Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

After I got mine a guy asked when I was going to slam it, and didn't quite understand why I wouldn't.

He meant slamming it into a tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Aenslaed posted:

What about alloy rims vs steelies? Obviously the cost savings are significant with steelies but are there legitimate issues of snow getting wedged in there causing problems?

You want steelies so you can put a set of these on.

Edit: Or these

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GutBomb posted:

Edit: Or these

Those aren't steelies.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I assumed it was so ridiculous it had to be a cheap hubcap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GutBomb posted:

I assumed it was so ridiculous it had to be a cheap hubcap.

Nope!

http://www.ronalwheels.co.uk/alloy-wheels/urs-teddy-2/urs-teddy-silver/

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nitrox posted:

He meant slamming it into a tree

If that was what he meant, I'd have much more respect for him

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Brother bought a frs and is asking about cosworth fa20 mods that they had on the one on top gear.

http://www.cosworth.com/products/power-packages/fa20-platform/stage-2-power-package-range/

Have you guys heard anything about it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's expensive as gently caress. Stage 1.3 kit plus stage 2 kit plus tuning is like 14k usd. And you gain "60-80hp"

Where are you guys? I or someone else could probably recommend a good tuning shop to work with.

Although if he really wants a cosworth supercharger I could probably save him a few bucks on the parts.

edit: HKS supercharger is under 4k.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2015

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I bought myself one of the Hyper Blue BRZs. Really fun car to drive. I owned a bone-stock '86 Corolla GTS for a while before the whole drift scene got super popular, and I feel nostalgic driving the BRZ. It's everything fun about the AE86, but 30 years more refined.

Gotta buy snow tires soon. Yay.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I installed a rear view camera in my '15 today. It went pretty well, I had to get a custom harness but it was pretty much plug and play with my head unit.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Where did you install the camera? I had mine on the little panel above the license plate where you think a button would be to open the trunk.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GutBomb posted:

Where did you install the camera? I had mine on the little panel above the license plate where you think a button would be to open the trunk.

To the left of that piece of trim (the exact opposite of the trunk lock). There's actually a faint outline of the factory camera there, for some reason they just never installed it. I couldn't put it in the middle because I have the trunk button.

It's slightly cocked to the side when I put it in reverse, but I used the super duper secret menu to adjust the parking lines. I'm mainly using it to check for kids/dogs anyway.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 31, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AFewBricksShy posted:

I installed a rear view camera in my '15 today. It went pretty well, I had to get a custom harness but it was pretty much plug and play with my head unit.

What head unit do you have? I backup camera would be nice in this car.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mine looks like this:

The watermark is where I got the harness I needed to do the install as well. The camera I used was a Rydeen.

All in it cost me about $140 and 2 hours of time.
$100 - Camera - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GQTYG3Q
$30 - Harness http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16-pin.htm
And some connectors and heat shrink made up the rest.

I followed the install directions from this page:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32452

Although I routed mine through the center console rather than around the driver's side.

So now my list of small things to do to the car looks like this:
Center Console Cover
Backup Camera
Tint Windows
Winter Tires - I already have the wheels, I just need the tires themselves.
Rerout USB port into glove box

I'll crosspost this here, in case someone reads this thread but not the subaru one:

Speaking of snow tires, I have a quick question:

I have a '15 BRZ. I have a leftover set of Enkei EKM3's from my old LGT and I'm going to put some snow tires on them and use them in the winter. I'm planning on getting Blizzak WS80's, if anyone has any input on those.

However my question is regarding the TPMS sensors. The Enkei's have sensors already. When I swap the wheels for the winter, am I going to have to have the TPMS sensors reinitialized from the factory ones, or will they work automatically? I got them from Tirerack in '10 if that matters.

If they have to be reinitialized, will that have to be done at the dealer, or will I be able to get the tire place to do it?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 31, 2015

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I should really install a backup camera.

WS80 are amazing I have a set. I would recommend them to anyone in the midwest or northeast.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Calidus posted:

I should really install a backup camera.

