Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yukari posted:

The second time I went through the tomb, I didn't get the locator since all you have to do is just take a right every chance you get and it'll bring you around the edge in order.
Yeah, I have a tendency to do this with any maze in any game so this area was really easy for me. The only hiccup is the last step, after you've visited the room on the left and you have to get to the middle, and even that's not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I must have a really good sense of spatial awareness, because I never knew you could buy a locator and never had any problems navigating the maze, given the map. Again, though, following either outer wall takes you to most of the important places, and going counter-clockwise brings you to them in a correct order. The center is a straight line in from the entrance.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
KC and JO-JO

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've always wanted to name them Lovers.

I've never needed to use the locator, either. It's a pretty easy dungeon to navigate with just the free map.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
The game doesn't actually care if you go into this place or not. The number is only ever 2 digits at most, so it's feasible to brute-force it if you wanted to skip the dungeon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember getting lost a whole bunch until I figured out the camera melarky. Then it was simple.

Never refined no cards nor items or any of that and I leveled up so the brothers beat me badly until I float'd everyone.

Seconding this.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

9 character limit, guys.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Gonna put a vote for Sisters.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

MinMax

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 6, 2015

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Vil posted:

9 character limit, guys.

That's right, so if you want SquareEnix, choose your preferred misspelling.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dangit one too long.

SquarEnix manages to preserve both though!

... Or SqareEnix could work too.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
SqueEnix.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Changed mine to SquarEnix.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm changing my vote to SquarEnix, too.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Squenix

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
SquarEnix

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 6, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I don't think I ever talked to that guy again after he gives you the stupid "prove yourself!" mission, so I didn't even know you could buy a locator. Now I think this whole mission was just BS and he was trying to shake you down to make some money on the side (Oh, General Caraway wanted you to go to this maze. I just so happen to have a map and DLC locator... but it'll cost ya!).

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
I love how funky the town theme is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Actually this part does seem really stupid in light of what's about to happen.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

SquarEnix

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Sworder posted:

The game doesn't actually care if you go into this place or not. The number is only ever 2 digits at most, so it's feasible to brute-force it if you wanted to skip the dungeon.

If you hard reset right before talking to the guy it rigs the RNG so the number is always the same too so you don't even have to go to the tomb.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I loved this dungeon because it is, you know, a dungeon, with a gimmick! It's not even that hard to wrap your head around it (or you can buy the locator or...), you get to explore and push buttons and there are TWO optional bosses! It's great stuff and what the game should consist of instead of overcomplicated pointless-rear end train minigames.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
They remind me of the Bash Brothers.

Jose&Mark

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nidoking posted:

I must have a really good sense of spatial awareness, because I never knew you could buy a locator and never had any problems navigating the maze, given the map. Again, though, following either outer wall takes you to most of the important places, and going counter-clockwise brings you to them in a correct order. The center is a straight line in from the entrance.

I have a horrible sense of spatial awareness, so I never figured that place out without a guide. I think I wandered around lost for hours, wondering why I wasn't making any progress. I never bought the locator marker or figured out the camera was always centering itself behind me. That place is murder if you get lost easily... like I do.

Voting for MarioBros

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Name 'em SmashBros.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Name 'em SmashBros.
This.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The secret to that dungeon is:
- Turn right at every junction and do everything in the required rooms
- Once you exit the dungeon, walk back in, go straight, boss fight, get GF, walk straight back out

....SquarEnix.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Sqeenix for the GF.

Looking forward to the next few updates! The plot proper goes to the shitter soon, be good to see your take on it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I loved this dungeon because it is, you know, a dungeon, with a gimmick! It's not even that hard to wrap your head around it (or you can buy the locator or...), you get to explore and push buttons and there are TWO optional bosses! It's great stuff and what the game should consist of instead of overcomplicated pointless-rear end train minigames.

The other reason it works really well? It's reasonably sized. Far, far too many gimmick/idea dungeons in RPGs are ruined by overstaying their welcome and going on too long. If the maze was twice as complicated, people would loving HATE this place, rather than the generally positive reaction.

That said, it's patently absurd that they test you. I mean, Squall and company are the only people available and it's clearly a time-sensitive mission. What is Caraway going to do if you would have said "No, we're fully qualified mercenaries and will not be doing some stupid test for you."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

The other reason it works really well? It's reasonably sized. Far, far too many gimmick/idea dungeons in RPGs are ruined by overstaying their welcome and going on too long. If the maze was twice as complicated, people would loving HATE this place, rather than the generally positive reaction.

That said, it's patently absurd that they test you. I mean, Squall and company are the only people available and it's clearly a time-sensitive mission. What is Caraway going to do if you would have said "No, we're fully qualified mercenaries and will not be doing some stupid test for you."

Especially when that test is essentially "hey, run down the street and find out when the grocery store closes. Thanks."

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Okay, voting's closed, and the Brothers will be called SquarEnix.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-Seven: Caraway

Having found out that the other student was #6, it's time to drive back to Deling City (in reverse the entire way).

Squall managed to turn it around in time to actually return the car, at least.

All I have to do is report back to the guard and then we're in to see Caraway.

Before that, I decided to re-enact the cover of Abbey Road in the street. The one bus stopped for Squall, but the other plowed through Zell.

:rip:

Let's get this on the road.

For some reason, they chose this annoying menu style for entering a number. It's not a big deal, of course, but it's a fuckin' weird thing to do.

Caraway's Guard: That's correct! Please, right this way.

And with that, Caraway's Guard walks off the screen and disappears forever. I didn't even show his last line.

General Caraway has a pretty swanky place.

: (...No point in me thinking about it. 'SeeDs aren't meant to question why.')

Squall, being himself, disregards any misgivings he may have about this mission.

Ehh, just go with the flow.

I get the sense that this room is not actually the first room of the house, and the game just cuts out a bit of travel.

I did not immediately get the sense that I had control of Squall. I thought the game had glitched.

Very eloquent, Zell.

SeeDs hate waiting.

Like, half the curriculum at Garden is "complaining about waiting".

Irvine will not talk to me.

Fun fact: I thought the computer on the desk was some sort of weird half-wall.

Irvine will not talk even if you manage to get behind the desk. I don't know why.

Oh, and we can't leave.

Always? Do you have many audiences with high-ranking Galbadians?

: I'm gonna go complain.

Complain to fuckin' who? Is it even a good idea for Rinoa to be here?

: Everyone just wait here.

As I said, I can't leave.

Rinoa can, though.

Oh, and BY THE WAY.

: So don't worry.

What, don't worry that the leader of a resistance is the daughter of the general hiring mercenaries to commit what I'm going to assume will be considered treason? Hadn't crossed my mind.

This is the part that Squall feels inquisitive about.

First, let's ask if it's an order:

: Your contract hasn't expired yet. That was an order, right?
: Order...? More like a... Ahh, whatever. Just don't leave me here, ok?

Squall just waves it off. What a pro. :allears:

How could it possibly.

If we take a different tack, though...

This is a pretty good question, to be honest.

: Umm... I don't know. Just treat this like an order from your client, ok?

I don't think Rinoa really expects anything that bad to happen to her. I think she's more worried about running into Caraway.

Squall doesn't ask, though.

And we're back here.

That is a good question. Our circumstances have changed immensely, and we're still not being told much.

Before we can wonder, though, this gentleman shows up. General Caraway, I presume.

This is true, and having Rinoa on the mission could screw things up.

General Caraway: It's for the best that she stays out of this operation.
: So you're Rinoa's father?
General Caraway: I can't remember the last time she called me that.

: That's bad... Really BAD!

It seems like the person it would be worst for is Caraway. Still #2 to the whole "plot to kill a major diplomat" thing, though.

General Caraway: Yes, indeed. It's a serious problem.

The father-daughter spat may not be our concern right now, but we're still under contract, so it might become our concern very soon.

General Caraway: Besides, we have far more important things to worry about.

: (Garden's directive and Rinoa's orders have the same value to us.)

: I don't know what your situation is, but please don't interfere when the time comes.

Holy poo poo, Squall's actually doing some leading.

General Caraway: And if I do?
: (What's his problem?)

Translation: if Caraway tries to stop us from taking his daughter with us after the mission, we will kill him. This is the real reason that Rinoa is a problem for him.

: We're here to knock off the sorceress, right?

I hate to say it, but Irvine is right. Our interests probably don't line up with Caraway's all the way, but we're here on business.

Let's.

And let's put on some music while we "set the stage":

Tensions are running a little high at the moment.

We're all pros, though.

This next bit takes place during a walking tour of Deling City.

Squall obviously finds something interesting about the sorceress's name.

...Stand by for what?

Yeah? And what if we wait somewhere else, huh?

Squall helpfully recaps for us here. This is not a useful line.

Explains why we couldn't get through the gate earlier, I guess.

General Caraway: Once the ceremony ends, a parade for the sorceress will begin. That's when the gate will open. Lay low until then. The parade may be canceled if there is any commotion. We must avoid that at all cost.

Try not to start any riots before we pop the sorceress. Got it.

General Caraway: With the parade drawing the crowd and the guards' attention, it should be rather easy to move about.

Okay, but where are we going?

The roof that we can definitely 100% see from the ground?

Can you spot the hatch in this picture? If you can, congratulations, you're better at this than I am.

Can you spot the sniper rifle in this picture? I seriously have difficulties finding things during this one part of the game in particular. The cause is unknown.

