Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Duke Chin posted:

It took me til I was 38. :smug: Also, after almost 4 hours of stick'n'puck today I can finally loving do forward-to-backward mohawks with excellent comfort L-R-L and relative comfort, but just needs more practice, R-L-R. Hooray for goal-setting and meeting-said-goal and gently caress doing the ol' friction spin anymore. :toot: What's funny is I can do the mohawks OUT of backwards skating on both sides no problem for years. Just getting IN to backwards was always "okay, you're like 5'11" and the ice hurts when you fall down so don't fall down" and then I'd gently caress up. Full pads owns I don't feel a god drat thing.

My feet, however, after being jammed in those poo poo rear end vapors all afternoon hurt like they've never hurt before right dead center in my foot. God daaaaaaaaaamn.

I learned mohawks years ago and for a while I was totally comfortable doing them, but I just...never do. I did one randomly in warmup over the weekend and totally surprised myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I learned mohawks years ago and for a while I was totally comfortable doing them, but I just...never do. I did one randomly in warmup over the weekend and totally surprised myself.

I'm mostly just amused that I've had back-to-forward mohawks, both sides, down pat for a couple years mostly out of a sense of self preservation and not falling down. But to get INTO backwards skating I just couldn't figure it out or my feet wouldn't cooperate. Hooray I've beaten them into submission everyone! :toot:

Now, if only my puck handling and possession wasn't shhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
...Oh and my shooting.
...And pretty much everything else involved with the stick and that rubber thing.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Championship game tonight tied 0-0 half way through the third. Their man rushes into our zone, without thinking I perform a two handed slash with ample back swing, hit his stick hard, and he crashes into the ref at the blue line. 4 minute double penalty and they score on the ensuing PP. Two more goals after and we lose 3-0.

Oops.:sweatdrop:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

DeNofa posted:

Me and another guy (forgot his username) are representing the frozen North (Carolina)!!

Very frozen here in CLT!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

prom candy posted:

There's a LOT of hockey happening here and I think a lot of people who are having all those "holy crap I just did backwards crossovers!" moments in their 20s and 30s.

Finally getting the hang of these after working on them for literally over a year.

:c00l:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Duke Chin posted:

It took me til I was 38. :smug: Also, after almost 4 hours of stick'n'puck today I can finally loving do forward-to-backward mohawks with excellent comfort L-R-L and relative comfort, but just needs more practice, R-L-R. Hooray for goal-setting and meeting-said-goal and gently caress doing the ol' friction spin anymore. :toot: What's funny is I can do the mohawks OUT of backwards skating on both sides no problem for years. Just getting IN to backwards was always "okay, you're like 5'11" and the ice hurts when you fall down so don't fall down" and then I'd gently caress up. Full pads owns I don't feel a god drat thing.

Just wait until you've gotten even better and you dont even have to worry about mohawks and you just pivot into backwards skating and back into forwards skating!

I don't even know how I transition backwards anymore. I think I just sort of pivot on my toes?

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

doctor 7 posted:

Finally getting the hang of these after working on them for literally over a year.

:c00l:

I am so glad I've been shelling out money for private skating lessons. I'd have never been able to figure a lot of this poo poo on my own, but thanks to someone telling me how to do these things, (keep your back straight, knees bent, keep an axis to the ice when you're doing that movement, get low, etc.) I've managed to go from never lacing up to how do I manage the transition from mohawk, to backward crossover to forward crossover WITHOUT taking my eyes off the play.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Maddot_66 posted:

I am so glad I've been shelling out money for private skating lessons. I'd have never been able to figure a lot of this poo poo on my own, but thanks to someone telling me how to do these things, (keep your back straight, knees bent, keep an axis to the ice when you're doing that movement, get low, etc.) I've managed to go from never lacing up to how do I manage the transition from mohawk, to backward crossover to forward crossover WITHOUT taking my eyes off the play.

Yeah private lessons are the way to go.

