Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Oh man Grendel.

There is definitely some wish-fulfillment self-insertion going on in early Grendel stories with Hunter Rose, but as time goes on (e: and the series moves to Dark Horse) the story becomes more and more about the Grendel identity as a sort of totemic archetype and bounces from genre to genre with surprising ease; it was one of the first things I read that felt really "meta" even before I'd encountered that term. Good poo poo. Gorgeous, too.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I have an opportunity to combine my interest in comics with an assignment for my Spanish class since we're allowed some freedom for the topic of a paper we have to write. I'm looking for some (preferably Spanish-language) comics on the subject of Hispanic culture and history, but I'm not very familiar with the Latin American comics industry, so which books should I look into?

I've got Redrawing the Nation already and plan on reading Gilbert Hernandez's Palomar part of Love & Rockets. I'm also aware of the Mafalda comic strip and looked at some collections for it on Amazon, but have no clue where to really start there. Is anyone familiar with that and could they help me get oriented? Should I ask about that in the comic strip thread? What else should I be reading? Are Jaime's Locas stories also worth reading (as part of preparing for this assignment, not in general; I already know the answer to that question)? I'm not strictly confined to Latin America, so any Spanish comics or books from other parts of the world are also welcome recommendations. Bonus points for books that touch upon the political and historical themes of the twentieth century that concern Spanish-speaking countries.

I should also mention that titles available with digital editions or from Amazon with prime shipping would be preferred in order to make the process of hunting down and acquiring these comics easier.
Mafalda was a serialized comic strip, but it doesn't really have any sort of story arc where you'd be lost, it's mainly about this little girl who seems eerily attuned to the political and socio-economic landscape. It's aso very, very funny. You could also search for other books by the same author, Quino. He did a lot of editorial cartoons dealing with many of the same issues (but in a more direct and sometimes more harsh manner than in Mafalda.) He's truly one of the best latin-american cartoonist.

By itself, a lot of South-American cartoons, unless they are decidedly for little kids, are political mainly because the artist/cartoonist generally stand on the left of the political spectrum, add to that the mass of right-leaning coups during the 50's - 80's, the big chasm between classes and the disparity of wages you can see why.

By how (at least here in Chile) cartoons and strips ran in specialized or humor magazines, not in individual comics and how most (if not all) of 'em don't have digital archives (I mean, most of 'em stopped circulating during the 70's). I believe it would be very hard to try and buy them online or even find 'em. If you want I could try and look around some museums here and/or put you in contact with some people who might know more about it.

Locas deals with the LA latino/chicano experience while the Palomar stories are more about the little towns of magical realism tales and central american hamlets.

The more preeminent spanish strip is, I believe, Condorito (this could totally be my national pride talking), which can be found translated into english, but try to find the older ones, done by Pepo (the original author) from a few years before his death. The new ones are poo poo.

Most of the (newer and more interesting) comics in latin america are done by independent publishing houses.

Recommended comics
- El Eternauta
- Mampato
- Mafalda
- Condorito
- Anarko
- Cazador
- Barrabases
- Books by Maliki Cuatro Ojos (Maliki Four Eyes, some of her autobiographical comics have been published and translated in english)
- Mortadelo y Filemon

Honestly, for more current stuff, look for south american writers and artist working for DC, Marvel, Image or Dark Horse and see what they made in their native countries. Look for things by a pre-100 bullets Eduardo Rizzo or Fabio Moon and Gabriel Bá, Nelson Daniel also did some original work before work as a colorist.

You said you were looking for stuff focusing on the political side, and there are loving tons, but I was never interested in that stuff so I don't know about the more overt works by other artists. Specially non-chilean ones.

And books by Jodorowsky (Metabarons, Incal, etc) kinda, sorta count, but not really, since he's latin-american, but I believe his work is hella european. Same with Blacksad (both authors are Spanish, but the book is published in France).

Vincent fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 20, 2015

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

This isn't really a factual wiki style question, but more of an opinion one. How many of you guys remember Comico from the 80s?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comico
(warning D-class article)

I remember being obsessed with the Next Man (McKenzie/Argondezzi) comic series, because Comico's distribution was so bad I could only get 3 out of the 5 issues and had no idea what had happened in between. My brother bought Grendel and Mage but I thought they were lame as a kid. I didn't know what a mary sue was at that time but that's what Grendel felt like to me, though maybe I was wrong since Wagner has a pretty good reputation and I haven't read them since.

