Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

drkeiscool posted:

Do they still say Hilton on them?

That is a picture of the actual poster and I can see the Hiltons in it so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Romes128 posted:

They didn't announce anything and spent all their time on the fps portion of their space combat simulator game.

you mean showing how chris roberts made his lovely cryengine mocap movie?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol the number of star citizens has been going down, it use to be over 1 million.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Here's two youtubes of stirring speeches for AAA titles slated for 2016 release. Can you spot the difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk

Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyU_1-Py0dA

You know you're hosed when an in-engine character model from a TOTAL WAR game can pull off a better and more hype performance than your high end 90 mil cutscene.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

serious norman posted:

Why is Croberts so incompetent?

i don't think he's incompetent. I think he has interesting vision and an interesting set of skills.

but he also lacks the self awareness to see that he isn't the one to manage a project like this, and wasnt the one that should have led Freelancer. he should have surrounded himself not just with strong talent (and a lot of it was before it jumped ship), but with competent and experienced managers / producers who would handle the minutiae for him, and check him when he's getting off the rails.

Instead his first two hires were his wife and a completely incompetent and unprofessional yet absolute and unyeilding suckup, and then threw both of them into jobs at which they had zero real world experience. Which really kind of points to the problem, doesn't it.

if anyone happens to have gotten Pillars of Eternity, it comes with a "making of" video which is really loving poignant when you compare what they went through... a 4mil kickstarter for a respected but floundering company to get back to the storytelling roots of what they did best... and brought in the right people to make some of the hard calls. And they did all this, as they said, because they weren't just representing the trust in their company, but the trust in kickstarter and crowdfunding in general. It puts SC into a radically different light, not least because Pillars specifically hired a couple of people to be that voice of reason, and the lead programmers and devs knew this was a good and important step and worked with him to get poo poo done and released just a few months later than anticipated... yet still in the open development poo poo all the whiteknights for SC are crowing about.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

you mean showing how chris roberts made his lovely cryengine mocap movie?

It truly is a game of making dreams come true

Croberts gets to play a director
Sandi get to play an actress
Erin gets to play a game developer
Orwin gets to play a cartoon villiam

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.

I said come in! posted:

lol the number of star citizens has been going down, it use to be over 1 million.

Would be great is somebody checked that daily and graphed it to specific events.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Captain Satire posted:

Why are we upset with what they announced / said today?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
A reminder that this all took place in a building that housed two of the biggest British disappointments in recent history.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Romes128 posted:

A reminder that this all took place in a building that housed two of the biggest British disappointments in recent history.

Holy poo poo, at 10 Downing Street?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iridium posted:

Holy poo poo, at 10 Downing Street?

I don't know what hospital you were born in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It blows my mind that they opened the Con with Sandi giving a speech about herself. Mike Morhaime doesn't open Blizzcon talking about all the mean emails he gets. Pete Hines doesn't open QuakeCon talking about hard it is for him when people pan Bethesda games. These people are professionals who realize that the event they're giving a keynote for is about the company and their products.

But gently caress that noise, it's Sandi Time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Did I miss anything?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Okay roses and thorns.

Roses: The mocap caught Gary Oldman swallowing during a pause in his speech. It was a nice little touch

Thorns: LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE

OMG HOW DID THEY MANAGE TO BOOK "THE" RHONA MITRA?!?!!?! CHRIS ROBERTS MUST HAVE TONS OF HOLLYWOOD CONNECTIONS.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

Did I miss anything?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Shala posted:

I'm really invested in this you guys.

Yeah, I'm blocked for no reason too. Way to support "your" Goons, there Dr. Smart.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

It blows my mind that they opened the Con with Sandi giving a speech about herself. Mike Morhaime doesn't open Blizzcon talking about all the mean emails he gets. Pete Hines doesn't open QuakeCon talking about hard it is for him when people pan Bethesda games. These people are professionals who realize that the event they're giving a keynote for is about the company and their products.

Again, they made a conscious decision to do this in the hangar with the Concorde.

They're not very smart.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

I don't know what hospital you were born in.

Lol

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. I only watched Sandi's message and then a few minutes of Constellation + Hornet flight and had to log afterwards. Is there a summary of what came next I could read?
Thank you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I gave up on Star Citizen and instead invested in Dengeki Bunko. It's been called the Star Citizen of anime games, except it actually exists.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cool that's me back up to speed :lol:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

This is the most inexplicable thing. It's like: okay they're running a scam, but they wouldn't be the first company to do it. And I like Derek Smart, but they are way, waaaay too freaked out and obsessed with him. He's a very obscure, B-game developer that few people know about except as a punchline from 15 years ago. It's frankly bizarre.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14995-Monthly-Studio-Report

quote:

It won’t be an easy road. We’re very public and there will always be obstacles trying to block our path, whether they are normal problems that crop up in development or outside agitators that are threatened by a completely crowd funded project building a dream game they wished they had the talent or support to build. Just remember that this is all noise and at the end of the day the game will speak for itself. It always does and that is the best reply to anyone that doubts our ability to deliver something great.

:lol:

Looks like they are trying to mask all the "reorganization" in this report by quietly releasing it right after citizencon.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

June 26 2015 "How many people total are working on Star Citizen total – 500 probably, including outsourcers, 300 internally"

18th August 2015 270 total (staff + contractors)

October 1st We are a company of 261 employees

October 9th Cloud Imperium now employs 255 staff

They pulled all the contractors I think around July, we heard about Illfonic but I think the others went too.

Where are you getting a 50% reduction going from ~300 internal personnel down to 255? The three last sets of numbers are only including those they consider internal personnel; they can't reasonably be compared to the internal + outsourcing number in the way you're trying to.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am surprised, although I shouldn't be, that they made ZERO progress on either FPS or space combat since last year.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Unexpected posted:

Hi. I only watched Sandi's message and then a few minutes of Constellation + Hornet flight and had to log afterwards. Is there a summary of what came next I could read?
Thank you.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I was wondering where that came from, dsmart's twitter. Senpai noticed and all that jazz

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

I gave up on Star Citizen and instead invested in Dengeki Bunko. It's been called the Star Citizen of anime games, except it actually exists.

What is it I'm mobile

Explain pls

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Brown Sea posted:

Yes I was about to start crying during this presentation, it is everything I ever dreamed of and so much more.
I donīt know to begin really because I am still a bit shaken, but the SQ42 presentation, the persistant universe demo, the animation demo
I just couldnīt belive what I was seeing. It is so much more then I ever hoped for!!

There is no doubt that this is the game of my life and million backers out there, this game is a legacy and a pillar in video game history.

Thank you CIG and Chris Roberts for all the amazing work you are putting into this universe!

So they nailed it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

So they nailed it?

gently caress

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

So they nailed it?

Came for an update about a space combat sim

Left with some backstage footage and demo of an fps

Nailed it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

So they nailed it?

Yep. Solid Gold.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Sandi opting for the platonic cheek kiss from her husband was my favorite part

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

peter gabriel posted:

quote:

The Brown Sea posted:
Yes I was about to start crying during this presentation, it is everything I ever dreamed of and so much more.
I donīt know to begin really because I am still a bit shaken, but the SQ42 presentation, the persistant universe demo, the animation demo
I just couldnīt belive what I was seeing. It is so much more then I ever hoped for!!

There is no doubt that this is the game of my life and million backers out there, this game is a legacy and a pillar in video game history.

Thank you CIG and Chris Roberts for all the amazing work you are putting into this universe!
So they nailed it?

I'd be crying as well if I had any money invested in Star Citizen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

So they nailed it?

It started with Sandi literally breaking down in to tears on stage and ended with the staff literally bringing out a birthday cake and singing Happy Birthday to star citizen. They nailed it hard.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Yep. Solid Gold.

Well that's a relief for a while back there I was starting to think this project was going off the rails, so glad everything is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It started with Sandi breaking down in to tears on stage and ended with the staff bringing out a birthday cake and literally singing Happy Birthday to star citizen.

I hope they get sued by the happy birthday people

• Locked thread