Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KillHour posted:

I'm sorry 100,000 people a year have bad taste?

When Lincoln has more modern designs than you do, you're hosed.

Edit: I tried really hard to find a luxury crossover that didn't have aluminum (or fake silvery plastic) in the interior. No such luck.

Ah yes the hard plastic everywhere design for a 'luxury' car. Also its crashing into a construction site, might want to watch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Uncle Jam posted:

Ah yes the hard plastic everywhere design for a 'luxury' car. Also its crashing into a construction site, might want to watch out.

there was no Farmer's Market nearby

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm on the same page. I feel like brown as a whole is underused in cars today. And I mean straight up strong brown, not beige. I want some MUTHAFUCKIN POOP looking interior!

All the other luxury carmakers have been offering saddle brown interiors since the last gen. Also red leather is getting more popular. But that red stitching is still ugly, red and brown don't really work well together and red stitching in general is kind of bad unless it's done rather sparingly as an accent (and even then only on like the sports trims)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

But that red stitching is still ugly, red and brown don't really work well together

Kirk Johnson would disagree with you

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Speaking of Lexus, how does their upcoming no-haggle pricing work?

Do they set a price below msrp
or do they just charge msrp and the salesman puts their fingers in their ears when you want to talk price?

I hate haggling, but I really don't understand how no haggle pricing benefits the consumer?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

or do they just charge msrp and the salesman puts their fingers in their ears when you want to talk price?

I hate haggling, but I really don't understand how no haggle pricing benefits the consumer?

Spoiler: It probably doesn't.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KillHour posted:

I'm sorry 100,000 people a year have bad taste?

When Lincoln has more modern designs than you do, you're hosed.

Edit: I tried really hard to find a luxury crossover that didn't have aluminum (or fake silvery plastic) in the interior. No such luck.

Reminder: this car costs $20k:

And has a better interior than any of the ones posted the last couple pages.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

smooth jazz posted:

It probably doesn't, but gently caress haggling. Tell me how much something costs, if I don't like the price I don't buy it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This is loving hideous, but it's still locked in a deathmatch with the most bulbous, gaudiest SUV in production today:

It's like a Right Whale hosed a Pathfinder.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

This is loving hideous, but it's still locked in a deathmatch with the most bulbous, gaudiest SUV in production today:

Nope, it's a beluga whale on wheels.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

fknlo posted:

Nope, it's a beluga whale on wheels.

Belugas are relatively lithe for the whale world--which would never apply to the GX80.

Right Whale really hits the nail on the head:

Unwieldy. Confusing to the eye.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Reminder: this car costs $20k:

And has a better interior than any of the ones posted the last couple pages.

That's all well and good, but will it be a rusty piece of poo poo before the lease expires?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LeeMajors posted:

You can tell this is aimed at the US market...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Picked this up yesterday for the wife.

Well, its the one we ordered back in April and just arrived yesterday. Seriously, it's a drat nice car for the money. Got it for right around $23k (under invoice, didn't even need the X-plan pricing I'd had ready) but it's loaded to the gills. Quality feels much higher than our outgoing Fiesta had.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

CornHolio posted:

Well, its the one we ordered back in April and just arrived yesterday. Seriously, it's a drat nice car for the money. Got it for right around $23k (under invoice, didn't even need the X-plan pricing I'd had ready) but it's loaded to the gills. Quality feels much higher than our outgoing Fiesta had.

Why did it take so long for a Focus? What was on the build sheet?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mr-Spain posted:

Why did it take so long for a Focus? What was on the build sheet?

I imagine the manual transmission had a bit to do with it, especially in a higher-content car. The one we test drove had no options (and manual rear windows, holy poo poo). Ours is a titanium with no other options except the cold weather package (heated steering wheel and seats).

Seriously, I'm amazed at how nice the shifter feels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Frank Dillinger posted:

Lexus is for people born without taste.

The LS is a car for people with extremely discerning taste.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LeeMajors posted:

Whenever I see these I'm actually impressed at how ugly they are. It took real effort to make it look that bad, and I have to respect that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The LS is a car for people with extremely discerning taste.

