Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm the bookmark of "Hump the Bundle" :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also i'm the busty short haired teen

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at least I wish I was the busty short-haired teen :smith:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

at least I wish I was the busty short-haired teen :smith:

man boobs are still busty

"cookies"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'm the price difference between $1.04 USD cookies and $0.37 cellular, for mobile phone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, my sweet innocent child. That card setup? That's not just for one-off little things, huge companies use it for their payroll as well (in many states in lieu of offering checks at all, just their prepaid card or direct deposit). I'm talking major drug store chains, retail places, and I've heard lately that even Disney with its ~60k employees has moved to it for their lower rungs. The cards are complete poo poo, there's no way to directly transfer your balance or write checks/cheques, and they're totally riddled with fees (of which I'd bet employers receive a cut). Just check out some of the more obvious fees

On top of that, there's a $2500 maximum balance on your wonderful slave bank account, you are charged extra if you want to share your account with another person, they normally do not function for international purchases, and some brands of cards even have a PER-PURCHASE fee (as in every single time you enter your PIN, you're charged $2.00 or whatever)

e: And yes, that "reload" fee does mean you have to pay money to deposit to your account

jesus christ

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

americans can use venmo now which is effectively effortless

but i think what bank of england is saying in that image is that people can transfer directly, as in ~~no middlemen~~ like bank of england, venmo, western union.

idk what difference that actually makes though

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Muscle Tracer posted:

idk what difference that actually makes though

*no fees

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My apartment still only accepts checks and money orders but lol if I'm going to be assed to hand-write a check every month.

My bank's solution to this is that I set up an "on-line bill pay" account for them, and my bank literally prints a check and mails it to them once a month.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

My apartment still only accepts checks and money orders but lol if I'm going to be assed to hand-write a check every month.

My bank's solution to this is that I set up an "on-line bill pay" account for them, and my bank literally prints a check and mails it to them once a month.

i've had the check get lost in the mail this way before, it sucks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ruby idiot railed posted:

this is also why i don't use that thing even though my bank offers it too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my complex won't let you set up two names for the online pay thing which is bullshit because my roommate and i split it and now i have to write her a check once a month to cover my half of rent/electric/cable

i just ordered a box of checks, it will last me until the end of time.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

mine used to treat it like a cashier's check and take the funds immediately when it issued the check
now they don't do that so i guess it would be marginally less lovely if it got lost in the mail

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

americans can use venmo now which is effectively effortless

about that...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/02/26/why-would-anyone-in-her-right-mind-use-venmo/

http://www.businessinsider.com/venmo-is-not-nearly-as-secure-as-you-might-think-2015-2

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/safety_net/2015/02/venmo_security_it_s_not_as_strong_as_the_company_wants_you_to_think.html

http://theweek.com/speedreads/541339/should-beware-sending-money-venmo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ruby idiot railed posted:

Yeah, I have the bank send it like 5 days before the first of the month, it should get there 2-3 days early, and I have until the 4th to pay just in case. My apartment manager is nice enough to phone me up on day 4 if it still hasn't arrived at which point I cut her a physical check from my checkbook which I have only ever used to pay her with ever.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Literally The Worst posted:

i just ordered a box of checks, it will last me until the end of time.

Those checks have an address on them and you will move before you get through the first checkbook.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh cool 44 new posts, i wonder what happ...

:catstare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

slogsdon posted:

you know you can do online transfers with western union now right

As someone who works in AML at an institution which used to have a service by which someone could exit funds to a Moneygram, you can do online transfers but they raise eyebrows almost as reliably as evidence of bitcoin-related bank transfers does. Turns out using the service advertising itself as "great for emergencies and third world remittances" on a daily basis becomes pretty questionable pretty fast. The rural parts of this country are full of people who don't know anything about fraud and will happily take those "I made 8975 an hour" blog comments seriously, and end up being a patsy for Vietnamese skimmer rings who use them as fronts to launder money from the stolen cards, like those "we buy stuff for you and you give us bitcoin" services but with actual money.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Snapchat A Titty posted:

better gear up for laughchain studies

all publications are peer-to-peer reviewed

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

posted to /r/bitcoin under the title "Why Bitcoin Will Be Bigger Than the Internet in Two Sentences"

Naturally, the UK will adopt bitcoin so that a handful of spergs in the USA and China have all the nation's wealth, and not just start up the Epound or whatever.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

you can set it to private with trivial ease

but yes, people are idiots. a stunning discovery

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Poopy Palpy posted:

Those checks have an address on them and you will move before you get through the first checkbook.

ive moved twice since my first set of checks and haven't had any problem using them

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh cool 44 new posts, i wonder what happ...