I'm not one to pump my own tires but looking at other adult learn to play ice hockey players my skating is stronger in a lot of respects to people playing for 5-10 years due to lessons.

Having someone watching over you and teaching you proper form improved your skating immensely. I registered for power skating for ages 6 and up at a CanPowerSkate school. Sure it's embarrassing getting danced around by 6 year olds when you're 30 but you improve rapidly if you work on your own as well as lessons. I actually won a Most Improved trophy from the school haha

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I didn't do private lessons but I did two sessions of a learn to play class and I'm really glad I did. I also went to public skate every chance I got until I was comfortable, and now I go to drop-in every chance I get and play with better players. There are still a lot of gaps in my playing and skating but you really get out of it what you put in.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Potentially playing three back-to-back-to-back playoff games tonight. My poor hip flexors. :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pregame beer ought to loosen you right up.

That's what I've heard anyways.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

Pregame beer ought to loosen you right up.

That's what I've heard anyways.

Try it sometime. Everyone is doing it. :getin:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I'm (still, always, forever) a pretty lovely skater but I still easily over-skate my ability to do anything whatsoever with the stick, so...

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

Very frozen here in CLT!

I was in CLT too! Now I'm in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. Thank god for the University here and the Ice Arena or the closest hockey to me would be in... Bloomington, IL apparently.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Played 1hr and 30 minutes of drop in today after 2 hours and 15 minutes of power skating and adult learn to play last night.

Drop in today was a last minute call so my pre-game meal was ****ing peanut butter Haagen-Dazs. I am dying. :negative:

However I almost scored my first real goal against a good goalie. I had him beat, he wasn't screened or anything, and it was off the cross bar and deflected forwards and down into the back of his leg pads. So close.

bgreman posted:

Potentially playing three back-to-back-to-back playoff games tonight. My poor hip flexors. :stare:
Enjoy attemping to stand up for the next two days!

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 25, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

doctor 7 posted:

When you wake up the next day and you can't even move your legs over the side of the bed, that's the best feeling. Trouble is, the better you get, the harder it is to feel that again. It's pretty much chasing the dragon.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah, I can feel it already. Too bad I have games Saturday and Sunday, as well. Lost all three games tonight, but I scored a pair in the middle game. In the final game, we were up 5-0 and managed to lose 6-5 in the shootout. I was on the ice for the last three goals against ugggggggggh.

Also too fuckin bad this happened in the middle game:

That's a new break pattern for me. This one is still under warranty, so we'll see if I get an RA for it. Already bought its replacement anyway. Tron's high-end sticks are $50 off right now, so I picked up one of those.

Can't say I like the Parise/Drury curve that stick had. I'll be glad to return to my Zetterberg/Cammalleri curve.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 25, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bgreman posted:

we were up 5-0 and managed to lose 6-5 in the shootout. I was on the ice for the last three goals against ugggggggggh.

Tron's high-end sticks are $50 right now

A: ouuuuuuch that's gotta sting. :(

B: ohhhhhhhh reaaaaally?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

A: ouuuuuuch that's gotta sting. :(

B: ohhhhhhhh reaaaaally?

Sorry, B meant to say $50 off right now.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

bgreman posted:

... snip

That's a new break pattern for me. This one is still under warranty, so we'll see if I get an RA for it. Already bought its replacement anyway. Tron's high-end sticks are $50 right now, so I picked up one of those.

...snip

Are Tron sticks decent? Nick was mentioning seeing them. I bought Vic G sticks from Tron, they are ok.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Wooty posted:

Are Tron sticks decent? Nick was mentioning seeing them. I bought Vic G sticks from Tron, they are ok.

The one I had was light as poo poo (lighter than my Easton Mako II I use for backup). Lots of available patterns, and 75-flex as an option. It was about a half inch longer than I like.

The break was from bringing it down accidentally on top of someone's stick, way too hard. However, the heel had started to delaminate, probably because I threw a hissy and smacked it off the ice after I had a bad own goal.

