Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Are furries in the community ideologically homogenous usually? Are there opposing camps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Obdicut posted:

I think that when you stray away from the most basic of emotions, like the above, into stuff like 'restless' and 'playful', you're anthropomorphizing.

That's the point! Also it's fun. Like I said, some people are a little more aware than others. It usually starts with "do you like animals" and goes one of many ways from there.

Obdicut posted:

A wolf being lonely because there aren't other wolves around is not the same as the nerdy kid being lonely because he doesn't have any friends. They both might share a basic discomfort that they lack a social group, but humans can be lonely in the midst of a crowd, we can be happy and sad at the same time, etc. Given the immense difference in brain structure and other stuff, saying that there are universal 'feelings' doesn't ring at all true to me. I don't think we experience them in the same way animals do, and I don't think animals experience them in the same way as other animals; I think we project that onto them.

We've got different types of socialzation wiring, and projection is the point. But if you've had a lot of experience with ceratain animals you can at least understand them, and I think that's enough. As I said earlier it's dogs dogs dogs in the fandom and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that dogs are so ubiquitous and familiar to humans.

Obdicut posted:

As to the both helping and harming thing: I think compared to zero socialization, a clique is better, but that's compared to nothing. It is definitely not better than non-clique friendships where you don't have some artificial, exterior thing that bonds you together but actually just like each other despite being different and not having some common ground to cling onto. To me, there is a huge difference between socialization inside a medium--be it being a furry, or being on a sports team, or a magic group, or trainspotters--and socialization where it's just people liking each other with nothing acting to draw them together.

Well in the case of my crowds it's often a) you like creative animal themed stuff b) you like to party or c) both. I often see people that are there for the easy sex, the strict anthropomorphic sexualiuzation, or just that it's a thing they're into where they can meet other people in a place separate from their familiar environment. Getting away from familiar circles, family, school, etc. is a common motivation and was mine when I was early into it and that theme of "THIS IS A SPECIAL PLACE WHERE NORMAL RULES DONT APPLY" sorta self-deception is common.

Obdicut posted:

One of the harms of cliques is that they necessarily include people who, if you didn't have that common thing, you'd prefer to not socialize with, or even would vociferously reject.

Yep, but the fandom's so big now (and still growing and bizarro speeds) that it's so much less about a macro clique than micro cliques. If you're a sensible person there's a lot of different places you can fall into and be happy there because they're people you would be friends with otherwise. I've got more acquaintances literally world-wide than I ever thought I'd have, but I still produce really-close friends at a faster rate than I'd ever have expected. I make good friends from work and school and hobbies, but the sheer volume of people I've been exposed to has resulted in me meeting people I've really struck a mutual chord with and retained for years.

I work in airsoft, graduated in political geography, study conflict on the side and fanboy over Brown Moses wherever I go and ended up with a bunch of friends I talk conflict, exchange bad aloha-snackbar memes, throw politically themed parties that most folks don't really get, dick around in online games, go to punk concerts together, etc. If you're making it about finding your own kind of fun, you're doing it right. None of my political flavor friends have fursuits, but we all have an array of costumes from UN troops to communists to Rhodesians to WW1 bedouins to Saddam Hussein and so on. Further Confusion in San Jose has a communist party, a pirate party, a capitalist party and a klingon party as regular staples. All are run by furries but if you saw the people actually throwing the parties you wouldn't see any tails or ears.

It's a far cry from how I was in 2006 when I went to my first con, pushing past a armies of trench coats, tragic anime weeaboos, a trope of grievously overweight goth kids with tails, creepy almost-certainly-pedophiles and all other kinds of strange and wondered why I would consider myself part of this community (while still determined to associate with it, lacking satisfying social networks in high school.) In a desperate bid to find friends somewhere, anywhere, I let myself be awful.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Domus posted:

What's with the furry parade thing you're talking about? It seems really weird. Is the purpose to entertain non-furry people? Let people know about furries? Or just to garner attention? I super don't get it if you didn't make the fursuit or whatever yourself. What are you showing off, then? I've attended quite a few gaming cons, and even the art centered ones never really had anything like a parade, just a costume contest. And that con happens on or right before Halloween.

