Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think it's that word that I'm getting stuck on because every modern car I've seen had 95RON in the owner's manual, with disclaimers saying you won't achieve advertised mpg figures with 91RON. You're right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I think it's that word that I'm getting stuck on because every modern car I've seen had 95RON in the owner's manual, with disclaimers saying you won't achieve advertised mpg figures with 91RON. You're right though.

I don't think it's a matter of being right or wrong just that we misunderstood each other. Do you live somewhere that uses RON primarily? My last car was a 98 STi imported from glorious nippon and it wanted 100RON, I ended up detuning it to 91AKI for awhile and then 94AKI when I wasn't happy with the tune on 91.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

IOwnCalculus posted:

$5000 includes labor, I hope, and probably also a healthy "gently caress you for making me work on a Saturn" tax.
Hah, yes. I've lost count of the number of recalls there's been for my my particular model over the years. Faulty power steering pump, faulty rear brake light casing, passenger air bags missing valve check pin, windshield motor failure, possibility of premature timing chain separation, etc. I was hoping it might have been the latter so I could have got this fixed without paying a cent, but the automotive gods obviously had other ideas. Hindsight's an invaluable thing -- if I knew then what I know now, etc.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you magically managed to have a chain that got just sloppy enough that it jumped a few teeth, that could explain the low compression across the board. But unless you're willing to dive deep into that engine to second-guess the mechanic, I would take 30-60 PSI compression readings as a very big sign that it's time to park that car. $5k and some haggling should be able to get you a decent example of a 2003-2007 Accord, which would be better in just about every way.
See, here's the thing. There was (apparently; I never received notice) a recall for my model of Saturn because of an increasing chance of timing chain separation the older the vehicle gets. Saturn owner forums are chock full of L200 owners who had a timing chain separation at ~100K miles. The tow truck guy, who was a former car mechanic, took one listen to my engine attempting to start and without hesitation said it sounded like a timing chain separation. I get the feeling Royal Chevrolet just did a compression test and didn't check the timing chain (which I understand requires the engine to be partially removed in order to check), because in 99.99% of cases timing chains aren't supposed to break. Unless you've got a loving 2001 Saturn L200, in which case it's more a case of when rather than if. So there's a very strong possibility that a) the timing chain failed, and b) my VIN's covered by the recall for a free repair. I'm assuming low compression across the board is also a symptom of a broken timing chain and not just a symptom of a hosed engine?

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 26, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, people get seriously miffed at the idea of spending ~30 cents more per gallon for a higher compression engine.

It's such a marketing thing that Ford has gone so far as to rate most (all?) of the Ecoboosts on 87 octane so that they can advertise them as running on regular gas. They make more power on 91, but it lets them sell to the idiots who think anything that needs more than 87 octane must be wasting money.

I'm not disagreeing, but seriously jealous that it's only a 30 cent premium where you are. Here on the east coast low vs hi octane is typically 50 cents.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think it's a matter of being right or wrong just that we misunderstood each other. Do you live somewhere that uses RON primarily? My last car was a 98 STi imported from glorious nippon and it wanted 100RON, I ended up detuning it to 91AKI for awhile and then 94AKI when I wasn't happy with the tune on 91.

Yeah I live in the land of RON and jap imports. I've found that most cars that can technically accept 91RON tend to ping quite heavily, especially if they're an automatic with ludicrously long gearing, and people somehow find this preferable to spending an extra 8c a litre. I'm pretty sure the economy improvement swallows up the extra cost in most cases anyway.

Sonance posted:

I'm assuming low compression across the board is also a symptom of a broken timing chain and not just a symptom of a hosed engine?

Low compression is like a really...un-obvious? way of checking for a busted timing chain when you can just look to see if the cams turn when the engine turns. Even that's probably overkill; you can usually spot it a mile away by the sound of the engine while cranking.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's a stupid question: what's a good way to remove thoroughly melted trash bags from a pickup bed? At least I think that's what's there. poo poo's been there since some time before I bought it and the needle scaler I tried today didn't do much. It was pretty brittle in the winter but not in the summer heat today, hopefully I don't have to wait until winter to not drive myself nuts removing the poo poo.

Also I'm repainting when I'm done so paint damage is not a concern here.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Parts Kit posted:

Here's a stupid question: what's a good way to remove thoroughly melted trash bags from a pickup bed? At least I think that's what's there. poo poo's been there since some time before I bought it and the needle scaler I tried today didn't do much. It was pretty brittle in the winter but not in the summer heat today, hopefully I don't have to wait until winter to not drive myself nuts removing the poo poo.

Since preserving the paint is not a concern, I'd try acetone. Gasoline might do the trick, as well. I've heard that Castrol Superclean is powerful stuff, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Please protect your skin when playing with solvents and use ventilation. /PSA

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

Haha what? This is hilariously untrue. Most modern engines are designed to run 95RON+ (adjust rating accordingly for baffling american ratings). They can run lower octanes thanks to the magic of knock sensors (indeed, you could run practically anything and it wouldn't hurt the engine) but with power and economy penalties; I've lost track of the number of people showing up at my work complaining about pinging because the nice salesman told them their 11:1 CR dual VVTI car will be fine on 91.

You lost track that the question was about cars at altitude. Denver is at about 1600 meters above sea level, less dense air won't compress as far and a higher octane is not required to avoid detonation from compression. At sea level you get one kg per square cm, in Denver it drops to 0.85. Your 11:1 motor is down to 9.5:1, and the lower premium you find here is fine.

It's all normalized that low mid and high grade across America is the same despite having a different number.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Parts Kit posted:

Have you applied a heat gun? Might soften it up and hey good excuse to get a heat gun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sonance posted:

2001 Saturn L200 2.2L 4-cylinder, 100K. Car completely failed to start after pumping gas, electrics and ignition fine, engine emits a high-pitched whine when trying to turn over. Two random passers-by and the towing truck guy both said, "That's a broken timing chain!" without hesitation. Royal Chevrolet engineer didn't mention timing chain at all as part of his diagnosis and simply said that he ran a compression test and all four cylinders were running 30 dry and 60 wet and need to be around 90-100. Cost he quoted for a replacement engine (no mention of mileage) is $5000 + tax. I'm thinking "gently caress that!" and that it's time to get a new car.

Does the engineer's assessment sound fair? He didn't say what had caused the decompression (it's a non-interference engine, so a broken timing chain wouldn't/shouldn't have caused the engine decompression), but is that normal for my car's age/mileage? (I kept the oil topped up regularly; admittedly the engine has sounded a little growlier when idling over the last year or so, but it was far from making obviously labored/knocking noises and I just put the subtle growlier sound down to it being nearly 15 years old. My car's been to the same engineer twice over the last 12 months and no one said, "Hmm, your engine's sounding a bit rough, you should probably do a compression test!" because apparently it would have been obvious to someone whose ear is attuned to such things.)

Probably all moot points if I'm just gonna suck it up and get a new car anyway. I've been putting it off a year or two anyway so this is a good excuse to push me to do it. Just curious to know what you guys think. $5000 for a replacement engine sounds insane, unless it literally is a brand new engine. Googling around for five minutes suggests $1500 for something used in the 60-90K range, $1000 for $100K.

Sorry, but the 2.2 is an interference engine. Though if the chain skips instead of breaking, and it's only by a tooth or two, you usually escape with no damage.

The timing chain tensioner is a known issue on that engine; usually it's just slow to build pressure on a cold start (you've probably been hearing the timing chain rattle for a couple of seconds on a cold start for awhile), but if the engine runs low on oil, the timing chain tensioner stops working, and your timing chain skips a few teeth. And you wind up with what you have now. They've revised the timing chain tensioner multiple times as well, as the earlier revisions would let the chain skip if you looked at it funny. And a compression test wouldn't have revealed anything before the chain skipped.

Since the compression is even on all 4, you could find someone who's willing to just replace the tensioner (it screws into the back of the engine block) and re-time the engine - it sounds like it's probably only off by 1 tooth. The chain isn't broken, but it's definitely skipped timing. You may get lucky and escape with damage to only your wallet.

This is, of course, assuming the car is otherwise in excellent shape, and you don't mind dropping $500-1000 on it (nearly all of that will be labor).

(reminds me.. I really need to put the revised tensioner into my car... same engine, just a bit newer, and I've been hearing the timing chain rattle on a cold start for a few months now)

IOwnCalculus posted:

$5000 includes labor, I hope, and probably also a healthy "gently caress you for making me work on a Saturn" tax.

If you magically managed to have a chain that got just sloppy enough that it jumped a few teeth, that could explain the low compression across the board. But unless you're willing to dive deep into that engine to second-guess the mechanic, I would take 30-60 PSI compression readings as a very big sign that it's time to park that car. $5k and some haggling should be able to get you a decent example of a 2003-2007 Accord, which would be better in just about every way.

The L200 got the Ecotec 2.2 L61, same engine that's been used in millions of cars. That engine is known for timing chain tensioner issues, unfortunately (and GM has revised that tensioner many, many times), but the L series has a decently large engine bay (since they were available with a V6).

But yeah, $5k on a 15 year old Saturn? No way. If he/she can find someone willing to re-time the engine and toss a new tensioner in (the tensioner literally just screws into the block with the same socket that fits the oil filter housing, then you whack it with a mallet to release the plunger) for cheap, then it's worth a shot. Aside from the timing chain tensioner, it's a solid engine that'll run forever. Unfortunately, it's likely attached to a 4T40-E unless it has a manual transmission, so the transmission will be the next thing to go.

EightBit posted:

Higher compression definitely isn't the norm for American market vehicles. Even Mazda nerfed their high compression engines because people here can't be hosed to buy high octane gas for vehicles that need it most of the time.

The L61 mentioned above runs either 9.5:1 or 10:1 depending what it's installed in. And runs just fine on regular pump gas, no high octane requirement (or even a mention of anything above 86 in the owner's manual).

Slavvy posted:

Low compression is like a really...un-obvious? way of checking for a busted timing chain when you can just look to see if the cams turn when the engine turns. Even that's probably overkill; you can usually spot it a mile away by the sound of the engine while cranking.

Agreed on how the starter sounds (I've had the misfortune of a timing belt breaking before), but this particular engine is known for jumping timing (especially the earlier models). I have the same engine in my car, and can't see the cams through the oil filler, so the valve cover would have to come off.

The fact that it has even compression on all 4 cylinders says it likely jumped by 1 or 2 teeth (and definitely didn't break the chain), and may have even escaped without valve damage. I've seen a couple of these engines jump timing, and fire right up like nothing ever happened once you re-time them and replace the tensioner.

Still doesn't fix the fact that it's a 15 year old Saturn L200 (you probably saw it as the Opel Vectra B, if you saw it at all over there). I'd have no problem buying it as a non-running car to fix, if I had the space (.. and money), but only because I know how dead simple that engine is, and if I couldn't get that engine running, there's a junkyard 5 minutes away that has piles of cars with the same engine. It'd essentially be an ignition cassette + throttle body swap + power steering pump swap (since it's driven by a camshaft :psypop: ) to get any L61 to run in it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

STR sometimes the mindblowingly specific poo poo you know kind of scares me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It kind of creeps me out too. I fully admit to being a :spergin: about cars I own/have owned. Now that I own a GM with a 2.2, I know entirely too much about the various configurations of the 2.2 and what it came in.

I have nightmares about interior rattles and panel gaps because of that drat Saturn + Ecotec combo, but it's been the most solid car I've owned so far. :stare: (if you don't count interior rattles and a sunroof that likes to get stuck occasionally)

Ask me about DA Integras if you want to see some serious :spergin: action, even though I only owned mine for less than 2 years. I still keep an eye out for them at junkyards, just so I can rip out all the poo poo that always breaks on them, fix it, and toss the parts on ebay.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 26, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What counts as "high compression"? I thought you weren't getting into that range until you were up past 12:1.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Where my Honda or Acura people at.

What sparkplugs are best for a 3.2 tl. Denso or Bosch?

tritoch
Feb 4, 2007
Vehicle: 1995 Honda Civic EX 5MT

Issue: Cranks but does not start

Diagnostic: No fuel pressure. ECU / ECM not outputting 5V to MAP reference. As I understand it, car will not prime fuel pump without 5V on this (and possibly other) sensor reference. I've tried 3 different ECU, and all have just .0136V on the ECU output (D19). I've cleaned the main ECU ground, next step will be cleaning all other remaining grounds. Battery has charge and good voltage. Anything other than a bad ground or bad power input that could be causing 3 different ECUs to output the exact same (low) voltage? I don't have the right leads for my multimeter to backprobe ECU ports, making it difficult to further diagnose.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Arriviste posted:

Since preserving the paint is not a concern, I'd try acetone. Gasoline might do the trick, as well. I've heard that Castrol Superclean is powerful stuff, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Please protect your skin when playing with solvents and use ventilation. /PSA
Thanks!

