Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My survivor name is Zero Day and my steam ID is the same as my SA name. I'll probably be on later tonight like 10 pm ish PST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

LuciferMorningstar posted:

If you're outside and it rains enough, this might work. Maybe. But if you're in a cave or something, have fun constantly running back and forth filling up the water tank. That thing only holds 200 water, which is less than a single medium plot holds.

Yeah that's true, but even though animation-wise water is constantly spilling out of the taps the level only goes down when the plots consume water. It is stupid that you fill the tank with like two or three water skins but whatever, once it's full it's only using it as fast as the plots use it and it rains every couple days. The plots don't use water very quickly it seems.

Of course it would only work outside though. Over the past couple of days it hasn't run out though and I've logged in to plants that have produced stuff, this is with 1 water tank feeding 4 medium plots. Plus you can easily just build more water tanks up top.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

kaxman posted:

Plus you can easily just build more water tanks up top.

Wait, they stack vertically? :aaa:

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
I just joined the arkgoon group as John_Calvin.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
RIP: the Argentavis I was taming. Level 29, then a goon left clicked while everyone was packed around to get the dossier entry.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Rhymenoserous posted:

RIP: the Argentavis I was taming. Level 29, then a goon left clicked while everyone was packed around to get the dossier entry.

Then got the spino caught in the spikes and killed that too

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Wait, they stack vertically? :aaa:

Oh, no I doubt it. I just mean you can easily put a junction in and connect to several tanks instead of one.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

What is the easiest way to get rid of the giant metal dino gates? Some tribe on the server I play on blocked all of the caves with giant metal gates. Explosives of some sort? Any other way?

Enduro stew + Battle Tartar and you might take it down with melee?

There were steam posts about a week ago bitching about a guy that pulled an ascendant pike out of a supply cache and was knocking down metal walls all over the place doing this.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

In game and the steam group as Moose King, I am pretty bad at this game but I will try my best to not bring goon tribe down with me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's talk of a possible wipe on officials due to a duping bug. Just sayin

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

with 3 friends on a private server how much fun can we have with zero pvp?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
About a weeks worth I'd say.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Then got the spino caught in the spikes and killed that too

We lost some raptors too.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Junkie Disease posted:

There's a solid amount of stuff to do. Exploring the caves alone would be a pretty substantial undertaking. The main issue with forgoing PvP is that most of the higher-tier crafting stuff will go totally unused. The saddles will be useful, but you'll have no pressing need for stronger structures or firearms.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

Rhymenoserous posted:

I paid my bird debt!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

There's a solid amount of stuff to do. Exploring the caves alone would be a pretty substantial undertaking. The main issue with forgoing PvP is that most of the higher-tier crafting stuff will go totally unused. The saddles will be useful, but you'll have no pressing need for stronger structures or firearms.

firearms, yes. It'll be easier to explore the caves with better firearms.
Structures though, I can agree isn't that useful above wood on a private pve server.
Remember that unlike official 40 or that 127 slot one, a private 3 man isn't going to have the crazy rubberbanding currently being experienced. That means dinos will be quite terrifying.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

Savoroot is apparently the catnip for herbivores. The thing is, most don't seem to realize it because you have to farm it. And why farm when you can bronto large swaths for all the berry varieties you could need including narcos for narcotics.

We'd read that too and it's bullshit as the bronto we were taming wouldn't touch the stuff and went for mejo then any other berries over the savo.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aleth posted:

We'd read that too and it's bullshit as the bronto we were taming wouldn't touch the stuff and went for mejo then any other berries over the savo.

Huh, interesting to note then. I wonder if it depends on the animal since there are 4 farm only varieties. That, or the devs didn't develop the food table completely.

Mordachi
Aug 9, 2006
Goon swarm stole my virginity
This game is both the best and the worst at the same time, it's amazingly fun yet goons have made it terrible unfun for both pubbies and goons alike. The rampant duping among most goons has sucked all the fun this game has to offer in the terms of risk vs reward and made them negligible to non-existent. What good is a survival game with infinite resources? none. What good is a survival game with no challenges? none. What good is a survival game with no competition? none. Take my advice and don't play right now until the dupe bug is fixed and/or server resets or at least avoid world 40.

