Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

Holy crap Smart!

Wow. Whenever someone says, "You do NOT want to mess with ME. I will gently caress you up!" It immediately makes everyone want to mess with them. :laffo: What a child.

What an incredible mess from every single direction. I look forward to a great week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ragequit posted:

Wow. Whenever someone says, "You do NOT want to mess with ME. I will gently caress you up!" It immediately makes everyone want to mess with them. :laffo: What a child.

I'm sure Smart knows this and realizes getting even more death threats from RSI fans just nakes him look better.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ragequit posted:

What an incredible mess from every single direction. I look forward to a great week.

It's Derek Smart. Engaging him at all was the dumbest possible thing CIG and Croberts could have done.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Derek Smart is good and a very likable guy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's Derek Smarts gimmick to threaten to sue people. He has done this to Somethingawful multiple times and nothing has ever come of it. He has done it to others and nothing has ever come of it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

"I believe this was made by a Battlecruiser 3000 fan" :lol:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's Derek Smart. Engaging him at all was the dumbest possible thing CIG and Croberts could have done.

That's one of the best things about all this, the whole SMARTPLOSION was largely spawned by Lesnick being dumb enough to actually publicly engage him in an official capacity.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

Back in 2012, the prospect of "EVE but with actual gameplay + artemis style multicrew" and a good coop single player campaign was pretty compelling. At least enough to where dropping $250 out of my fun budget towards something I wanted to see happen didn't require a lot of self justification.

There's not much more to it.

But we dont get why you spent more than $60. A pre-order, I suppose, is understandable

but why did you spend more than $60? Do you think game development is your responsibility?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has there been any game that advertises that development is being led by [That One Guy] from [Successful Game You Liked] that wasn't a total trainwreck?

Always seems to be a trainwreck when there is that one guy who makes it as much about them as the game itself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

"I believe this was made by a Battlecruiser 3000 fan" :lol:

That stood out to me as well. Who is this one Battlecruiser 3000 fan?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has there been any game that advertises that development is being led by [That One Guy] from [Successful Game You Liked] that wasn't a total trainwreck?

Always seems to be a trainwreck when there is that one guy who makes it as much about them as the game itself.

Metal Gear Solid V? :P Otherwise you're correct.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I thought that was the coolest game ever when I got the demo disc with it on.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And so on and so on.

Not to be rude, but why the gently caress did you people pay so much for the promise of a virtual spaceship one day in the far future?!
You could buy a drivable toy spaceship for less, in real life! or a hundred good and actually existing games!

I can't wrap my mind around it, I honestly can't.

Autism.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Gwaihir posted:

That's one of the best things about all this, the whole SMARTPLOSION was largely spawned by Lesnick being dumb enough to actually publicly engage him in an official capacity.

This is what is amazing to me. If CIG would have just ignored him, Smart would have eventually gotten bored and went away. Instead they touched the poop.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Derek Smart

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

But we dont get why you spent more than $60. A pre-order, I suppose, is understandable

but why did you spend more than $60? Do you think game development is your responsibility?

You do know what kickstarter is, right?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Did they do the A TOM SCHAEFER GAME thing for psychonauts?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

This is so unbelievable because when I look at Ben Lesnick all I see is a picture of self control.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Metal Gear Solid V? :P Otherwise you're correct.

Sid Meier is consistently great (on the games he actually leads) and Jake Solomon is likely going to be on a two-for-two with XCOM.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pillars of Eternety is really good. Shadowrun is also great, especially Dragonfall.

E: Wasteland 2 is underwhelming, but far from a trainwreck.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

ya that pre-order service with risk

doesnt answer why you need to pay more than $60 for a $60 product

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

:lesnick: Opened the gates.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Madcosby posted:

Gotta be the captain of a big ship.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I pre-ordered it for 60 bucks back when it was supposed to be a cool space shoot em up like freespace and not space second life the do everything simulator and even though I got all of it back I still feel dumb as gently caress for buying it. I can't imagine how people that spent 4 figures or more feel.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wafflz posted:

I pre-ordered it for 60 bucks back when it was supposed to be a cool space shoot em up like freespace and not space second life the do everything simulator and even though I got all of it back I still feel dumb as gently caress for buying it. I can't imagine how people that spent 4 figures or more feel.

Maybe octopode can weigh in with a nonsensical wall of text.

Assuming he isn't swaying from his rafters.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I spent all my families christmas gift money on star citizen but they were cool with it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alchenar posted:

Sid Meier is consistently great (on the games he actually leads) and Jake Solomon is likely going to be on a two-for-two with XCOM.

Sure, but personality counts a fair bit in all these cases. Firaxis just generally doesn't have that much of an ego thing going internally, at least from what I can tell. Watch any interview with Jake Solomon and he's completely chill and willing to take the piss out of himself. Plus he has an absolutely baller team that he genuinely works with, as opposed to brownbeats with his 'vision'.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Yes, this was at the top of the tree of stupid things that :lesnick: has done.

I'm convinced that the only reason Disco Lando was hired was to make :lesnick: look like a smooth professional, Lando is so awkwardly incompetent that :lesnick: can easily hide in his shadow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Truga posted:

The idea of kickstarter is easy enough to understand, it's just that why would anyone want to take part in it? Don't answer this question by the way, I don't actually care, this conversation has been done to death.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AP posted:

Yes, this was at the top of the tree of stupid things that :lesnick: has done.