I think the technology in some of the suits sounds neat, though. Not the SPH part, but the moving jaws and such.

Whoops back to back posts. I've been loving actually getting to talk about this community to goons, but as my first swing at being active it's stressing me out lol. Thanks to Carmath for letting me contribute to this thread, hearing his stories of the UK scene is fascinating.

Parades are a common fixture at cons, it's basically the one big gently caress-you-huge fursuit meet of any given convention. It's a pretty big spectacle for people participating or not, but I usually don't attend because the legions of drooly mouthed people that line up along whatever selected route with their tripods and monopods and cameras and phones kinda weirds me out. It's also often utilized as the fursuit census, which is a point of pride for most conventions, but it's not always accurate because a lot of fursuiters don't regularly attend the parades.

I think it's just participation? My boyfriend made his own suit head, I know a lot of fursuit makers who are just crafty people and love 3D art, but also a number of people that bought suits. In the latter case it's just kind of a fun thing to have, albeit admittedly weird and niche. I've borrowed half suits at cons before (hands/tail/head only) usually because I'm drunk out of my mind and it sounds fun. For me it's fun as poo poo being anonymous, or being some weird cute critter, and posing for pictures. Also being a dick. You can be physically rude to anyone but if you can act cute at the same time (easy vs. furries when in suit) you can get away with anything. Alcohol and fursuits mesh well.

The tech is neat, people are always innovating. I've seen velcro eyebrows for adjustable emotions, holographic eyes, built in fans for AC, programmed \ motorized faces that emote and blink eyes, quadraped suits (that I still don't really get how they work,) glow in the dark fur, and other kinds of neat stuff. Though the most sought after work is getting that balance between a good looking face and visibility: some of the more detailed/realistic heads are like looking through two view ports angled at 45 degrees and tilted up. Some close friends of mine from Oregon (a couple that's half aspiring cinematic effects artist and half programmer) spent a whole year designing a ram cyborg and it's loving super awesome, with animated eyes, face and flaring nostrils on a programmable system.

They unveiled it at FC 2015 in January and immediately got offers from three people requesting suits from $5k to $20k (!!!) in value. They just finished putting their workshop together and are finally producing commissioned projects. http://kaiborgstudios.tumblr.com/

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So did you play space wolves in 40k?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

We've got different types of socialization wiring, and projection is the point. But if you've had a lot of experience with ceratain animals you can at least understand them, and I think that's enough. As I said earlier it's dogs dogs dogs in the fandom and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that dogs are so ubiquitous and familiar to humans.

No, you can't. You specifically can't understand them if you're projecting onto them. There's nothing morally wrong with it--I have cats and I do it to them--but it is definitely not actually understanding the animal as an animal. You're making them into something they're not. You're not understanding them.

quote:

Well in the case of my crowds it's often a) you like creative animal themed stuff b) you like to party or c) both. I often see people that are there for the easy sex, the strict anthropomorphic sexualiuzation, or just that it's a thing they're into where they can meet other people in a place separate from their familiar environment. Getting away from familiar circles, family, school, etc. is a common motivation and was mine when I was early into it and that theme of "THIS IS A SPECIAL PLACE WHERE NORMAL RULES DONT APPLY" sorta self-deception is common.

This didn't have anything to do with what I said.

quote:

Yep, but the fandom's so big now (and still growing and bizarro speeds) that it's so much less about a macro clique than micro cliques. If you're a sensible person there's a lot of different places you can fall into and be happy there because they're people you would be friends with otherwise. I've got more acquaintances literally world-wide than I ever thought I'd have, but I still produce really-close friends at a faster rate than I'd ever have expected. I make good friends from work and school and hobbies, but the sheer volume of people I've been exposed to has resulted in me meeting people I've really struck a mutual chord with and retained for years.

