Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bass Bottles posted:

Sarcasm doesn't really count as saying things you don't believe in because your actual beliefs are still implicitly being stated. I can't see John Oliver ever making a joke that implies the militarization of police is a good thing.

This is part of the outrage at Noah that I find most perplexing: it almost seems premised on the assumption that there's no way to know what his actual views are, or what his comedy as the Daily Show host will be like. But there is - he's done a lot of standup between 2011 and today. It's not hard to find, and it makes it pretty clear that his comedy isn't going to be like those several-years-old tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have always wondered if international comedians get this much scrutiny. Before he was announced as Stewart's replacement no-one gave a gently caress about Noah's 5 year old tweets, even when he was announced as a correspondent. Is there some group in England who gets angry every time an English comedian tells a fat joke? Or a sexist joke told by a Brazilian comedian? What about a racist joke by a Norwegian?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What does the thread think about the time Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear looked at a bridge with an asian guy crossing it and said "That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it"?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its funny. Good word play for an off-the-cuff joke.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dolash posted:

What does the thread think about the time Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear looked at a bridge with an asian guy crossing it and said "That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it"?

I think I'm not crying many tears over the guy getting sacked, because he's a tool.

Madkal posted:

Is there some group in England who gets angry every time an English comedian tells a fat joke?

As evidenced by how much poo poo the BBC caught over [any_Frankie_Boyle_joke.txt] when he was a regular on Mock The Week, yeah.

Edit: Dara O'Briain on this sort of thing.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 2, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Majorian posted:

This is part of the outrage at Noah that I find most perplexing: it almost seems premised on the assumption that there's no way to know what his actual views are, or what his comedy as the Daily Show host will be like. But there is - he's done a lot of standup between 2011 and today. It's not hard to find, and it makes it pretty clear that his comedy isn't going to be like those several-years-old tweets.

Sorry, I actually agree with you that it's unfair to hold those old tweets against him. But they aren't just "jokes that didn't land" or whatever some people are saying. If he were still making jokes like that I would be unhappy about him being the new host of TDS. But you're right, they're old, he has clearly evolved as a comedian and a person, and he has a very powerful background that should give him a unique and fresh viewpoint into American politics. I think he's an exciting choice.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
For context on the audience for which those tweets were intended, the NYTimes has a good article on the comedy scene in South Africa and the prevailing views of offensiveness here: link.

David Kau hosts a popular stand up show called "Blacks Only", which he starts off like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlDmJ89IZuo (No better video unfortunately.)

Madkal posted:

I have always wondered if international comedians get this much scrutiny. Before he was announced as Stewart's replacement no-one gave a gently caress about Noah's 5 year old tweets, even when he was announced as a correspondent. Is there some group in England who gets angry every time an English comedian tells a fat joke? Or a sexist joke told by a Brazilian comedian? What about a racist joke by a Norwegian?
Couple of years ago there was a lot of hullabaloo about Reginald D Hunter, an African American comedian, using the N word on stage at a Footballer's Association Awards show. The PFA had gotten into a bit of trouble for footballers being racists, see, so they were all handed lists with no-no words on them and then when Hunter said one of them the footballers were forced to consider the issue of racism with a bit more nuance, which is a terrible effort. I can only imagine that's what offended them, because it certainly wouldn't have been racism itself.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Patton has legions of fans, lots of money, and essentially a megaphone for their responses. These tumblr types have tumblr blogs. If these comedians are so concerned about free speech, why is "shutting up" these critics so important?

Because while he does, random comedian trying to make it loving doesn't you stooge.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I promise this will not be an INTERNET ATHEIST post. These posts of Trevor's have received little or no press attention. I also think it's notable that they aren't jokes.

I'm an atheist but I'm also used to these kinds of statements being totally OK in our society. Fine. What troubles me as a fan of TDS and TCR is how mind-bogglingly dumb these are. If I'd given you these blind and said a celebrity said them, you'd probably guess Larry the Cable Guy or some idiot country western singer. This is the kind of stuff you see fundamentalist Christians put on bumper stickers. Holy poo poo.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Madkal posted:

Before he was announced as Stewart's replacement, nobody gave a gently caress about him.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Can't wait until 10-20 years from now when we have to disband the executive branch because they can't find anyone who hasn't posted dumb poo poo on the internet at some point or another.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

For the record (as if anyone cares), I don't think he should lose his job over any of this stuff. It's worrying to me because of what it might bode for the quality of the show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those jokes are at least as old as the jew and fat chick jokes, so I imagine they can be answered with the same "he's since evolved" argument as those.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I promise this will not be an INTERNET ATHEIST post. These posts of Trevor's have received little or no press attention. I also think it's notable that they aren't jokes.

I'm an atheist but I'm also used to these kinds of statements being totally OK in our society. Fine. What troubles me as a fan of TDS and TCR is how mind-bogglingly dumb these are. If I'd given you these blind and said a celebrity said them, you'd probably guess Larry the Cable Guy or some idiot country western singer. This is the kind of stuff you see fundamentalist Christians put on bumper stickers. Holy poo poo.

Yep, a scripted comedy show with a team of writers is going to fall off a cliff because the host is religious.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Is this a bit?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People are asking "who are these people who are offended?" as if it's some sort of abstract question.

Buzzfeed's business editor made this an issue, and I guarantee you it's not a matter of him "being offended".

Having "a conversation" about this issue without acknowledging that feels like you're playing someone else's game.

On the plus side, if some mildly dumb tweets is the best takedown people can come up with regarding Noah after all this scrutiny; I'm not worried about Noah's comedic viewpoint.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the weirdest thing is that people act like Noah is an unknown and all we have to look at is these four year old tweets.

