Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

posh spaz posted:

What an odd thing to say.

Translating the 2d world into 3d and keeping a lot of the style and references was something I think they did well. I mean, they could have slapped the Fallout tag on a title and ignored the story and previous games completely and still sold as many copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

Translating the 2d world into 3d and keeping a lot of the style and references was something I think they did well. I mean, they could have slapped the Fallout tag on a title and ignored the story and previous games completely and still sold as many copies.

I can't say I feel like Fallout 3 was anything but something with the Fallout tag slapped onto it.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Mantis42 posted:

Wait, getting back to the Chinese thing, how the hell does the Lone Wanderer read the spec op book?

I just assumed that the spec op book was printed in English for distribution to Chinese sympathizing citizens.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Man Whore posted:

I just assumed that the spec op book was printed in English for distribution to Chinese sympathizing citizens.

Because the books disappeared, I just always imagined the main character eats them or absorbs them into his skin.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

well they are 200 years old so they probably just fall apart when you read them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Man Whore posted:

well they are 200 years old so they probably just fall apart when you read them.

Thats why you have to read them over and over again. You get a few pages / chapter in and it falls apart. Find a new copy and pick up where you left off until that one turns to dust. If you found one in perfect condition you'd get your skill up to 100 in one sitting, but no such luck.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Garrand posted:

Thats why you have to eat them over and over again. You get a few pages / chapter in and it falls apart. Find a new copy and pick up where you left off until that one turns to dust. If you found one in perfect condition you'd get your skill up to 100 in one sitting, but no such luck.

That...makes a lot of sense, actually.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Why not? Bethesda owns Id.

I highly doubt they'll retread the genre after RAGE though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

The lone wanderer is just a very simple kind of person..

People say that Fallout 3 isn't faithful to the originals, but it actually stayed really true to doing a low-intelligence run :downs:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mantis42 posted:

Wait, getting back to the Chinese thing, how the hell does the Lone Wanderer read the spec op book?

He just looks at the pictures. Which are all about sneaking.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe it has plenty of pretty pictures

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Lone Wanderer has more of a fixed story s/he has spent all their life in a small enviroment with only a handful of people. The Courier has more of a player designed personality, and has travelled quite a lot.

Bascially, the Lone Wanderer is socially awakard, is what I'm saying. Explains the dialogue sometimes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fallout 3: ITT you are a basement-dwelling goon forced to go outside

[Edited to fit in 75 characters, in case someone wants it for an LP title]

EDIT 2: Wait, wasn't CHarisma basically useless in Fallout 3? Explains a lot.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 2, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

People say that Fallout 3 isn't faithful to the originals, but it actually stayed really true to doing a low-intelligence run :downs:

You are Bethesda. You just released TES IV: Oblivion which somehow obliterated the previous editions of the franchise in sales. You are about to start development of a new game.

Step 1: know your audience.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

The lone wanderer is just a very simple kind of person..

What I find funny about these "intelligent" lines is not only that they're often just stating the bleeding obvious, but also that the person you're speaking to will then regard you as the next Stephen Hawking. "Wow, you're a smart one!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Fallout 3: ITT you are a basement-dwelling goon forced to go outside

[Edited to fit in 75 characters, in case someone wants it for an LP title]

EDIT 2: Wait, wasn't CHarisma basically useless in Fallout 3? Explains a lot.

It boosted the percentage for skill check successes I think.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What I find funny about these "intelligent" lines is not only that they're often just stating the bleeding obvious, but also that the person you're speaking to will then regard you as the next Stephen Hawking. "Wow, you're a smart one!"

A slice of life at the Bethesda writing department :rolleyes:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Byzantine posted:

At least one group didn't, and the last survivor had to be ordered to stand down by his former commanding officer.
If they had made a single effort to link Mama Dolce's still being in operation selling to new settlements by selling food made out of sawdust and squirrel asses instead of being yet another dungeon with inexplicable characters they'd have the credit you give them.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is great, but things sort of grow giant cracks the moment you spend a single minute thinking about them

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is great, but things sort of grow giant cracks the moment you spend a single minute thinking about them

fallout3.txt

I literally don't even remember this Chinese invasion or whatever you guys are talking about, and I played that game for around 80-100 hours. I'm gonna guess it was some ten minute dungeon run with a terminal or two that is never mentioned outside of itself like almost every other dungeon in the game, yes?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Wolfsheim posted:

I literally don't even remember this Chinese invasion or whatever you guys are talking about, and I played that game for around 80-100 hours. I'm gonna guess it was some ten minute dungeon run with a terminal or two that is never mentioned outside of itself like almost every other dungeon in the game, yes?

It is one dungeon that has nothing besides some quasi-unique enemies (Chinese ghouls) and a couple of terminal entries, with a Tokyo Rose-styled radio station being available in the region of it. However, I can't really blame them for this one because it feels very much like an unfinished quest that they just didn't have the time to remove. I think the area around it is fairly glitchy (more so than most areas), and there are some amusing curiosities like two Very Hard-locked doors with nothing but walls behind them.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I say this without vitriol, but Bethesda are very peculiar about reactivity, and their tactics make far less sense than some of the RPG studios that simply don't bother. It's not that they won't include it in their game - it's just that they can't seem to pick their moments to acknowledge the player's stats and choices wisely or intuitively. And so we end up with headpatting that makes very little sense, the natural conclusion of which is the endlessly chattering, utterly omniscient guards in Skyrim.

"OH, SO YOU'RE HIGHLY SKILLED AT WEAPONS-CRAFTING, ARE YOU?"

Just a pretty bizarre thing to spend money on, all that voice acting to so little gain.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 2, 2015

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

grobbo posted:

Just a pretty bizarre thing to spend money on, all that voice acting to so little gain.

true. Reality is no excuse for bad fiction, but in the real world, cops don't talk to you unless you're in trouble or you talk to them. The chattering in general is really baffling and disconcerting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the area housing the commie ghouls is somewhere near the cemetery. I didn't visit it until I was done with all the DLC and started actively looking for unexplored locations using a wiki.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

grobbo posted:

I say this without vitriol, but Bethesda are very peculiar about reactivity, and their tactics make far less sense than some of the RPG studios that simply don't bother. It's not that they won't include it in their game - it's just that they can't seem to pick their moments to acknowledge the player's stats and choices wisely or intuitively. And so we end up with headpatting that makes very little sense, the natural conclusion of which is the endlessly chattering, utterly omniscient guards in Skyrim.

The guards know all about you. everyone has. But the nords are a hard people, not easily impressed. Also only the chattiest people become guards for some reason.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

grobbo posted:

Bethesda's solution is to keep their three non-celebrity voice actors chained in a basement.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think the lowest point for player dialogue is the speech check for talking John Henry Eden to death. The Lone Wanderer's whole argument is basically "You really, really suck and, uh, you should die."

Utritum fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 3, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Doesn't Fallout 3 only have one low-intelligence check, and it being when you're talking to a robot in one of the bombed-out schools?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If they had made a single effort to link Mama Dolce's still being in operation selling to new settlements by selling food made out of sawdust and squirrel asses instead of being yet another dungeon with inexplicable characters they'd have the credit you give them.

I remember back in 2008 when I first started playing Fallout 3 I thought that it was a prequel set back when the vaults first opened because that was the only way the quest to raid the supermarket made any loving sense.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

Doesn't Fallout 3 only have one low-intelligence check, and it being when you're talking to a robot in one of the bombed-out schools?

Yeah, they were making a joke about the piss-poor writing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Theta Zero posted:

Wow, I never knew about that. I tried doing a low Int run once but when I figured out it probably wasn't going to give me any funny dialogue options I said screw it, I wanted the skill points.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah, they were making a joke about the piss-poor writing.

I know that, but I can't remember verbatim, I wasn't sure if it sounded as dumb as the high-intelligence checks.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Skyrim COPS is actually canon and explains everything really.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

grobbo posted:

I've found most people tend to think a game is really good based on little touches like this. Personally, I find it to be pretty impressive. I get really excited when games react to things I do. I guess I'm the target audience for this.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I like when games react to things I do but not when that reaction is goku blasting down from namek to tell me that mine lockpicking is the best he's ever seen.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've found most people tend to think a game is really good based on little touches like this. Personally, I find it to be pretty impressive. I get really excited when games react to things I do. I guess I'm the target audience for this.

I didn't mean that I think background reactivity is bad. It isn't; it's brilliant, and we need more of it.

But Bethesda don't really seem to know when to implement it, and they often waste their time and energy on the strangest possible instances. Having random guards constantly bark out a laundry list of observations like, 'Don't try anything around me, sneak-thief,' or 'Psst. Hail Sithis,' is peculiar because it's so isolated from the rest of the (largely unreactive) game, and it makes zero sense within the gameworld. How do these guards all know so much about my skills and choices? Why doesn't anyone *else* seem to know about my skills and choices? Why do the guards all play dumb when I try to actually talk to them about their bewildering omniscience? Why is it that the next time I show up in town, the same guard has completely forgotten he was angrily accusing me of being a sneak-thief last time around and is now chummily asking me to craft some armour for him? Why isn't the blacksmith commenting on my renowned armour-crafting skills, instead of these anonymous assholes?

It's reactivity, sure, but without any underlying common sense or logic to it, and it's so insistently shallow and mechanical that it ends up making the world feel less alive rather than more alive.

One of the great things about the faction system in NV is that it makes background reactivity feel logical and specific. As you hang around a faction more often, doing quests for them and gaining approval, their random barks become friendlier. NPCs stop muttering threateningly about outsiders and start greeting you as one of their own. That's much more intuitive than the Skyrim system, and it's much more effective in making you feel as if you're living amongst real people instead of CONDITIONAL_MET_BOTs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

grobbo posted:

Why is it that the next time I show up in town, the same guard has completely forgotten he was angrily accusing me of being a sneak-thief last time around and is now chummily asking me to craft some armour for him?

How do you know it's the same guard?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

computer parts posted:

How do you know it's the same guard?

He could be using a mod that varies their equipment and actually lets you see their face through the eye-slits :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I like when games react to things I do but not when that reaction is goku blasting down from namek to tell me that mine lockpicking is the best he's ever seen.

You're using some odd mods.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

You're using some odd the best mods.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

That would actually be much preferable to what actually happens in Skyrim