Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

time for lesnik to demand a bunch of money or else he leaves. That would gently caress cig up if he left and he should be able to squeeze a cool million out of them.

But that's 1/8th of what they have left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ha ha, oh man that letter. Thank you Star Citizen thread.

Never a better argument for the merits of those evil publishers after all.

quote:

Every time a big public company pushes out a game quickly to make the holiday season everyone laments about lack of ambition and taking the audience for granted. Here you have a 100% gamer funded project on the PC, a platform that almost every publisher ignored or pushed crappy console ports to and you have a game in a genre that everyone said was dead to a level that no publisher would dare to – and you want to harm it?

Escapist killed PC gaming

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

But that's 1/8th of what they have left!
His weight is 1/8th of the total weight of people they haven't fired yet.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

You're a loving idiot.

All I'm saying is "ethics in the gaming industry" and "woman hating" has a rather conspicuous and recurrent overlap

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How are they still going to have a con after this? Every single movement will be asking about question Smart/Escapist have brought up.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jst0rm posted:

time for lesnik to demand a bunch of money or else he leaves. That would gently caress cig up if he left and he should be able to squeeze a cool million out of them.

That would be impossible, Lesnick lives from the saliva of Chris Roberts

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
lmao if they only have 8 million at this point. This thing will be over in 6 months if that is true.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Irrational Man posted:

all this Sandi hate makes me think the gamergate connection is not as tenuous as it sounds

Read this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

And proceed to feel stupid.

And to preempt any bullshit denial from you, yes - it's so very likely that 7-9 people, all confirmed to be different persons, all got together and made all of that up and that a journo site (even if a gaming one) thought it solid enough to run it as such. :ironicat:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BexGu posted:

How are they still going to have a con after this? Every single movement will be asking about question Smart/Escapist have brought up.

They can probably get one last good take from the con so there's no real reason not to.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Madcosby posted:

Chris' response is to call the Escapist another D Smart mouth, then to try to diminish D Smart, then try to call the escapist author a gamergater (I dont know what that means)

Creating strawmen is the weakest agreement possible and the only one he has. Even if everything he said was true about Escapist and the author it does nothing to say he didn't do any of thing outlined in the article.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BexGu posted:

They'll never cancel the con

Citizen Con is long

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

They did not just use Glassdoor as their source?

lol if you think glass door and derek smart aren't their source. Just lol

fake edit: Jesus christ that CR response is long. Does anyone have a TL;DR, I'm not going to read that.

peter gabriel posted:

They are pretty much having a drunken shouting match on their front lawn at this point

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This is the greatest thing. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think Croberts would be this loving stupid, but here we are. Thank you imaginary space ships

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

Read this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

And proceed to feel stupid.

And to preempt any bullshit denial from you, yes - it's so very likely that 7-9 people, all confirmed to be different persons, all got together and made all of that up and that a journo site (even if a gaming one) thought it solid enough to run it as such. :ironicat:

I don't know, like croberts said, there are two sides to every story. It does not seem outside the realm of possibiity that Sandi was a target of malicious rumors, especially when the gaming industry has been known to struggle with misogyny. A former employee could easily drum a lot of sympathy on the basis of shared prejudice against women in gaming.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

fake edit: Jesus christ that CR response is long. Does anyone have a TL;DR, I'm not going to read that.

your imaginary space ship just sailed

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey now. That's not really a fair comparison. Nazi harpies were probably crucial in putting BMW engines in Messerschmitts and constructing some fairly spiffy motorways. All she's done is drive one of the worst BMWs ever built on top of some filed-down sandstone.

They also play an important role in a number of hilarious *sploitation movies from the '70s — she's not quite there yet…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 1, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:cry: I hope I get a refund, I am such a loving idiot. I just like spaceship games :cry:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Madcosby posted:

Citizen Con is long

I know they won't but how delusional can they be cause the whole thing will be a bunch of disgruntle nerds asking more and more question. Unless this is a way to get a bunch of dissenters in the same room and pull of some Night of the Long Knives poo poo.

God let this end with Chris Roberts pulling a Heaven's Gate/a Sandi blow up on stage.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Irrational Man posted:

All I'm saying is "ethics in the gaming industry" and "woman hating" has a rather conspicuous and recurrent overlap

I think most people are far more troubled about her being a short tempered racist than being a woman. If it was a man that pulled the same poo poo it would still be uncalled for.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Irrational Man posted:

I don't know, like croberts said, there are two sides to every story. It does not seem outside the realm of possibiity that Sandi was a target of malicious rumors, especially when the gaming industry has been known to struggle with misogyny. A former employee could easily drum a lot of sympathy on the basis of shared prejudice against women in gaming.