Lol if you chose this over an A8 or S-class.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CornHolio posted:

I imagine the manual transmission had a bit to do with it, especially in a higher-content car. The one we test drove had no options (and manual rear windows, holy poo poo). Ours is a titanium with no other options except the cold weather package (heated steering wheel and seats).

Seriously, I'm amazed at how nice the shifter feels.

Very nice. I like the updated auto dual zone hvac control panel. I miss mine :allears:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The LS is a car for people with extremely disconcerting taste.

fixed

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

Very nice. I like the updated auto dual zone hvac control panel. I miss mine :allears:

The one thing I don't like is that (probably since we didn't get nav) one of the MyTouch screens is the HVAC controls, which are all...also...right below the screen...

Kind of silly redundancy but I guess it's better than an empty quadrant on the screen.

Anybody know when MyTouch3 is coming for the Focus, by the way? I'm pretty happy with the 2 but am curious.

It's also interesting that the car can connect to a local wifi (like in my garage) and update and/or install apps, I wonder what apps are available from Ford and if updating the existing MyTouch system is something that they'll allow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Lol if you chose this over an A8 or S-class.

Some people don't like getting Christmas cards from their dealership, I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A long time ago I worked in the styling department at Lexus. The phone rang. On the other end was high-performance Japanese, which I didn't speak. I made vaguely affirmative noises whenever the voice paused for emphasis, and then hung up.

Little did I know what I had unleashed.

The next month, spy photographs started coming out. Giant mouths lapping the Nurburgring, dazzle-camouflaged incisors and molars sticking out at ridiculous angles. I went up two floors, visited Ted in counter-intelligence. Was this the new BMW 6-Series Jaw Coupe we had heard so much about? The one with eight doors?

No, said Ted, that one's ours. He beckoned me out of his office, made me close the door behind me. I could see him bent over his desk, body wracked with sobs.

I was cold and distant for the rest of the day. My company masseuse said that I felt tense, but I didn't want to listen to Sven on this. He had led me astray on a deal with Subaru years previous, and I somehow felt like he was a double agent working against me even at the best of times.

Finally we were invited to the docks. That morning, my daughter had fallen ill and refused to leave the house. I was late to work, and I knew that I had picked up some form of her sickness, forged in the crucible that is a child's immune system. But maybe that low feeling in my gut was some greater power's way of warning me away from what happened that day.

The man from Japan was small, prim, proper, neat, all angles and excitement. He bounced a little in his wingtips as he crossed the floor to reveal the new Lexus SUV, the one that we would bust our asses to sell, the one that my family's success would depend on, for 2016.

They pulled the sheet back.

Memories of every cop drama I'd ever seen flashed back. The victim attending the morgue to look under the sheet, identify the dessicated or impaled corpse of their loved one. The tears, the rage, the sadness. Why didn't the authorities do anything? They were supposed to protect us from things like this.

A sudden awful realization sent my gut into freefall. I was the authority. I was supposed to protect us from things like this.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 11, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LeeMajors posted:

entered a parking lot behind a person in one of these. they hit two curbs and parked in 4 spots because they have absolutely no idea how to drive a vehicle that large. they're going to feel safer in it instead of a car right up until it flips over.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

go3 posted:

entered a parking lot behind a person in one of these. they hit two curbs and parked in 4 spots because they have absolutely no idea how to drive a vehicle that large. they're going to feel safer in it instead of a car right up until it flips over.

Drove to Asheville last week and saw about 50 kf these ugly fuckers.

My favorite was the one with TN plates that blew past me doing 95 or so. Chock full of fat people.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Frank Dillinger posted:

That's all well and good, but will it be a rusty piece of poo poo before the lease expires?

No

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

smooth jazz posted:

From what I've read, the dealer sets the price, and that's the price. It can be above MSRP, MSRP, below MSRP, but the price is clearly marked and that's the price. It's supposed to remove a stress point from the transaction I guess.

