Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

JT Jag posted:

What do you expect would happen if we told the Balls everything they've been taught is a lie, just dropped all that on them right now? Do you think they'd thoughtfully nod and say 'yes Enkidel, that is some sane and rational stuff you are telling us right now.' Or do you think they'd believe we'd been, I dunno, bewitched by the demon that just left?

What this guy told us is in most ways right in line with what Paebel&co believe, as preached by Bareen, only they think humans did something to deserve getting abandoned. The heretics have been tolerated or better among the Balls for how many years now, and the Balls all know Enkidel is not exactly the orthodoxy's most #1 faithful anyway.

The problem is not nearly so stark as you make it out. What I expect would happen is they'd be very unsettled (as they should be), a good deal of denial would come into play (but the information would be out there for later use), and the only one of them who might flip his poo poo about is Uriah. And as I understand it, he trusts Enkidel and is his long-time friend, so it's likely that an understanding of some sort could be worked out before anyone was seriously hurt.

JT Jag posted:

And besides, even if they did, where do we go from here? Do we just leave Ur and strike out on our own, because Ishamal was such a liar and can't be depended on? Leave our old life behind?

Hmm gee I dunno, usually when a person finds out that there's a terrible fate in store for them, they have more options in the middle between 'throw tantrum, run away' and 'stick head up own rear end, pretend it's not happening'

I don't like this childish binary way of dealing with Ishamal, either. I actually think he's to be commended, in many ways, for taking the merciful option toward Enkidel despite his own percieved obligations to the current status quo, and letting us go out where we might discover the truth for ourselves even though he's bound by other responsibilities to not tell Enkidel himself. But yeah, it's been clear that we can't depend on him (to support Enkidel in being the best that he can possibly be) throughout most of Enkidel's life, don't know why you're acting like this is news now.

SKY COQ posted:

Look that is demonstrably not true. He's had the opportunity to kill or contain is several times and every time he's given us a choice and then supported it. He taught us skills that let us survive getting nuked AND he's prevented our well from overflowing. Yes he's been less than forthcoming with answers but given that traditional religious orthodoxy labels is an impossible abomination, I think we're starting to understand why.

...what? You say it's 'demonstrably not true' and then proceed to agree with everything I said re: Ishamal's training. Read more carefully, please.

All of those things are the bare minimum to keep Enkidel out of a situation where he'd need to be killed or contained right now, so given that Ishamal preferred to take pity on him and let him live, Ishamal had to teach Enkidel that much. I'm saying there's absolutely no reason to think, based on that much alone, that Enkidel has a future ahead of him beyond eventually becoming a zombie.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Uriah is a pariah because his relation Barkof threw in with Bareen in a religious heresy, marking him and the rest of his family as crazy heretical outcasts. His whole identity now is based around being the most righteous, orthodox, socially clean badass who loves El super hard and only barely tolerates the heretics like Paebel because he loves Enkidel so much.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Son of a goddamn bitch, I think I know what the Clash of the Heavens is now.

There's at least two major variant possibilities and a large number of minor ones, but here's the one line short version:

El is real. The Creator is real. They are not the same being. They are going to fight.

So here's how it works: In the beginning, there was no El - there was the Creator who made the Melachim and then made men, and it was good, etc. etc. But then the Melachim lay with men and produced the Nephilim, which was a pretty big mistake due to the whole Eternal Hunger thing eventually causing a near-inevitable breakdown into cannibalism and such. This was not part of the Creator's plan, and he was not pleased.

At this point the two major variants come into play.

Option 1: The Absent Creator. Filled with sorrow and disgust at the willful actions of his creations both human and angelic, the Creator abandons his creations, leaving the Melachim alone and without higher orders for the first time. Bereft of leadership and wanting to help humanity, they eventually hammer out the Law to guide their actions in the future, finding a way to turn Nephilim ancestry into Bloodedness, as well as creating El - a god-being formed from the gestalt consciousness/power of a combined mass of Nephilim and possibly normal humans as well, into which worship can be poured to keep everyone from spiraling into Hunger, as well as providing power for miracles to perpetuate belief in El. This is the reason why the worship of El is pushed so hard - because it's essentially keeping a lid on a bunch of hunger demons. To an extent, this may also be why technological stasis has been maintained - fear that the development of technology and its wonders and horrors would in time lead to doubt in El, with the attendant problems involved. This would also provide a reason to be worried about our children beyond the obvious - such a set-up can't really deal with an unlimited amount of Nephilim to feed as long as El-worshiping men aren't similarly unlimited, so they can't simply plug all our kids and their kids and so on into the God-Machine forever.

The trouble with this setup, however, is that the Creator is merely absent, not dead. Soon he will return, and when he does he will be filled with wrath at the sight of this false idol and make war upon it - this is the coming Storm and the Clash of the Heavens, between the true but inhuman divinity that made the world, and the artificial but human divinity that has protected man. And the damned thing about this setup is that it'll be hard to tell which side to back - the Creator may be more legitimate and may indeed possess more power, but he was also willing to gently caress off and leave humanity behind for millennia in a period of great suffering, while El may be a false god of sorts, but still is real and more importantly is formed of humanity and has an innate love for humanity and a more active desire to protect it. Plus of course there's the slight wrinkle that the Creator probably isn't gonna be all that happy about Nephilim, even if they're helping him, so there's that.

Under this scenario, the attacks of the demons (fallen Nephilim, rogue Melachim, and other ancient beings) are pretty much coincidence - the demons slowly getting their poo poo together, but not in a way that's truly threatening to mankind as a whole except indirectly.

Unfortunately, terrible as that scenario may be, I fear that Option 2 is actually more likely: The Vengeful Creator.

Under this scenario, the Creator wasn't just filled with sorrow and disgust - he was filled with wrath as well. Deciding that everything was hosed, he decided to destroy humanity and possibly the entire world, wiping the slate clean and starting over from scratch. The Melachim, attached to their creations and to humanity for all its flaws, decide they cannot stand for this and so do the unthinkable - they turn upon their Creator. This then is the reason the Melachim failed to respond to prayers at the time - because they were all busy launching a rebellion in Heaven to keep everything from being destroyed. They succeed. Under this scenario, Smythos is essentially a victorious Lucifer.

But they cannot kill the Creator - such is beyond them. They can merely imprison him, which they do by locking him within Mt. Har and sealing him away with the God-Machine El as described above, which now serves as a prison for God in addition to a life support system for Nephilim. And yet even this will not remove the influence of the Creator entirely from the world, and he plans and plots in his imprisonment and hungers for revenge. His influence has spread amongst the demons, who are themselves displeased by the encroaching and dominating influence of Ur/El/the Melachim, and they have made alliance to tear down Ur, weaken El, free the Creator, and so bring about the end of man. Under this scenario the choice of who to back gets a lot easier since the Creator is mainly going to want to kill humanity, but on the other hand we'll have to live with whatever damage we caused while we were faffing about in ignorance - weakening faith in El could directly contribute to the Storm coming sooner, as well as reducing the chances of victory in the war.

In both scenarios, the Melachim have basically been running damage control for millennia, attempting to run a world which they were never made to run, trying to solve problems that were never meant to exist, and desperately working to keep everything from going to poo poo one way or another. They do not trust their own judgment wholly, being painfully aware that they can make mistakes, but at the same time there is nobody out there with superior judgment to theirs - the Creator is gone or imprisoned, humanity as a whole cannot understand the truth without loving the truth over, and they are still uncertain if El, being a stopgap, actually possesses any real wisdom of its own. The solution they've ended up with is imperfect, but it works, and they cling desperately to that as they fear the consequences of doing otherwise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shadeoses posted:

