Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, I thought the whole gamergate debacle was over by now.

This whole thing is just part of how the wild west of the internet needs to be tamed somehow. Normally the biggest attempts at regulating it come from corporate interests, but then there's all this poo poo running about.

The internet's wild west aspect is what makes it great. People need thicker skin and accept that putting yourself out there to peddle your ideology can cause a negative reaction. Nobody is entitled to a positive experience on the internet. People are going to be rude and lovely and instead of calling the news to act indignant for a camera, try calling the loving police when creeps take it too far. Or you know maybe don't act as an agitator for your holy cause if you can't take what you dish out. Whatever it is, don't try to change the internet for these people's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It is possible to say "Brianna Wu is not a perfect human being and has said awkward and dumb things" and still 100% condemn harassing and threatening women in any space - virtual or otherwise. Its largely a question of focus.

When someone's talking about the harassment she faced it's probably not the ideal time to talk about the lovely things she's done, that's the point.

hemophilia posted:

The internet's wild west aspect is what makes it great. People need thicker skin and accept that putting yourself out there to peddle your ideology can cause a negative reaction. Nobody is entitled to a positive experience on the internet. People are going to be rude and lovely and instead of calling the news to act indignant for a camera, try calling the loving police when creeps take it too far. Or you know maybe don't act as an agitator for your holy cause if you can't take what you dish out. Whatever it is, don't try to change the internet for these people's sake

You probably should have watched the segment actually

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 23, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hemophilia posted:

"If women can't take getting death and rape threats from pasty-faced basement dwellers who will [probably] never act on them, then they should just let the bleating and screaming 'red pill alphas' control the narrative." :smug:

hemophilia posted:

"try calling the loving police when creeps take it too far"

Yeah, you didn't watch the whole segment.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

hemophilia posted:

Are you a complete moron or have you just done no research? Maybe go read about what happens when the police ARE called?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Talking about the harassment she faced is probably not the ideal time to talk about the lovely things she's done, that's the point.

Yeah let's be honest, however much criticism a person may deserve, "I know where you live and I'm going to rape you" is not criticism and furthermore doesn't exactly lead to an environment when you can have a good discussion.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

When someone's talking about the harassment she faced it's probably not the ideal time to talk about the lovely things she's done, that's the point.

Exactly. That's what I meant by being a question of focus.Apologies for the confusion.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"If women can't take getting death and rape threats from pasty-faced basement dwellers who will [probably] never act on them, then they should just let the bleating and screaming 'red pill alphas' control the narrative." :smug:

It's not just women getting those threats and it's not just basement dwellers who make them, HTH.

I've been doxxed and it's pretty harrowing to have people calling your house making threats and scaring the poo poo out of your family, but the segment was still terrible and no, not worth finishing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

hemophilia posted:

People are going to be rude and lovely and instead of calling the news to act indignant for a camera, try calling the loving police when creeps take it too far.

Yeah but the people in the segment did that and it didn't work.

I think the whole naked picture thing was the bit that there's an actual clear solution for though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

:10bux: tolls on everything with a forum or comments section.

That :10bux: as a gateway does more to keep this place tolerable than almost anything else.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

hemophilia posted:

It's not just women getting those threats and it's not just basement dwellers who make them, HTH.

I've been doxxed and it's pretty harrowing to have people calling your house making threats and scaring the poo poo out of your family, but the segment was still terrible and no, not worth finishing.

lol

"I didn't like what this was saying so I won't finish it, but yes I will argue about it without all the facts, thanks for asking!"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Freaquency posted:

lol

"I didn't like what this was saying so I won't finish it, but yes I will argue about it without all the facts, thanks for asking!"

I got about half way through it, but i've actually been harassed IRL by people from the internet so I tuned out when the coverage didn't reflect the reality of you know, something i've actually experienced and something you're probably pearl clutching about second-hand.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

hemophilia posted:

I got about half way through it, but i've actually been harassed IRL by people from the internet so I tuned out when the coverage didn't reflect the reality of you know, something i've actually experienced and something you're probably pearl clutching about second-hand.

Arguing by anecdote, fascinating

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

hemophilia posted:

It didn't reflect your reality. That doesn't mean that's the be-all end-all of the issue, or that your encounter is the only way that people can experience this sort of harassment online. While my experience may be secondhand, I'm basing my stance off of quite a few more data points than "one."

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

hemophilia posted:

Admitting to confirmation bias is the first step, so kudos on that.

The next step, unfortunately, is not continuing to reinforce that bias, so I'm afraid you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

hemophilia posted:

Christ, this again?

Watch the drat segment in its entirety before throwing yourself dick first into a discussion about it, or you're gonna look like a fool

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Shugojin posted:

Yeah let's be honest, however much criticism a person may deserve, "I know where you live and I'm going to rape you" is not criticism and furthermore doesn't exactly lead to an environment when you can have a good discussion.

One common rebuttal I'm seeing is "they are interpreting criticism as attacks" as a way of muddying the waters and pretending that the victims are just thin-skinned or exploiting the experience as a professional victim. The ironic thing is that even if the latter was somehow true in any way, it's almost as if victimizing them further with harassment campaigns is literally counter-productive to your aims?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

hemophilia posted:

When I got my first rape threat over the internet in '93 or '94 (via Usenet. Quaint.) I believe the "holy cause" I was involved with was academic discussion of a foreign language.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hemophilia posted:

"I had this happen and it was really scary, it should continue happening to others."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"I was once trampled by elephants. It was horrible and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone."