StormDrain posted:

Have you applied a heat gun? Might soften it up and hey good excuse to get a heat gun.
Got a heat gun already, but unfortunately it being too soft a problem as is. In the winter time the stuff will slowly chip off, but right now in the summer heat it's just kinda mushing into the needle scaler.

tritoch
Feb 4, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Thanks!

Got a heat gun already, but unfortunately it being too soft a problem as is. In the winter time the stuff will slowly chip off, but right now in the summer heat it's just kinda mushing into the needle scaler.

Accelerate the cooling with Dry Ice. It's commonly used to remove sound deadening.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What are these two holes to the left of the wheel on this Fiat Abarth?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

tritoch posted:

Vehicle: 1995 Honda Civic EX 5MT

Issue: Cranks but does not start

Diagnostic: No fuel pressure. ECU / ECM not outputting 5V to MAP reference. As I understand it, car will not prime fuel pump without 5V on this (and possibly other) sensor reference. I've tried 3 different ECU, and all have just .0136V on the ECU output (D19). I've cleaned the main ECU ground, next step will be cleaning all other remaining grounds. Battery has charge and good voltage. Anything other than a bad ground or bad power input that could be causing 3 different ECUs to output the exact same (low) voltage? I don't have the right leads for my multimeter to backprobe ECU ports, making it difficult to further diagnose.

Have you checked the relay bank that's right under the steering wheel? It might be called the main or master fuel relay switch etc., but is a common failure point on Hondas. Pull it out and use a soldering iron to temporarily melt all of the solder points on the little PCB.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

What are these two holes to the left of the wheel on this Fiat Abarth?

Looks like mounting holes for a fender flare or something like that. I think the abarth has more 'body kit' to it than the regular.

tritoch
Feb 4, 2007

EightBit posted:

Have you checked the relay bank that's right under the steering wheel? It might be called the main or master fuel relay switch etc., but is a common failure point on Hondas. Pull it out and use a soldering iron to temporarily melt all of the solder points on the little PCB.

I tried a new and a used relay in this spot. Fuel pump is getting voltage, which I think means the Main Relay is working.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Looks like mounting holes for a fender flare or something like that. I think the abarth has more 'body kit' to it than the regular.

That's what I was thinking. It's just odd because I haven't seen it on any others I've looked at. I'm working with a service that buys cars long distance and I wasn't sure what the deal was with those holes. I hadn't seen them on any other car.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Sort of AI/EN here, and apologies for the length.

My wife (5 mos. pregnant) was in a bad accident a week ago. An 87 year old woman clipped another car (think pit maneuver) and sent it spinning into oncoming traffic. My wife hit it square on the side. My wife is OK, baby is OK so far, however the driver in the middle was airlifted from the scene unconscious and having breathing difficulty. It looks like the other driver is going to make it, albeit with 7 broken vertebrae, broken clavicle, and other injuries (was driving with no restraints according to the accident report). With that said, I just got a call from the insurance company that they are going to total our truck. I have a year and a half left on the payments.

This is where my question comes in. What should I do? The truck in question is a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd. Its a crew cab, long bed, 4wd, lbz duramax, 6 speed allison, top of the line LT3 trim with leather, 158k miles. Bone stock other than a spray in bed liner and leer camper shell (which was in the barn at the time of the accident). I cant find another truck like it, and a new one is about $62k (gently caress that). The insurance company offered me $21.5k, including tax. I gave $26k for it 3 years and 65k miles ago. I don't feel thats a bad offer, but I cant replace the truck for that much. We tow with it about once a week, we have a livestock bumper pull trailer and a 10,400lb equipment trailer. We really do need another truck, but with the baby on the way, we don't want another 5yr payment book. Buyback price was $3600, and the body shop was going to give me their estimate to repair on Monday.

The damage doesn't look bad, frame is straight, radiator support is bent, both front fenders are pushed back, bumper, grill, headlights, fog lights are shot. Airbags went off, but all the glass is good. However the real money is in the cooling stack. Intercooler, radiator, AC condenser, transmission cooler are all hosed. Steering components are OK.

If I take their first offer, we will have about $13k left to buy another truck. If I buy it back, about $9k. What should I do? I am really torn about this. Whatever vehicle it winds up being, it needs to be reliable and safe. We frequently tow 150+ miles and my wife uses it as a daily driver. I don't want my wife/kid riding around in something half-rear end put back together. I would drive it myself but my commute is 160 miles round trip and I normally drive our Prius. Going from 50mpg -> 16mpg would suck.