Uriah is a pariah because his relation Barkof threw in with Bareen in a religious heresy, marking him and the rest of his family as crazy heretical outcasts. His whole identity now is based around being the most righteous, orthodox, socially clean badass who loves El super hard and only barely tolerates the heretics like Paebel because he loves Enkidel so much.
It may be worth contemplating that for his faith, trials, and tribulations, Uriah may be some sort of Chosen of El, being given boons by the Melachim? There's... probably a reason that his skills have developed so fast, after all. "He's just that good" might not be it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This guy's buggered off now right? If he comes back, we should get Ruth to flash him the ring.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tomn posted:

Effortpost

We are Soooooo hosed.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Mount Har is full of imprisoned hunger demons.

Blooded kings go out in a monster bashing frenzy or ascend the mountain to protect us from their becoming a minor hunger demon.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
So uhhh. Ish.
He didn't want to talk about his sons.

He might be our cousin too?

Also the Melachim hosed up and now i'm justified in absolutely hating them for being jackasses.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We are in the wilderness as wilderness gets. Giants in front of us. Gibbering horror below us. Snake-Bird behind us. Months away from home. We have just woken an ancient being of completely unknown temperament.

Our band is made up of strong individuals with views of the world that are radically different. This includes not only leaders likely to have polar opposite views about this information, but also our children, who will have to be told that they are not in fact our children or believe that they are destined to be locked in the Hunger Containment Facility for Wayward Children at some point in the future.

It seems pretty irresponsible to lay all that on them way out here. May all be moot anyway. Who knows what Amok is going to do. Going back to sleep doesn't seem high on the list though. Everything has changed for us, but that does not mean we should fragment the Balls in the wilderness, months away from their homes. Their survival rate is high because they are a cohesive group, even with all the differences. Fragment them all to hell out here and you get people killed.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1: E. Task Manager Response.

2. K No. I would like to build a small shrine and pray to El though.
I believe parts of what Amoks says and find other parts incomplete, but am sort of thankful for having more information then I had before.

This fits pretty well into the world view I already had, so I am not that surprised. I do not believe El and the Creator are different beings, I think they are one and the same. Amoks explanation of events seems plausible too given what we know of our own condition.
Our group and our sons deserve to know the truth, but maybe we should leave out the whole "Oh and it thinks it is God" and the overtly hostile to Melachim bits for now. We kind of want to be friends with this thing (imagine what it could teach us? We already have writing!), because let's face it, humanity needs all the help it can get if we are to survive. Also, hey, Maybe it can kill 7Bird for us. That'd be nice.

Kinda disappointed it looks like we wont be taking any of that loot though.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 1, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

We are Soooooo hosed.

For what it's worth, IF my theory is true, I think our best chance of long-term success and survival is doubling down on faith in El to try and push El from being a God-Machine into a God in his own right - to allow him to become what he has until now only been believed to have been, something capable of matching the Creator and maybe finding a permanent solution to the problem of the Nephilim. Protecting the faithful of El should go without saying.

There's going to be a hell of a mess either way before all's said and done, though.

Edit: Or to put it another way which may or may not endear people to El, El is Onegod and the Creator is IAM.

Also, man, theglavwen is going to absolutely poo poo himself when he gets back.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 1, 2015

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
1. You tell them... what? This is again, a fill in. I will turn proposed responses into lettered option.
D. "I need some time to process. I have just learned much." - ThereBiasTwo

Ur society is a lie, but there is a purpose for the lie. We should understand what that purpose is before we decide to expose it, and completely destroy the foundations of society.

2. Would you like to have an emotional display? Pick as many as appropriate.
H. None of the above. I don't believe him. I think he is wrong, or his story incomplete.
J. None of the above. I don't believe him. I won't let this happen!

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 1, 2015

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
1. D. "I need some time to process. I have just learned much." - ThereBiasTwo

2. D. Scream.

We should wait until wingboy returns and tells us what he has found and revisit #1.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Goin' with AHJ

To be perfectly frank, this doesn't concern them, they are not Nephilim, we are. We've known for a while that we are different, draining our well would be a BAD THING, and it would "unleash horror". We now know the nature of the Horror, which was hardly out of left field, between "any more than an (X) expenditure of Water will drive you from reason" and almost HUNGER-ing Billy when we depleted our well. We have no biological kids, for exactly this reason, so they don't need to know either.

Amok says we're doomed to this fate. So? He is not all-knowing, his perceptions are as biased as any man's. If I spent the rear end-end of my life fighting a losing war, continually shoving my zombie sons in a pit, and howling in anguish at the uncaring Heavens..I'd be pretty convinced that my whole race is hosed too.

A lot of things have changed since he was asleep - notably, the gates to Paradise are open on Mt. Har, for those who grow weary of life. If Labaras was what we are, then the climb *can* certainly kill us.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Sogol posted:

We are in the wilderness as wilderness gets. Giants in front of us. Gibbering horror below us. Snake-Bird behind us. Months away from home. We have just woken an ancient being of completely unknown temperament.

Our band is made up of strong individuals with views of the world that are radically different. This includes not only leaders likely to have polar opposite views about this information, but also our children, who will have to be told that they are not in fact our children or believe that they are destined to be locked in the Hunger Containment Facility for Wayward Children at some point in the future.

It seems pretty irresponsible to lay all that on them way out here. May all be moot anyway. Who knows what Amok is going to do. Going back to sleep doesn't seem high on the list though. Everything has changed for us, but that does not mean we should fragment the Balls in the wilderness, months away from their homes. Their survival rate is high because they are a cohesive group, even with all the differences. Fragment them all to hell out here and you get people killed.

You make a good point Sogol.
But we can make our balls aware of that same exact thing right here if we decide to tell them.
If we do tell them i think we should gather all of them down below where we aren't watched.
We should
* make it very clear that we don't really know what is true and what is false.
* make it very clear that whatever they believe is the truth is their truth and we will not call anyone out for being wrong
* ask them what they make of this overflow of new information
* ask them what they think of us now that we have confirmation that we are a Nephilim.
* ask them not to share this information with anyone when they get back home.
* ask them to think carefully about things instead of making rash decicions and jumping to conclusions.
etc.

We really just need to set the tone a little bit when/if we tell them all this poo poo

Whatever the *truth* of the world may be we

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stunned silence, then scream at his disappearing shadow "But why can't I poop?!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SerSpook posted:

The scene itself also never said we said El or anything, just that we spoke a word. And since we know that El means "god", and that there is an absent god that Amok believes could help him, I really think they are pretty clearly connected.

Also, whatever is on Mt. Har, is a hell of a lot stronger than just about anything else we've ever felt.

Maybe that symbol we "said" is the true name of the entity calling itself El?
Spacegod takes over top billing, changes his name to El, and tells folks that the symbol for Spacegod = El

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Vavrek posted:

Yeah. It's one of the books of the Bible.

Do people not habitually translate the Hebrew in this game?

... do they not realize it's just Hebrew?

(Amok was making a silly little pun. Diog has declined to comment on the etymology of "melachim" in Ur, as it seems to be used differently than it is on Earth. There was, just now, a mild argument over whether to use the term "melekh" (king) for things like Amok and Enkidel, or "Nephilim", which eventually settled on the latter as being more appropriate.)

I translate it now that I know what it is. I originally read the thread reading only Diogines posts (because 150 is better than 2000 pages) so I missed the discovery that it's Hebrew.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I guess I'd better vote as well.

1. D. I've always figured that Ishamal and the Melachim had a reason for their reticence whether we like it or not, and now that we know the reason I'm still inclined to agree with them. This knowledge will do the Balls no good, even assuming we knew what the whole and actual truth was ourselves anyways.

2. H. Not intentionally, but he hasn't really been updated on events.

Basscop posted:

We really just need to set the tone a little bit when/if we tell them all this poo poo

On the other hand, remember how well that worked out with Paebel? Now add in a sprinkling of differing, sometimes clashing world views held no less strongly, and season the whole thing with revelations far more world-shattering than what we told Paebel that day. Heck, notice how Diog went out of his way to describe our emotional state upon hearing that - something he almost never does, leaving our emotional state something up for votes or just goon opinion. And that's the reaction of Enkidel, arch-heretic and noted believer in wild conspiracy theories about the nature of Ur, El, and himself. This is stuff that should, in-universe, knock most anybody on their rear end no matter how it's presented, and our Balls are one way or another some of the most zealous and faithful people in Ur. Expecting a calm reaction as long as we present it right seems to be wishful thinking, because people in this universe believe a lot more strongly than we're used to and will not take the total shattering of their worldview well.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tomn puts it more elegantly then I can, remember how Paebel was inspired and not deterred.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Tomn posted:

For what it's worth, IF my theory is true, I think our best chance of long-term success and survival is doubling down on faith in El

I like this interpretation because it makes us this game's Narod.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I can still see myself working with and for El if the cause is good.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Affi posted:

I can still see myself working with and for El if the cause is good.

Same here really. But we'd just be a bit more 'in the know'

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Honestly, I think if we were given the facts objectively, no bias or opinions or perceptions skewing the info, most of us would probably stick with Team El for the most part.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Team Stop the loving Demons and Eventually Return Mankind to their True Lifespan

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Harvey Baldman posted:

I like this interpretation because it makes us this game's Narod.

I feel like the Melachim are this games Narod, except they didn't have an actual OneGod, so they maybe just kind of made one out of twigs and paper-mache and poo poo.

Not sure what El is. I still think he's real (but not the creator), and a force for good.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

By the by, even if my theory about El being a God-Machine to keep Nephilim fed and sedated while simultaneously being powered by them is correct, there's no guarantee that life on Mt. Har is as pleasant as advertised. It could be that the whole thing is an Astronomican-style deal where the Nephilim are sacrificed somehow to keep El going, or that El just imprisons them when they give into the Hunger and leeches powers from their hopping demonic forms somehow, or some other unpleasant alternative. But the way I see it, if eternal hunger and torment is inherent in us as a function of our very existence, then suffering for the sake of helping to protect others beats the hell out of suffering while eating innocents.

Incidentally, we've been having this conversation with Amok outside of his tomb right where everyone can see us, right? There's gotta be some alarm bells going off somewhere.

Can we take a moment to sense our ???

Can we also focus for a moment on our sensation of being Watched, if we still are?

the_steve posted:

Honestly, I think if we were given the facts objectively, no bias or opinions or perceptions skewing the info, most of us would probably stick with Team El for the most part.

For lack of a better choice, if nothing else. Almost everything powerful enough to provide a potential alternative seems to be a dick of one kind or another, and there aren't many that powerful to begin with.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
1D

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You're right. Ask about that mighty demon thingy. I suppose he should be aware that there's one running around.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey Diog:

We remembered to mention the demon we pushed into the pit and had our new BFF slide the large stone block in place, right?

Cheers,
Mango

I'd like to highlight this again.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey Diog:

We remembered to mention the demon we pushed into the pit and had our new BFF slide the large stone block in place, right?

Cheers,
Mango

We didn't need to - He already knows about them:

" My offspring grew weary and from their weariness, they came to know the Eternal Hunger and in it were consumed by madness."

"We imprisoned them but the burden was too great, we could not resist our foes, remain a great people and lock away our sons...In despair, my sons sought to consume each other and our people. The Melachim watched and did nothing. When it was finished, I buried those who remained and went to sleep in hope an absent god would return."

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
So we know not every monster is a demon, despite what our men think.

Demons are Nephalim who have gone mad from the eternal hunger. Cool.

Amok mentionedthat the Melachim are uncaring at best and hateful at worst. I think some powerful demons are actually Melachim who hate humans. That is why there is no way to tell Melachim and demons apart. They are the same. It would also explain why during the battle of Tanaach, the messages the demon sent to his army to "get in the city now" (which we also accidentally received) looked like a message from a Melachim to us. God drat it Paeble you are going to end up under the thumb of a hateful Melachim.

I guess the House of El was created by the Melachim that love humans, or are at least trying to make up for their past mistakes. I still think the House of El is an alright bunch. They are big on men being free to make their own choices and mistakes, mercy, and such. Really don't get WTF mount Har is or what El is. Maybe it is a beacon to get the Creator's attention again? Maybe men really were meant to only worship the creator? Maybe it is a prison for Nephalim? A battery of power? A gate to an afterlife for men? Our missing poop?

Hmmm... So why could we kill the Zviv? Maybe it is just a demon servant? Or did we paste a hateful weak Melachim. The Melachim can be killed, if Zepath's monument is correct.

I am worried about telling our men this. If they spread this secret back home, the House of El will oppose us. They will stop us. Maybe destroy Zepath.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

We didn't need to - He already knows about them:

" My offspring grew weary and from their weariness, they came to know the Eternal Hunger and in it were consumed by madness."

"We imprisoned them but the burden was too great, we could not resist our foes, remain a great people and lock away our sons...In despair, my sons sought to consume each other and our people. The Melachim watched and did nothing. When it was finished, I buried those who remained and went to sleep in hope an absent god would return."
Mango's trying draw attention to the one who was loose.

Travic posted:

I translate it now that I know what it is. I originally read the thread reading only Diogines posts (because 150 is better than 2000 pages) so I missed the discovery that it's Hebrew.
I'm not sure there was any sort of thread-wide discovery moment. Some people recognized the letters or the words, some didn't.

There was a funny moment in IRC, though, when Diog learned how some people were pronouncing "melachim". (With a 'ch' like "chin" or "cheese", while the word in Hebrew could easily be written melakhim, and the 'ch' is the same sound as the start of the words Hanukah or Hallah.) Like, "The words in this game are pronounced exactly however you feel they are pronounced ... but what? Seriously?"

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just don't feel like Not Telling is an option. Our guys just watched a gigantic god-thing that looks exactly like what they think is a Melachim climb out of a pit in the earth and leap up into the sky and fly toward Mt Har. There are unkillable demons below, and also wonders like we have never seen before.

They know we have been talking to him. We have to tell them SOMETHING and I don't think that them seeing us freak out and scream/cry/whatever and telling them we can't say anything because ....reasons is going to cut it.

They love us a lot. Either way this is going to stress that relationship and I'd prefer we come clean.

Telling them down below where we aren't being Watched is a good idea, though.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

quote:

"We imprisoned them but the burden was too great, we could not resist our foes, remain a great people and lock away our sons. And even without such 
troubles, time alone would doom us all, it is our nature. We searched and could find no solace and the Melachim turned from us. In despair, my sons sought to consume each other and our people. The Melachim watched and did nothing. When it was finished, I buried those who remained and went to sleep in hope an absent god would return."

What... what do you say to that? You have reached the rope and climb up. You find the rest of your Balls waiting for you at the top, armed and armored. Eleazar takes your hand and pulls you up. He asks you "Enkidel? What happened? What did you find?" Before you offer a response, Amok climbs out of the hole behind you and stands atop it, gleaming in brilliant armor of gold, silver and platinum, mystical spear in his hand. He surveys your men briefly, many of whom drop their faces in absolute shock, several of which fall to a knee, to their faces or shield their eyes and more of which yell in confusion "You found a Melachim!?!" Snarls expresses surprise to you as he says...

Smells like you!

Amok looks to you and says "You will wait here. I will return shortly." Despite their immense strength, well Blooded men do not have a vertical leap to match. This does not seem to be an issue for Amok. He puts one hand on the ground and jumps... up. And he keeps going.

You look at your children and the men you love and the ruined remains of an ancient destroyed city as your heart is filled with a mix of confusion, anguish, grief and possibly betrayal. You can't hide your displeasure on your face, you sit on the ground. Paebel comes to one side of you and Asahel the other, both are asking you "What did it say? Enkidel? What happened?" Your Balls want an explanation, who is that figure? What happened?

All references to Enkidel having an emotional reaction to such dire news is retconned.  Upon learning that the fact he is not human and doomed to a grisly, horrific fate, Enkidel demonstrates the fact he is not human by having no visible emotional reaction whatsoever.

Or maybe he just does not believe Amok and thus us not troubled?

Regardless, your Balls are all talking and shouting now and in the clamor Paebel and Asahel ask you what happened.  Your men turn to look for your response.  Snarls is climbing all over you and VERY vigorously licking your face!

Safe!  Can we go now?  This is a bad place!

Not yet.

You manage to keep Snarl's tongue off your face long enough to give your Balls a response, telling them "Today, we have unearthed the remains of an ancient tragedy. I dare not say more." This answer does not satisfy your Balls but you will tell them no more.  They turn to those who went below.

Uriah:  "We have found a demon, a Pretender who seeks to beguile us with the guise of a Melachim.  You all well know the stories of such.  Keep your spears ready for when it returns."

Nahari:  "Enkidel wishes no more said, so I will say no more." Nahari, as ever, dutiful and obedient.

Ithma:  "I have no idea what to make of it, but I don't think it's a demon.  They usually just try to kill us, it ate fruit, fed us some and uh, pissed.  Demon's don't piss, do they?"

Uriah: "And Melachim do not have dicks!"

Paebel:  "I don't know what to make of this.  I need to pray."

Paebel, Eleazar and three of your othet Balls walk away from the main group.

The stars hang high in the nighttime sky above.  You can see Amok rising higher and higher into the sky and feel his Presence become more and more distant.  He looks to be going up, straight up and a crater is left in the dirt from the force of his jump.  Higher and higher.  A mile?  Two?  More?  You feel the distant Presence stop and after a few moments... he falls.  The giant figure flaps his wings a few times as he falls to slow his speed and then with great majesty and grace, flies down, his gold, silver and platinum armor glimmering in the light of your campfires.  His wings, like some giant bird looks greatly beautiful.

Your Balls stop arguing and fall silent as Amok turns to you and says "I cannot see precisely what occurs upon that mountain from here-" Eleazar asks Nahari what Amok is saying, it looks like they still can't understand him "-but it is for naught.  Even in victory I would lose, for in defeating them and expending my strength I would only hasten the day of my endless madness.  Even vengeance is pointless.  A sooner doom is coming.  I have seen the bindings in the depths, the chains upon Asherah are nearly spent.  And he is not alone.  Perhaps the extinction of mankind will move a callous and malevolent god who was silent upon the suffering of my people?  I do not know." Amok begins to walk back to the hole "I am going back to sleep."

Please read all of the options.  Thank you.

1.  You say to Amok...
A.  What?!  It is not futile!  Even if we are to suffer forever, maybe we can save the people of Ur!  Help us fight the demons!

B.  Aren't you ANGRY? If we are doomed no matter what, we should take vengeance upon those who are responsible for this mess!  If doom is certain, let their doom come first!  Make war upon the Melachim!  They have deceived me all my life and sat idle as your own people suffered!

C.  You cannot see Mount Har but you have slept for countless years.  Things may have changed.  You should go to Mount Har and discover what is truly there.
Cb.  C., in fact, we should go there together.  They are always watching me, I want to find out why.

D.  drat.  Okay.  Well, have a nice nap.

E.  drat.  Uh, since you are apparently thousands of years old and I have been /completely/ screwed by being born right before the end of the world, could you uh, help me along or something?  Maybe tap my head and teach me how to use all of my powers?
F. ...give me my wings back?
G. ...give me some of your magical gear?  If your sleeping down there and I am up to my rear end in demons out here, you won't need them all?  Will you?  We are family!  Help me out!