7 to 9 former employees*

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BexGu posted:

I know they won't but how delusional can they be cause the whole thing will be a bunch of disgruntle nerds asking more and more question. Unless this is a way to get a bunch of dissenters in the same room and pull of some Night of the Long Knives poo poo.

God let this end with Chris Roberts pulling a Heaven's Gate/a Sandi blow up on stage.

i was trying to make a joke off of the word con

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Truga posted:

Keep the faith citizen. He invokes the name of SMART like 10x more than is needed to summon him and also brings Gamer Gate into the discussion. Then he provides the following solid refutation of the provable claims within:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Truga posted:

You're all jelly. Smart's a dick. Ex-employees with axes to grind. Doing something nobody has done before. Author of article is bad and acting as mouthpiece for smart (gamergate stuff as proof). Why are you being so mean when we are just trying to make a game. Some more stuff I forgot.

also this quote.

Chris Roberts posted:

The only person who is famous for being a blowhard, bully, an awful game developer and human being is Derek Smart.

Any bets on how long until Smart threatens to sue for libel?

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

BadOptics posted:

I think most people are far more troubled about her being a short tempered racist than being a woman. If it was a man that pulled the same poo poo it would still be uncalled for.

alleged racist

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I'm too busy to read all this, remember if you see something funny, screenshot it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

The only way I can think of Derek Smart being 'their source' is if he directed all the ex-employees crying to him to go to The Escapist, since they've expressed interest in running a story.

I mean...I know we're talking about gaming journo sites here that are the bottom rung, but in the end even they'd find it hard to justify running a story like this if they weren't sure they were talking to 7-9 people who definitely once worked at CIG.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Jst0rm posted:

lmao if they only have 8 million at this point. This thing will be over in 6 months if that is true.

To be able to reach the current point, everything DS said about CR and vice versa all have to be true. It's like winning a vegas parlay, we got here hitting every single mis-management rumor. It'd be weird if the 8mil rumor wasn't true.

HKS fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 1, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

Citizen Con is long

Roberts is going to get shanked ala Caesar during the convention and his final words will be "Actually, it's about ethics in games journalism."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

:cry: I hope I get a refund, I am such a loving idiot. I just like spaceship games :cry:

:(

I'll contact you over Steam when my own refund comes through, if yours never does.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

The TLDR of robert's response is 'This rant is circumstantial corroboration of everything that article says by way of my incompetence'.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Irrational Man posted:

alleged racist

when she tried to sing the german national anthem she sang the nazi one instead

like, she knew the words to the nazi national anthem

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BadOptics posted:

Needs to go into the OP tbh.

The OP has been updated with far more relevant information

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well done and appropriate.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:bravo:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Irrational Man posted:

alleged racist

I applaud your attempt at neutrality (seriously). But, what would you accept as proof, if multiple matching independent statements from more than 5 people (presumably interviewed separately, by email) aren't enough? It is a fact that they buried any mention of her and Chris being married. It's also a fact that they hosted unrelated theater readings at their offices specifically for her. It's a fact that something happened the day after Derek Smart leaked the Jennison letter, and four or five people were immediately fired or quit- and the person leaking the info to DS also added the same kind of description as was seen in the article, of her shouting profanities and accusing people of being traitors.

Is she going to have to come to your house and poo poo on your porch? Like, what is the standard of evidence you will accept?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i'm guessing the queue for refunds has gotten a lot longer over the past hour.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Madcosby posted:

The longer this goes on, the more this feels like a parody of a game studio, like something you'd see in GTA.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Madcosby posted:

this was probably more of an innocent mistake whereby she just wanted to look smart and copied what she saw one time on the history channel, without realizing the difference. If it even happened at all. I mean really, "she's a racist" is the most obvious attempt to deflect culpability on the part of the accuser because it ostensibly suggests they're concerned with these sorts of issues and thus cannot be sexist. When in fact, they're probably just sexist. I mean what's harder to believe. Gamers are misogynist or Sandi sits at home practicing the nazi anthem? The fact that people would prefer to believe the latter just proves how far feminism has to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

"Mr. Roberts, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

• Locked thread