The point is that this sort of clique interaction forces the acceptance of people who are lovely, just because they're in the clique. It's worse than something like a softball team, because the only purpose of the Furry stuff is to socialize. If some dude on your softball team is actually a weird libertarian misogynist rear end in a top hat, it's pretty irrelevant to the main point of why you know him: playing softball. If some Furry dude is, you can't eject him from that social group, anyone who is a furry and isn't wildly, wildly misbehaving is allowed to come and socialize with the rest of you.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. You're acting as though i made a claim that you can't really make good friends through meeting people there, which isn't what I said at all.

quote:

I work in airsoft, graduated in political geography, study conflict on the side and fanboy over Brown Moses wherever I go and ended up with a bunch of friends I talk conflict, exchange bad aloha-snackbar memes, throw politically themed parties that most folks don't really get, dick around in online games, go to punk concerts together, etc. If you're making it about finding your own kind of fun, you're doing it right. None of my political flavor friends have fursuits, but we all have an array of costumes from UN troops to communists to Rhodesians to WW1 bedouins to Saddam Hussein and so on. Further Confusion in San Jose has a communist party, a pirate party, a capitalist party and a klingon party as regular staples. All are run by furries but if you saw the people actually throwing the parties you wouldn't see any tails or ears.

When i throw a party I invite people I like to it because I like them. That is the thing we share: we like each other. That's the point I'm trying to make: the 'themed' stuff is an artificial communality. Saying that furries also run different cliques is kinda just confirming what I'm saying.

Also, do you get why wearing the heads, making you anonymous-unless-someone-knows-you, also breaks socialization? Literally wearing a mask to socialize?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Have many popular furry artists quit the fandom over the years (and actually followed through with it)? What do furries think of ex-furries?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Big Willy Style posted:

So did you play space wolves in 40k?

Primarily chaos- I did have a space wolf army, but that was under second edition so it was literally 18 models for 1000pts. Also this was before I became a furry.

I did write some rules that would let me use Lion King figurines and poo poo in the game. Never really playtested them though. Oh, and I did write a Warhammer 40k/Lion King crossover fanfic when I was 17. It's probably still out on the internet someplace.

Obdicut posted:

Also, do you get why wearing the heads, making you anonymous-unless-someone-knows-you, also breaks socialization? Literally wearing a mask to socialize?

A big thing that I figured out durng my therapy is in fact, you're wearing a mask to socialize in furry even when you're not in costume. You present forwards a character under a pseudonym, so you can (if you're so inclined) project any character you want without exposing yourself to harm.

Rollofthedice posted:

Have many popular furry artists quit the fandom over the years (and actually followed through with it)? What do furries think of ex-furries?

Honestly, I couldn't say- I was never a massive art collector, so I don't keep track of their comings and goings. As for ex-furries, I don't think they're really thought of at all to be honest. Certainly, there's not any hatred for people who left, they just sort of fade out of the collective consciousness.

Edit: Holy poo poo, thread has gone gold! My first one in 11 years of goonery.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 13, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Camrath posted:

A big thing that I figured out durng my therapy is in fact, you're wearing a mask to socialize in furry even when you're not in costume. You present forwards a character under a pseudonym, so you can (if you're so inclined) project any character you want without exposing yourself to harm.

Good point. And this goes along with the clique thing, too--everyone is obeying a set of social rules that are way different from normal social interaction. This can make things fun--it's why halloween is cool--but halloween is not meant to be a main way people socialize, but to have fun by inverting social norms.

In a way it reminds me of the way some people approach Burning Man. I've got SF Bay Area tech friends who are bland dudes who basically just work and geek out on the internet, but at Burning Man they get super-social because it's explicitly divorced from their real lives and they can gently caress around socially without it having a real impact on them. This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it is when it's the main source of your socialization, and if you're well-socialized, you don't actually need it.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I guess I still don't quite understand what being a furry is, the real basics of the 'fandom'.

