Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

from here on now, anyone who says "you donated" will be shot in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

I did a check on the page to see an artifact left over from "Vindicator" but didn't see anything. Someone with more webpage knowledge should probably see if anything was forgotten.

They probably did a find and replace to switch Vindicator to POTATO and then missed those entries after they came up with Sabre

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Vile posted:

Anyone with a small shred of faith this will be a good game if it ever gets released should be ashamed of themselves

please dont kink shame.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters
space art reflects life

new starmap has easter eggs

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

I was trying to convince myself to learn movie clip editing for this clip, turning it into a goon-style parody upon witnessing tonight's 'con' (which I was certain was going to be a disaster), but I legit cannot muster that kind of :effort: for this insanity, now that I've rewatched all this poo poo late at night...

So this video clip sums up my feelings at this exact moment about Star Citizen and CitCon 2015. If anyone wants to make an SA-parody vid out of it, by all means do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolHSTWp3w0

Someone change the skeleton screaming with sandi's face tia

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vile posted:

Anyone with a small shred of faith this will be a good game if it ever gets released should be ashamed of themselves
It is an incredibly entertaining slow motion car crash where more cars keep crashing just when you think it's over.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My eyes sting and my jaw has locked up

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Zmej posted:

if this is true, I remember you being insufferable during archeage. glad you continued your hard work and personal brand since then
There was never any THEUNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA who played Archeage. Also, how is fishing in your Korean MMO going these days?

thatguy posted:

Octopode what's your name on RSI?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The fact that they renamed the dumb ship (and hosed it up so it was named POTATO briefly on the website) and then changed the price by 5$ to PROVE DSMART WRONG is far more entertaining than it should be. I would ask what it is named in the game assets except there is no game :lol:

If SOMEONE didn't give bad advice about salting hashes none of this would have happened.

edit:

EminusSleepus posted:

Doesn't everyone who donated already get this game?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bolow posted:

Someone change the skeleton screaming with sandi's face tia

Or my idea was two star citizen logos beaming out of his skull eyes in janky 2fps fashion, but yea...something like that...

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Ash1138 posted:

I'm okay with this because they've said that they wanted each manufacturer to have its own design language or whatever so certain components are either similar or identical in appearance.

A more pressing question is why is it so loving foggy inside their spaceships?

They are full of spooky ghosts OOoooOoOooOooOoOoOOoO00000

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I decided to browse the brown sea. A discussion of the progress made in the last year was brought up.

A poster linked the various tech demos (multicrew/fps/social) and said they are "playable."

"If they are playable," I inquired, "then why aren't they released?"

He informed me that that's not what "playable" means as he saw a person "play" them once.

I feel like I'm debating a new age feminist who is changing the definitions of words to fit their agenda. I give up.

Waiting to hear back on my refund submission.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

ShiroTheSniper posted:

When I saw that, I tought about : http://i.imgur.com/DFk66se.jpg

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm the assholes

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

This whole thing is so strange, but I really hope nobody hurts themselves over it. Seriously even if you got enormously ripped off, just remember you can recover from that but not from killing yourself. The incongruous perception between the fans and the critics just spells disaster to me.

I'm still enjoying watching it all unfold though so kudos for that... Just, don't hurt yourself people, regardless of what happens, you know? I'd feel really awful enjoying the shitshow of anyone actually hurt themselves I guess. Chalk it up as an expensive lesson in getting carried away and move on if you are feeling awful and like you made a huge mistake. I know the 'true believers' are fine but I bet there's someone out there with maxed out credit cards feeling panicky.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I did a check on the page to see an artifact left over from "Vindicator" but didn't see anything. Someone with more webpage knowledge should probably see if anything was forgotten.

I would have guessed the most likely place would have been the Holoviewer model file, but that's just named Citcon_concept

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EminusSleepus posted:

You didn't "donate", you "pledged"

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

joke_explainer posted:

This whole thing is so strange, but I really hope nobody hurts themselves over it. Seriously even if you got enormously ripped off, just remember you can recover from that but not from killing yourself. The incongruous perception between the fans and the critics just spells disaster to me.

I'm still enjoying watching it all unfold though so kudos for that... Just, don't hurt yourself people, regardless of what happens, you know? I'd feel really awful enjoying the shitshow of anyone actually hurt themselves I guess. Chalk it up as an expensive lesson in getting carried away and move on if you are feeling awful and like you made a huge mistake. I know the 'true believers' are fine but I bet there's someone out there with maxed out credit cards feeling panicky.

No one here wants to see people kill themselves over this game.

But people are going to kill themselves over this game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

joke_explainer posted:

I think the terrible thing here is even if the game gets released and everything is great these people will still have crippling debt and all the emotions that tell them to end it all, a game won't keep those feelings away forever.

It's a real shame, RIP Citizens

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Superb, and tennis?

Now that the FPS is integrated in the PU, if your ship is transporting tennis supplies you can go to the cargo hold, unpack the rackets, nets, and balls and play tennis! in space!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My ankles have gone numb

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

Now that the FPS is integrated in the PU, if your ship is transporting tennis supplies you can go to the cargo hold, unpack the rackets, nets, and balls and play tennis! in space!

