Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Oh boy thanks to about 300 posts ago I have Les Mis stuck in my head and the thread is imploding on itself! Today is going to be a good day! :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

:chanpop:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Beer, that was beautiful.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Before the latest Oculus Rift update broke Elite Dangerous's VR Support, it was a stunning experience. If you actually have a Dev Kit, there are few things as cool as ED. Just parking in a massive satellite is awesome. That said, it doesn't justify buying the game if you don't already have a Dev Kit, and if you don't I would certainly hold off until consumer release. I find the game without VR a pretty lacking experience.

That said, even ED with the Oculus Rift DK2 costs way less than some people are dropping on Star Citizen setups and ships.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
edit: nah

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Romes128 posted:

nobodys mad. we're making fun of you because you spent $1,500 and got nothing in return and you never will. lol.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fat and Useless posted:

Oh boy thanks to about 300 posts ago I have Les Mis stuck in my head and the thread is imploding on itself! Today is going to be a good day! :coffeepal:

Overall I agree with you but it's still a little too early for Octopede posts :morning:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Please don't kill this awesome thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

no_recall posted:

SC went content first and promised everything in the world. No game. Tech demos.

Elite went architecture / skeleton first and build a drat good game, while all of us are complaining its barebones.

I feel like Elite could have addressed a lot of those complaints if they had spent the last year working on player-oriented content like organizational play. Letting groups claim systems, name them, and build/upgrade stations would give people a lot to do instead of running propaganda or whatever in the name of space khaleesi.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

LLJKSiLk posted:

I can. I just don't.

Parent/guardian/person responsible for care and supervision of a minor/teacher or other person responsible for care and supervision of a minor for a special purpose may use reasonable and appropriate physical force when and to the extent he reasonably believes it necessary and appropriate to maintain discipline or promote welfare of the child.
§ 13A-3-24. Alabama Code

piece of poo poo

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can you point to any other video game studio in the past five years (same amount of time as Star Citizen has been a concept) that threatened to sue a news site for running an unflattering piece?

Does Derek Smart count as a video game studio?

In all honesty, no, but I don't actually read any video game news sites on a regular basis. I'm guessing it's happened, though, even if such a thing isn't usually published publicly.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

KiddieGrinder posted:

Well no, see...there's just something about Croberts that makes you trust him. :love::allears:

what? I even think he is a child molester from first looks

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
The Elite: Dangerous patch list is bigger than all the features actually released by CIG, including all spaceshipdrawing(1)(1)(1).jpg

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Elite is a dad game. Like Euro Truck Simulator or FSX. You just turn on some podcasts or music and chill while flying around in space.

Also the CQC stuff is basically PvP from ye olde days in the alpha/early beta where silent running was actually useful and you weaved between asteroids and poo poo. It owns real loving hard and is exclusively small ships like the Eagle, Sidewinder and those really tiny police ships outside stations like the Condor

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Octopode posted:

You really shouldn't be on the internet if you're going to believe everything people tell you. It's dangerous.

Oh, don't worry. I don't believe anything you say beyond "I paid $1500 real dollars for pictures of spaceships."

Unfunny Poster posted:

The Jones Act is when Captain Jones was jonesing for a hot piece of tail and hosed a fish making mermaids.

This was the correct answer, by the way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LLJKSiLk posted:

I can. I just don't.

Parent/guardian/person responsible for care and supervision of a minor/teacher or other person responsible for care and supervision of a minor for a special purpose may use reasonable and appropriate physical force when and to the extent he reasonably believes it necessary and appropriate to maintain discipline or promote welfare of the child.
§ 13A-3-24. Alabama Code

Unless you use this as a corollary to how Derek Smart is going to legally spank Chris Roberts in thirty minutes or so I would sincerely appreciate it if you would gently caress off with this stupid derail.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Nation posted:

piece of poo poo

Some of you who spent thousands of dollars on jpg's didn't receive enough beatings as children for stupid poo poo apparently.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unless you use this as a corollary to how Derek Smart is going to legally spank Chris Roberts in thirty minutes or so I would sincerely appreciate it if you would gently caress off with this stupid derail.

I disagree. You are in the wrong here.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Some of you who spent thousands of dollars on jpg's didn't receive enough beatings as children for stupid poo poo apparently.

That's right, tell them!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, Elite is very much a big but shallow game, but to Frontier's credit they’re actively adding new features. I mean, it may be a bit tedious after a while but it still has more content than Star Citizen, which has none.

Some of my EVE friends got all in the same "instance" or whatever you called it, and we were flying around an Asteroid shooting space rats. That was kinda fun, the grind was boring but if the CQC thing turns out well a lot of us are gonna probably do that since the combat was actually entertaining and not terrible.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LLJKSiLk posted:

I bet your kids love you very much.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Does Derek Smart count as a video game studio?