What is a fursona?

What do you do on furry meets? is it just a case of meeting up and drinking or is there 'furry' related activities?

(I've recently joined a cosplay meetup group, and I must admit after reading your thread I did take a step back to evaluate it in case I'd wandered into something horrendous, but the cosplay people I've met are all well adjusted guys and girls (besides one brony, but he seems ok) - indeed there are probably more girls than guys. We have monthly meet ups (in normal clothes) that are literally just meeting up, chatting geeky stuff and drinking, and then going to the London comic/anime/etc cons and hanging out. The cosplaying itself is entirely for fun and not everyone does it.)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

mediadave posted:

(I've recently joined a cosplay meetup group, and I must admit after reading your thread I did take a step back to evaluate it in case I'd wandered into something horrendous, but the cosplay people I've met are all well adjusted guys and girls (besides one brony, but he seems ok) - indeed there are probably more girls than guys. We have monthly meet ups (in normal clothes) that are literally just meeting up, chatting geeky stuff and drinking, and then going to the London comic/anime/etc cons and hanging out. The cosplaying itself is entirely for fun and not everyone does it.)

Serious question: If the meetups are just meeting up and chatting, why do you do it with this clique of cosplayers and not just with people in general?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

mediadave posted:

I guess I still don't quite understand what being a furry is, the real basics of the 'fandom'.

What is a fursona?

What do you do on furry meets? is it just a case of meeting up and drinking or is there 'furry' related activities?

A fursona is an animal character (usually anthopomoprhic but not exclusively so) that you use as basically your avatar within the fandom. I mentioned above how almost everyone use a pseudonym- the fursona is basically an extension of that. Some people take this more seriously than others; from people who use it just as a furry identity ranging to people who do give it spiritual significance, to those who genuinely believe they are their fursona inside (we call these people 'crazy'). Some people have multiple ones to represent different aspects of themselves. And sometimes people change them.

As for what happened at Londonfur meets (which while much larger than most, have also formed the basic model for all the major meets in the country)? Well, there'd always be an art-corner where people would either work on their own stuff or collaborate. There's the fursuit parade and general costuming around the venue for people. Plus a lot of people chatting, drinking, some play games, there's normally at least a few folk who are blatantly on the pull. :P

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Serious question: If the meetups are just meeting up and chatting, why do you do it with this clique of cosplayers and not just with people in general?

Well, I did want to cosplay, hence why I joined the group in the first place, and then I found that cosplayers (in this group at least) are just people in general, and people that I would want to meet up and drink with, and talk about things like genre fiction and making clothes (which I am interested in beyond cosplay, as are a lot of cosplayers).

EDIT: Also, how do you even go about meeting 'people in general'? It seems to me that most people meet and make friends (later in life, not because you're in the same class at school or grew up on the same street) through social groups based around an activity, whther that's a sport or hobby. I was and am into climbing - joined a climbing group at uni, made climbing buddies.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 13, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

mediadave posted:

Well, I did want to cosplay, hence why I joined the group in the first place, and then I found that cosplayers in this group at least) are just people in general, and people that I would want to meet up and drink with, and talk about things like genre fiction and making clothes (which I am interested in beyond cosplay, as are a lot of cosplayers).

Okay. Let me put it another way.

I go to a kickboxing class.There are some of the people in the kickboxing class I like and get along with and am interested in. So I invite them out to social stuff. Not the whole class. Likewise, I go to a meetup that's a book-club kind of thing. I like some of the people there. So I invite them out to social stuff. Not the whole book club. And when they do come out, we don't mostly talk about kickboxing or book club, but other stuff.

If your socialization with this group is still based around in-group stuff--genre fiction, making clothes--then I understand that you want to have a clique around that, but do you get that people talking to each other despite not sharing specific hobbies and interests in common is different? Like, taking an interest in what other people are interested in even though it doesn't do it for me? My wife's friends are mostly other scientists and med-school people. I'm not. I find it interesting to talk to them about their science stuff; they like to talk to me about the non-science stuff I know about and they don't.

