Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Hezzy posted:

welp apparently some twat killed the t-rex before it was tamed

Identify the suspect and show him or her how it feels to be clubbered with a stone hatchet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

nightwisher posted:

It does make you wonder what hardware they had it running on.

Or more likely it was a canned sequence that wasn't recorded in realtime to eliminate any possible jerkiness.

They've said it was run on a 980, but it was several months ago before they added a lot of the systems that are causing so much lag now. I'd find you a quote but :effort:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Where can I find the coordinates for where I am? I've been dicking around on a pve server for a short stint just to get an idea of all the systems and mechanics. That involved me even building a little home. However, there isn't a creature anywhere nearby so I was hoping to place a marker saying "home is here", but I don't see the option.

Other than that, I'm starting to get a pretty good grasp and will be trying to visit gooncamp when I get up later.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

nightwisher posted:

i5 3550 @ 3.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 and a 7850 2GB old rear end videocard, i get 30-50fps with everyone on medium except high textures and low shadows, all the SSAO stuff turned off at 1440x900. Turned the sky quality and ground clutter all the way down. Still looks decent and runs well though it bogs down around jurassic ark when there's a tonne of people around. It needs SERIOUS optimisation but quite frankly I'd rather have an EA game with a lot of already implemented gameplay and poo poo performance than vice versa. Optimising is easier than desperately trying to implement your pie in the sky game design fantasies into your 17kb ultra-tuned engine.

Even with the resolution that low I'm still getting 10-20 fps with a much more updated rig than yours. I'm not gonna lose my mind at these guys, but it's really frustrating because I want to play dinosaurs.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Even with the resolution that low I'm still getting 10-20 fps with a much more updated rig than yours. I'm not gonna lose my mind at these guys, but it's really frustrating because I want to play dinosaurs.

Yeah it's really erratic and if I had to say one thing was the worst aspect of the game so far is just how pooly it runs and how rubberband-y it feels playing online. They said it's going to be a year before it hits release, so waiting a bit for performance to improve would be the better idea for people on the fence about jumping in right now. I spent over an hour trying to get my game to want to connect to any server today after it hard-locked my PC.

If you can tolerate bad performance and netcode, it's great fun. But the technical issues really interfere with playing to the point it's crippling at times.

BARF
Oct 7, 2006

Later Tater.
RIP 1994 Toyota Supra. Died in the line of duty when we raided the KHAOS TRIBE. I'll always remember you.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Must have died about 8 times this morning trying to get to the gooncamp, either killed by bird/sabertooth/randomscarydino or PVP. Gave up until some goons are on to point me in the right direction.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Mumble's in op, do not post it in plain text outside or in the thread

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Can someone PM me a pic of the map with a little dot where gooncamp is? I ran around for an hour yesterday with my dino mount trying to find it but no luck :( I thought I was in the right area but hell if I know!

Edit:

patch notes for upcoming patch it looks like:

Added code now for flyers to not follow you into water, and land creatures to have a depth limit they're willing to follow you to :)

Adjusted various Quality Group graphics settings to increase performance on each tier.

You can now properly apply the ARK Founders' Parasaur Saddle Skin, to the Parasaur Saddle :)

Increased the length of time for dead player bodies/inventories to decompose, to 20 minutes

You can now whitelist specific SteamID's that will always be granted access to your server, even when it's full (typically used for admins to get in).

Console key can now be rebinded through the Options Menu

All Host Game options are now visible in the in-game launch menu (which also affects singleplayer), as well as saved in INI for easy access

Fixed an issue where sometimes no servers would return

Server Player counts should finally be fixed in-game

Downloading ARK Data Characters into other Servers will no longer lose them

You can now rebind the Arrow Keys properly (strafe, turn, whatever you want)

On your server, you can now use 'cheat' or 'admincheat' to cheat after logging in as and admin. "cheat broadcast MessageString" will now let you broadcast a server message to everyone on your server (which also force displays the chat).

Note that you can also set a Message-Of-The-Day here:
[MessageOfTheDay]
Message=Hello and welcome to my ARK Server! :-D

Added an option to hide the Server Name from your Pause Menu, so that streamers don't have to give away what server they're playing on.

