Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

I don't think cheetos can go rancid.

Sweat soaked rancid cheetos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eonwe posted:

i wonder what citcon will smell like

Like moldy cheese with whiffs of saute onions. Occasionally you'll walk by an area that has a heavy ammonia smell.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like moldy cheese with whiffs of saute onions. Occasionally you'll walk by an area that has a heavy ammonia smell.

The furry pens.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Haha, is reddit seriously going bonkers over an expensive coffee machine or something?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Szcwczuk posted:

I don't think cheetos can go rancid.

Give me 90 million dollars in crowdfunding and 4 years of development and I'll show you they can.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

It's being held in Manchester, so no one will really notice the difference.

:boom:

Seriously though, Manchester is okay (I guess), but Wilmslow, the nice little suburb where the old Foundry 42 offices were located, is much more pleasant.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Give me 90 million dollars in crowdfunding and 4 years of development and I'll show you they can.

you've got my backing, its a better shot at a product than star citizen

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

you've got my backing, its a better shot at a product than star citizen

What sort of features would you like to see in the test? For an additional 25 million dollars I can build a Motion Capture studio so you wan simulate the test on your own in a cloud computing space with thousands of others.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I suspect the top one.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kimsemus posted:

So in your opinion, how much veracity does Dr. Smart possess at this point? Do you believe the points he made are valid? You're probably the best goon to answer this, IMO. What's your take?

My take is that he wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have access to something that, at least based on what he knows, is significant. Throw away all the bluster and you get a core argument that CIG has wasted incredible amounts of money through terrible management and embezzlement. I think that people within and outside of CIG are talking to him, I think what they're saying is convincing enough to warrant his approach, and I think CIG's response has been so incredibly amateurish and ill-thought that in my eyes it reinforces the suspicion that they're hiding something. I think CIG's attempt to shift the discussion towards Derek Smart and the personal attacks on Sandi (which I personally am inclined to believe) indicate desperation and a complete inability to mount a viable defense against the accusations of waste and mismanagement.

Derek Smart is a very intelligent, very driven, and very resourceful man who is outmaneuvering CIG at every turn. His actions have led to Sandi, Chris, and Ortwin publicly embarrassing themselves multiple times. You do not look good when your VP of marketing is "finding" documents proving she went to college, your attorney is allowing you to publicly posting universally mocked legal threats, and the head of your company is wasting an entire workday trolling Twitter to create the Magnum Opus of logical fallacy Internet arguments. Instead of a week of enthusiasm leading up to what is expected to be the biggest reveal in the history of Star Citizen you have a barrage of attacks and drama shredding your credibility and deflating any enthusiasm that may exist outside of your most addicted supporters. CIG, already forced to ramp up expectations to an impossible level based on their own inability to deliver on prior promises, now faces scrutiny at a level previously impossible to fathom. They must deliver something real and tangible on Saturday or people are going to rightfully crucify them.

If what DS says is true, if CIG doesn't have anything meaningful to give to the backers (meaning FPS, SC 2.0, or SQ 42), then things are going to get much worse. I'm not sure they can recover from another disappointment.

sorla78 posted:

Gary Oldman was also in the leaked SQ42 intro Level, as can be seen here 17secs in (Spoiler). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAz-vQ8MJZk There were quite some people speculating that it was simply a stand-in for him. But that stuff leaked mainly via 4Chan, surely someone cross-posting there.

Basically the only thing that's not low hanging speculation is that Gary Oldman is voicing over the introduction, plus the deliverable delays.

Dante80 posted:

Regarding this, a question.

I remember that one of the stretch goals was to purchase/start a mocap studio for SC. If I remember correctly, CIG wanted to shoot sq42 in it. The bought the equipment, and leased a studio, right?

Then they went to Imaginarium to shoot sq42.