Can I ask for more money from the insurance company? When do I have to give the rental back? This is killing me. In southwest Indiana if that matters.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ask them where they got their number.. tell them that to buy something similar it would cost you $ x. Have ads of not crazy people to send them to say what an 06 with close to your options is selling private party and or dealer.
Generally ins cos will give you less than kbb for your vehicle and you can get them to go up if you do the above... but you're not getting 62k.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

tater_salad posted:

Ask them where they got their number.. tell them that to buy something similar it would cost you $ x. Have ads of not crazy people to send them to say what an 06 with close to your options is selling private party and or dealer.
Generally ins cos will give you less than kbb for your vehicle and you can get them to go up if you do the above... but you're not getting 62k.

Ohh yeah, no doubt. The adjuster claimed the kbb on the truck is $14k in very good condition. No loving way is that for a diesel. I don't expect 62k by any means, but what I would be left with after the loan is paid off is not enough for a reasonable replacement.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

How hard would it be to replace the power steering pressure hose on a 99 Acura CL 3.0? There is a pinhole leak in the rubber right after the pump. The line disappears somewhere behind the engine, so I'm not sure how involved getting it out will be. I tried to look under the car after jacking it up but I don't have jack stands yet so I didn't want to crawl under.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rdb posted:

Sort of AI/EN here, and apologies for the length.

My wife (5 mos. pregnant) was in a bad accident a week ago. An 87 year old woman clipped another car (think pit maneuver) and sent it spinning into oncoming traffic. My wife hit it square on the side. My wife is OK, baby is OK so far, however the driver in the middle was airlifted from the scene unconscious and having breathing difficulty. It looks like the other driver is going to make it, albeit with 7 broken vertebrae, broken clavicle, and other injuries (was driving with no restraints according to the accident report). With that said, I just got a call from the insurance company that they are going to total our truck. I have a year and a half left on the payments.

This is where my question comes in. What should I do? The truck in question is a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd. Its a crew cab, long bed, 4wd, lbz duramax, 6 speed allison, top of the line LT3 trim with leather, 158k miles. Bone stock other than a spray in bed liner and leer camper shell (which was in the barn at the time of the accident). I cant find another truck like it, and a new one is about $62k (gently caress that). The insurance company offered me $21.5k, including tax. I gave $26k for it 3 years and 65k miles ago. I don't feel thats a bad offer, but I cant replace the truck for that much. We tow with it about once a week, we have a livestock bumper pull trailer and a 10,400lb equipment trailer. We really do need another truck, but with the baby on the way, we don't want another 5yr payment book. Buyback price was $3600, and the body shop was going to give me their estimate to repair on Monday.

The damage doesn't look bad, frame is straight, radiator support is bent, both front fenders are pushed back, bumper, grill, headlights, fog lights are shot. Airbags went off, but all the glass is good. However the real money is in the cooling stack. Intercooler, radiator, AC condenser, transmission cooler are all hosed. Steering components are OK.

If I take their first offer, we will have about $13k left to buy another truck. If I buy it back, about $9k. What should I do? I am really torn about this. Whatever vehicle it winds up being, it needs to be reliable and safe. We frequently tow 150+ miles and my wife uses it as a daily driver. I don't want my wife/kid riding around in something half-rear end put back together. I would drive it myself but my commute is 160 miles round trip and I normally drive our Prius. Going from 50mpg -> 16mpg would suck.

Can I ask for more money from the insurance company? When do I have to give the rental back? This is killing me. In southwest Indiana if that matters.

Pull comps. Look in your area, probably within 75 to 100 miles. Ideally the same packages with similar mileage. If the offer isn't in line you can use the comps to negotiate.

Typically the rental ends within 1 to 3 days post offer. This is the common problem if you don't have replacement transportation.

Regarding the total, be careful. SRS stuff can get really expensive really fast. If the estimate excess the threshold in your state you also need to research if it will carry a salvage title and the steps in that to make it roadworthy.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

tritoch posted:

Accelerate the cooling with Dry Ice. It's commonly used to remove sound deadening.
That's a good idea. Now here's an even dumber question -- where the hell do you buy dry ice?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some grocery stores have it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My wife lost the remote to her car and we're down to one key. It's just a standard chip key and the one she lost was a flip key/remote thing. What's the best way to go about replacing it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife lost the remote to her car and we're down to one key. It's just a standard chip key and the one she lost was a flip key/remote thing. What's the best way to go about replacing it?

Is it red or blue?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Is it a red car or a blue car?

efb.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Parts Kit posted:

where the hell do you buy dry ice?