That sounds really promising, I can't believe all the Debbie Downers in this thread, jeez guys lighten up a bit

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

My ankles have gone numb
Are you alright friend?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

trucutru posted:

Mark Hamill has to be the best human-to-nerd negotiator in the planet, I bet he got paid fat stacks.

Word has it that he's got enough money, you have to pay him in weed these days.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Conditioning and starvation. The first "sizzle" trailer with the Bengal and Vanduul and poo poo blowing up was this epic thing that really caught your attention. The commercials did the same thing. But over time the quality of what CIG released became less and less impressive and of course actual gameplay like AC is terrible. Meanwhile CIG releases next to nothing in terms of new gameplay videos (the little you saw is still the most CIG has shown in months), so when backers do see something new they eat it up.

Meanwhile anyone seeing this from the outside sees it for what it truly is; painfully derivative but very pretty poo poo.

I was reading one of those reddit threads when the Star Marine FPS trailer got released last night. There was a guy who said he could never get into an "earthbound" shooters like CoD and that this looked awesome to him. The latest CoD has you doing power leaps, speed runs, ziplining, and jet packs in an exo-suit. The next CoD will have cyborg powers. Saints Row 4 gave you superpowers such as flight. I'll even go back, Halo 2 has a moment where Master Chief goes all Major Kong on a Covenant battleship. That dude has been missing out and his gaming knowledge is loving weak.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

I look forward to playing Mad Dog McCree in space.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

Are you alright friend?

I think I will be, not sure

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This whole loving train wreck is worth it for this dumb loving face texture

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I just owned Octopode so hard he actually gave up arguing.

Worship me.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm watching the press release video of the "baby PU" and it still looks like the engine is fighting with jerky, stuttering frames.

The ambient music however remains fantastic. It's the only part of this trainwreck thats quality.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Worship me.

He's taking his sexual frustration out on small animals right now.

He'll be back.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sarsapariller posted:

I genuinely liked the level of detail and interactivity on the ship, and the character interactions were decent and would make for a fun game (though you have to wonder about replay value). They built the impression of a crewed and functioning ship far more so than anything else they've shown to date. The dialogue was not particularly cringey until the "briefing room" and I found myself kind of enjoying Morrow's character. Personally I want the game to have a lot of slow-paced shipboard segments in between the sorties and combat. I'd like to see a lot of character development through that, it would be a nice departure from previous space games where your downtime was a couple static screens between missions.

That's kind of interesting, because that's exactly what got on my nerves so much about the minimovie. Everything and everyone was so generic - you get the nice guy, the girl with attitude, the cool-headed briefing officer - and there's nothing really distinctive about any of them. They're all around the same size, all have the same short hair, and all have the same muted color palette that everything else on the ship has. Who are these people? Why do I care about them? Nothing really happens in the demo, so they don't have a character to establish, so all I have to go on is visuals, which are all just varying shades of gray and orange.

Everything about it was just baffling; the first glimpse of this movie consists of some guy making a Generic Rousing Speech, then a tour around a bunch of corridors. No dogfights, no tense launch off the deck as a swarm of unstoppable monsters beyond the stars tear apart your home base, nothing. They could've even just had a sad scene where a salvage team is picking through the wreckage of a dead battlegroup, finding corpses for burial to actually give a sense that there's a war for the player to win. No, let's establish our setting by walking around corridors for an hour.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Can someone explain to me the massive amount of Octopode hate occurring?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

xanif posted:

He drank the cool aid but didn't die for some reason.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Good Dumplings posted:

That's kind of interesting, because that's exactly what got on my nerves so much about the minimovie. Everything and everyone was so generic - you get the nice guy, the girl with attitude, the cool-headed briefing officer - and there's nothing really distinctive about any of them. They're all around the same size, all have the same short hair, and all have the same muted color palette that everything else on the ship has. Who are these people? Why do I care about them? Nothing really happens in the demo, so they don't have a character to establish, so all I have to go on is visuals, which are all just varying shades of gray and orange.

Everything about it was just baffling; the first glimpse of this movie consists of some guy making a Generic Rousing Speech, then a tour around a bunch of corridors. No dogfights, no tense launch off the deck as a swarm of unstoppable monsters beyond the stars tear apart your home base, nothing. They could've even just had a sad scene where a salvage team is picking through the wreckage of a dead battlegroup, finding corpses for burial to actually give a sense that there's a war for the player to win. No, let's establish our setting by walking around corridors for an hour.

Agreed it's poo poo

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

xanif posted:

He's being a big smug fucker, that's pretty much it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm cool with Octopode as long as he sticks around after the scales fall from his eyes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Worship me.

Can you own Seraph?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Bolow posted:

This whole loving train wreck is worth it for this dumb loving face texture

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

xanif posted:

He's a moronic sycophant who tries to defend SC at every opportunity despite actually playing the game for less than 10 hours since its release. He also tries to Google law and other topics he has no knowledge of to try and prop up his terrible arguments. He is also a pretty bad poster besides all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread