Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tomn posted:

If I'm being entirely honest Ish probably could have stood to say SOMETHING more than he did on that. But on the other hand, I don't feel that our trying to do what we did was so inevitable that he should have foreseen that possibility, either.
If a fate worse than death lies behind a door, you should warn people not to open it even if it's not right next to the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tomn posted:

If I'm being entirely honest Ish probably could have stood to say SOMETHING more than he did on that. But on the other hand, I don't feel that our trying to do what we did was so inevitable that he should have foreseen that possibility, either. One of the annoying things about the thread is the polarization of debate, I think - over time as the arguments come up again and again it's easy to get swept back from a more moderate initial position into a hardline stance one way or another. When someone is insisting that everything Ish does is wrong and evil, it's easy to get caught up in the argument that he was justified, and when someone else is insisting that Ish never did anything wrong it's easy to get caught up in all his flaws and mistakes.

Unless you never debate at all and just keep your own counsel, of course, but what kind of crazy person does THAT?

He probably didn't even need to tell us anything secret, just that overdoing it with not breathing might kill us. Ish probably didn't think anyone would be stupid enough not to realize that they need to breathe, but, having known us for as long as he did, he should have known better.

Polarization of debate these days is small potatoes compared to when team Ashera went bonkers over being taken away by Tudiya and started a hate cult that even seemed to get under Diog's skin (and he seems to have the patience of a saint otherwise). When that happens, I can't help but go :ohdear:.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ElrondHubbard posted:

when team Ashera went bonkers over being taken away by Tudiya and started a hate cult

Sometimes I can't help but look back at all the ridiculous things that have happened in this game over the last couple years and laugh. People were yelling COLONIALISM and ETHNOCENTRISM at the guys just trying to rescue us from the Eternal Hunger monster.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

ElrondHubbard posted:

He probably didn't even need to tell us anything secret, just that overdoing it with not breathing might kill us. Ish probably didn't think anyone would be stupid enough not to realize that they need to breathe, but, having known us for as long as he did, he should have known better.

But...he told us we don't need to breathe?

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

But...he told us we don't need to breathe?

He followed us around for days repeating that. Breathgate is still pretty dumb. If we'd listened to Asahel we might have a kickass Melachim bro still. :sigh:

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Danceghazi shouldn't be considered a bad decision because it reinforced Enkidels love of sandwiches. It's character development.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Enkidel's love of sandwiches really resonates with me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Schwza posted:

Danceghazi shouldn't be considered a bad decision because it reinforced Enkidels love of sandwiches. It's character development.

I don't get any of the dance hate anyways. Dancing isn't what got us shot, and the whole experience DID get us some clues, even if we don't know how to place them yet.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

The first vote to dance was..Sily, yeah.

Continuing to dance when it became clear that these guys were coming with obvious heavy weapons WAS stupid. That's what what got us in a situation where our only options were "get captured" or "get shot, then captured." We had plenty of time to get lost, and that's what we spent it on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think that's still hindsight talking.
Meta-wise, I don't think we knew they were guns until they gave us the demonstration. Even if we had known about the cannons, at close range with as heavy as they are, they wouldn't have been much of a threat.
Honestly, if they HADN'T been packing heat, and they just had actual spears, we could have probably taken out the whole lot of them with minimal injury to ourselves.
And approaching us armed wasn't THAT big a warning sign. We were an unknown and acting odd. We could have been luring them into an ambush for all they knew. And what if they had managed to speak our language? Or do some sort of language mind meld?
Just because things went bad doesn't mean they couldn't have gone well for us. Diog has proven countless times that anything can happen. Had the capybaras rolled differently on the dice, we might have ended up learning gunsmithing and become King of the lizard people thanks to our Mighty Dance.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Meta-wise, I don't think we knew they were guns until they gave us the demonstration. Even if we had known about the cannons, at close range with as heavy as they are, they wouldn't have been much of a threat.
Just because things went bad doesn't mean they couldn't have gone well for us. Diog has proven countless times that anything can happen.

But the choice was made, even after the demonstration, to continue dancing.

Sure, things could have gone better with Enkidel being shot by dozens of magic-spears considering we've survived a nuke-snake... but Diog has also directly stated multiple times that Enkidel is not particularly resistant to physical damage compared to Blooded men even half his age.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I thought we immediately tried to run after the demonstration?
Wasn't it Dance, Dance some More, Keep on Dancing, then they show up, pantomime that they want us to surrender, pretend to shoot their Snakidel guy to warn us, then we ran and got shot?

And what I meant was that us getting shot may not even have happened had the capybaras rolled differently. Yeah, we got shot and taken prisoner, but there was just as much possibility at the time that things would have gone awesome instead, with blackjack and hookers and no bullet wounds.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

the_steve posted:

Wasn't it Dance, Dance some More, Keep on Dancing, then they show up, pantomime that they want us to surrender, pretend to shoot their Snakidel guy to warn us, then we ran and got shot?

And what I meant was that us getting shot may not even have happened had the capybaras rolled differently. Yeah, we got shot and taken prisoner, but there was just as much possibility at the time that things would have gone awesome instead, with blackjack and hookers and no bullet wounds.

I dunno 7-bird seemed like he would have been a dick even if we surrendered peacefully or managed to make contact in some other way. Like, at least Amok was chill and didn't go all "I'M GOING TO BURN YOUR BRAIN DOWN WHILE I DO A MIND READ. ABOMINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATION" on us. We didn't even kill any of his blizards, its the equivalent of someone dancing on the street in front of your house and you taking out your shotgun to deal with the "problem"

Edit: Not that I think dancing was the issue, I think anything that lead up to us meeting 7-bird ended up with Enkindel getting a bad deal. Dancing was kind of funny in its own way.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

I love you too Tsyni

Remember the Mike Gallego era? It seems so long ago now...

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

the_steve posted:

Hindsight? This is what I was voting when they came rolling down the path with long-pots-painted-like-dragons, while everyone else was voting DANCE S'MORE.

UppaTree posted:

They're not guns or cannons, but they are Exalted-style Firewands and Greek Fire launchers.

NOW CAN WE gently caress OFF PLEASE? They laid an ambush for us, we talked to them, they gave up the ambush and went for reinforcements, now they're coming with weapons out. I don't even care what kind of weapons,, honestly, you don't paint a long open cylinder-on-wheels to look like a dragon unless evil poo poo comes out of it.

Either shoot the oxen or get lost, but enough with this diplomacy poo poo, they're just not having it and we had no good reason to believe they ever would.

Yes, I also hatched the acheme that got us shot, but only because it seemed the only decent shot at not being captured. It even worked. just not well enough - there's a long-pot-wagon left back there, and one terrified ox.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Tsyni posted:

Remember the Mike Gallego era? It seems so long ago now...

Speaking of things gone by, whatever happened to Lanky Coconut Tree? Really just peace out forever after disagreements over the wing amputation? Or does the angry tree still show up in IRC or something?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

the_steve posted:

I think you're right. Clearly our mistake was that we stopped dancing.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Theglavwen posted:

Speaking of things gone by, whatever happened to Lanky Coconut Tree? Really just peace out forever after disagreements over the wing amputation? Or does the angry tree still show up in IRC or something?

Wasn't he the terrible poster who made really hilariously bad rape analogies and then got pissy when people called him on it?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lanky was possibly the only person who could out-rage me when it came to being pissed off at Ishamal.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

bonus hole boy posted:

Wasn't he the terrible poster who made really hilariously bad rape analogies and then got pissy when people called him on it?

I think he may have had significant anger issues. It may have been him who left IRC on several occasions after getting way over-the-top furious during a discussion.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Theglavwen posted:

I think during the wing arguments, Diog specifically said "No more rape analogies, this means you, LCT, any more will see you unofficially banned from the thread and your votes not counted." LCT's response was, well, not meek acceptance. Which is a shame - I rather liked LCT, at least when the red rage wasn't upon him (and sometimes even then).

He's still around, though - pops up now and again in Lowell's 40K thread.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Tomn posted:

I think during the wing arguments, Diog specifically said "No more rape analogies, this means you, LCT, any more will see you unofficially banned from the thread and your votes not counted." LCT's response was, well, not meek acceptance. Which is a shame - I rather liked LCT, at least when the red rage wasn't upon him (and sometimes even then).

He's still around, though - pops up now and again in Lowell's 40K thread.

I have like 4k posts to catch up on there. :getin:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have like 4k posts to catch up on there. :getin:

It's as complex.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Unlike Enkidel, Ohone knows the benefits of eating people alive (with machines) to gain power from their innermost essence.

By strapping guns to their skulls and bombs to their corpses.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

There Bias Two posted:

Sometimes I can't help but look back at all the ridiculous things that have happened in this game over the last couple years and laugh. People were yelling COLONIALISM and ETHNOCENTRISM at the guys just trying to rescue us from the Eternal Hunger monster.

Woah, woah, woah. If we'd stayed in Athar, we would have been the High Priest. We would have Empowered ourselves with Blood magic, and crushed Tanaach and Zepath personally.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

There Bias Two posted:

Sometimes I can't help but look back at all the ridiculous things that have happened in this game over the last couple years

I read this and then had to go back to the first post to confirm and goddamn does time fly. It seems like only a short time ago we were doing Madgod.
Where has my life gone??
(Btw, I've said it before, but great job Diog, keep up the fantastic work)

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't know if Not Votes were ever officially banned, but man, it was the worst back then. Especially when they were used to successfully change a vote, then a huge argument would erupt over them, often from people who used them in the past for the same effect.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Speleothing posted:

Woah, woah, woah. If we'd stayed in Athar, we would have been the High Priest. We would have Empowered ourselves with Blood magic, and crushed Tanaach and Zepath personally.

More importantly we would have stayed true to our black heritage. I am so dissappointed that Enkidel became an Uncle Tom.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Speaking of, does anyone have a link to Madgod? I can't find it for the life of me.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Kinetica posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to Madgod? I can't find it for the life of me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529830

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Raserys posted:

I don't know if Not Votes were ever officially banned, but man, it was the worst back then. Especially when they were used to successfully change a vote, then a huge argument would erupt over them, often from people who used them in the past for the same effect.

They were. Don't ask me to find specifically where, but they were., and it was a good move. Not only because they could swing the vote all over the place. but because way too many people pissed their votes away not-voting things that were never gonna happen. Rather than voting for what they WOULD like to do, they'd downvote Asherah Options well into the negatives.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

I don't get any of the dance hate anyways. Dancing isn't what got us shot, and the whole experience DID get us some clues, even if we don't know how to place them yet.

The dancing was the most evocative and fun name for that particular line of decisions, but it wasn't the dumbest choice. The dumbest choice was to engage in heretical diplomacy with monsters when we've been told, for our entire lives, that everything out there wants to kill us and monsters are to be killed, not trusted. To do so without our weapons or shield at the ready, instead disarming like idiots. To forget that every culture in the entire world is militaristic and suspicious. And to not even have the foresight to have our Balls to back us up as we tread into what we were told was extremely dangerous territory.

Speleothing posted:

Would have been fun to ride on top of the Doom of Tanaach. We probably would have gotten stomped by Tudiya and his Melachim hacks though. Luckily we could just be a zombie high priest from then on.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I miss LCT.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

ElrondHubbard posted:

The dancing was the most evocative and fun name for that particular line of decisions, but it wasn't the dumbest choice. The dumbest choice was to engage in heretical diplomacy with monsters when we've been told, for our entire lives, that everything out there wants to kill us and monsters are to be killed, not trusted.

Eh, gonna hafta disagree on this point. Our culture may be wise in some ways, but it is also obviously and embarrassingly full of poo poo in others. Case in point, Uriah was totally in keeping with cultural values for wanting to stab Amok. which would have gotten us all pasted. The diplomatic approach we took with him was deeply and obviously heretical. The only reason our Balls didn't jump him outright was because they couldn't understand his claims of divinity.

Still dumb, just not for that reason.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Tsyni posted:

I miss LCT.

Me too. Now UppaTree is the angriest tree. And frankly, that's just not the same. :(

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

ElrondHubbard posted:

The dumbest choice was to engage in heretical diplomacy with monsters when we've been told, for our entire lives, that everything out there wants to kill us and monsters are to be killed, not trusted.

But they didn't kill us or even try to kill us. At worst they acted like modern police.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, absent their rear end in a top hat god the lizardfolk (or their women, at least) seem like people we might have gotten along with, to a degree. Hypothetically. Wouldn't have been all sunshine and rainbows and puppy dogs, to be sure, but there might have been the beginnings of cross-cultural contact, albeit one that probably consisted more of "We're both capable of killing a lot of each other if we wanted, so let's not, how 'bout that" than anything else. A tenuous link to build diplomacy on, but one that goes a hell of a lot further than we've ever gone with other non-human intelligences.

Re: Dancing, I don't think there was anything wrong with the first vote to dance, and who knows, maybe it was what led them to try and think we could have been taken alive instead of fought to the death. The second vote to dance was definitely sub-optimal, but it wasn't quite so bone-headed in and of itself. No, the real dumb bit was voting to run away after they demonstrated what they would do if we tried to run away and were in close range of their weapons.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I'm not really sure what even happened with the Lizard God. Like, the females thought we were funny and were being cool, but Lizard God was a loving prick. So we have no memory of that place anymore? I guess what was the point of it then?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm not really sure what even happened with the Lizard God. Like, the females thought we were funny and were being cool, but Lizard God was a loving prick. So we have no memory of that place anymore? I guess what was the point of it then?

We recall the non-gun related stuff. Including opening the doors.

We are to never spread what we found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Also, the capybaras don't seem to go too much into narrative point per se - they seem to be a lot more "well, this is a thing that is here, and if you go there and do that such and such will happen." If it so happens that five miles south of Zepath lies the one-way gate to the Ennui Dimension of Total Meaninglessness, then going to that gate and going through it sends us exactly to said Ennu Dimension and there we shall ponder existentialism for all eternity simply because that was what was there and that was what we walked into, not for the purpose of any given narrative.