Go watch his stand up special African American. Its a drat fine way to spend an hour.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

JohnSherman posted:

Yep, a scripted comedy show with a team of writers is going to fall off a cliff because the host is religious.

That's not what I said. It has nothing to do with him being religious; Colbert teaches Sunday school for Christ's sake. If I got pissy about every media figure who was religious, I'd not have much to watch or hear. The issue is that his opinions are/were so loving dumb. I welcome intelligent opposing opinions. Stewart said poo poo I disagreed with regularly, but there was usually evidence that he had put thought into his opinion. The stuff in those tweets is sub-O'Reilly level.

Unbelievable.
VVVVVVVVVVV

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 3, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Please stop breaking the promise you made.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

You are aware that Colbert is a devoutly religious catholic right? Like he teaches sunday school and poo poo. I don't recall that ever coloring the show at all. Yeah the tweets are profoundly dumb, but it's loving twitter, being dumb is basically all it does.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
As someone who fervently believes in nothing, I am deeply offended.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

IRQ posted:

You are aware that Colbert is a devoutly religious catholic right? Like he teaches sunday school and poo poo. I don't recall that ever coloring the show at all. Yeah the tweets are profoundly dumb, but it's loving twitter, being dumb is basically all it does.

Read my post again, and those that followed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
That seems like a misreading of his jokes' intent. He's saying that the militant-atheist types behave in ways similar to the religious types they criticize. "we all need a god" is not "we all need the christian god"; he's saying that they have just substituted it with these atheist luminaries.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Four years is long enough he could be an atheist himself now. Calm your tits.

His "without god there would be no atheists" is pretty bad, on the level of "how me a dog learn English," but the religious haven't understanded atheism for THOUSANDS of years.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

His "without god there would be no atheists" is pretty bad, on the level of "how me a dog learn English,"

This! I don't give a crap that he's religious!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And I suppose it's totally impossible that he meant "God created athiests" which considering he's Christian is something that he earnestly believed?

Surely not. Instead we have to get indignant over things that happened on the internet four years ago.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's kind of ironic that the guy is taking over a show that often digs up poo poo from four years ago to throw in people's faces, then.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cabbit posted:

It's kind of ironic that the guy is taking over a show that often digs up poo poo from four years ago to throw in people's faces, then.

I think the major difference is that the show isn't widely credited with being the government of a major country.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I read it as more of a philosophical statement - without the concept of God there would be no atheism, any more than people flock around the absence of a second sun or whatever. But either way, it's not exactly worth boycotting the show over.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Strobe posted:

And I suppose it's totally impossible that he meant "God created athiests" which considering he's Christian is something that he earnestly believed?

It's very funny next to his musings on Satan, when as an atheist, if you've realized the bible is fiction and heaven is mythical, Satan and hell just naturally follow suit. No mental activity or considering needed.

in_cahoots posted:

I read it as more of a philosophical statement - without the concept of God there would be no atheism, any more than people flock around the absence of a second sun or whatever. But either way, it's not exactly worth boycotting the show over.

That is an interesting read, but doesn't really add depth to his comment.

Without (a tyrannical religious structure sculpting societies for ages) there is no (lame attempt to counter religious claims, "militant atheism" indeed)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm most concerned that he feels atheists aren't doing enough to show they don't believe in Satan. We aren't living in a Zoroastrian country where the existence of Angra Mainyu isn't intrinsically linked to the existence of Ahura Mazda. If there's no god, then it pretty clearly follows there's no Satan. It's really a very weak argument from both a theological as well as a simple logic standpoint.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I feel like he was just making a dumb joke with that one.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

I feel like he was just making a dumb joke with that one.

I feel like he was only making dumb jokes the entire time and this entire conversation (nationally, not here) is pointless.

But any chance to preach the word of no lord!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm honestly more worried we'll get another Larry Wilmore situation and Noah ends up having no real depth to his satire and it ends up just being surface-level jokes the whole time. I think John Oliver raised the bar, and even Stewart has been getting sharper and deeper with his jabs lately.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I'm honestly more worried we'll get another Larry Wilmore situation and Noah ends up having no real depth to his satire and it ends up just being surface-level jokes the whole time. I think John Oliver raised the bar, and even Stewart has been getting sharper and deeper with his jabs lately.

If you've seen any of his comedy you know that's not going to be the case.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

someone posted:

Coulda saved a lot of time if you'd just picked out whatever weak stuff instead of yelling about a subject you were obviously riled about if you don't want to talk about that.

Hey look, a video of Trevor hosting something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJSlk5WtiBg

Also everyone should be listening to the Daily Show Podcast. I've only listened to the most recent few but they're great, especially the new Jason Jones one.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait for the show to start again. Eventually everyone is going to forget this whole thing ever happened.

Majorian posted:

Given Salon's bizarre grudge against him, can you blame him for this?
Sorry but i don't give a poo poo about clickbait websites that start outrage over stupid topics

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could take any five minute clip of African American and it'd have more satirical weight than anything Wilmore has done with the nightly show.

Not going to lie, I do miss Colbert's ability to nail Catholics to the cross (sorry) while at the same time also taking the piss out of douchey atheists.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I could take any five minute clip of African American and it'd have more satirical weight than anything Wilmore has done with the nightly show.

Not going to lie, I do miss Colbert's ability to nail Catholics to the cross (sorry) while at the same time also taking the piss out of douchey atheists.

Before the show aired, I thought Larry was a pretty good choice, based on his appearances on TDS. At least Noah has the structure of TDS and a good team of writers already in place so there are less chances of him sucking like Larry on The Nightly Show.

Also, atheists being pissed off by those tweets makes me like him more, one of the reasons I'm not religious is to avoid being pissed off by silly stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

radlum posted:

Before the show aired, I thought Larry was a pretty good choice, based on his appearance

You could have just stopped there.

• Locked thread