I'm not saying that all in-group socialization is bad, but that, first of all, selectivity is not a bad thing--choosing to hang out with only some people, and not others, and not being forced to hang with everyone in a group because they are also into genre fiction/cosplay/kickboxing, and second of all, that hanging out with people and talking to them without a shared interest is a different, and I would say more valuable, if more difficult, form of socialization than hanging with people you share a hobby with?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Okay. Let me put it another way.

I go to a kickboxing class.There are some of the people in the kickboxing class I like and get along with and am interested in. So I invite them out to social stuff. Not the whole class. Likewise, I go to a meetup that's a book-club kind of thing. I like some of the people there. So I invite them out to social stuff. Not the whole book club. And when they do come out, we don't mostly talk about kickboxing or book club, but other stuff.

If your socialization with this group is still based around in-group stuff--genre fiction, making clothes--then I understand that you want to have a clique around that, but do you get that people talking to each other despite not sharing specific hobbies and interests in common is different? Like, taking an interest in what other people are interested in even though it doesn't do it for me? My wife's friends are mostly other scientists and med-school people. I'm not. I find it interesting to talk to them about their science stuff; they like to talk to me about the non-science stuff I know about and they don't.

I'm not saying that all in-group socialization is bad, but that, first of all, selectivity is not a bad thing--choosing to hang out with only some people, and not others, and not being forced to hang with everyone in a group because they are also into genre fiction/cosplay/kickboxing, and second of all, that hanging out with people and talking to them without a shared interest is a different, and I would say more valuable, if more difficult, form of socialization than hanging with people you share a hobby with?

Hey guy, it's a once a month meet up.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

mediadave posted:

Hey guy, it's a once a month meet up.

Yeah, that doesn't get to what I'm asking, but never mind, I guess you're either going to dodge what I'm actually asking or genuinely don't understand it and I can't put it any more clearly.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Being a furry sounds super boring and also really weird and creepy.

There was no furry mob justice done to the dog fuckers? I'd probably get violent if I knew someone was sexually abusing their pet and had the audacity to bring around their sex dog.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

boneration posted:

The whole furry subculture seems repulsive and cringeworthy. I mean at its most benign it's about pretending to be an animal, and probably more often about wanting to gently caress animals. How could you be part of that and somehow turn off your natural human tendency towards disgust at yourself and those around you? What moment-to-moment cognitive tricks did you engage in so you could look at yourself in a mirror and not want to die? How could you surround yourself with the kind of people in your pictures and not constantly think "I am making an error. I should be somewhere else."

e: also have you ever seen the inside of a fursuit under a black light.

Jizz doesn't show up under a black light without a reacting agent YOU DUMB loving SAD OF poo poo gently caress BAG OF STUPID RETARD BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, that doesn't get to what I'm asking, but never mind, I guess you're either going to dodge what I'm actually asking or genuinely don't understand it and I can't put it any more clearly.

Yeah, I'm not completely sue what you're saying tbh, sorry. Making friends with disparate people you don't share interest with etc is good, but when you're in a social group who you do share interests with it's better to be ultra selective and build a sub-clique.

Anyway, I guess if this cosplay group was my entire social life relying purely on it might be unhealthy, but it's not, it's just a once a month meet-up where I can indulge my geekier tendencies. It also doesn't seem to have too much in common with furdom, so let's get back to that.

How many active furries would you say there are in say, London?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After reading Obdicut's posts I'm curious as to what sorts of stereotypes furry species have. Are wolf furries regarded as being rather aggressive? Lions as noble? Raccoons as sneak-thieves? What about other species like stags or horses?

All I know is that for some reasons foxes have a reputation for being immense sluts and there are jokes about their orifices and whatnot. Though speaking of... why DO fox furries have that sort of reputation?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lions are incredibly lazy and snuggly :3:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Obdicut posted:

I think you're painting these cliques very black and white. It is possible to be into cosplay, yet still have a life and interests outside of it that you can converse about.