Your last server filter settings now save and restore

Argentavis now has a very limited (60% reduced) targeting range for live creatures, but his targeting range for corpses has been boosted by 40%. So watch out if you've got a dead body around, you might want to get out of the way :) . In any case, this is more true to their real-world likely behavior and will make them grief less.

Your riding character now looks in the direction your camera is facing, along with your mount.

Fixed a silly enemy pathing case that would make them needlessly turn around a lot in tight confines.

Reduced default Dino following distance by 50%

You can now craft directly from within your pet's inventory

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 5, 2015

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Buddy and I made some clothes and spears. Spent an hour hunting other people. Killed them. Carved them up and cooked their meat. Seaside cannibals.

GOTY

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Found a cave on the southern part of the east coast, around the 84x 68y region, but gently caress if it isn't completely full of all kind of nasties. I'm talking 20-30+ scorpions, bats, and spiders, just in the early part of the tunnels. poo poo's big though. Really big. Goes on for a long way, and really far down. Tried to sprint through a few times without any luck.

Might be worth our while to establish a satellite outpost around or in caves we find to block other people from getting the sweet, sweet loot sure to be within.

queeb posted:

Can someone PM me a pic of the map with a little dot where gooncamp is? I ran around for an hour yesterday with my dino mount trying to find it but no luck :( I thought I was in the right area but hell if I know!
Don't have pms, but see below for details.
http://i.imgur.com/JR9HepI.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/EvlDdZw.jpg

Edit
If you're under level 10, just create a new survivor and set your spawn to the north shore. It's by far the closest.

nightwisher posted:

Hopefully the system will work by uploading a copy of your character to a centralised database and then data download enabled servers can pull the data from it. It is definitely a limiting factor.

Unfortunately it seems to destroy the original character at time of upload. So it's a one-time thing, you can't keep a "main" character on an official server and spin off copies whenever you want.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 5, 2015

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sushibandit posted:

Don't have pms, but see below for details.

drat, I was in totally the wrong area. Thanks a ton though, will make my way over there tonight!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
for those not in the know, pressing ~ and typing gamma 4 will make your need for torches suddenly vanish!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

nightwisher posted:

for those not in the know, pressing ~ and typing gamma 4 will make your need for torches suddenly vanish!

However, it does provide some heat.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

:911:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Any EU goons play this? I was on #40 today but it's laggy as poo poo :(

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
These anachronistic dinosaurs living together is RUINING my IMMERSION

Can't wait to be able to run this with some sort of frames per minute.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

JuffoWup posted:

Where can I find the coordinates for where I am? I've been dicking around on a pve server for a short stint just to get an idea of all the systems and mechanics. That involved me even building a little home. However, there isn't a creature anywhere nearby so I was hoping to place a marker saying "home is here", but I don't see the option.

Other than that, I'm starting to get a pretty good grasp and will be trying to visit gooncamp when I get up later.

Open the map and figure out where you are from landmarks, or die next to your bed.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

minchar posted:

I'm really not sure what to do with stuff like this. Early access games get poo poo on for coming out with no content constantly. Now we have one that comes out with lots of content but rear end for optimization, but that's not okay either. I mean what is early access for if not releasing their current build and getting feedback/iterating on that?

Literally nothing can ever be done right, which is why I found the lead dev's wild-eyed stare and gently caress-it-we'll-do-it-live attitude so appealing. He gets it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
SPOILER ALERT WOOP WOOP SPOILER ALERT!

So here is a link to a pic detailing apparently all the engrams currently in the game. Don't click it if you want to stay an ignorant savage!

https://imgur.com/CqeWrKI

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Any EU goons play this? I was on #40 today but it's laggy as poo poo :(

There's spells of lag. I was able to play last night for about 8 hours with no real problems other than things warping around when you're trying to stab them. I was playing using a phone tether too.

For goons trying to find the goonbase, you need to keep spawning in North Shore until you see this island:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455279264

This is taken from the east side of the delta. If you find that island, you're literally a minute or two away. Be careful though, as there are many other imposter islands. It has three jagged edges.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455279336

This is from the east side, looking towards where goonbase is. The river curves around and into this area;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455420337

Don't mind the T-Rex, they're pretty chill.

Welcome to... JURASSIC ARK!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455641400

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Strotski posted:

Mumble's in op, do not post it in plain text outside or in the thread

What channel are we using in Mumble or where can we get that info? I was on last night about 11p PST and couldn't find anyone.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

lilspooky posted:

SPOILER ALERT WOOP WOOP SPOILER ALERT!

So here is a link to a pic detailing apparently all the engrams currently in the game. Don't click it if you want to stay an ignorant savage!

https://imgur.com/CqeWrKI

It would be fun to cover beaches with turrets, as nothing untoward would come of it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I actually made it in the server whoopee! now i just need to explore this whole island to find you guys

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I made it into the compound and got nailed by some dude! Game is good, want to join the Goon town though.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Im hoping im still able to play this. Crashes on launch now. That and i cant yell in mumble since my PC decided i dont have a mic.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Trying to figure out why I keep dying after logging out in the goonhouse overnight/during the workday. Top off on food/water before I quit out each time. Is it just random game fuckery?

Also where the hell do you get metal from? About to have those tool engrams unlocked.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Metal apparently is a bitch to get, Theres a small chance it can be in regular rocks but there a high chance to collect metal from rocks in the montains, (yknow, where all the Trexs and Murderbirds are)

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So is it a bug, am I doing something wrong? Whenever I go swimming I notice that your stamina will not regenerate. I didn't notice this last night before this latest patch but maybe I just didn't go swimming that much. Also is it pretty buggy for anyone else when it comes to trying to keep your head above the surface to get O2 back?

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012

lilspooky posted:

So is it a bug, am I doing something wrong? Whenever I go swimming I notice that your stamina will not regenerate. I didn't notice this last night before this latest patch but maybe I just didn't go swimming that much. Also is it pretty buggy for anyone else when it comes to trying to keep your head above the surface to get O2 back?

Not a bug, you need to get out of the water to regen stamina back. Yes, keeping head above water is janky.
Meant to try to find our base last night but ran into some Norwegians and decided to mess with them for a bit. Will try to find the base tonight!

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ok good to know. So uh...how are you supposed to ever explore the ocean if you can't swim that far?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

lilspooky posted:

Ok good to know. So uh...how are you supposed to ever explore the ocean if you can't swim that far?

Tame a turtle or megalodon and saddle it.

It's looking like getting high-end stuff is going to require a serious team effort.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Managed to get the game working. Joined then spawned and then WHAP. Crashed. Anyone had this error before?

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Trying to figure out why I keep dying after logging out in the goonhouse overnight/during the workday. Top off on food/water before I quit out each time. Is it just random game fuckery?

Also where the hell do you get metal from? About to have those tool engrams unlocked.

Yes that is random game fuckery. Logged out players randomly die to environmental effects (starvation/thirst) despite their character stats staying at full water and food.

Metal is least common at the beach, more common on the mountains, and most common in the caves. You can also obtain it from dark rocks in/under rivers with an anklyosaur.

lilspooky posted:

Build a base on a Plesiosaur (yes this is literally a big swimming dino you can build on) and explore to your hearts content! Or at least until a tribe with megas comes and murders you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
im gonna play this and be the prehistoric mad max

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
As someone who is clueless on a lot of graphical settings are there any basic recommendations of things to do in the video options to improve things?

I take it turn down the sky detail. What exactly is Dynamic Tessellation? I looked it up and it's essentially smoothing out the polygons or something? How much of a hit does that give you?

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

All pve servers have been temporarily accidentially set to PvPvE.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038672878136/

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Has anyone figured out what berries correspond with what dinos when taming? So far they all seem to do the same, but people are swearing some like a specific berry more than others.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yikes, recent patches have reduced performance quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Prophecy120 posted:

Has anyone figured out what berries correspond with what dinos when taming? So far they all seem to do the same, but people are swearing some like a specific berry more than others.

Just put all the kinds in and it'll eat the one it likes most first