What happened to their own mocap studio :question:

Supposedly the mocap studio is used for lower level stuff, and the Imaginarium is for CR's direction of all the SUPER AWESOME SQUADRON 42 CUTSCENES that are totally essential to the game and not fulfilling CR's wish to play director again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This was a prop in Saving Private Ryan.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

lol who gives a poo poo about cutscenes in 2015

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

For 90 mil we should be able to get a bag of cheetos out of orbit with nothing but shaken mountain dew bottles.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

sorla78 posted:

Also here to have all the SQ42 info in one place - the story arc that got leaked months ago to that hot reporter in drunken state by CR - please do not tell anyone - (obviously spoilers - even though it's again the typical Chris Roberts Kitsch)

If only they would spent 20k on a good writer...

Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop's ship. That's one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you're training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they've lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What's happening? It's sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there's a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth's defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there's this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop's still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

Isn't that basically the plot of the Wing Commander movie?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

theultimo posted:

No Americano, no sale

Only if you add milk. Sandi hates it black.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I can't even believe a lawyer wrote that 9/30 "Cease and Desist" letter to Derek Smart. That is loving embarrassing. If a first year handed me that thing as a draft I would never work with them again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Derek Smart's article was pretty much devoid of content.

Chris Roberts is TERRIBLE. So is his wife! Lawyer bad too!

Really its a waste of time to read.

Would have been interesting if he actually had any specific allegations (besides the rumor of an espresso machine).

But still, all hearsay.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This thread has everything.

Including the explosive revelation that we had a guild on Archeage.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
at this point, character attacks are the perfect bait for CR

can't prove anything exactly? make him dig his own grave!

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Well, it is a very condensed bloated and humble self-promoting summation of events so far.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Any bets that there will be at least one shout for a refund on the 10th?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If chris roberts was smart he'd have filed for church status ages ago. im pretty sure he fits the criteria at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I think Smart is right about pretty much everything, but the 8 million is wrong, they'll have a fair bit more in Europe and there's no sign of anyone leaking to him from Europe, plus they made a million in the past week. There's no signs of funding slowing, Citizen Con, then November sales.

Smart seems like he's going to hang back now and let the Escapist handle it. I think he's on the right track partly because Sandi flipped on twitter, started deleting poo poo and Chris Roberts sent him a weak C&D. I'm not lawyer but Smart's legal reply looked a lot better to me than the C&D, I'll be interested to see what people with some real expertise think.

I've moved from the game is certainly doomed to, time zones are the only real hope, Germany and the UK might be able to put something together before the money runs out in the time that Chris & Sandi Roberts are sleeping each day. But I doubt I'd want to play it as it'll be pretty bad.

It's amazing to me that with all this going on, people are still giving them money.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

OriginalPseudonym posted:

how could you imply derek smart and octopode could ever be boring

That wasn't an implication. It was an outright statement.

I mean let me get this straight. Nothing has really happened except someone pointed out that Star Citizen was dumb and not going to work out, they wrote an article on a website about it and twitters and everything. The SC people got defensive, they wrote blogs and letters and twitters also. Many back and forth bitchings ensued. The ones on the sidelines pointed and laughed or got defensive and delusional in their various hugbox threads.

How is this any different from the last couple of years of Star Citizen history? Nothing new appears to have actually happened; game hasn't come out, nor has it folded. It's still just chugging along sucking money from rubes, the same arguments raging back and forth. I'd understand if they'd announced bankruptcy or released the game, must be a really slow news week?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doctor Butts posted:

Derek Smart's article was pretty much devoid of content.

Chris Roberts is TERRIBLE. So is his wife! Lawyer bad too!

Really its a waste of time to read.

Would have been interesting if he actually had any specific allegations (besides the rumor of an espresso machine).

But still, all hearsay.

I think it's just because everyone in this thread follows the drama so closely. For casual observers this article can be quite informative.

Like there are casual observers, lmao.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its all designed to hit Robert's ego so he can keep loving up. Like you'd think the letters would be directed to backers cultists or people watching on the sidelines, but no. These posts are for Croberts, Sandi and the lawyer. Any stress above whatever they are getting trying to keep the ponzi scheme afloat is just increasing the chance that they'll gently caress up

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Isn't that basically the plot of the Wing Commander movie?

The most frustrating part of Star Citizen is that everyone keeps asking about the game instead of how great the movie is going to be.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Eonwe posted:

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Decrepus posted:

ACTIVATE THE GOLD TIER MISSILES!! FIRE!!!!! #vanduulattack
Haha, did golden tickets ever become relevant (other than the gold wing pubbies)?
Do they even exist anymore?

Szcwczuk posted:

Making fun of eve goons is kinda cheating though they mostly do it for you.
As goons are to pubbies, eve goons are to goons.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have a mental counter that resets every time somebody brings it up.
We know.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The most shocking revelation was that D Smart's letter wasn't just a sheet of paper covered in paw prints and dried puppy drool, he actually appears to have paid a real lawyer to write it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

i guess I could just as easily ask "what does a group of overweight bald sweaty guys with long beards smell like" and have the same answer

I bet one space dollar there are more greasy ponytails than bald heads

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
On the topic of "something Derek can predict to prove he's got an insider" wouldn't it also have to be something that CIG couldn't change quickly? Like suppose he says "The next ship reveal is going to be called 'Scimitar' ", all CIG has to do is open up the editor and crow "lolNOPE Derek the new ship is named 'Falchion!' "

I'm beginning to suspect that among everything else, CIG is also engaging in insider trading of the Grey Market. My reasoning is that so far, CIG decision making has always gone with the dumbest and most short-sighted EXCEPT it has not re-opened the market for limited-released ships. Doing so would be have predictable and disastrous results, but call me a cynic if I don't believe that's the reason CIG is making one smart decision out of a sea of bad ones. Instead, one or a few people at CIG are manipulating the market. Really, what's to stop them from making a new 'limited-release' .jpg out of thin air, and then selling it at huge mark-up on reddit?

My source is the drunk homeless guy that yells at me when I walk from the train station to work.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
the important thing is did they shave their genitals?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I'm not a lawyer but I've certainly seen my fair share of demand letters and both CIG and DS's letters are laughable. I'd be curious to read what other actual lawyers think of it but at this stage I'm not impressed. CIG's letter was basically a Christmas letter written by a child and DS's reply has literal ALL CAPS BOLDED which is just never a good idea in any situation. I have absolutely no vested interest in Star Citizen whatsoever but the whole "his lawyers said" thing is turning into a pathetic sissy slap fight. Which is lovely and easily the best outcome possible.

There is, as far as I can tell, a nearly zero percent chance either side will sue anyone. And as much as I'm glad Derek Smart has brought the SC fiasco to the limelight, he probably needs to step back and shut up at this point. He pretty much can do more good now that actual publications are picking it up.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

The most shocking revelation was that D Smart's letter wasn't just a sheet of paper covered in paw prints and dried puppy drool, he actually appears to have paid a real lawyer to write it.

Or, he has two puppies, De la Pena and Holiday.
Which are pretty rad names for puppies if you ask me.

ps: I'm no lawyer but some of that correspondence was pretty sick. Ortwin got trolled hard on this.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

If chris roberts was smart he'd have filed for church status ages ago. im pretty sure he fits the criteria at this point

I'm actually surprised they haven't if you assume no FPS, No multi-crew this year, nothing apart from the odd bug patch, I really think they'll get away with that easily till March/April next year.

Backers think FPS is two weeks away, it's always two weeks away and most haven't noticed.

A lot depends on what the Escapist does now I think.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
rumor is that the $150 spaceship toys they sell actually have embeded shavers, and while backers rub the spaceships toys all over their bodies they become clean and pure, but I haven't seen one in person so I cannot confirm.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Wafflz posted:

I bet one space dollar there are more greasy ponytails than bald heads

Or a large number of the worst hair style known to mankind: the balding ponytail.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Dante80 posted:

Or, he has two puppies, De la Pena and Holiday.
Which are pretty rad names for puppies if you ask me.

ps: I'm no lawyer but some of that correspondence was pretty sick. Ortwin got trolled hard on this.

Reddit was proposing to introduce Ortwin branded Torpedos - I suggest slapping the Ortwin brand onto dumb fire missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

A lot depends on what the Escapist does now I think.

I'll bet you one mysteriously vanished $20,000 espresso maker that the Escapist gives CIG a glowing review.

e. adjust for whatever the rate is for these sorts of things.

• Locked thread