Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, I swear I could hear everyone in this forum get hard at the end of that video.

Let me pre-face this by saying this - That actually has a pretty nice sound for a small car. Certainly much better than your typical fart-can Honda.

Now that I've said that, I think I've become that grouchy old man that all the kids hate. I love the fact that the ST doesn't make any drat noise at all, so I can just cruise down the highway and enjoy my music without turning it up to stupid volume, and I don't have to worry about whether I'm annoying my neighbors coming and going, or that cop I happen to drive past while I'm goosing it.

If I had some sort of a weekend only classic muscle car, it would need to make noise, but for a single car that also happens to be my daily driver? Give me quiet every single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

A few months ago a guy at work crashed his brand new focus st messing around on an onramp in the snow. After a month it was repaired and he said it never felt the same. Then he traded it for a brand new mazda six, installed an exhaust and intake, then traded that in about a month later for a GLI (with British plates for some reason)

He's kind of a douche.

Just imagine how much he got hosed on those trade ins and that he probably financed 40k for that GLI.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2017-ford-fiesta-rs/

I am for this, but at the same time curious if and when Ford is going to over saturate there performance line-ups.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Am I bad if I'd kind of like to see a C-Max ST or RS?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ilkhan posted:

Transit Connect ST. :getin:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ilkhan posted:

How about an S-Max ST?

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 17, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

[quote="ilkhan" post="442834884"]
Am I bad if I'd kind of like to see a C-Max ST or RS

Would.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 17, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I want the performance hybrid hatchback aspect. :)

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2017-ford-fiesta-rs/

I am for this, but at the same time curious if and when Ford is going to over saturate there performance line-ups.

This is fine. I'd like to get an RS and not pay fairy-dust unicorn Subaru STI markups.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I hope you don't have a very slightly bent transaxle. That happened to me once, and it only got worse the more I drove.

I hope it's not this I doubt it though very low speed curb hit. I'm going to throw my factory wheels back on and see if that helps, have the tie rods replaced and go from there. I am also bad at financial decisions, I really want a 2015 Mustang but the math doesn't work out right now for me and I've always been a hatchback/wagon person I like to be smug about fitting junk in my car (plus the FiST is hilarious fun on the back roads)
e: I would drive the crap out of a transit ST/RS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

smooth jazz posted:

How about an S-Max ST?

The proportions just look all wrong on this. What size is this car?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

The proportions just look all wrong on this. What size is this car?

You've never seen a C-Max? They are like a subcompact minivan.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

You've never seen a C-Max? They are like a subcompact minivan.

Nope. I live in the land of the Subaru.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'd buy the gently caress out of a new Mondeo ST. There's something about huge family land barges with stupid performance that just hits the spot.

They'd have to get rid of the stupid floating central console though, that thing is ugly.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Also, vent time, three car-less weeks after I was told my new FoST was crated up and ready to go and I'd definitely have it by the weekend, the dealer has finally caved and admitted they have no idea when it'll be delivered. I'm not mad, I know new cars take time to sort out, but if it was going to take x number of weeks they should have just told me at the beginning. I'd already agreed to buy the car, why bullshit me on the delivery date?

The best excuse I've been given is that Ford UK are too busy delivering Fiestas to bother with anything else. gently caress Fiestas, I've paid a lot more than them, how about you ship my car first? You don't see airlines bumping people out of First because they've run out of space in Economy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yea, if those loving proles wanted consideration they should have bootstrapped their way into a Focus.

Pissy unwarranted entitlement is always funny but god drat son that post is a barrel of lol

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 4, 2020

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Yea, if those loving proles wanted consideration they should have bootstrapped their way into a Focus.

Pissy unwarranted entitlement is always funny but god drat son that post is a barrel of lol
Lol what? This is the dealer saying "welp, looks like Ford are bumping everything back so they can ship in more Fiestas!", not me expecting to jump the queue because of my awesome diamond-encrusted Focus. It's (apparently) me getting my delivery pushed back here. If they were giving my place to some guy buying a tricked-out £50k Mustang it makes sense because Ford get more money quicker, but why push orders back for more Fiestas? Just let everyone keep their place.

This is all academic because I'm pretty sure the dealer is just making up lies to cover for making a dumb promise he had no hope of keeping, but thanks for your input, I guess.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Extra posted:

It is not controversial to state or even have laws enforcing the right of a consumer to not be lied to by a major multinational corporation.

Before buying the ZX3 I was trolling around for SVT Contours (American version of the Mondeo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nltSfdWORA :getin:

haha, that video reminds me of a friend who was racing up in canada and captured this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLVuw4cHjA

go to 0:45

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Installed new Mountune sport springs in the FiST today. Overall the ride is smoother, I understand this is due to them being progressive as opposed to linear like the factory springs. Install took about 5 hours with some breaks in between and the rears were stupid easy. Jack it up, take out two bolts, drop the rear torsion bar, pull the springs out by hand, put in the new ones, bolt it back up. Harbor freight $14 spring compressor set was easily worth the money. Thanks to Way2Slow for his assistance and the use of his tools!

Passenger side out:

Spring compressed and removed:

Strut sans spring:

New hotness:

Installation onto strut:

Back in the car:

Front drop, -1.1" (+dirty as gently caress wheels and bald tires, she's getting a bath tomorrow and new shoes next weekend):

Rear drop, -.8":

This was a good learning experience as it was my first time installing new springs. After they settle for a week or two I'm taking it in for alignment. A++ would recommend.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Focus ST is already low enough to be a bit of a pain on the speed bumps in the work parking lot, I don't think I'd want to lower it even if that wouldn't destroy the car's classing in autocross (which is actually something I care about and considered when purchasing the car, I understand that it doesn't matter to most people).

