Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

If I had one of the affected models right now, I'd dump the ECU software / calibrations for affected systems such that you could revert any 'mandatory' recall flashes and such. Who cares if they re-flash it if you just flash it back :getin:

Maybe a couple of other modules in-case there's some version checking at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

movax posted:

If I had one of the affected models right now, I'd dump the ECU software / calibrations for affected systems such that you could revert any 'mandatory' recall flashes and such. Who cares if they re-flash it if you just flash it back :getin:

I'll tell you this much, this is going to make Malone Tuning happy.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

movax posted:

You're welcome to my A3 if you have the necessary tools...

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That is! The complaint covers the non-AdBlue cars.

Do you have a source on this? I'm reading conflicting information.

I have a 2015 GSW...

via
Dec 14, 2013
They can trade me a '15 GSW for my '14 JSW. It's not like they're going to be selling them to any new customers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Withnail posted:

Do you have a source on this? I'm reading conflicting information.

I have a 2015 GSW...

You are in the clear, but the EPA is refusing to certify any NEW TDIs DEF or not until this is cleared.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

You are in the clear, but the EPA is refusing to certify any NEW TDIs DEF or not until this is cleared.

Related: http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/in_use_compliance_letter.htm

They increase dose under testing conditions but with time it dials it back and then it is no longer passing emissions.

Even their urea-equipped cars were cheating. gently caress you VW.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Related: http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/in_use_compliance_letter.htm

They increase dose under testing conditions but with time it dials it back and then it is no longer passing emissions.

Even their urea-equipped cars were cheating. gently caress you VW.

Would this affect anything besides urea refill intervals?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

movax posted:

Ya i am thinking that if the reflash becomes mandatory just refuse, void your warranty and then go get the dpf and egr deletes and a higher mileage tune.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

I didn't say they were more expensive. I said they are more complex.

How though? A modern TDI isn't exactly simple either.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bizwank posted:

You're welcome to my A3 if you have the necessary tools...

If you're in or near Seattle, sure. Crack open the module in question, see which MCU it's using and then dump over JTAG or similar and see what code security measures were used, if any. When I was in the industry, we never bothered -- chances of attack were low and it wasn't worth our time in validation to implement measures to prevent it.

Maybe if it isn't too late (probably is already) I'll troll CL around here for a dead / junked model that didn't have the relevant modules scavenged already.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Whoops. Emphasis mine. This is massive.

quote:

FRANKFURT — Volkswagen said on Tuesday that 11 million diesel cars worldwide were equipped with the same software that was used to cheat on emissions tests in the United States. The company issued a de facto profit warning because of the costs of repairing vehicles to comply with pollution standards.

The statement was the carmaker’s first admission that diesel cars outside the United States may have the software that led the Environmental Protection Agency to accuse the carmaker of deliberately evading pollution tests. Previously, the company had acknowledged only that the problem affected about 500,000 vehicles in the United States.

Volkswagen said it would set aside 6.5 billion euros, or about $7.3 billion, to cover the cost of servicing the affected vehicles “and other efforts to win back the trust of our customers.” The money would be booked in the third quarter, Volkswagen said.

The German carmaker said that “a noticeable deviation between bench-test results and actual road use was established” for 11 million so-called Type EA 189 engines.

Other diesel cars made by the company have the same engine management software, but it has no effect, Volkswagen said.

The number of cars involved suggests that the scale of the damage to Volkswagen’s reputation and its financial standing may be even greater than thought, and cover cars sold around the world, not just in the United States.

The diesel cars were programmed to sense when emissions were being tested, and to turn on equipment that reduced emissions, according to United States officials. At other times, the cars had better fuel economy and performance, but produced as much as 40 times the allowed amounts of nitrogen oxide, a pollutant that can contribute to respiratory problems including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema.

“Volkswagen is working intensely to eliminate these deviations through technical measures,” the company said.

“Earnings targets for the group for 2015 will be adjusted accordingly,” Volkswagen said.

The E.P.A. has ordered Volkswagen to recall almost a half-million vehicles sold in the United States from 2009 to 2015. The affected Golf, Passat, Jetta and Beetle cars were equipped with 2-liter diesel engines.

Volkswagen has halted sales of cars with the engines in the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/business/international/volkswagen-diesel-car-scandal.html

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Would this affect anything besides urea refill intervals?

I don't know a ton about modern diesels but I would imagine that's the only issue. Of course they probably charge an arm and a leg for the refill service since its vw.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeah, it's just getting bigger and bigger. VW has to be hoping that everyone else is doing this and that this will come out really soon or they're in for a really rough time. Lot's of "BUY VW STOCK AT $X PRICE" going around, but I'd be weary unless some other manufacturers get caught up in this too.

e: Winterkorn out, being replaced by Mueller from Porsche

That was fast.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 22, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If they haven't figured out how to fix it on new vehicles in 7 years, even with SCR on the 2015/16 models, what chance is there that a retrofit is practical or even possible? I have to imagine that if it were possible to get compliant emissions without completely gimping the engine, causing excessive wear/buildup, or completely trashing mileage they would have done so instead of continuing to implement the defeat system. That leads me to wonder if the 2.0 just isn't capible of meeting the emissions standards and remaining drivable.

Even if the defeat mechanism only cut egr then you're looking at more carbon buildup and regeneration cycles which can't be good for the turbo, all in exchange for shittier performance and reduced fuel economy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

How though? A modern TDI isn't exactly simple either.