I bought an HX4 last night in my normal curve, so I'll review that when it arrives.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bgreman posted:

Sorry, B meant to say $50 off right now.

Balls. Hah, ah well I really don't need to buy any more hockey gear at all right now anyway.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Duke Chin posted:

Balls. Hah, ah well I really don't need to buy any more hockey gear at all right now anyway.

Okay I lied... I bought new skates this weekend.

Very loosely and tangentially related to that: Anybody wanna buy ~5-6 month old 8.5D Bauer Vapor X60's? Plenty of life, lil scuffed up but not bad, pretty much brand new waxed laces! :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Duke Chin posted:

Okay I lied... I bought new skates this weekend.

Very loosely and tangentially related to that: Anybody wanna buy ~5-6 month old 8.5D Bauer Vapor X60's? Plenty of life, lil scuffed up but not bad, pretty much brand new waxed laces! :v:

Whatup fellow Bauer X60 buddy :respek: (even in size 8.5). What skate did you end up getting?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Vargatron posted:

Whatup fellow Bauer X60 buddy :respek: (even in size 8.5). What skate did you end up getting?

Graf G35S's I believe? (They're at home; I'm at work) - I didn't know poo poo about buying skates when I got those vapors and ended up about 1-1.5 sizes too big and the instep on vapors isn't ANYWHERE NEAR what I need. Tried some grafs on while we were waiting for my girlfriend to get her skates baked and whoops there went :homebrew:. Reconciled the purchase with A: These fit correctly. B: I'll hopefully be able to craigslist these not-really-old-at-all skates and C: I need to sell off one of my drumsets I'm not using and that'll MORE than cover the cost of these skates.

(i look forward to bitching about my new skates-not-broken-in feet woes in a couple days) :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dude this is a safe space you don't need to justify your gear purchases here.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

Dude this is a safe space you don't need to justify your gear purchases here.

hahah I'm trying to work through this out loud... to my bank account.

:homebrew:

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

girl hockey is harder than boy hockey

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

Graf G35S's I believe? (They're at home; I'm at work) - I didn't know poo poo about buying skates when I got those vapors and ended up about 1-1.5 sizes too big and the instep on vapors isn't ANYWHERE NEAR what I need. Tried some grafs on while we were waiting for my girlfriend to get her skates baked and whoops there went :homebrew:. Reconciled the purchase with A: These fit correctly. B: I'll hopefully be able to craigslist these not-really-old-at-all skates and C: I need to sell off one of my drumsets I'm not using and that'll MORE than cover the cost of these skates.

(i look forward to bitching about my new skates-not-broken-in feet woes in a couple days) :v:

"Hi I'd like to get [my first pair of] skates sharpened."
"Sure thing, man. Be about 10 minutes so feel free to look around if you would like."
"Yeah I'll take these top of the line skates please."

High pressure sales, man.

I justified them because they were actually top of the line (same Reebok line my cheap starter skates were too) at 60% off, fit better and holy crap what a difference.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
So I watched the Hockey Tutorial guy on stake sizing and measuring. Wearing my normal socks I measured 10.5" length by a 4" width just below the toes at the fattest part of my foot. So according to the ratio calculations he showed I should be an E width. I then went ahead an measured under my heel and it was 3". Any recommendations based on my foot sizing? I know the best thing to do is go try on a bunch of different skates, but just wanted to hear of anything that might be good for my foot size that I might want to ask about.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I doubt many people have measured their feet. Just go try on every skate you can afford.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Every place I've been to has a foot measurement tool for skates. However every skate fits different so yes, get a general sense from the tool then go from there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There aren't many good resources on certain measurements like heel width. Go try them on.

You can make a small skate fit bigger. Pretty much can't do the opposite.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Right but that thing measures in skate sizes. I don't think a lot of people know their heel width in inches and match that up to skate specs.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

"Hi I'd like to get [my first pair of] skates sharpened."
"Sure thing, man. Be about 10 minutes so feel free to look around if you would like."
"Yeah I'll take these top of the line skates please."

