Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poopy Palpy posted:

Those checks have an address on them and you will move before you get through the first checkbook.

last book of cheques I ordered had the address as optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
checkchat is unmutual

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

help i wrote a check and misspelled one letter in the other guy's name and now neither of us have access to the funds is there anything i can do

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

AlbieQuirky posted:

checkchat is unmutual

i refuse to create joinder with your check

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
your honor, as you can see this check is to be drawn against my legal strawman account stored in the social security illuminati federal reserve

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

this thread always gets back to loving checks

its like how the CAD thread had an eerily accurate spiral diagram of the thread patterns

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mido posted:

this thread always gets back to loving checks

its like how the CAD thread had an eerily accurate spiral diagram of the thread patterns
here i know how to stop the check derail

chip and pin

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

anthonypants posted:

chip and pin

gently caress you

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

anthonypants posted:

chip and pin

if the door that's opened has a chip behind it, should i change my choice?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

anthonypants posted:

fish and chips and pin

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

help i wrote a check and misspelled one letter in the other guy's name and now neither of us have access to the funds is there anything i can do

I filled out a check in pencil once and it got held for two weeks and finally the federal reserve rejected it and wrote "DON'T USE PENCIL!!" in the transaction message thing that got attached to it in my bank statement that's my check story thanks for listening

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

chip and pin

rescue rangers

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

if the door that's opened has a chip behind it, should i change my choice?

you should change your choice 99.99...% of the time

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I paid for a burg just now with my cc and it took less than 15 seconds for the order, process card, receipt signage

but suddenly my hands trembled and my world went black and white

a loud siren blares and a man's deafening voice blows through my brain

"THERE HAS GOT TO BEE A BETTER WAAY"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

only w/malt vinegar or you can gtfo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

only w/malt vinegar or you can gtfo

what kind of maniac uses anything but?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

what kind of maniac uses anything but?

don't you live in the midwest? you should know the answer to this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

is the answer: "ranch dressing"?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

QuarkJets posted:

banks will take just about anything it really doesn't matter who you make it out to

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lamont Cranston posted:

banks will take just about anything it really doesn't matter who you make it out to
be your own bank

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
This one's an oldie, but it's about scammy checks to the tune of $95k so it should help bring the thread back around to usual bitter topics.

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2

I guess the equivalent in BTC land would be to create a paper wallet with the usual $20 per 1000-roll frangible hologram stickers, but probably have the company's URL in the hidden private key area... Actually, that kind of sounds like a fun project. Hell, have it be a real public key on there to capture any deposits people would ever make in case a real dummy finds one

e: Actually, have the public key set to a well known cold wallet like one of the Satoshi originals so people can have a heart attack if they check the balance

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
god this laff drought is the worst, boom march can't start soon enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx9nCxrYnVE

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
we've talked about how checks work in the US

now what about Brazil

how do checks work in Brazil

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
is the Monty hall problem really a common derail?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

El_Elegante posted:

is the Monty hall problem really a common derail?

no but it was a really long one

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

san diego is kind of like the midwest i guess

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

be your own bank

take almost anything
still make money

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

san diego is kind of like the midwest i guess

does the air hurt your face in San Diego? No? Then it's nothing like it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

does the air hurt your face in San Diego? No? Then it's nothing like it.

we've been having nighttime lows in the upper 50s. poo poo's been apocalyptic

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

anthonypants posted:

chip and win

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

i'm the bitcoiner who's proudly displaying his whopping $25 balance

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

god drat you

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

poik007 posted:

we've talked about how checks work in the US

now what about Brazil

how do checks work in Brazil

my father once paid his employees using his drink buddy checkbook. another time he signed his checks with a pencil. every check was correctly cleared. i already told him he should stop drinking before doing payroll, but he loves his booze.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

re: companies paying people with those lovely debit cards - i started my education at a community college where most students were getting some kind of government financial aid. the default option to get your financial aid was this higher one for education card that had even more rapacious fees than the greendot payroll card described earlier. the opt-out process was ludicrous. free market at work
I remember that poo poo when it got introduced. I had a fight with the school's financial aid office and it was bad enough on campus that the campus newspaper did interviews about it, to the general thesis of "This loving sucks, give us our money you thieves"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Luke-Jr decides to rename "paper wallet" to "Paper ECDSA private keys" for all of us. Replaces all paper wallet information on the Bitcoin Wiki with what he prefers to use (HD mnemonic wallet backups). (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 10 hours ago * by cantonbecker

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

:nsamad:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

also i'm the busty short haired teen

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we've had a lot of great, succinct compliations of the antics of logansryche, americanpegasus, BFL/Josh/Inaba, etc., but I feel like the only thing I know about Luke-jr is the tonal numbering system and it looks like there's a lot more gold in that there hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MGN001
May 12, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Luke-Jr decides to rename "paper wallet" to "Paper ECDSA private keys" for all of us. Replaces all paper wallet information on the Bitcoin Wiki with what he prefers to use (HD mnemonic wallet backups). (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 10 hours ago * by cantonbecker

quote:

[–]BitttBurger 4 points 9 hours ago
I've said it before and I will say it again. There is a reason why Developers should not be in control of product development priorities, naming, feature lists, or planning for a product. That is the job of the sales, marketing, and product development teams who actually interface with the customer. They are the ones who do the research and know what's needed for a product. They are the ones who are supposed to decide what things are called, what features come next, and how quickly poo poo gets out the door.

Bitcoin has none of that. You've got a Financial product, being created for a financial market, by a bunch of developers with no experience in finance, and (more importantly) absolutely no way for the market to have any input or control over what gets done, or what it's called. That is crazy to me.
Luke is a perfect example of why you don't give developers control over anything other than the structure of the code.

They are not supposed to be making product development decisions. They are not supposed to be naming anything. And they definitely are not supposed to be deciding "what comes next" or how quickly things get done. In any other company, this process would be considered suicide.

quote:

You've got a Financial product, being created for a financial market, by a bunch of developers with no experience in finance

• Locked thread