WS80 are amazing I have a set. I would recommend them to anyone in the midwest or northeast.

It really wasn't bad at all. The biggest pain in the rear end was running the wire.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Seen today, the plate on a douchebag slammed Evo

LOL@FRS

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

dupersaurus posted:

LOL@FRS

There's a Genesis here in Phoenix with a FRS-LOL plate.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Those plates own.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

LOL@FRS

slammed evo that is still multiple times faster than an FR-S so it fits I guess.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Laserface posted:

slammed evo that is still multiple times more expensive than an FR-S so it fits I guess.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How's the trunk space with the back seats folded? Can I fit a 2x turntable DJ coffin in the back? Not even kidding with this question

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

How's the trunk space with the back seats folded? Can I fit a 2x turntable DJ coffin in the back? Not even kidding with this question

Trivially. You could fit golf bags back there or a full set of tires.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

AFewBricksShy posted:

The camera I used was a Rydeen.

I love the fact the company is named after a loving sweet synthpop track from 1979. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFu66ye6YWM

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Solkanar512 posted:

stock FiST that is still faster and cheaper than an FR-S so it fits I guess.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Linux Nazi posted:

There's a Genesis here in Phoenix with a FRS-LOL plate.
There was an Evo around my town with WRX-SUX. A person I know who had a WRX put that dude to a challenge, and got hosed. Obviously it had some aftermarket work done on it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Didn't some magazine take a BRZ to a track event with proper tires more equivalent to what hot hatches like the ST have, and it ended up being faster than the FWD cars?

I seriously believe that if these cars had launched shod with proper performance tires that, due to multiple factors, they would have sold much better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Performance tires in those sizes are like $200 a piece. What boy racer would take a test drive and decide that he would not cough up another 800 for tires?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My local Toyota dealer still had a new old stock 2014 frs manual on the lot and only wanted 21k for it. My FiST lease is up in January so I've been shopping around.

I can't even believe how slow it was, just no balls at all, completely gutless, like a corolla all the way to redline. gently caress were they thinking with that engine :negative:

Please make a turbo damnit :( Handling and shifting was pretty good but that engine just completely ruined the experience. Sounded like poo poo and really rough running.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Voltage posted:

My local Toyota dealer still had a new old stock 2014 frs manual on the lot and only wanted 21k for it. My FiST lease is up in January so I've been shopping around.

I can't even believe how slow it was, just no balls at all, completely gutless, like a corolla all the way to redline. gently caress were they thinking with that engine :negative:

Please make a turbo damnit :( Handling and shifting was pretty good but that engine just completely ruined the experience. Sounded like poo poo and really rough running.

How many miles did it have on it? You aren't suppose to take it over 4k rmps for the first 1k miles. You have to rev it up over 6k rpm and you have to take it though some corners to really experience it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Calidus posted:

How many miles did it have on it? You aren't suppose to take it over 4k rmps for the first 1k miles. You have to rev it up over 6k rpm and you have to take it though some corners to really experience it.

You aren't supposed to as part of the break in but that doesn't change the power it is putting down. If he's driving it to redline at 1 mile or 100k it won't matter.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I really can't take these complaints about lack of power seriously. Gutless? Really? Come on.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Car preference is a supremely individual choice and people expect different things from their cars than others? :shrug: But I generally don't get people getting internet angry over things, but the level at which people get internet angry over the twins is especially baffling (says the guy that might defect to a FiST soon)

That said, I finally took mine out to some mountain roads last weekend and holy hell did it eat them up. Even just doing the Blue Ridge Parkway at 40 was a blast.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Solkanar512 posted:

I really can't take these complaints about lack of power seriously. Gutless? Really? Come on.

By what comparison is it not gutless? Someone who is looking at the twins probably wants a cheap, fun, new car. They're going to go drive some hot hatches, and probably the pony cars, because that's a shortlist of fun to drive stuff under $30k. The BRZ/FRS ends up feeling really down on power no matter which of those options you test drove right before it. I was in this place a couple years ago, and it came down to a BRZ or a V6 Mustang, and I'm 40k miles deep on the Mustang and pretty happy right now.