Was there a specific reason for the spring change? If I didn't care about auto-x classing, I still think the first suspension 'mod' I would make would be double-adjustable shocks. Having the DA's on the M3 has forever wrecked me, as the ability to completely change the handling characteristics of the car in a matter of 60 seconds is amazing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

US/north-american spec Focus RS is official.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/25/ford-focus-rs-new-york/

It pretty much looks like what we saw a month ago. But its official so it must be worth a post on every possible car blog.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is that a new body style or does the current Focus have that low of a butt? Seems like you give up a lot of visibility and space by dropping the roof like that in the rear.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

ilkhan posted:

US/north-american spec Focus RS is official.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/25/ford-focus-rs-new-york/

It pretty much looks like what we saw a month ago. But its official so it must be worth a post on every possible car blog.

Wonder when I can put in an order.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
If you drive fast enough, you don't need to know what's behind you.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How's the gearbox on the new focuses? Maybe I'm just spoiled now by the miata but my 07 focus had the longest freaking throw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Maybe I'm just spoiled now by the miata

The Miata's gearbox will literally spoil you on any other stick ever. The only one I've driven any real distance that was close to my NB is the current-gen Mazda3. My MS3's shifter was honestly kinda poo poo.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
A $60 short shifter plate and some $40 bushings are DIY installable on the Focus ST and basically perfect its shifting experience, according to the internet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

How's the gearbox on the new focuses? Maybe I'm just spoiled now by the miata but my 07 focus had the longest freaking throw

I can't speak to the 'normal' Focus manual, but the ST is just fine. It's better than my M3 was IMO, although I have a tendency to forget I have that 6th gear, since it's the first 6 speed manual I've ever owned.

The short throw kit would probably be awesome, but since I play in the SCCA I can't do that without loving up my classing. But yea, the Gertrag is pretty good in the ST I think.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Locator posted:

I can't speak to the 'normal' Focus manual, but the ST is just fine. It's better than my M3 was IMO, although I have a tendency to forget I have that 6th gear, since it's the first 6 speed manual I've ever owned.

The short throw kit would probably be awesome, but since I play in the SCCA I can't do that without loving up my classing. But yea, the Gertrag is pretty good in the ST I think.

I came from a Miata but I'd agree that it's decent.

The throw is long, the Cobb plate certainly helps.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Locator posted:

The short throw kit would probably be awesome, but since I play in the SCCA I can't do that without loving up my classing.

Is that really the case? An ergonomic mod would really change your class?

Edit: just looked it up. It puts you in street prepared. While race tires keep you in stock. Ridiculous.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 27, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Oh for pete's sake, I'm on "The List" for a Focus RS.

The folks at the dealership seem to think it will start ~38,000 CAD; in line with the current rumors that the thing will be STI money.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Miata's gearbox will literally spoil you on any other stick ever. The only one I've driven any real distance that was close to my NB is the current-gen Mazda3. My MS3's shifter was honestly kinda poo poo.

I will put the BRZ's gearbox up against the Miata's.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Calidus posted:

No way. I've driven both and it isn't comparable.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Miata and S2K are the best two i've used.
FiST gearbox is pretty smooth and a lot better but fairly similar to my old '02 focus.
God drat I miss my Miata.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Is that really the case? An ergonomic mod would really change your class?

Edit: just looked it up. It puts you in street prepared. While race tires keep you in stock. Ridiculous.

Race tires went away in stock classes last year. They are no longer "G-Stock", they are "G-Street" - still GS. But yea, in the SCCA if the rules don't say you *can* do something, then you can't. They do have a comfort and convenience clause, but you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that a kit that changes the actual throw of the shifter is C&C. You could do a shifter mod that put 'stops' in when there weren't any to protect shift forks (like the old SN-95 Mustangs), etc., but nothing that really changes functionality.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The Locator posted:

Race tires went away in stock classes last year. They are no longer "G-Stock", they are "G-Street" - still GS. But yea, in the SCCA if the rules don't say you *can* do something, then you can't. They do have a comfort and convenience clause, but you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that a kit that changes the actual throw of the shifter is C&C. You could do a shifter mod that put 'stops' in when there weren't any to protect shift forks (like the old SN-95 Mustangs), etc., but nothing that really changes functionality.
Pardon me for veering off-topic a little, but I'm a dumb idiot who likes to post and I'm curious about why manufacturers build gearboxes with longer throws in the first place. Would you care to explain this to me like I'm a person who never learned how to drive stick?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The shorter the throws are the notchier, clunkier, and easier to miss shift for the average inattentive driver.

Unless it was designed like that from the get go (the amount of people wanting to replicate Miata shifter feel in non-miatas is pretty staggering, myself included).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Okay, I think I'm getting you correctly--long throws are more foolproof but ultimately result in slower shifting, which is glossed over by most makers in the name of practicality when drivers aren't pushing the envelope.

also must learn manual on Miata, got that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Calidus posted:

Shifter by playskool. Not even in the same league. No feedback, imperceptible gating. The NC 6 speed is so notchy and mechanical I swear I can see in my mind's eye the synchros and dogs doing their thing in each shift, it's perfection. Except when it's cold, then it's the car's main way of telling you you're an idiot for daily driving a miata.