High pressure sales, man.

I justified them because they were actually top of the line (same Reebok line my cheap starter skates were too) at 60% off, fit better and holy crap what a difference.

On the plus side it was the whole sell-off-last-year's-model plus a tent sale they were having so they were drat near ~65% off. I'd actually been talking with him off and on for a couple weeks bitching about the side of the boot and maybe getting 'em punched out up there but, honestly, when it came down to it - they were just too god drat long, not wide enough, and the instep was WAY too shallow. :shrug: They had the footboard measuring thing lying around so I checked out both my feet during bake-time and started grabbing poo poo off the wall and trying it out. The only thing I'll miss is how light the vapors felt comparatively.

Also that hockey tutorial guy (the brit dude, right?) drives me insane. He takes 15 minutes in every video to explain something you could in 5 and repeats things over and over.

sellouts posted:

You can make a small skate fit bigger. Pretty much can't do the opposite.

Yuuup - learn from my mistakes!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

On the plus side it was the whole sell-off-last-year's-model plus a tent sale they were having so they were drat near ~65% off. I'd actually been talking with him off and on for a couple weeks bitching about the side of the boot and maybe getting 'em punched out up there but, honestly, when it came down to it - they were just too god drat long, not wide enough, and the instep was WAY too shallow. :shrug: They had the footboard measuring thing lying around so I checked out both my feet during bake-time and started grabbing poo poo off the wall and trying it out. The only thing I'll miss is how light the vapors felt comparatively.

Also that hockey tutorial guy (the brit dude, right?) drives me insane. He takes 15 minutes in every video to explain something you could in 5 and repeats things over and over.

Yeah, top of the line 2-3 year old gear is the way to go when you know what you want. If you can get it on a deep clearance sometimes it's cheaper than brand new middle-road gear. Brad Richardson in the NHL has apparently worn the same gear since Major Junior or something, like a decade (even his mouth guard).

I'm still shocked how much of a difference the skate makes though. I won't lie I found the bottom of the line more comfy because it was so soft, while the top line skates as more firm. But after a few skates I got used to it and Jesus you can really dig into the ice for turning, stopping, etc. etc.

His videos get much better as he progresses. Him and HowToHockey are my staple YouTube skating tip guys. Complimented by actual skating instructors on the ice so I can improve much faster. Still, it is nice to see slow-motion mechanics of a movement before attempting it.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah HowTo and M2 hockey's (and one other I'm forgetting) have been my go-to youtubes for a while. I mean, I don't really have anything against the Hockey Tutorial dude other than he just gets so long winded and convoluted at times. :shrug: There are worst things to be.

And I swear, as a long time drummer and a new time ice hockeymans, the youtubes are a gaw'drat goldmine for both of those departments anymore.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I feel like literally every man I know who started playing hockey as an adult has a story about buying the wrong/too-big skates first and then buying new ones shortly thereafter once he had a clue.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm having the weirdest issue where my skates are pinching the poo poo out of the outer part of my foot about 2 inches back from my toes. And this is 6 months after I've been skating with them. What kills me is that they didn't hurt like this before and now they do. I can't explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok so since this is gear safe space, I bought those Tron Elite Pro pants for like $20. They sure had a fuckload of padding and thick nylon, but they were also pretty stiff. In the end they were just too uncomfortable because they were too small, and when I sat on the bench the hip pads would kind of press in on me. Hard to get on and off. So I traded them into Play It Again for a paltry sum and went to a LHS.

They had a paltry sale but I tried on a bunch of different brands and lines. Reebok stuff was on huge sale so I tried their 20k and the 18/19k stuff. Pants were a little too stiff. I really wanted to find a Bauer Nexus 600 but they didn't have any in stock in my size (couldn't find 400 either) since those have the same fit profile as the Supreme One 40s that I am trying to replace.

Ended up settling on the Tacks 2052. Padding is better than my old pants and they're nice and maneuverable. Looking forward to trying them out.