Google "[your city name/name of nearest major city] dry ice."

Common places to find it include welding/gas suppliers and ice companies.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Bovril Delight posted:

Pull comps. Look in your area, probably within 75 to 100 miles. Ideally the same packages with similar mileage. If the offer isn't in line you can use the comps to negotiate.

Typically the rental ends within 1 to 3 days post offer. This is the common problem if you don't have replacement transportation.

Regarding the total, be careful. SRS stuff can get really expensive really fast. If the estimate excess the threshold in your state you also need to research if it will carry a salvage title and the steps in that to make it roadworthy.

What is involved in airbag replacement? More than just new airbags and crash sensors? Used parts don't seem expensive so I must be missing something.

The truck would carry a salvage title. Would I still be able to get comp/collision on that? Deal breaker if no.

Wife and I went to look at trucks tonight. Since its her daily driver, she wants 4 doors, 4x4, towing 10k+ and 6.5 or 8ft bed. The prices made me want to throw up. Used tundras were $34k+, used chevy 2500s were either $20k beat up contractor trucks or $40k diesels. Going to look at a 2012 f250 6.2 gasser tomorrow. Not really looking forward to a new payment book.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's a 2012 Kia Soul +.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

It's a 2012 Kia Soul +.

You'll have to go to a dealer, or to an auto electrician/garage with a scan tool that can speak Kia/Hyundai's gibberish. I'm not aware of any aftermarket alternatives for Kia's flip keys, although Hyundai keys are 100% compatible and functionally identical (just the logos differ, if it's a black rectangle type one) and depending on your country you might be luckier than me in that respect. There is, unfortunately, no DIY way of programming the keys using their infuriating six-digit code system. It's the same procedure for both the pellet key and the flip type with buttons on, there is a price difference in the base cost of the key. It's unlikely for a tool that can program the immobiliser chip to not be able to program the lock-unlock, but it's possible because they're two completely different systems on the car (you can't even communicate with them both at once, it's electrically impossible!). Obviously you lose central locking if you opt for a plain pellet key.*

*:disclaimer: Kias in your market may be wildly different to the ones I see daily, but I doubt it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rdb posted:

The truck would carry a salvage title. Would I still be able to get comp/collision on that? Deal breaker if no.

This depends on both your state and your insurance company.

I've carried full coverage out of the wazoo on a salvage title Civic that I paid $200 for. Insurance company didn't give two shits when I said it was salvage, just wanted photos.

(of course, I dropped down to liability, then got into an at-fault wreck...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry for the double post. Friend of mine had her main car totaled - she only had liability, other driver was uninsured and can't be located.

Her backup car is her former main car - it got parked after she hit something in the road awhile back.

2001 Beetle (yes, I hear all of you groaning from here), 4 cyl N/A, automatic. The car immediately starts and runs as soon as you hook up the battery cables, the brake lights stay on, and the cluster is acting weird (she thinks it's either completely dead or nearly dead - it's been parked 2 years, so her memory is a little foggy). She's not sure if the starter stays engaged or not. The only way to shut it off is to disconnect the spark plug wires (or coils? I'm not sure if it's COP or not).

It still drives fine and seems to shift fine, but whatever she hit hosed both the oil and transmission pan (both of which have been replaced), and I'm guessing the engine harness got munched up enough to seriously gently caress poo poo up. She knows the sunroof still worked, but doesn't remember if signals, headlights, etc were working properly.

I'm guessing something in the harness got hosed and somehow hosed up the PCM (and maybe BCM) (especially since the engine starts without the key even in the ignition - I assume an 01 VW would have some kind of chip-in-key immobilizer, right?). Any suggestions? I'd like to at least get her pointed in the right direction, though I know this is WAY outside of something I can even consider tackling (at least not without VAG-COM). The car only has 70k, and she's a single mother with 2 special needs kids, so if someone has seen this kind of VW behavior before, that'd be good to know. For obvious reasons, no shop will even look at it without being paid for a few hours of labor up front.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Other than eBay, is there a good place to look for very specific accessories? I'm trying to find, of all things, a set of factory floor mats for a 2001 Jeep Wrangler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I hate to be that guy, but...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=factory+jeep+floormats

Looks like you have several options in terms of resellers, though being a 2001 you may be up poo poo creek.

edit: some of the aftermarkets are downright decent - I'm talking Weathertech, or custom made.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 28, 2015