I'm curious as to why Lexus is going down this road, they already protect the existing dealership network's territory really well. There's only 1 company in San Antonio that sells Lexus, 1 in Austin, and 2 in Houston. It's not hard for the 4 possible dealers I could reasonably shop to collude to keep pricing at a reasonable level.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

go3 posted:

That's funny, because it's true. I see a lot of these on roadtrips (we travel I-10 between San Antonio and Baton Rouge about 7 times a year) and the driver is usually doing 85+ and driving very very aggressively. Curb weight on the drat things is between 5600 and 5900 pounds depending on trim, throw another 1000 pounds of people and luggage in there and you have a 7000 pound missile being handled by an asshat.

These things in my area sell for a massive discount which is probably why they're so popular. Same for the Nissan Armadas

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

I drive a Suburban and I love the looks of the QX whale. I don't see any of them around here so maybe that has something to do with it. I also haven't seen the interior but if it's anything like the outside, sign me up. I'm hoping a gently used one falls into my price range when I'm shopping for a suburban replacement. I'm also a fat midwestern american.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

From what I've read, the dealer sets the price, and that's the price. It can be above MSRP, MSRP, below MSRP, but the price is clearly marked and that's the price. It's supposed to remove a stress point from the transaction I guess.

I'm curious as to why Lexus is going down this road, they already protect the existing dealership network's territory really well. There's only 1 company in San Antonio that sells Lexus, 1 in Austin, and 2 in Houston. It's not hard for the 4 possible dealers I could reasonably shop to collude to keep pricing at a reasonable level.

I assume that Lexus will gently caress with dealers that post prices above MSRP, and direct price fixing like you describe would quickly draw regulatory attention.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I wouldn't mind negotiation for the price of a car if dealers had to or would talk about one price.

The games around breaking out a hundred different items and then floating dollars around as they try to sneak something past you is the exhausting part. It also seems to be unique to that experience. You don't buy a house one room at a time. poo poo, even buying a used car from a civilian doesn't work like that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Modus Man posted:

I drive a Suburban and I love the looks of the QX whale. I don't see any of them around here so maybe that has something to do with it. I also haven't seen the interior but if it's anything like the outside, sign me up. I'm hoping a gently used one falls into my price range when I'm shopping for a suburban replacement. I'm also a fat midwestern american.

It's sort of bulbous but nowhere near as offensive and weirdly proportioned as that Lexus, which rather too blatantly looks like a bad body-kit on a Land Cruiser.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

I wouldn't mind negotiation for the price of a car if dealers had to or would talk about one price.

The games around breaking out a hundred different items and then floating dollars around as they try to sneak something past you is the exhausting part. It also seems to be unique to that experience. You don't buy a house one room at a time. poo poo, even buying a used car from a civilian doesn't work like that.

All dealers are different, but I had good luck when we bought our new car last year in telling the salesman "We're only interested in discussing OTD price, monthly payment is irrelevant".

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

Condolences on living in the rust belt, I guess?

If I try really hard, I could probably find a Mazda locally with some rust on it, provided it's 20-30 years old and has unrepaired body damage so that there's a place for rust to grab hold, if that would make you feel better.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Frank Dillinger posted:

Around here there's a saying, "if it ain't rusty it ain't trusty."

Then again it's hillbilly central around here...

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I live in western Canada, which is sort of rust-belly, but I see more rusty Mazda tooling around than anything else. There's no way I'd buy a Mazda 3, for example, because literally every one I see that's 5 years old is rusting. Too bad, because they're great looking cars and I want one :(

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mazda had issues with inadequate rust-proofing for a while but it was resolved several years ago.

I wonder if the new Civic will be good enough to bring Honda back to their late-90's/early-00's glory years; the current generation of compacts is the first time in history I'd buy a Corolla over a Civic.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CornHolio posted:

Very nice looking car. The HVAC controls are still on your MFT because losers with the 2014 Focus like me don't have any of those physical HVAC controls below. I'm surprised how much more expensive they got, our 2014 Titanium with the handling package, summer tires, and nav was $18k!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CornHolio posted:

A little late, but I'm a Toyota whore and this makes me really question my hard-won, lifelong biases. Great looking car.

And manual :stwoon: