFA dudes, the same thing would have happened.

The problem was the IFA you signed was not destroy your draft worthy.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Scrotos posted:

The problem was the IFA you signed was not destroy your draft worthy.

You'd still criticize me the same amount if i had spent all my money on the other guys, though.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

You'd still criticize me the same amount if i had spent all my money on the other guys, though.

No I would not, that other hitter is worth blowing up your draft for.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I made a gamble that didn't completely pay off, I'll admit it, but i don't regret taking it. Sometimes there's only 1 or 2 good IFA's, sometimes theres a lot of good ones. I probably should have waited to see if there would be others, but i didn't want to take the chance of wasting 25mil if no one else showed. I'm happy with Feliz, he'll never be a star, but he'll be pretty good.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Tbh if you're playing the IFA game art is absolutely right, it's a gamble. I've had multiple seasons where I wound up sitting on $15-20m in prospect budget because the good IFAs never showed up. Of course, my takeaway from that was 'gently caress IFAs' not 'double down on the first halfway decent dude to show up' but :shrug:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

gardenald posted:

Tbh if you're playing the IFA game art is absolutely right, it's a gamble. I've had multiple seasons where I wound up sitting on $15-20m in prospect budget because the good IFAs never showed up. Of course, my takeaway from that was 'gently caress IFAs' not 'double down on the first halfway decent dude to show up' but :shrug:

The rule to take away is the one AV always says, "You bid what you think the player is worth right away and never move, unless its end of season spend money time."

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

davewillie...???

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Scrotos posted:

The rule to take away is the one AV always says, "You bid what you think the player is worth right away and never move, unless its end of season spend money time."

That's also a gamble, unfortunately. All it takes is one person not doing that for each IFA and you end up empty handed at the end of the season. I mean, I get it, Feliz isn't a guy I would've gone all in on, especially as one of the first IFAs of the season, but I understand generally where art's coming from on this.

tatankatonk posted:

davewillie...???

Did not see that one coming

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

davewillie...???

Drafting Andre Hunter just got way more exciting.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

tatankatonk posted:

davewillie...???

Davewillie is the New Art

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

It's nice that I lost 2 of 3 to Chicago even with their pitcher spot batting 3rd. Jerry Sizemore sucks and I regret re-signing him.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Camp hasn't even simmed yet and it's 11:30, so be prepared for today's PM Part 1 cycle to be late as hell

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Oh wow, neither has Mordecai. Does Camp usually sim before Mordy?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Oh wow, neither has Mordecai. Does Camp usually sim before Mordy?

yeah it's the earliest one I have, and judging by the gap between them I'd estimate there's maybe 2-3 other worlds that seem in between. They're pretty close.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

And Zimmer sims an hour after everyone else has finished.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

And Zimmer sims an hour after everyone else has finished.

wow, a world that was just created within the last ~8 months sims at the very end, who would've thought

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

lol Camp is simming right now, so we're about an hour behind

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Atheistdeals.com posted:

It's nice that I lost 2 of 3 to Chicago even with their pitcher spot batting 3rd. Jerry Sizemore sucks and I regret re-signing him.

Forgetting to set non dh lineups for interleague play whatup

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

gardenald posted:

Forgetting to set non dh lineups for interleague play whatup

i only avoided running out a terrible DH lineup because it didn't sim until quarter to 1 and so i had time to fix them

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Totally gonna get swept by Portland

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Please, please, please Elcano trap game.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm so relieved to have not lost to Trenton, although Shayne Kearns just lost like a 19-game hitting streak

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Tucson just completely smoked my pitching staff 2 out of 3 games and now I have to win 2 against Anaheim just to break even in this interleague season :mad:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Devo posted:

Tucson just completely smoked my pitching staff 2 out of 3 games and now I have to win 2 against Anaheim just to break even in this interleague season :mad:

My team is fearful in name and recent reputation only this season. Offense is down, Cashman's on the shelf for a few turns.

Really I don't see how I won't be a seller in a couple weeks but I guess anything can happen.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Totally gonna get swept by Portland

:toot:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

So my team is doing pretty well...

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

buffalo magic has run out

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

You should be ashamed, this team is a tire fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

chutwig posted:

buffalo magic has run out

It'll be back very shortly

• Locked thread