Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Inept translation:
"The sex slaves of Boko Haram are angry"
"Don't touch our child benefit!" (i.e. welfare payment for having children)

Je suis Charlie :jerkbag:

I absolutely condemn the killings and do not believe anyone at Charlie Hebdo should have been murdered in cold blood. I support their right to free speech.

Don't expect me, though, to stand in solidarity with a bunch of smug loving white-boy racists exploiting that right to free speech to be unrelenting assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

no no but qm haven't you heard

this thread is for saying "murder bad, people have a free speech"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so brave

:swoon:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

#jesuisAWyattMann

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Inept translation:
"The sex slaves of Boko Haram are angry"
"Don't touch our child benefit!" (i.e. welfare payment for having children)

Holy poo poo

pics for the pic thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 8, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Those On My Left posted:

no no but qm haven't you heard

this thread is for saying "murder bad, people have a free speech"

You don't have to agree with everything or anything Hebdo has ever published to stand in solidarity with them for the right to publish it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Those using this massacre as an opportunity to criticize Charlie Hebdo's content remind me of the folks who, on the third Monday of January each year, like to point out Martin Luther King, Jr. cheated on his wife.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 8, 2015

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

420 Gank Mid posted:

You don't have to agree with everything or anything Hebdo has ever published to stand in solidarity with them for the right to publish it.

Yep.

No one on this good small planet has the right to not be offended.

For American sensibilities of the right or left:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech-lgbt-rights/why-fred-phelpss-free-speech-rights-should-matter-us-all

Are you offended?

If so, it's on you.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 8, 2015

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Typical of the D&D hivemind to support raping and eating live infants. :rolleyes:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

needs a "pretends to be black" space imo

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30721677

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ElMaligno posted:

needs a "pretends to be black" space imo

The guy in D&D who was pretending to be black hated SJWs though

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"Steve Bell on the Charlie Hebdo attack – At least 12 dead after three gunmen walk into Paris magazine Charlie Hebdo's offices and open fire before fleeing in a getaway car"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXVEnxtZe_w

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Glad I watched this, the stuff he brings up about intellectual property being inherently "communist" in the sense that it seems to be resistant to economic controls and wants to be "free" has been on my mind for a while.

lumpycnt
Oct 9, 2012

This Charlie Hebdo thing has no more to do with Islam than a burka does. It's about bitter assholes looking for whatever excuse they can, so they can justify to what is left of their soul, that they are murdering people, because they are angry at the world. Nitpicking through religious texts until you find the excuse you're looking for doesn't make you religious.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Why it's almost as if saying "I am <whatever>" were an empty statement expressing at best a vague sentiment without any deeper rationalization or line of thought carried to it's logical end. "I support the freedom for people to publish opinions and views, even if I might vehemently disagree with them or find them offensive or in bad taste" is a bit too nuanced and wordy for a sound-byte; but it's not necessary to imply that anyone expressing glib support for Charlie Hebdo's content rather than an instinctual (and let's face it, morally correct) revulsion at the attacks.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

Why it's almost as if saying "I am <whatever>" were an empty statement expressing at best a vague sentiment without any deeper rationalization or line of thought carried to it's logical end. "I support the freedom for people to publish opinions and views, even if I might vehemently disagree with them or find them offensive or in bad taste" is a bit too nuanced and wordy for a sound-byte; but it's not necessary to imply that anyone expressing glib support for Charlie Hebdo's content rather than an instinctual (and let's face it, morally correct) revulsion at the attacks.

To take the more extreme example, Americans might agree that you shouldn't attack a KKK member at their rally, but they wouldn't stand around with "I am the KKK" signs afterward.

Young woman defends Klansman from attack:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

To take the more extreme example, Americans might agree that you shouldn't attack a KKK member at their rally, but they wouldn't stand around with "I am the KKK" signs afterward.

I would have used Lou Dobbs as an example, but yeah same idea.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Speaking of stupid, here's a polandball

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Wheeee posted:

Where's the B12 supplements? Hope they enjoy their brain literally decaying.
Also that's a hell of a lot of grains and fruits grown using petrochemical-intensive industrial agriculture and deforestation combined with slave labour, respectively. Not exactly healthy for you or the planet, but hey, who cares because meat is literally murder or something!
Veganism is the libertarianism of the agricultural/nutrition world: Attacking a legitimate problem (Industrial agriculture/corporate-owned government) with bad science, emotional pleading, insane axiomatic thinking and cult-like proselytizing.

That may be "a hell of a lot of grains and fruits grown using petrochemical-intensive industrial agriculture.......", but it took half to 2/3 the "petrochemicals, deforestation and slave labour" to produce than an average meat-eater's daily food consumption does.

If you can suggest what people who choose not to eat animal products can do to further reduce the damage to society and the environment caused by the consumption of their daily caloric requirements , I'm sure that they'd be interested to hear. But, given that not eating animal products is already the biggest such change that one can make, there's not much space for individuals to make an improvement, aside from becoming a subsistence farmer.
And who said that veganism "attacks Industrial agriculture/corporate-owned government" at all, let alone with your subsequent spurious qualifiers? What happened to reducing unnecessary animal suffering?
Did a vegan upset you one time? Maybe you should get therapy?
The B12 supplements are included on the chart*, by the way. Maybe you didn't understand it. You might want to have your blood tested in case your brain is literally decaying, since upwards of 39% of meat-eaters may have B12 deficiency.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm
[*not that I agree with the chart in general]

Rand alPaul posted:

That is so much loving food. Here is half a cup of grains.

No, that's 2/3 of a cup of uncooked grains, which is 1.5-2 cups cooked. Vegans tend not to eat uncooked rice, you know.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Comparing Charlie Hebdo to the KKK does not only feel like a cop-out way to say "...but they were racists", it also shows an absolute ignorance of what the paper is, and what it stands for.
I'd also like to point out that saying they somehow deserved it, or should have expected it because they made fun of muslims(amongst others) is downright insulting to the vast majority of muslims who doesn't go around killing cartoonists and writers. It's a also a million times more damaging to them than anything CH ever did, as it drills them up as this "other" that you shouldn't ever taunt or make fun of, or you'll end up dead.

Anyway, I'm reading reports of mosques being attacked after the attack. The people perpetrating these attacks are loving cockroaches, I remember them attacking and defacing mosques in Britain and Germany before the corpses were cold, and the news were out, during the Breivik attacks here in Norway. These people are scumbags looking for any confirmation to their biases, real or fake they don't care, and I hope the lot of them are caught and locked up.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 8, 2015

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE

mlmp08 posted:

Hahahahaha I love this loving thread

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hate pants posted:

Hahahahaha I love this loving thread

Agreed this thread owns. Also if you couldn't tell I was taking a laughably hard line to illustrate the gist of the argument, lol. How about this: if breitbart or the blaze or some other publication I disagree with got attacked I'd condemn the attack but wouldn't say "I am blank"

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE

mlmp08 posted:

Agreed this thread owns. Also if you couldn't tell I was taking a laughably hard line to illustrate the gist of the argument, lol. How about this: if breitbart or the blaze or some other publication I disagree with got attacked I'd condemn the attack but wouldn't say "I am blank"

I could tell and it was stupid. By comparing Charlie Hebdo to American conservatives you're showing that you have no loving clue what you're talking about.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hate pants posted:

I could tell and it was stupid. By comparing Charlie Hebdo to American conservatives you're showing that you have no loving clue what you're talking about.

Please provide me with a list of all speech you will permit humans to compare with Charlie hebdo so that I may find one I dislike and make exactly the same point.

I am free speech.

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
You realize that these people are dead right

edit: also Charlie were far from right wing. You don't know anything about the history of French satire or Charlie's place in it

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

^post a picture, idiot

I only wish I didn't have to default to being a racist twat just because I'm anti-murder.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

American conservatives are pretty garbage tho

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hate pants posted:

You realize that these people are dead right

edit: also Charlie were far from right wing. You don't know anything about the history of French satire or Charlie's place in it

Literally none of these words have a thing to do with my point, and yes I know they aren't right wing. Maybe you're just bad at understanding words, such as the ones that say this thread is for images.

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE

mlmp08 posted:

Literally none of these words have a thing to do with my point, and yes I know they aren't right wing. Maybe you're just bad at understanding words, such as the ones that say this thread is for images.

I'm sorry what about them exactly do you disagree with? Is it that they mock religion - all religion? Because your point about the kkk or breitbart or whatever is still incredibly stupid if that's the case.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm not sure if looking at political satire outside of its context and in a language that is not your own is the best way to judge it.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

hate pants posted:

I'm sorry what about them exactly do you disagree with? Is it that they mock religion - all religion? Because your point about the kkk or breitbart or whatever is still incredibly stupid if that's the case.

His point was that you can condemn attacks without supporting the message of the victims. You know, because people have a right to not be attacked for having lovely views.
The cartoons seem pretty racist with no context. And a lot of them still seem pretty racist knowing that its intended to be satire of racists

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
What is the message that you don't support?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

hate pants posted:

What is the message that you don't support?

pussy riot police posted:

The cartoons seem pretty racist with no context. And a lot of them still seem pretty racist knowing that its intended to be satire of racists

God drat son.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Look, before you talk about how Hebdo published racist, disagreeable cartoons, I just have to make sure: Do you agree with me that murder is bad? Yes or no. We can't move forward with this argument until you agree with me, that shooting people is Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/media_categories?category=6

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread