Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

can't wait to bring Cthulhu into ur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Ouroborus posted:

They didn't specifically say it was a calamity for us. "If that Enkidel guy goes beyond Ur the paperwork will take a thousand lifetimes to complete!"

Also we could rules lawyer this by declaring everything we explore to be part of Ur. Edit: have some of our men go first and declare it part of Ur, then we never actually leave Ur.

Actually, we can't rules lawyer this, because it's clearly defined what's the land of Ur. We don't got the authority to declare new lands because we're not badass enough.

I'm really sorry about this!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
On one hand, I'm cautious and would rather see the Orm.

On the other, I want to see what happens when we take the role of "bah, what do the melachim know! We're blooded and obviously know better!" *we return to the ruins of the city we left abandoned, everyone we left behind dead* "Who could have seen that coming?!"

Just be aware that the last time we saw someone ignore a melachim warning, which is what we're planning to do, they died and had their city conquered by someone else.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I did a hand count. For the love of El, if you change your vote, say what it was and what you changed it to.

Thia vote is a mess.

A-Trip is still on. 24 votes.
B-Trip is off. 18 votes.
C. 9 votes. 4 votes to go to the Orm. 1 to go to the mountains of Fare. 1 to eat Geb.1 to go pray. Misc blanks or other single votes.

I have no idea how to count C. Due to Goons threatening to murder each other and/or me over past revotes, we added a new rule, that we wont generally revote on things unless circumstances change in a big way.

This vote is on whether you are going or not. Not where you go next. I am count any vote of "Go Do X Adventure instead" as a write in vote, which will need a s simple majority to win. I don't imagine any option like that will win at this point, but it might.

Question 2 is closed. Tricky to read but I am interpreting the outcome as not asking anyone. We have a handful of votes to talk to Ishamal or others, less Ds and a majority of abstentions on the vote. The no-votes and Ds blow E away by a hefty amount. A votes with no vote for question 2 should probably count aa Ds?

If anyone wants to do their own count, go for it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 13, 2015

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

This right here is a classic Melachim style warning, poo poo does not end well for guys that ignore those.

1:B. It's not as if there isn't plenty of Ur to explore, we never did go north to take a look at Seir.
2:E. "What do you think of this prophecy?" can join "Who is my father?" and "Why can't I poop?" on the list of dumb questions we ask everybody we meet.

e: Question. Are the Kadmonim lands considered part of Ur?
Missed this one by mistake, sorry. The Kadmonim are outside of Ur.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
C'mon everyone, let's vote for A. Even Ishamal said to go for it. Ishamal!

Let's go visit some giants and possibly get into some adventure.

Go big or go stay home.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
In this case, changing my vote from C to B. I'd rather not ignore the warning of dire doom!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Paradise Lost: Do ye want to live forever?

For those that want to play Harvest Moon,:tutbutt:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 13, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's a real shame we're not voting to talk to anybody at all whatsoever about this, because when a pretty clear message in keeping with the standard Melachim MO warning about either personal death or doom to all we love is met by an almost-majority voting "No, gently caress YOU, I do what I want no matter how dangerous you say it is and anyways nothing can be worse than listening to you wet blankets anyways," that's kind of a giant red flag that some communications tactics need to be changed before Enkidel snaps entirely. Or at least it would be, if anyone knew about it.

Anyways, since voting to cancel the trip doesn't imply not going on any trips whatsoever, changing my vote from 1. C to 1 B.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Farming Simulator.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Throwing my support behind asking Ish about the prophesy.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hey there are plenty of fun things we can do besides just sit at home and farm though!

We can go talk about pots some more, discuss waterwheels with Lefkandi, go ask a serpent a bunch of questions he won't answer for reasons, copy/paste all the sights we saw on our first trip to Baitel for pilgrimage round two, talk about how cute Snarls is for fifty more pages, we could go throw the heretics in the river for being different; we could even just spin in circles for years until the next major invasion occurs!

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Task Manager posted:

Hey there are plenty of fun things we can do besides just sit at home and farm though!

We can go talk about pots some more, discuss waterwheels with Lefkandi, go ask a serpent a bunch of questions he won't answer for reasons, copy/paste all the sights we saw on our first trip to Baitel for pilgrimage round two, talk about how cute Snarls is for fifty more pages, we could go throw the heretics in the river for being different; we could even just spin in circles for years until the next major invasion occurs!

I don't know, I think the waterwheels are going to be a pretty big deal that could flip this culture upside down.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
B

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

B for now, I want to talk to Ish.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
1. B Also ask Ishamel.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

I don't know, I think the waterwheels are going to be a pretty big deal that could flip this culture upside down.

It's just not exciting though. Well, I guess it may be exciting to some - and if we were simply playing a CYOA where we were just a regular dude living in a bronze age society that type of revelation would be game changing and very exciting - but we are a super buff muscle wizard and whenever we try to go do super cool adventuring muscle wizard stuff we get told to stay in our little box and not do anything.

We as a group seem to be in agreement we need to do something to try and prepare for the next attack - but when we try to go do something about it our superiors shut us down. Which leaves us with the overwhelming feeling of us just being delegated to twiddling our thumbs and busying ourselves with nonsense until the next calamity.

Edit: since I'm being overly critical at the moment I should add - I'm largely frustrated that we have managed to back ourselves into a corner, rather than upset with the story in general. Through our choices we have become a badass who is beholden to powers that don't want us to do anything badass unless they specifically request it for their own benefit. It's maddening.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2015

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
A. You're all so trusting and risk-averse.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Task Manager posted:

It's just not exciting though. Well, I guess it may be exciting to some - and if we were simply playing a CYOA where we were just a regular dude living in a bronze age society that type of revelation would be game changing and very exciting - but we are a super buff muscle wizard and whenever we try to go do super cool adventuring muscle wizard stuff we get told to stay in our little box and not do anything.

We as a group seem to be in agreement we need to do something to try and prepare for the next attack - but when we try to go do something about it our superiors shut us down. Which leaves us with the overwhelming feeling of us just being delegated to twiddling our thumbs and busying ourselves with nonsense until the next calamity.

How do you know it wont be exciting??

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Task Manager posted:

We as a group seem to be in agreement we need to do something to try and prepare for the next attack - but when we try to go do something about it our superiors shut us down. Which leaves us with the overwhelming feeling of us just being delegated to twiddling our thumbs and busy I ourselves until the next calamity.

I pretty much agree. And I feel like there are two ways to read the warning.

1. "There's stuff outside of Ur that's looking to gently caress you -- Enkidel -- up. Cross the magic boundary line, and it's game on for it to follow you back to Ur."
2. "If you leave Ur, we're not going to let you back in."

#1 seems kind of plausible. Ish has hinted that the lands of Zepa are governed by some special set of rules. Maybe our leaving would break some treaty or another. Of course, if that's true, Ish was free to share details at some point in the last several decades. And we could always just not walk directly back to Ur.

A few decades of being a Wandering Hero sound a hell of a lot more productive (and interesting) than more time twiddling our thumbs in Kadovel and enforcing rulings about livestock husbandry.

#2 is also possible. Maybe this time they'll give us a Free Will (tm) choice between letting them steal our kidneys or having them ensure that we never see our family again. But in that case, gently caress those guys.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

How do you know it wont be exciting??

It could be! I am sure a decent number will be excitied about it. I'm just one of the people whose eyes glaze over when we get too heavy into Sim City Light though, and discussing the finer points of production in regards to our economy and the impact a waterwheel may have and how crop yields have increased tenfold just makes me zone out.

Like I said, if it was a game just about small town life in a regular society I would be thrilled. Having us be a muscle wizard who can break the world but we just want to stay home and discuss innovations in technology is maddening to me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Task Manager posted:

Edit: since I'm being overly critical at the moment I should add - I'm largely frustrated that we have managed to back ourselves into a corner, rather than upset with the story in general. Through our choices we have become a badass who is beholden to powers that don't want us to do anything badass unless they specifically request it for their own benefit. It's maddening.

I definitely feel the same way. I'll admit that occasionally Diogenes rewards us for doing things that are totally gonzo (putting our finger back on and screaming incoherently at anyone who disagreed comes to mind...) but there's enough times where we're told "If you do X, Y will happen", we do X, Y happens, and then we're all upset about it. Seeing as how we were pretty explicitly told "Don't leave Ur" by an angelic janitor when we got blasted out of Ibleam, I'm going to assume that this is a pretty direct and accurate warning.

There's still plenty of adventuring to do within Ur, but the limitations we're getting just don't jibe with the really wide open feeling we're otherwise getting. I'm totally down with Sim Citying, but I also want to be Muscle Wizarding.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
1. B

But yes talk to Ish.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Voting B is essentially a vote to never leave Ur, since when will we be safe from this calamity? Maybe when we're older. Right. This rules out the mountains of Fare, Kadmonim lands, and Athar. Seems like too much to give up. Even if poo poo hits the fan this game will still be excellent.

Remember another time we thought we were getting divine messages and it ended up being a demon? Right before we almost died and most of our body was burnt away.

I'm adding 2) Talk to Ishamel because I think it's the only thing that might give us a chance against the B vote winning. It's a choose your own adventure game. Let's give Diog the opportunity to write some rad calamity updates.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Ughhhhhhhhh.

Voting B. Ignoring these assholes usually has terrible consequences but I'm really sick of their bullshit overall.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
So this is going to be the next "hold your breath/charge the lightning bolt" moment. I'm excited. I just hope we can keep team hunger from breaking our no magic vow when the calamity Og was clearly warned about shows up.

Oh, yea, A. That's the one where we ignore divine guidance right? That's the one I want.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bularin posted:

So this is going to be the next "hold your breath/charge the lightning bolt" moment. I'm excited. I just hope we can keep team hunger from breaking our no magic vow when the calamity Og was clearly warned about shows up.

Better vote A then!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

B

The Melachim can be dick-heads, but there's no reason to believe they aren't giving us a genuine warning. If we leave it'll probably mess with the weird ownership things that are currently protecting us, or perhaps shielding us from the eyes of foes etc.

Sucks to cancel the trip to the giants, but it's not like there's not plenty of badass poo poo within Ur we can go fight instead.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

1. B

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

FoxTerrier posted:

Sucks to cancel the trip to the giants, but it's not like there's not plenty of badass poo poo within Ur we can go fight instead.

This wasn't about fighting bad-rear end things. I wanted to see what was going on in the world outside of our zone of knowledge. Apparently there's some giant plan to destroy Ur. The Bainamokt coordinated with the fish-men to attack on the Jubilee. Demons capable of killing Kings are showing up. I'd liked to have spoken to a race of intelligent beings outside of Ur and gain some clue as to what is going on. I don't want to waste time playing the mud, raising cattle, or beating up monsters. We did that already. We spent hundred of pages playing city-manager, and finally the thread voted to do something useful, and we're told to gently caress off.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Ish is just going to say something like "Listen to the melachim boy. Don't think you have more wisdom etc. etc. I won't interpret anything for you now gently caress off"

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
As players, I think there are two options as to play this game.

A) Play to live as long as we can, and acquire 'points'.

B) Play to make the story as interesting as possible.

That said, the thing that frustrates me is that the entire world seems designed to prevent us from doing/learning things. We know that ignoring messages from people claiming to have word from God/El/melach/whatever leads to disaster so obviously we can't do that.

The whole 'Oh you have free will, but if you will be punished if you do anything we don't tell you to. Also we won't be clear about things and will make is as inconvenient as possible.' schtick is getting old.

My vote is still B, trip off.

Cornuto posted:

This wasn't about fighting bad-rear end things. I wanted to see what was going on in the world outside of our zone of knowledge. Apparently there's some giant plan to destroy Ur. The Bainamokt coordinated with the fish-men to attack on the Jubilee. Demons capable of killing Kings are showing up. I'd liked to have spoken to a race of intelligent beings outside of Ur and gain some clue as to what is going on. I don't want to waste time playing the mud, raising cattle, or beating up monsters. We did that already. We spent hundred of pages playing city-manager, and finally the thread voted to do something useful, and we're told to gently caress off.

This is how I feel.

Can we find a mighty neurosurgeon and ask him to lobotomize us? Obviously it's against the rules to do anything interesting, lets just sit in our magistrates chair and stare vacantly at the horizon until Uriah smothers us with our favorite cushion.

I wonder what the Melachem response would be if we turned away everyone who came to us with a message before they could tell us, or just straight up murdered them. The Ur equivalent of tearing up a letter before you open it.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 13, 2015

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
B
E Ishmael

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Tomn posted:

It's a real shame we're not voting to talk to anybody at all whatsoever about this, because when a pretty clear message in keeping with the standard Melachim MO warning about either personal death or doom to all we love is met by an almost-majority voting "No, gently caress YOU, I do what I want no matter how dangerous you say it is and anyways nothing can be worse than listening to you wet blankets anyways," that's kind of a giant red flag that some communications tactics need to be changed before Enkidel snaps entirely. Or at least it would be, if anyone knew about it.

Then vote A.

The cryptic non-communication has been going on decades of game time, and years of real world time. Here's a basically identical complaint from ages ago:

Tomn posted:

But beyond that, again, this is the biggest goddamn thing to ever shake down in all of Ur since Labaras came down from the mountain, and we've been through things that are almost unbelievable. This is not a normal situation, and these are not normal circumstances, and if Ishamal thinks we're going to maintain faith in the face of that without at least SOME answers, he's beyond crazy. I remind you, again, that Mt. Har was FLICKERING - Ibleam could have just been an upscaled monster attack, but everything about Tanaach was above and beyond anything that went before by an order of magnitude.

The trouble is that the from Ishmael / Melachim's perspective, the cryptic non-communication is working just fine. We might grumble, but we've always given in.

Why should they change a perfectly successful tactic?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cornuto posted:

We spent hundred of pages playing city-manager, and finally the thread voted to do something useful, and we're told to gently caress off.

Question: Let's suppose the Melachim aren't kidding and there IS something out there beyond Ur that will either destroy us or destroy the Balls, nearly kill us, and follow us back to Ur to do something terrible to Zepath (plague, monsters, demons, whatever). Under those circumstances, how useful exactly would the expedition to the giants be weighed against the terrible poo poo that will go down? How much money is a bag of diamonds worth if it requires jumping headfirst into a pool of lava to get at it?

Come to think of it, I think we're looking at this the wrong way. We're seeing this as "Oh, poop, the Melachim are stopping us from doing cool things AGAIN." But looked another way, it's a staff officer telling Winston Churchill "Sir, I think maybe we should rethink this Gallipoli thing, new intel indicates that it's going to be nearly impossible to pull off right now." It's not a prohibition - it's a WARNING. Hell, for all we know the late response of the Melachim warning might simply be that whatever was going to get at us only recently realized we were headed out and began making plans to take advantage of our departure/arrival.

Yes, the Melachim sometimes stop us from doing things we want to do. But reality does the same thing from time to time. Do we intend to make an enemy of reality because it won't give way to our desires? Are the Melachim to blame if they relay the facts on the ground?

This assumes of course that you think the Melachim ARE relaying the facts on the ground. If you think they're all lying to keep us ignorant and whatnot, well, that's your right. Just be aware that you'd be staking an awful lot on the possibility that they're lying outright.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

In the event B wins, which is still unclear but it seems to have momentum, can you give me some input on how you plan to break this to your men? It will be probably very disappointing, so I need some input on how you tell them to model their reactions. Just say the trip is off, no details? Changed your mind? Decided Kavodel defenses came first? Had a dream? Giants killed some of you last time and you don't want to risk it? Your not actually going to tell them you received divine(?) guidance, are you?

Everseen
Apr 27, 2010
B

I'm not fond of taking all of our experienced Balls for away for a year, seems like a bad idea.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

In the event B wins, which is still unclear but it seems to have momentum, can you give me some input on how you plan to break this to your men? It will be probably very disappointing, so I need some input on how you tell them to model their reactions. Just say the trip is off, no details? Changed your mind? Decided Kavodel defenses came first? Had a dream? Giants killed some of you last time and you don't want to risk it? Your not actually going to tell them you received divine(?) guidance, are you?

Yes we are. If the messenger is going to be this cryptic, and so bone headed as to wait until a few days before we set off then they have to accept that actions have consequences. If we take the blame for cancelling the mission then they learn nothing.

gently caress em. "We received a message not to make this expedition. Sorry men, but a higher power than me has told me not to go."

We then act all disappointed for a few days and then announce another expedition to somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Diogines posted:

"We saw a bad omen and our lucky knife pointed away from the giants; let's follow Snarl's nose and find monsters to gently caress up in Ur. It'll be more fun that way."

While we have to cancel the trip to the giants, I don't get the sense that goons want to cancel adventure entirely. I think we all want to do SOMETHING, even those of us voting B, even if it's something within Ur. So...console the dudes with alternate plan?