Comico also had Willingham, Hempel, Rude, Baron, and Steve Fuckin Purcell of Sam and Max fame. Am I just old or does anyone else remember these?

It's funny you mention how weirdly Comico comics were distributed; I only ever remember seeing a couple of them at this one supermarket when I was a kid that also, for some reason, had what my memory assures me was the entire complement of NOW Comics titles stocked on the newsstand as well.

Comico's Gumby specials are fuckin' great.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Mage v1 is good comics that everyone should read, v2 didn't resonate as strongly with me when I read it, but is still pretty fun, and v3 is a myth. It will never come out, no matter how much I want it to. Matt Wagner could hand deliver my copy to prove that it is a real thing, and I would remain skeptical.

Never got to read much Elementals, but it always looked cool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vincent posted:

Fabio Moon and Gabriel Bá

I was going to say this, but realized they're Brazilian and their work is in Portuguese. Probably not ideal for a Spanish class...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Uthor posted:

I was going to say this, but realized they're Brazilian and their work is in Portuguese. Probably not ideal for a Spanish class...
:doh: You're right. I was going by Latin American themes and forgot that little "detail".

Still, read Daytripper, yo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching The Flash, what is Central City meant to be a stand in for?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
St. Louis, probably.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Somewhere in the midwest" is about as close as you'll get, but the comics have placed it in MIssouri, adjacent to Keystone City in Kansas, so it's more like Kansas City than St. Louis.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Kind of like how St. Louis, MO is adjacent to East St. Louis, Illinois?

I'd like to change my answer to a generic "Missouri".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inkspot posted:

Kind of like how St. Louis, MO is adjacent to East St. Louis, Illinois?

I'd like to change my answer to a generic "Missouri".

Closer to Kansas City, MO being next to Kansas City, KA.

Edit: Of course since they're both shot in Vancouver, I like whoever it was' idea that Keystone city is Vancouver by day and Central City is Vancouver by night. Like how Metropolis and Gotham can represent 2 sides of New York, only more low rent.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 23, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Everywhere is Vancouver.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Scaramouche posted:

This isn't really a factual wiki style question, but more of an opinion one. How many of you guys remember Comico from the 80s?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comico
(warning D-class article)

I remember being obsessed with the Next Man (McKenzie/Argondezzi) comic series, because Comico's distribution was so bad I could only get 3 out of the 5 issues and had no idea what had happened in between. My brother bought Grendel and Mage but I thought they were lame as a kid. I didn't know what a mary sue was at that time but that's what Grendel felt like to me, though maybe I was wrong since Wagner has a pretty good reputation and I haven't read them since.

Comico also had Willingham, Hempel, Rude, Baron, and Steve Fuckin Purcell of Sam and Max fame. Am I just old or does anyone else remember these?

If you can track them down, I highly recommend Comico's two Gumby issues from the late 80s - Gumby's Summer Fun Special, by Bob "Flaming Carrot" Burden and Art Adams and Gumby's Winter Fun Special, by Steve "Sam and Max" Purcell and Art Adams.

Summer Fun:

Winter Fun:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
But seriously, why can't they pin all these cities firmly to a state? It's not like the ambiguity is a running gag like in The Simpsons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Because no one writing the books cares.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The good DC cities are as archetypical as their heroes, giving them specific states messes with the mystique because you know what that state is specifically like. It's enough to that Metropolis and Gotham are on the East Coast, Keystone City and Fawcett City are in the Midwest, Coast City is on the West Coast, and so on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gotham City is explicitly in New Jersey in most continuities I thought.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Gotham City is explicitly in New Jersey in most continuities I thought.

Yeah, that's generally where it's agreed upon, but just like Metropolis and the others, writers really go out of their way to never mention a specific state and keep it as vague as possible.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know if I would call that "mystique".

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I thought in the current continuity Gotham & Metropolis were both on the East Coast, with New York being a midpoint between the two.

I also thought that Keystone/Central City was an amalgam of several different Pennsylvania cities (PA being the Keystone State) but I can't remember what gave me that idea anymore.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

qntm posted:

But seriously, why can't they pin all these cities firmly to a state? It's not like the ambiguity is a running gag like in The Simpsons.

Because, from the point of view of the people writing the stories, what does firmly establishing the city's location get them? How does that let them tell better stories than the ambiguity does? When it's not pinned down, when Metropolis (for instance) can be (almost) anywhere, then they don't have to give a poo poo about local geography or demographics or local government. They can write a story about the Metropolis Town Council without anyone writing letters about how Town Councils don't exist in this state; they can have Braniac technology turn half the city super high-tech without anyone bitching about how it turns out they only up-teched neighborhoods that are majority white; they can have a giant earthquake that swallows half the city and turns it into Escape From New York without having to give a poo poo about whether that makes any actual, you know, sense.

In essence, the ambiguity of location gives the creators more leeway at the expense of a certain degree of 'plausibility;' while Marvel's always gone the slightly-more-plausible route but then had to pay attention to real-world geography and architecture, with occasionally unfortunate results (see: 'which bridge did Gwen Stacy fall from, again...?'). People who care enough to go looking will find out that Gotham is in New Jersey, but setting that in stone in present continuity doesn't really get them anything worth having.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the whole of the lead up to Secret Wars contained within Hickman's Avengers or is it all over the place?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is the whole of the lead up to Secret Wars contained within Hickman's Avengers
Yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I think I may have broken the thread.

e: fixed

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Looking at my copy of Fantastic Four 72, how many times has Jack Kirby drawn Spider-Man beyond a one or two page cameo?

I guess I could ask the same about Daredevil which the above issue is a continuation of where Doom swapped bodies with him in DD's book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Die Laughing posted:

Looking at my copy of Fantastic Four 72, how many times has Jack Kirby drawn Spider-Man beyond a one or two page cameo?

I guess I could ask the same about Daredevil which the above issue is a continuation of where Doom swapped bodies with him in DD's book.

Very rarely, to my knowledge. He constantly drew the way he uses his webs wrong, too, which led to art fixes/replacements some of the few times he did draw him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least while Kirby was doing the Fourth World stuff incl. 'Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen', other people were re-drawing his Superman and Jimmy Olsen faces to be more on-model.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 25, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Didn't Kirby draw the cover of Amazing Fantasy 15?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I felt like this didn't quite belong in the recommendations thread because I know the quality of the actual comics is good, but is the artist edition of Mr.Miracle from IDW worth the moolah? How are those in general?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Kirby draw the cover of Amazing Fantasy 15?

With Ditko inks, yeah.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Anyone know what the deal is with Nowhere Men? I read the vol 1 trade but it looks like no other issues have come out and there's no info on when/if they will.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Artist Nate Bellgarde wrote a long thing about what the delay is with Nowhere Men! Meanwhile Eric Stepheson's writing They're Not Like Us, which people like but is a bit too poorly paced for my liking/wallet. Lovely art mind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Expounding on my question from yesterday: How many Avengers titles are there currently and how many of them deal with the lead up to Secret Wars?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Expounding on my question from yesterday: How many Avengers titles are there currently and how many of them deal with the lead up to Secret Wars?
Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are the only two dealing with Secret Wars setup.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are the only two dealing with Secret Wars setup.

Avenger's World is also a tie in

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All three are still running?

I'm asking because I'm going to catch up as far as I can on Unlimited and then get the issues on Comixology until I'm up to date, and I don't want to miss stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Avenger's World is also a tie in
I was about to type more :)

World has some highly inessential stories that fill in some details nobody was clamoring for during the time period A/NA skipped over (Namor acts creepy, buying AIM was hard, etc.).

zoux posted:

All three are still running?

A/NA runs up right to Secret Wars, as it's all one story.

Avengers 43 - 4/1
Avengers 44 - 4/15
New Avengers 33 - 4/22
Secret Wars 0 (FCBD) - 5/2
Secret Wars 1 - 5/6

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 25, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

I was about to type more :)

World has some highly inessential stories that fill in some details nobody was clamoring for during the time period A/NA skipped over (Namor acts creepy, buying AIM was hard, etc.).

A/NA runs up right to Secret Wars, as it's all one story.

Cool. I guess during this time Spiderman is dealing with Spiderverse poo poo and X-men are doing their own thing as always.

So in the Avenger's ongoing solos are they just ignoring incursions or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Cool. I guess during this time Spiderman is dealing with Spiderverse poo poo and X-men are doing their own thing as always.

So in the Avenger's ongoing solos are they just ignoring incursions or what?

Yeah they are dealing with their own poo poo, and then when they get a beep they go deal with them.