:catstare:

at least its not a cash/card derail

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

As someone who works in AML at an institution which used to have a service by which someone could exit funds to a Moneygram, you can do online transfers but they raise eyebrows almost as reliably as evidence of bitcoin-related bank transfers does. Turns out using the service advertising itself as "great for emergencies and third world remittances" on a daily basis becomes pretty questionable pretty fast. The rural parts of this country are full of people who don't know anything about fraud and will happily take those "I made 8975 an hour" blog comments seriously, and end up being a patsy for Vietnamese skimmer rings who use them as fronts to launder money from the stolen cards, like those "we buy stuff for you and you give us bitcoin" services but with actual money.

who the gently caress legitimately uses western union on a daily basis?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Tracer posted:

how is setting it to private going to stop the glaring security issues?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

i've never heard of venmo until just now, am I finally out of touch? :smith:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I guess it's popular in some places.
I work in a college campus in a town full of universities and have never heard anyone say anything about "venmo me". I've heard a few people talk bout bitcoins though :smith:

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

I did this for my rent too. after a few months it switched automatically from the printed check to the pure electronic version, so I bet they send out propaganda along with the check to shame people into joining the future

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

then you were spared months of looking at ads of a bored looking guy advertising it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

then you were spared months of looking at ads of a bored looking guy advertising it

Were these TV ads? Guess it's not targeting my market cuz I have the TV on the law and order SVU 24/7 channel while I'm doing other things and I've never seen a commercial for it.

If it's web ads then lol I haven't seen a web ad in like a decade.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poopy Palpy posted:

I literally only give them to my roommate so I give precisely no fucks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i thought venmo was a chain of liquor stores in california until recently

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yeah these were everywhere in the nyc subway a few months ago. I didn't know venmo had become a huge thing, just stopped seeing the ads and figured it had gone the way of most tech startups

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
re: companies paying people with those lovely debit cards - i started my education at a community college where most students were getting some kind of government financial aid. the default option to get your financial aid was this higher one for education card that had even more rapacious fees than the greendot payroll card described earlier. the opt-out process was ludicrous. free market at work

sorry for continuing the derail

in bitcoin news, paypal cancelled Mega's account and now kim dotcom is promoting bitcoin payments: https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/571182813937971200

with predictable results:

quote:

ChangeTip ‏@ChangeTip 12h12 hours ago
@KimDotcom, @iamOsiris3 just tipped you 1 bacon (198 bits/$0.05) in bitcoin! Get it here ➔ http://changetip.com/c/JuyC?m=11

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i like the bookmarks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Muscle Tracer posted:

:lol: Venmo was for a while the way bitcoiners paid each other after hooking up through localbitcoins until someone started ripping off all the bitcoiners in the NYC area by using stolen cards and when bitcoiners tried complaining to Venmo they were like "well the conditions explicitly say we don't allow merchant activity and you are selling bitcoins so not only are you not getting the money we're going to freeze your account and the accounts of anyone you live with."

The best thing was when someone was griping on social media about how they let someone use stolen cards as though cards worked that way anywhere. If they aren't declining they aren't declining. If they were reported stolen then they wouldn't be able to use them, it isn't like a merchant can make a stolen card not decline as stolen.

I investigate similar activity with a different company and have heard similar arguments from bitcoiners there, though Venmo is reportedly EXTREMELY proactive in freezing bitcoiner accounts permanently.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so unlike other startups, venmo is proactively trying not to blatantly break the law and engage in criminal conspiracy?

cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

duTrieux. posted:

so unlike other startups, venmo is proactively trying not to blatantly break the law and engage in criminal conspiracy?

cool.

Eh, I've heard they grew a little faster than their AML/AF measures could scale and got into some regulatory hot water a while back but managed to right the ship after getting bought by ebay/paypal because they were able to leverage their much larger resources.

• Locked thread