As for other game issues PVP is entirely imbalanced by the fact that people can just pick up others with flying dinos and just drop them to their deaths, although hilarious there is literally no recourse or counter, if you like watching a bar fill up for hours to tame a dino and lose it in 10 seconds this is probably your game.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Aleth posted:

All herbivores eat the mejo berries first regardless of which berry is their preferred food. It might be the same issue for all base berries over the farmed ones.

Mordachi posted:

As for other game issues PVP is entirely imbalanced by the fact that people can just pick up others with flying dinos and just drop them to their deaths, although hilarious there is literally no recourse or counter, if you like watching a bar fill up for hours to tame a dino and lose it in 10 seconds this is probably your game.

Get a parachute or two to prevent this.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 22, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mordachi posted:

I think they need to reconsider levels and stats on dino's. It's far too easy to just stack HP and have unkillable dinosaurs because you either stack HP or lose. And if you have the most HP you regen it stupid fast immediately after combat ends. It'd be nice if dinosaur stats were static across the board, based on age and size, and balanced around that.

That ties into player balance as well. I'd much rather they introduced a trait system where you pick a trait every few levels from a skill tree that lets you build a character around certain roles instead.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
What is the goon tribe on Land of the Lost called?

Mordachi
Aug 9, 2006
Goon swarm stole my virginity
Parachutes have a few issues too, one theres a butter zone where you can lift people high enough for lethal dmg but not high enough to deploy the chute before death, two they aren't craftable leaving their supply low and three and the biggest thing there is absolutely nothing from stopping the person from just picking you up again sometimes even in mid air before you land and just dropping again.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Mordachi posted:

Parachutes have a few issues too, one theres a butter zone where you can lift people high enough for lethal dmg but not high enough to deploy the chute before death, two they aren't craftable leaving their supply low and three and the biggest thing there is absolutely nothing from stopping the person from just picking you up again sometimes even in mid air before you land and just dropping again.

Um. Parachutes are entirely craftable. I made three for myself yesterday. Also you can attack the bird holding you.

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof

Geektox posted:

What is the goon tribe on Land of the Lost called?

Outer Heaven. if Snake doesn't catch you then I can also invite, in game name is Kanix. I've made quite a bit of progress on this server mostly solo, up to level 40 now and have a metal panic room in my shack. Would be great to get some more people and some collaboration going though (farming enough cement paste for the metal room yesterday took a ridiculous amount of time solo)

Snake, any chance you can change the tribe settings when you are on? Personally owned would be great.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

I got 5 friends on a private server, we've been going strong for 3 weeks now. Highest level is 42, so we got a lot of game left.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jestest posted:

I paid my bird debt!

Yeah, but now we need another lady meat truck.

EDIT: Gather round goons, it's story time, a story that tells you "You should buy this game." Sunday morning we had found a spinosaur with decent level and coloration and decided "Yes this must be tamed." due to a paucity of goons with actual base building vision on this lead to a rash of goons deciding to help out in gathering meat for said spino so it could be tamed quickly. So we sally fourth upon a total of three T-Rexes and another spino, thus begins a herbivore Armageddon that we won't see the like of till a meteor comes down and crushes the island.

While on the way I run across a pair of level 5 naked newbies, without a shred of common sense they run up to the T-Rex named "Goon Betrayal" and start yelling how cool it is over local voice chat. Deciding to preen a bit I let off the T-Rex roar which freaks them out and sends them scattering. They then run back and yell "That was awesome!" Then I eat them while they scream in terror. I am out here for meat after all.

Forward to the dino slaughter, our Spino Meat Truck is in peril! He has been attacked by a pubbie riding a T-Rex and people with tranq arrows inside of a base. These fucks are attacking us? We own this server! (Note: We shall ignore the fact that Meat Truck was giving their base a little nibble because no rent had been paid). A flying wedge of T-Rexes goes flying to his aid and plows through the pubbie base destroying everything while they shriek on local voice coms about "Fair play" and how we had destroyed days worth of work. The base owners girlfriend says she is reporting us to the admins. Good luck with that lady. EDIT: I forgot to mention, one of our fliers plucked one of the guys off the base and started singing "A whole new world" to him right before dropping him to his death.

We then finish up taming lady meat truck only for her to die on our own bases spikes 8 hours later. Goons bad.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Farming is actually pretty straight-forward. You need a small plot or larger for berries, or a medium plot for the stuff you can only grow from seeds. Put one seed in plus some fertilizer, and add water. As long as you keep the plot watered and fertilized, stuff will grow in a couple of in-game days. The problem is that if the water/fertilizer runs out, the crop regresses back to prior stages, so if no one is online to maintain water levels in the plot, the crop could go from almost ready to bear fruit back to a seedling. That particular aspect is absolutely stupid, but you can get around it by setting up irrigation, though that's a pain in the rear end.
Making this even more obnoxious: plots only hold twenty-some berries at a time, meaning you have to babysit the plot to get any good out of it.

It's not even something you can let sit in the background and do its own thing, the yield is laughable compared to dino gathering

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 22, 2015

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Goona play this game. If i get captured by goons while learning the controls I will be very upset.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Jackard posted:

Making this even more obnoxious: plots only hold twenty-some berries at a time, meaning you have to babysit the plot to get any good out of it.

It's not even something you can let sit in the background and do its own thing, the yield is laughable compared to dino gathering

Medium and large plots are the only way to grow Longrass and Savoroot required to make the unlimited oxygen chowder, so they are critical if you ever want to farm pearls in the future.

Question: How are you guys keeping your Mammoths and Brontos safe from Argent attacks while you are offline? It seems like the only way to defend against birds at night is to use auto-turrets. We have a very advanced metal base, behemoth gates, multiple Trexes and Spinos, an electrical power grid... the works. Last night we lost all of our raptors, scorpions, dilos and Mammoths to what I assume was 1 guy flying a bird. He probably picked up the small dinos and dropped them in the ocean, and picked apart the mammoth with melee attacks since the mammoth can't defend itself from an attack from the air.

The only thing I can really think of is to make a giant metal aircraft hanger to store all the dinos in at night while we sleep, and I hate to think of how much metal and cement paste that would cost.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 22, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

Medium and large plots are the only way to grow Longrass and Savoroot required to make the unlimited oxygen chowder, so they are critical if you ever want to farm pearls in the future.

Question: How are you guys keeping your Mammoths and Brontos safe from Argent attacks while you are offline? It seems like the only way to defend against birds at night is to use auto-turrets. We have a very advanced metal base, behemoth gates, multiple Trexes and Spinos, an electrical power grid... the works. Last night we lost all of our raptors, scorpions, dilos and Mammoths to what I assume was 1 guy flying a bird. He probably picked up the small dinos and dropped them in the ocean, and picked apart the mammoth with melee attacks since the mammoth can't defend itself from an attack from the air.

The only thing I can really think of is to make a giant metal aircraft hanger to store all the dinos in at night while we sleep, and I hate to think of how much metal and cement paste that would cost.

Right now? Not much you can do except have a big tribe with timezone coverage. The way you do it if you have people on is hop on your own flier and yank him off his saddle and drop him next to a rex that someone is riding. Alternatively if that's not an option hit him with tranq arrows and bring his bird down to where your aggressive dino's can bite.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Right now? Not much you can do except have a big tribe with timezone coverage.

Yeah that seems to be our issue. We try to secure things as much as possible but the tribe is 4 people who play alot, but we typically all play at the same time, so no one is on in the AM hours on weekdays.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
In the case of 40, it is because no one else has a bird but us. Every time a tribe is found with flyers, they get immediately raided.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

In the case of 40, it is because no one else has a bird but us. Every time a tribe is found with flyers, they get immediately raided.

Playing on servers with goons is the worst if you are a pubbie.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Mondian posted:

Enduro stew + Battle Tartar and you might take it down with melee?

Does this really work? Enough buffs and you can melee down metal gates? Literally every cave on my server is blocked off by the same clan.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Playing on servers with goons is the worst.

Correct

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

Rhymenoserous posted:

Playing on servers with goons is the worst if you are a pubbie.

HOA calling.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

JuffoWup posted:

Is Tribe of Tribes us? I got birded last night while teching up to a wood building with two goonbuds.

Edit: Oh gently caress, Tribe of Tribes *is* us. Well I hope I hosed your bird up with my spear you big meanie ;) TIME TO GET ON MUMBLE

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 22, 2015

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone know which caves are best for farming chitin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

God I wish this was easier to play solo. Goon Cave is set up well but there isn't much I can contribute.