To be fair Derek Smart has been more entertaining with a few blog posts that CIG has been with hundreds of hours of tv shows.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

grimcreaper posted:

Holy poo poo that song is amazing. If Croberts added it to Star Citizen i would buy a jpeg right now. .. :(

It's like the reciprocal of Barrett's Privateers (in space).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

LLJKSiLk posted:

Have you noticed your children are less well behaved since you ceased beating them?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I bet your kids love you very much.

I bet they'll love having plenty of disposable income in retirement accounts instead of in Chris Robert's yacht investment in Morocco.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

To be fair Derek Smart has been more entertaining with a few blog posts that CIG has been with hundreds of hours of tv shows.

I would gladly give CIG $1500 to stop making TV shows altogether and hire Derek Smart to write a weekly text update of everything, complete with plenty of repetitive quotes and random markdown formatting.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LLJKSiLk posted:

I bet they'll love having plenty of disposable income in retirement accounts instead of in Chris Robert's yacht investment in Morocco.

Yes, beating financial sense into children is a very important part of fatherhood

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

AP posted:

Have you noticed your children are less well behaved since you ceased beating them?

No, they behave very well. Even when I was "beating" them it was a once or twice a year thing whenever they'd do something stupid like skip school or leave campus to play MtG in the woods instead of going to class, or set off fireworks in the hallways at school. Basically a good reminder not to do something retarded.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel like Elite could have addressed a lot of those complaints if they had spent the last year working on player-oriented content like organizational play. Letting groups claim systems, name them, and build/upgrade stations would give people a lot to do instead of running propaganda or whatever in the name of space khaleesi.

It seems like Frontier and a lot of Elite players aren't really interested in that so much though. I really wish that when you made a character you had to lock yourself to being solo or online instead of being able to switch back and forth, and then I'd like for Frontier to add in the ability to control territory, but I don't know if that would every happen.

Which is a shame really. Since Elite has the whole loving galaxy open for exploration, it seems like there would be space for any organization to exploit, and you wouldn't run into the problems of a player org owning everything of work. Just keep the current political setup but allow players to own systems outside the NPC territories, and then if people were worried about traveling in lawless/goon space they could...just not go there.

Elite has a really good skeleton to it, I just wish that they would flesh the game out more. I guess I really want Elite to be EVE but with flyable ships, though that runs pretty counter to what the Space-Euro-Truck-Sim guys want.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

They'll just end up spending all that disposable income on therapy to help them deal with how their dad beat them.

The therapist will then spend the money on a yacht.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I would gladly give CIG $1500 to stop making TV shows altogether and hire Derek Smart to write a weekly text update of everything, complete with plenty of repetitive quotes and random markdown formatting.

I don't think they'll go for it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh for fucks sake. We have other things to watch burn.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

LLJKSiLk posted:

Please leave. No-one likes you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

LLJKSiLk posted:

No, they behave very well. Even when I was "beating" them it was a once or twice a year thing whenever they'd do something stupid like skip school or leave campus to play MtG in the woods instead of going to class, or set off fireworks in the hallways at school. Basically a good reminder not to do something retarded.

Did your Dad hit you a lot?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

So how long until CIG go belly up? Taking bets? 2 months?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ffs you idiots take the kid beating poo poo to e/n or something.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Breaking news. CIG confirmed that stuff are going to be revealed on citcon.

this is serious now.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sillybones posted:

Agrajag posted:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Dante80 posted:

Breaking news. CIG confirmed that stuff are going to be released on citcon.

this is serious now.

I bet it's another new ship you can buy.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Doesn't that girl on the right, in the blue dress, look familiar?

Wasn't Seraph posting faceless pics of some girl in a blue dress?

Dunno about that but dude far right in the blue shirt looks like Paul Gadd. An unfortunate celebrity lookalike.

LCL-Dead posted:

^^ It's not the same girl, though that would be pretty amazing for this thread.

That screenshot does little to really explain what Exploration in ED is really like. It's tedious and often boring, not to mention time consuming.

Your entire time spent "exploring" is spent jumping from one system to the next, running a planetary body scan and then moving on after you've gotten more detailed scans from any interesting planets. It would be nice to be able to just sit back, hands off and let the ship fly a straight path while you pan the camera around and snap potentially gorgeous screenshots but that's not how it works.

You spend more time looking at the loading animation that is hyper space.

You missed the best part about exploration: the HOOOOOONK of the scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

He deserves his voice in this thread. You leave.

Agrajag posted:

No. It belongs here.

• Locked thread