I'm convinced that the only reason Disco Lando was hired was to make :lesnick: look like a smooth professional, Lando is so awkwardly incompetent that :lesnick: can easily hide in his shadow.

How fat is that other dude?! :stare:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

These fanatics have short memories. I remember back in December 2013, Roberts pretty obviously scheduled the release of the dogfight module to try and overshadow Elite's first alpha release. I thought it was a bit of a dick move, to try to smother a smaller competitor's press coverage like that. But hey business is business right?

Turns out they hosed up. After seeing the state of Elite's alpha (which wasn't really an alpha, it was a loving playable demo), Roberts realised the favourable comparisons wouldn't be going his way, and the dogfight module was put on hold for "polishing". I sometimes wonder if Roberts panicked and told them to redo it all, because that module was a weeks away from release for about six months in the end.

Braben seems a nice guy, he probably isn't actually laughing his tits off right now. He'll be too busy polishing his OBE.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They all are by this point. Heck, they're firing all the thin people like most of the girls and James Pugh. It's a regular ole fatty convention now, minus of course the space goddess that is Sandi.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well if :lesnick: is really far away and the other guy is right in front of the light source...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Madcosby posted:

Half voting with my wallet towards things I want to see made, half p2w to avoid having to grind to something fun (a larger multicrew ship, I don't really care much to play single seat WW2 fighters in space, I'd rather just play War Thunder with actual WW2 fighters since it's far more engaging to fly in atmosphere) in the MMO part.

Despite everything that's happened I still think the multiplayer stuff will come out eventually, I just now think it will be filled with profoundly un-fun gameplay in the form of mini game poo poo and that they'll do everything in their power to make sure none of the tear harvesting or scamming possibilities that are in EVE exist in their MMO.

Basically the multi-crew demo showed that they're technically doing pretty well, but I think their design portion will suck, be unbalanced as all hell, and that it's entirely possible/probable that they run out of money because Roberts decided that random poo poo no one would ever notice needs to be re-done for the 5th time.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On a lark I decided to play "armchair CEO" and see if I could come up with better responses to Escapist's questions to CR. Stuff in italics is where I think CR's words were sufficient, although in some cases I removed excess.

Fag! Homo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Madcosby posted:

To go into a little more specifics, $250ish granted you access to a ship that was more or less the Millennium Falcon in terms of seating capacity and the like, and going into the thousands got you a ship that was more Star Destroyer/USS Enterprise tier. So it had a very real sense of how much you paid to get into this game determined where in the game universe's pecking order you would be. I do think some people were also looking to play with their buddies or whatever and preferred to do so in a larger ship where each player had a specific role (e.g. one was the pilot, another was the gunner etc.)

It was pretty beautifully laid out to touch the right "take all of my money" nerves in people who always wanted to be Han Solo/Kirk/Picard or whatever, and given this game's promises it was probably the kind of thing some people convinced themselves it'd be the last game they'd ever have to buy because they could just plug in their VR headset and be space captain whatever and work the exact minimum number of hours to pay for their PC's electricity.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
What does Chris Roberts, Derek Smart, Games Media and Gamergate have in common - The Star Citizen Melodrama

quote:

I spent this weekend sharing a report The Escapist ran about the game Star Citizen, and the worrisome reports that things weren’t going so hot. The story pulled me into this insane battle that I just detailed. I’ve received emails, insults, numerous requests on my personal FB page and tons of vitriol. Personal attacks and such don’t bother me. Hell, I even had a cult member fanboy of Star Citizen even try to threaten litigation because I voiced my opinion. If this was the end of the story, we’d be good. Unfortunately, for any good melodrama, we have to go deeper down the rabbit hole.
What was a simple report is going much deeper, it caused me to learn about a game that has players funneling $1000’s of dollars into for things that apparently don’t even exist yet. I’ve learned about a game with so much ambition that I’m surprised they haven’t hired Hideo Kojima yet. I’ve met what is probably the most toxic fanboy community out there on the internet. Finally, I’ve learned that some people just need to get over grudges.

Either way, whichever way it goes, it’ll make for a good story. I’ve had some realizations too. Regardless of what I’ve thought of console fanboys, Star Citizen fanatics make them look like #positivitythroughgaming superstars. Also. I am acquainted with some people that aren’t who I used to think they were. It’s been polarizing so far.

I’m sure the next few days will make for gripping drama.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Gwaihir posted:

Half voting with my wallet towards things I want to see made, half p2w to avoid having to grind to something fun (a larger multicrew ship, I don't really care much to play single seat WW2 fighters in space, I'd rather just play War Thunder with actual WW2 fighters since it's far more engaging to fly in atmosphere) in the MMO part.

Despite everything that's happened I still think the multiplayer stuff will come out eventually, I just now think it will be filled with profoundly un-fun gameplay in the form of mini game poo poo and that they'll do everything in their power to make sure none of the tear harvesting or scamming possibilities that are in EVE exist in their MMO.

Basically the multi-crew demo showed that they're technically doing pretty well, but I think their design portion will suck, be unbalanced as all hell, and that it's entirely possible/probable that they run out of money because Roberts decided that random poo poo no one would ever notice needs to be re-done for the 5th time.

there will never be multi-crew massive battles like eve, the physical constraints on technology just wont allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

I.N.R.I posted:

Fag! Homo

• Locked thread