The hot hatches like a Focus ST, WRX, and GTI are going to have a little more power than the twins, and a lot more torque. The V6 and Turbo 4 pony cars (Mustang, Camaro, Genesis Coupe) are going to have a bunch more power and torque. These aren't even fiddly little bench racer differences that don't matter in the real world, it's a huge difference in what happens and what you feel when you open the throttle.

For better or for worse, the BRZ / FRS's only substantially similar competitor is the Miata, and as of 2016 even that is faster.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Twerk from Home posted:

By what comparison is it not gutless? Someone who is looking at the twins probably wants a cheap, fun, new car. They're going to go drive some hot hatches, and probably the pony cars, because that's a shortlist of fun to drive stuff under $30k. The BRZ/FRS ends up feeling really down on power no matter which of those options you test drove right before it. I was in this place a couple years ago, and it came down to a BRZ or a V6 Mustang, and I'm 40k miles deep on the Mustang and pretty happy right now.

The hot hatches like a Focus ST, WRX, and GTI are going to have a little more power than the twins, and a lot more torque. The V6 and Turbo 4 pony cars (Mustang, Camaro, Genesis Coupe) are going to have a bunch more power and torque. These aren't even fiddly little bench racer differences that don't matter in the real world, it's a huge difference in what happens and what you feel when you open the throttle.

For better or for worse, the BRZ / FRS's only substantially similar competitor is the Miata, and as of 2016 even that is faster.

Don't try to reason with them, they'll just get angrier and louder. You'll either hear how more power would destroy the enjoyability vis a vis the vehicle driving dynamics, or how Toyota/Subaru would've had to have made the car $10K more to put a turbo on it.

Solkanar512: The Twins are practically the definition of "gutless", especially with the much-maligned 4K torque dip. They just feel like they're struggling to attain and maintain nearly any speed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sigma X posted:

Don't try to reason with them, they'll just get angrier and louder. You'll either hear how more power would destroy the enjoyability vis a vis the vehicle driving dynamics, or how Toyota/Subaru would've had to have made the car $10K more to put a turbo on it.

Solkanar512: The Twins are practically the definition of "gutless", especially with the much-maligned 4K torque dip. They just feel like they're struggling to attain and maintain nearly any speed.

They were/are SO CLOSE to being truly great too. All the turbo stuff is already figured out too.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Sigma X posted:

I enjoy being able to rev the poo poo out my BRZ while keeping legal speeds. I actually think the car would be more fun to drive with a supercharger for that instant power. If I could a stripper twin with some kinda of FI for 30k it would about perfect. I really wonder how of that is to protect WRX and STI sales numbers.

The torque is a pretty terrible but it much better with a simple tune and aftermarket headers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It could use more power, but calling it gutless and comparing it to a Corolla are hyperbole.

I regularly swap between my 2011 WRX and the 2015 BRZ and I would say that the BRZ only feels marginally slower than the 2002 WRX it replaced.

For all the power the 2011 WRX has, the BRZ feels a fuckton more drivable due to the throttle response. Not feeling like to are sending requests to the engine via telegraph is refreshing.

The BRZ keys are the ones I reach for on most days because it makes the WRX feel boring.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Calidus posted:

I enjoy being able to rev the poo poo out my BRZ while keeping legal speeds.

This is easy as gently caress in literally anything that isn't a supercar. Even on city streets, I can redline the Mustang legally (in 1st gear, mind you...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sigma X posted:

Don't try to reason with them, they'll just get angrier and louder.

This is pretty pathetic dude. I drive this thing on a daily basis, taken it on road trips, up and down mountain roads (Washington State is really awesome for this by the way) and never once have I felt like I was going too slow or that the engine needed more power. That doesn't make me angry or loud.

If you like something else that's perfectly fine, but comparing it to a Camry is really a bit over the top.

• Locked thread