"I was once trampled by hippos. I can't relate to your story at all and gently caress you for wasting my time."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You really should have watched the whole segment, they covered the exact poo poo you're whining about lmao.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I felt like Oliver took a non-controversial approach to it. Can't we all loving agree that all police should know what twitter is? basic knowledge about a crime is kinda police 101, eh?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i thought that was "shoot black people"

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

ultramiraculous posted:

John's physical incapability to accept praise never ceases to be funny:

Gayle: "Don't minimize what you did"

John Oliver:"I got on a plane for 10 hours...go me!"

And he's very sincere about it. It's not a "Hey, look how humble I am." He genuinely seems to want to give credit to others (especially Jon Stewart) and not get a big head.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oliver's always been like that I think, even before he got famous on The Bugle Andy would lavish John with praise and he'd deflect or turn it into a joke every time.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Toxxupation posted:

i thought that was "shoot black people"
Ah, here's the source of your confusion. It's actually 'shoot black people while ignoring the domestic abuse and all types of harassment victims'.

Unconnected, but someone in D&D posted this. A great investigative piece about domestic violence in South Carolina. Warning: not comedy. Not even one little kitten, either.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If only John Oliver has seen all the horrible things she said about gamers! He would understand! :qq:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dreylad posted:

Oliver's always been like that I think, even before he got famous on The Bugle Andy would lavish John with praise and he'd deflect or turn it into a joke every time.

Speaking of which, at what point is John going to admit he doesn't have the time for the Bugle anymore? :( I hate to see it die but I wouldn't mind it become Andy's Satirist for Hire.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving dead, kiddo.

(THIS POST REPORTED TO THE FBI)

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I think the only mistake was that he chose(probably accidentally) someone who happened to be somewhat polarizing and that would be a distraction to the point he was making. It would be as if he were talking about how horrible bankruptcy was and used Donald Trump as an example.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Echo Chamber posted:

If only John Oliver has seen all the horrible things she said about gamers! He would understand! :qq:

What about the horrible things she's said about minorities? I mean not that she deserve death threats or anything like that but she's not a good person by any means...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Grinning Goblin posted:

I think the only mistake was that he chose(probably accidentally) someone who happened to be somewhat polarizing and that would be a distraction to the point he was making. It would be as if he were talking about how horrible bankruptcy was and used Donald Trump as an example.

I don't think Anita or Wu are going to create that effect for most people. It's only an issue for those obsessed with videogame-related twitter drama.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, 99% of people out there have no idea who Wu is or anything about her and never will.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Goobergate people just don't realize how tedious and boring the Entire Rest Of The World finds this ongoing drama.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zakharov posted:

Goobergate people just don't realize how tedious and boring the Entire Rest Of The World finds this ongoing drama.

And yet, when you wade into their goblin warrens, they're constantly talking about how they're winning the battle because some "SJW" got his conference bumped from E3 or something. It's amazing how much this consumes their lives, right down to their pillow art waifu Vivian James.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oliver is certainly aware of the effect his stuff has on Reddit and Twitter; and the inclusion of the brief soundbites by Anita and Briana was deliberate. Most people might not care for GG drama, but Oliver's aware of the fraction of his fans who are brogressive anti-"SJW" types.

You can argue that Wu is slightly more polarizing than Sarkeesian by pointing to the :airquote:legitimate controversial actions:airquote: by Wu; but anyone put off Wu probably hates Sarkeesian too. They're not being honest when they say their issue with Wu is [specific action being the arbitrary red flag] rather than their opposition to feminism as an ideology or a tribal label.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sarkeesian is cool but the guy that writes her videos is a giant idiot... hope this helps.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Narcissus1916 posted:

It is possible to say "Brianna Wu is not a perfect human being and has said awkward and dumb things" and still 100% condemn harassing and threatening women in any space - virtual or otherwise. Its largely a question of focus.

Jesus, some people in this thread are thick (or are just being willfully obtuse).

The discussion is about the threats and intimidation. Whatever your personal opinion of someone may be, it's irrelevant to the conversation. Because no matter how lovely a person someone may or may not be, they do not deserve rape threats, death threats or to be slut shamed.

Bringing up their personality or perceived flaws just makes you look like a prick trying to justify the behaviour of these anonymous cowards.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: nvm

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 23, 2015

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And yet, when you wade into their goblin warrens, they're constantly talking about how they're winning the battle because some "SJW" got his conference bumped from E3 or something. It's amazing how much this consumes their lives, right down to their pillow art waifu Vivian James.

Ok what the hell is Vivian James?

Google says it's some 4chan anti-feminist mascot? It's a really generic looking character is all I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Soylentbits posted:

Ok what the hell is Vivian James?

Google says it's some 4chan anti-feminist mascot? It's a really generic looking character is all I can tell.

Have you ever seen a political cartoon where a white artist draws a black man saying "obama is just a thug" or some such because then you can't call them racist? And how it never works? This is that. They felt cognitive dissonance, for ever so briefly a time, by telling women that no, actually, there is no harrassment and you don't feel threatened, and then they cleared that up by drawing a female cartoon mouthpiece that validates their world view.

• Locked thread