H.  Uriah says to you "I don't know what it has said to you but do not be tricked Enkidel!  The Old Tales have WARNED us of the cunning and guile of demons, even taking the form of Melachim to lead men astray!  This is no servant of El!  If it is convincing, that is because it is a DEMON!"

You turn to Amok and say "I am not deceived by you demon and name you such!  I am no fool! You have told me, if not what I wanted to hear, than a convincing set of lies based upon my own suspicions and fears!  And that demon whore Bareen warned me when she did the EXACT same thing!  And the demon at Tanaach!  You are going to get about two steps away from the hole before you turn and say something like there is still one chance, a slim chance... I am no fool!  I do not fear you, demon!
I. ...for El is with me!
J. ...EL HA MELKH KOL HAOLAM!  SONS OF ZEPA!  Remember the fate of all demons cross us and CHARGE!
K.  I think Uriah is right, but don't want to tip my hand.  Wait until the demon turns then try to grab its spear and run it through!
L.   I think Uriah is right, but don't want to tip my hand.  Wait until the demon pretends to go back to sleep and then rjb it through.
M.  I think Uriah is right, but wish to be cunning!  I tell Amok I am grieved by his words and ask for another fruit, this way the demon re-opens its sanctuary.  Once I have the element of surprise, I grab the flaming sword from the rack and cut him in Twain!
N.  M., but grab the spear instead.
O.  M., but I attack him with the blue orb I saw in the hand of the statue in the chamber below.

P.  I don't know what to say.  Goodnight.
Q. Farewell.

R.  I do not believe you.  This is impossible.  El is real and your words are false, lies.
S.  I do not believe you.  This is impossible.  El is real and your words are false, you are mistaken.

T. Nod mournfully, walk back to take another fruit and when Amok turns his back, grab his flaming sword from his back and run him through!

U.  Nod mournfully. Order your Balls to leave.  Come back in a few days and loot the place one Amok is asleep again!

V.  You think that yoi are starting to feel... a little hungry and at least one stray thought in your mind(probably Slaan?) tells you Amok looks delicious!  When he turns his back, dive upon him and FEED!

W.  I want to question Amok.  He does not seem predisposed to answering questions so I probably can't get a full Q&A session but maybe he will answer a few?  Pick this option and this alone if you want it, you will try to get some more information out of Amok.

X.  Something else.  Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 1, 2015

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Depending on what Amok says when he gets back, I think I have some goals for the game. Well, old goals and one new goal.

• continue being an awesome hero, king, explorer, tummy rubber, and kind man
  • protect our people from demons and monsters
  • find out the secrets of the House of El. Seriously, what are you guys doing?
  • NEW MISSION: find a way to bind the eternal hunger for Enkidel, and the sons of Amok.

We have a bunch of captive demons here. I think we should experiment on them and find a way to help them. Not now, since we are too weak to wrangle them, but when we are stronger, we should. I am not sure how to go about this. Continuing Ishamal's lessons, continue to learn new things, continue trying to create new things, etc. Maybe we should try to learn magic too. Maybe we can discover something to kill Amok's sons, or ease their improsonment and suffering, or better yet heal their madness.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
F/V I WANT MY WINGS DAMNIT, IF YOU DON'T FIX MINE I'LL TAKE YOURS ALONG WITH YOUR HEART AND SPLEEN AND LIVER AND THROAT AND LUNGS AND TESTES AND DICK AND

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Voting C
But I am totally in favor of asking questions, or for asking for anything.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A, G if he utterly refuses

Don't give up now, cousin!

Switching to Plan Sandwich

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 1, 2015

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

E, but also advise him to go seek out the Mountain; things may have changed, and if not, your valor and strength could be of use in these end days?