Actually, no, even CRDs are pretty simple. Because you are not having to deal with intense computer control to prevent the fuel from destroying your engine. Direct Injection gas motors are incredibly precise, even more so than diesels.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

fknlo posted:

Yeah, it's just getting bigger and bigger. VW has to be hoping that everyone else is doing this and that this will come out really soon or they're in for a really rough time. Lot's of "BUY VW STOCK AT $X PRICE" going around, but I'd be weary unless some other manufacturers get caught up in this too.

e: Winterkorn out, being replaced by Mueller from Porsche

That was fast.

Had a smoke this morning with our chief engineer (automotive manufacturer).

He was laughing his rear end off. These guys hosed up, *very* badly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just a reminder, but Europe and the US have -very- different rules about diesel emissions.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4567/4330313/

Also, the chicken tax needs to go away.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

veedubfreak posted:

Just a reminder, but Europe and the US have -very- different rules about diesel emissions.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4567/4330313/

Also, the chicken tax needs to go away.

engineer mentioned something about Euro-something 1 to 6 for emissions (diesel)

Japan always in front (6.1) or something. (They're always ahead with this kind of poo poo)

We are 2 (can drive around in a tank)

US is 5, and think EU is 5 also.

You have the build by that spec, its like a template.

We also build EU vehicles, they've got to comply to 5(?), so more cat etc

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So when should I start buying VW stock?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

No. 6 posted:

Don't put money in the automotive industry, ever. That's what my department boss said, he made a loving KILLING after 2008 though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

No. 6 posted:

Been wondering that myself too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The attorney that writes on Jalaopnik chimed in with advice for people with affected cars. tl;dr: wait and see.

http://jalopnik.com/what-should-i-do-if-im-a-volkswagen-tdi-owner-1732101892

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

neckbeard posted:

Been wondering that myself too

Put your house on it.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

bluegoon posted:

Don't put money in the automotive industry, ever. That's what my department boss said, he made a loving KILLING after 2008 though.

I bought Ford at $2. Doing ok.

I´m still trying to find a conherent explanation of the emissions implications of DEF vs non DEF TDIs...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going to be moving from my '03 1.8 to a '16... 1.8 so I don't give a rip about the diesel stuff unless it gets me a discount.

Come burn some gasoline with me! :getin:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You really want to avoid Eurozone companies for the most part right now if you're investing, regardless of whether or not VW is "cheap" (also it's not).

This story just keeps getting more and more bizarre, apparently the board has already decided to fire the CEO and he'll be gone shortly.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

movax posted:

If you're in or near Seattle, sure. Crack open the module in question, see which MCU it's using and then dump over JTAG or similar and see what code security measures were used, if any. When I was in the industry, we never bothered -- chances of attack were low and it wasn't worth our time in validation to implement measures to prevent it.
I am in Seattle but I don't know what any of those other words mean.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Also someone tried to guesstimate at how many people the excess emissions has killed and came up with with a range of 5-25 deaths for cars driven in Southern California over the past five years:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/09/wtf-volkswgen

https://www.motherjones.com/files/vw_nox_deaths.xls

Very unscientific and speculative of course.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Also someone tried to guesstimate at how many people the excess emissions has killed and came up with with a range of 5-25 deaths for cars driven in Southern California over the past five years:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/09/wtf-volkswgen

https://www.motherjones.com/files/vw_nox_deaths.xls

Very unscientific and speculative of course.

Not nearly enough if we're talking about Californians.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's far less than fast food but we arent declaring war on Big Macs

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 22, 2015

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

At least the EPA is redirecting all that heat from dumping millions of gallons of arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury into the Colorado river by hitting at VW.

You know I'm really starting to think the EPA might not be the only with a "political agenda"!

TorpedoBeetle
Jan 23, 2004
Goon Justice
420-everyday

FUCK TELLTALE
GAMES
I've got a 2012 Passat TDI, which is not (as of yet) listed as one of the affected vehicles, since it has the AdBlue system. But I see that the 2014-15 Passats are affected; did they remove AdBlue from those model years?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The defeat code is not limited to DPF vehicles, it effects everything with a EA189 engine in it. One of the two test vehicles that kicked this thing off was a new Passat with an AdBlue system.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 16, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Armchair financial advice: just get some index funds and sit on them. They routinely out preform experts in the long run and, face it, you're no expert.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

go3 posted:

It's far less than fast food but we arent declaring war on Big Macs

Probably because McDonald's doesn't lie about their nutrition info.

Uthor posted:

Armchair financial advice: just get some index funds and sit on them. They routinely out preform experts in the long run and, face it, you're no expert.

Yea, and in particular you'd have to be really dumb to try and time vw stock right now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tsa posted:

Probably because McDonald's doesn't lie about their nutrition info.

Yeah but in the grand scheme of things, the cars that VW produces are still fine on the environment in contrast to most vehicles on the road today. They must be well above average. McDonalds on the other hand is some of the worst food for you available. So this is actually more like Subway putting a little bit less salt in their sandwiches. At the end of the day, a subway sandwich is less harmful to the body than >50% of other options.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's just a pinch of arsenic every day, what's the harm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

It's just a pinch of arsenic every day, what's the harm?

It's a huge improvement over the shotglass of arsenic represented by the people driving SUV's and trucks. If someone has the energy to be upset about something as globally unimportant as this VW emissions thing they should guide it toward lobbying for industry to limit it's carbon footprint.