One of the main social gatherings I attend weekly is an indoor rock climbing group. While we're all there to climb and support each other in the sport we're also a very diverse group of people who chat about whatever. We've got engineers, sign language interpreters, biologists, roboticists, a professional opera singer and so on. While we all share a hobby, and met through the one area, we are fully capable of communicating on a broader topics, as I'm sure the cosplay group is. You've gotta meet people somewhere, and it's a lot easier to find people if you happen to have a common interest.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Megabound posted:

I think you're painting these cliques very black and white. It is possible to be into cosplay, yet still have a life and interests outside of it that you can converse about.

I didn't say you couldn't.

quote:

One of the main social gatherings I attend weekly is an indoor rock climbing group. While we're all there to climb and support each other in the sport we're also a very diverse group of people who chat about whatever. We've got engineers, sign language interpreters, biologists, roboticists, a professional opera singer and so on. While we all share a hobby, and met through the one area, we are fully capable of communicating on a broader topics, as I'm sure the cosplay group is. You've gotta meet people somewhere, and it's a lot easier to find people if you happen to have a common interest.

I'm not sure why you'd think that I was saying the people can't be of different backgrounds. It's entirely possible to have a clique that is made up of people with good social skills, just like you can have a working environment or an office where people all actually really like each other and get along. The point is that even if someone adds nothing socially, or has weird and sketchy views, or serially hits on every woman in the group, a clique is far more likely to still include that person. Again, this can be a good thing for that person--if someone's super-awkward and shy, being part of a group that has a synthetic social reason for existing can be great for them--but that same looseness means that if someone meets the minimum requirements for the group--is into indoor rock-climbing, cosplay, kickboxing--you're forced to socialize with them. Good for learning how to socialize with them, but the group dynamic isn't the same as a group of friends who just like each other for their personalities.

The comparison I'm making is between, say, the group of friends my brothers and I have, where people are just added to the group not based on wherever the hell we've met them, just based on them being interesting or cool and funny, and the softball team my brother belongs too, who are cool guys and the socialization is fine, but it is distinctly different, and most important, operates under distinctly different social rules than the group of actual friends.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 14, 2015

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Shayu posted:

Being a furry sounds super boring and also really weird and creepy.

There was no furry mob justice done to the dog fuckers? I'd probably get violent if I knew someone was sexually abusing their pet and had the audacity to bring around their sex dog.

No, which is one of the big reasons I grew so disgusted with the fandom, as stated above.

mediadave posted:

How many active furries would you say there are in say, London?

Hard to say an exact figure, as Londonfurs meets drew from all over the country. And by no means did all curries attend meets. But in London proper? High hundreds to the low thousands, perhaps? Certainly more than a few hundred.

ShadowCatboy posted:

After reading Obdicut's posts I'm curious as to what sorts of stereotypes furry species have. Are wolf furries regarded as being rather aggressive? Lions as noble? Raccoons as sneak-thieves? What about other species like stags or horses?

All I know is that for some reasons foxes have a reputation for being immense sluts and there are jokes about their orifices and whatnot. Though speaking of... why DO fox furries have that sort of reputation?

Most species have some sort of stereotype attached to them. Sometimes this comes from popular views of the animal in question, sometimes from the actions of various folk in the fandom, sometimes both. Foxes are sluts, wolves try to act tough but are secretly little puppies, cats are arrogant, but big cats are somewhat over represented amongst community leaders. Anything with scales is weird and dragons are just plain loving nuts.

Hedrigall posted:

Lions are incredibly lazy and snuggly :3:

And that.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Camrath posted:

Most species have some sort of stereotype attached to them. Sometimes this comes from popular views of the animal in question, sometimes from the actions of various folk in the fandom, sometimes both. Foxes are sluts, wolves try to act tough but are secretly little puppies, cats are arrogant, but big cats are somewhat over represented amongst community leaders. Anything with scales is weird and dragons are just plain loving nuts.

What about birds, or cetaceans?

Are there just not enough to create a stereotype?

Do they call reptilian furries 'scalies'? (It seems so arbitrary that a cyber sparkle dog-fox hybrid would be fine but a dragon is odd.)

How do most furries identify politically?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Dienes posted:

Are there just not enough to create a stereotype?

Do they call reptilian furries 'scalies'? (It seems so arbitrary that a cyber sparkle dog-fox hybrid would be fine but a dragon is odd.)

How do most furries identify politically?

Cetaceans are a thing, but quite a rare one. Likewise birds. So yeah, not enough to really stereotype.

The reptilians going as scabies.. I'm not sure how much of that is a self-assigned name; it's certainly used though.

And flurries are all over the spectrum, from hard right to full on communists. Honestly, furry politics is something that I've never really discussed in depth though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any bug people?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A lot of people bring up the "How come there are no bug/octopus/naked mole rat furries? :smug:" thing but choosing an ugly animal to be ironic is becoming as cliche as going for something mammalian and Disneyfied.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Camrath posted:

And flurries are all over the spectrum, from hard right to full on communists. Honestly, furry politics is something that I've never really discussed in depth though.

The funniest thing I ever saw was a "Republikin" livejournal community. For conservative otherkin.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Hedrigall posted:

A lot of people bring up the "How come there are no bug/octopus/naked mole rat furries? :smug:" thing but choosing an ugly animal to be ironic is becoming as cliche as going for something mammalian and Disneyfied.

The naked mole rat furry should just die within days.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Kurtofan posted:

Any bug people?

The director of Anthrocon has a cockroach fursona. And I knew a dragon-fly fursona'd woman in the UK (used to tease her about her 'ironic wasp fursuit')

Hedrigall posted:

The funniest thing I ever saw was a "Republikin" livejournal community. For conservative otherkin.

There was one U.S. Fur I followed back in the live journal days who was a full-on right wing blowhard (a birther as well). That was.. Weird to read, to say the least.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 14, 2015

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Obdicut posted:

The comparison I'm making is between, say, the group of friends my brothers and I have, where people are just added to the group not based on wherever the hell we've met them, just based on them being interesting or cool and funny, and the softball team my brother belongs too, who are cool guys and the socialization is fine, but it is distinctly different, and most important, operates under distinctly different social rules than the group of actual friends.

Those 2 groups, friends and cliques, do not need to be disparate things. Small cliques can be very self selecting and have higher minimum requirements from the outside population of that activity, and fall into what I think you're classifying as "true friendship", or be a just as valuable form of socialisation.

I frequently hang out with other climbers from my group outside of the activity itself, to see movies, grab a beer, or invite them and their partners around for dinner, and would say I have few friends outside of my main two cliques. Sure, we've had our fair share of weirdos or creeps, but they get pushed out very quickly, and both groups mingle at other non-activity related gatherings.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 14, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Megabound posted:

Those 2 groups, friends and cliques, do not need to be disparate things. Small cliques can be very self selecting and have higher minimum requirements from the outside population of that activity, and fall into what I think you're classifying as "true friendship", or be a just as valuable form of socialisation.

If they are not disparate things, then you're not learning how to make friends without first having something in common. This leads to a more limited group of friends. I never used the phrase 'true friendship'.

quote:

I frequently hang out with other climbers from my group outside of the activity itself, to see movies, grab a beer, or invite them and their partners around for dinner, and would say I have few friends outside of my main two cliques. Sure, we've had our fair share of weirdos or creeps, but they get pushed out very quickly, and both groups mingle at other non-activity related gatherings.

Okay, since I'm talking about socialization within the clique, I'm not sure why you're bringing up socialization outside the clique. If you have few friends outside your main cliques, then, again, you're obviously missing out on anyone who doesn't take part in those activities. There is nothing 'bad' about that socialization, but what I'm saying is that learning to be able to make friends with people without having that common experience first is a good and valuable social skill, and that social groups formed by people just liking each other and introducing them to other people and building a group dynamic based on the actual people and not an activity is, in fact, superior. It's not saying anything about true friendship.

You can disagree with me--you can think that clique socialization is better, even, and that that shared experience bonds you better together. That's fine. But there's an obvious difference between a group of people who don't have a common experience just making friends with each other, and those who have the shared hobby as a jumping off point. A lot of the limitation of this is going to be that activities are self-selecting and strongly divided by race and class and is part of why people often have very few friends outside their ethnicity and class. Some activities have a very low economic bar to entry and can actually introduce people across class and race lines, and that's really cool, and good, but the point is that those friendships then extend outside that group. Obviously, rock-climbing has a high class barrier to entry and is going to be mostly white, but you do selectively only invite a few people from your rock-climbing group over for more personal gatherings. You don't invite the whole group, and you invite partners, who aren't part of the rockclimbing group. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You seem to keep interpreting what I'm saying as clique socialization being bad. I'm not.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Obdicut posted:

If they are not disparate things, then you're not learning how to make friends without first having something in common. This leads to a more limited group of friends. I never used the phrase 'true friendship'.

Okay, since I'm talking about socialization within the clique, I'm not sure why you're bringing up socialization outside the clique. If you have few friends outside your main cliques, then, again, you're obviously missing out on anyone who doesn't take part in those activities. There is nothing 'bad' about that socialization, but what I'm saying is that learning to be able to make friends with people without having that common experience first is a good and valuable social skill, and that social groups formed by people just liking each other and introducing them to other people and building a group dynamic based on the actual people and not an activity is, in fact, superior. It's not saying anything about true friendship.

You can disagree with me--you can think that clique socialization is better, even, and that that shared experience bonds you better together. That's fine. But there's an obvious difference between a group of people who don't have a common experience just making friends with each other, and those who have the shared hobby as a jumping off point. A lot of the limitation of this is going to be that activities are self-selecting and strongly divided by race and class and is part of why people often have very few friends outside their ethnicity and class. Some activities have a very low economic bar to entry and can actually introduce people across class and race lines, and that's really cool, and good, but the point is that those friendships then extend outside that group. Obviously, rock-climbing has a high class barrier to entry and is going to be mostly white, but you do selectively only invite a few people from your rock-climbing group over for more personal gatherings. You don't invite the whole group, and you invite partners, who aren't part of the rockclimbing group. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You seem to keep interpreting what I'm saying as clique socialization being bad. I'm not.

please stop pseuding it up in every thread on the forums

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Bitter Mushroom posted:

please stop pseuding it up in every thread on the forums

It is a derail, and I'll stop talking about it now.

But you sound bitter, myconid.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
That guy who thought that you could see cum under a blacklight was such a loving idiot.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

I'm more familiar with the term Confurvative. How do these people come into being? Seriously.

A while back I remember someone posted a comic by some Libertarian furry artist. Was kinda interesting in this hardcore individualist way but then it devolved into some freaky incest.

Dienes posted:

Ah gently caress my eyes!

EDIT: Oh god no don't gently caress my eyes.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm more familiar with the term Confurvative. How do these people come into being? Seriously.

A while back I remember someone posted a comic by some Libertarian furry artist. Was kinda interesting in this hardcore individualist way but then it devolved into some freaky incest

'Better Days' by Jay Naylor. I read it years ago, stopped after he had his tween sibling characters loving in it. Seem to recall some weird racial poo poo in it too.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Camrath posted:

'Better Days' by Jay Naylor. I read it years ago, stopped after he had his tween sibling characters loving in it. Seem to recall some weird racial poo poo in it too.

Yup. All the black people were hyenas and crazy.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Hyenas are really cool and much cooler than lions so what a confurvative furlure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ShadowCatboy posted:

I think they spontaneously generate in the doghouse behind the Republican Log Cabin.

• Locked thread