It's called a "float".

For this next part, Caraway is running around pretending to be the float, which is kind of silly for a man in his position. I also have control of the party, so they're kind of chasing him around like the world's least appropriate game of tag.

Thanks for explaining how a circle works, man. It was touch-and-go for a second.

It fuckin' would. Classic sorceress.

What, away from the Presidential Residence?

I'll bet you a hundred bucks their job has something to do with the arch.

Haha, suckers. Now you all owe me a hundred bucks.

General Caraway: The sorceress will be trapped inside the gateway.

Except for the gateway and the fact that the float will be facing away from us unless the sorceress also insists on driving in reverse.

Uh, do we have a way to get out after we kill a major diplomat?

Not gonna address that, huh?

General Caraway: Stay out of trouble.
: (Who do you think we are? ...We're not like your daughter.)

Squall means this as "we're professionals" but I like to think Caraway's hearing "we will cut you in half if you try and stop your daughter from leaving your house."

You know, it's already dark out in Deling City. I wonder what time it is.

While we're here, we can check out the little control room in the gateway.

Upstairs, there's the little terminal that controls the gate.

And the window. Great view.

Nobody in the city has anything new to say.

So let's just head back to Caraway's place.

I say we make Zell the sniper. They'll never expect it.

General Caraway: The sniper and the leader of this operation will form the sniper team. The leader's role is vital.

He means it's important.

Irvine waves off Caraway's comment about missing, but he does it while the dialogue box is on-screen, so enjoy that ugly-rear end shot.

Why doesn't the gateway team attack? They'll be right there.

People really fuckin' hate the sorceress.

"We will kill the sorceress if we have to burn down the entire city, I swear to god."

Everyone just sort of looks at Squall.

It still takes him a minute, though. He doesn't want to lead.

General Caraway: Fine. I'll leave the rest up to you.
: (...The sniper team is decided.)

Couldn't pick a better pair.

Gee, what a mystery. I wonder who it'll be.

Don't get too excited, there, Zell.

: So who's gonna be the leader for the gateway team?

Zell, realising a serious decision is about to be made, starts shadowboxing.

It's a persuasive argument, but Squall isn't swayed.

There was really only ever one option.

Zell is still bummed about it. Hey, maybe if you yell out that we're from Garden again this time, he'll let you lead next time.

: Ok! Leave it to me.
General Caraway: Ok. Let's begin.

And so, everyone files out to begin the mission.

Uh, except Quistis, who stands there staring blankly into space.

Spoiler alert: I'm Quistis, and the game doesn't really indicate that. Well, let's get to that assassination!

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 31, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Buckle in for stupidity, full on!

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

: (...No point in me thinking about it. 'SeeDs aren't meant to question why.')

This is sort of an interesting theme in the early parts of this game. As soldiers, it's not their job to question duties, even if they are whack. And Squall and have gotten a lot of questionable orders so far.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If I recall right, Irvine sort of jumps over the desk from where he's sitting when he tries to put everyone back on track. It's kinda neat.

Looking forward to the next part.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

ZevGun posted:

This is sort of an interesting theme in the early parts of this game. As soldiers, it's not their job to question duties, even if they are whack. And Squall and have gotten a lot of questionable orders so far.

Like murdering a drat all powerful witch, who can transcend states of matter? If that's even what she did when Seifer tried to off the president.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Silegna posted:

Like murdering a drat all powerful witch, who can transcend states of matter? If that's even what she did when Seifer tried to off the president.

Their first assignment 'help this really crappy resistance group achieve their goals' was a bad. Offing all an powerful witch is just icing on the poo poo missions cake they don't even have a fork to eat.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

"If the sniper misses, it will be the job of the Sniper Team that's a mile away, on the roof, in a heavily guarded residence, to get down to ground level and through a massive panicked parade crowd and kill the sorceress. It's vitally important that the Gate Team, who is literally five unobstructed feet from the sorceress, stare off into space and try not to drool too much. Also, we need at least three trained professionals to pull this lever here."

Also, I know the game is going for the "soldier just following orders" angle, but I just can't stand all the times really really bizarre and wrong poo poo is happening and Squall (and everyone else) just goes "no reason to think about it! :downs:" It's so much easier to write a plot when all of the characters are completely brainless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Like such a bad plan, who ever made this game... I could go on about storyline.

1. Haha Yes the float is facing the wrong way from where the sniper team will be
and
2. You want to drop the gates and alert her before shooting. I am sure modern day snipers get there spotter to blind their target by alerting them with a laser dot!

Even as a kid I thought this plan was stupid and even the hey we have a sniper so its cool was its only saving grace in my 13 year old brain!

:allears: for when the plan goes down though!

• Locked thread