Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Decrepus posted:

Why didn't they have some random idiot get his face mapped and then have Gary Oldman just voice over it? It isn't his real head anyway and from what I gave read about hughmon anatomy most are made up of the same underlying structures.

Probably so the lips would sync well with the words. This is the minutiae they focus on rather than "Does this even look/sound good?"

Adventure Pigeon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This is the first I've looked at Star Citizen since the kickstarter first launched. I popped in here to see what the progress was and...yeah. When I first heard about it I didn't back it because I just don't back anything as a general rule, but I still remained optimistic because it sounded like a game I'd want to play. After see their "progress" after 3 years, I can't say I'm looking forward to it anymore.

The worst part is that I still have no idea what the point of the game is anymore. It seems to me that it's bogged down in so much minutiae that even if the game was released through some sort of miracle, it'll be straight up boring as poo poo.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=SrpeLpQWzTk

I'm watching this.

The constellations cockpit view sucks.

Moreso, it looks boring as hell.

This interests me actually. Ignoring the massive amounts of glitches and the clearly staged fights, what makes it boring? I haven't played Elite but from the videos I've seen the space parts look really similar. You're mainly travelling from point A to B to do something. What were people in this thread expecting Star Citizen to be like?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Those were perfectly reasonable issues. I know "not a cult" is becoming repetitive but holy poo poo someone should make :notacult: a thing. :psyduck:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I can now add "some Goon" to my list of honorifics.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

MeLKoR posted:

Those were perfectly reasonable issues. I know "not a cult" is becoming repetitive but holy poo poo someone should make :notacult: a thing. :psyduck:

The documentary about this whole thing after it falls apart is going to be amazing and depressing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"Star Citizen: Condition Red?"

A really excellent and even-handed summary of the state of Star Citizen (the game, the community, and the company) by Allen Stroud. Here is one of many gems in it.

quote:

"5. Concept sales create engineering debt.

Additionally, the problem with selling things that are only in concept is ensuring the workload for incorporating said concept is factored into the sale and the time and expertise is directly calculated based on the return. The associated marketing and hype also adds to the aforementioned mythology.
If the phrase "concept sales create engineering debt" has been used here before I missed it, but what a wonderfully concise way to sum up that particular problem. CIG has engineering debt in the tens of millions. How will it be paid for in a cash crunch? Concept sales will create more engineering debt.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 11, 2015

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

kikkelivelho posted:

This interests me actually. Ignoring the massive amounts of glitches and the clearly staged fights, what makes it boring? I haven't played Elite but from the videos I've seen the space parts look really similar. You're mainly travelling from point A to B to do something. What were people in this thread expecting Star Citizen to be like?

Honestly if i didn't know anything about starcit and i saw this video i'd definitely be into it. It's a crow i really hope i have to eat one day but i'm 99% sure my diet is gonna remain corvid-free.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

What were you expecting fun to be like?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Demiurge4 posted:

In case anyone missed it, that line in Bishops speech about victory was Croberts trying to channel some Churchill but coming down flat. Here's what the real thing sounds like.

Line? The entire speech is basically something I'd expect from a 14 year old trying to mimic Gladiator.

IT WILL COST US

IN RESOURCES

:words:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Yet, somehow, most backers somehow missed the fact that, well, yeah, they took away their liability to continue frequent deliveries of content.

Holy poo poo the replies to that thread :psyduck:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MeLKoR posted:

"Blizzard is a terrible example as their cinematics are not rendered in engine. There is no comparison between SC cinematics and Blizzard's as they are apples and oranges."

Yes, it is impossible to compare two cinematics because of how they are rendered, not what you visually see using your loving eyeballs.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seeing you probated was such an incredible disappointment. I've always found your arguments on the RSI forums to be clear, cogent and ultimately fair. The SC forums are significantly poorer for your loss. Most of all because you honestly did want to see the game succeed, rather than fail. The people eating up everything CIG throws at them aren't doing them any favours in the long run.

It's a shame that CIG prefers baseless pandering to reasonable discourse.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

What were people in this thread expecting Star Citizen to be like?

Something like this:

http://youtu.be/DZ4gpjwJa08

That's what was described during the Kickstarter.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Decrepus posted:

"Blizzard is a terrible example as their cinematics are not rendered in engine. There is no comparison between SC cinematics and Blizzard's as they are apples and oranges."

Yes, it is impossible to compare two cinematics because of how they are rendered, not what you visually see using your loving eyeballs.

Also if you're making a spaceship simulator maybe just have prerendered cutscenes?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Probably so the lips would sync well with the words. This is the minutiae they focus on rather than "Does this even look/sound good?"

I'd imagine it's more so Chris and Sandi can spend maximum time playing out their fantasies of being successful movie types and hanging out with Hollywood stars. I'm convinced that's why the progress on the actual playable part of the game is so dire; They're more interested in funnelling the cash they've harvested from space nerds into playing around in expensive motion capture studios with anyone from the movie business they can bribe to give them the time of day. They're basically giving the cool kids their (and everyone else's) lunch money so they'll let hang out with them.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Synchronized posted:

Seeing you probated was such an incredible disappointment. I've always found your arguments on the RSI forums to be clear, cogent and ultimately fair. The SC forums are significantly poorer for your loss. Most of all because you honestly did want to see the game succeed, rather than fail. The people eating up everything CIG throws at them aren't doing them any favours in the long run.

It's a shame that CIG prefers baseless pandering to reasonable discourse.

Some of their people read this forum, with this attitude you're not long for this world either.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

"Star Citizen: Condition Red?"

A really excellent and even-handed summary of the state of Star Citizen (the game, the community, and the company) by Allen Stroud. Here is one of many gems in it.

If the phrase "concept sales create engineering debt" has been used here before I missed it, but what a wonderfully concise way to sum up that particular problem. CIG has engineering debt in the tens of millions. How will it be paid for in a cash crunch? Concept sales will create more engineering debt.

This is really good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

they can't even finish their concept art?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Attention cultists: please stop comparing RSI to Blizzard or Valve or any studios that has actually produced games and thus earned the right to take their time making more.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

MeLKoR posted:

Why didn't he just sue for failure of payment instead of declaring personal bankruptcy?

Or contact the appropriate state labor board for that matter?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Decrepus posted:

Why didn't they have some random idiot get his face mapped and then have Gary Oldman just voice over it? It isn't his real head anyway and from what I have read about hughmon anatomy most are made up of the same underlying structures.

Its all a scam so Chris gets to be a bigtime hollywood scifi director while being essentially banned from making films.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I made something terrible. I'm sorry in advance.
:nms:

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

thatguy posted:

I made something terrible. I'm sorry in advance.
:nms:

Gah

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

1stGear posted:

Attention cultists: please stop comparing RSI to Blizzard or Valve or any studios that has actually produced games and thus earned the right to take their time making more.

Valve makes games?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Valve makes games?

Produced. I made sure to use past tense there.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

kikkelivelho posted:

I'm playing elite now actually

It owns.

SC has much to prove. Whatever they're doing now might be a step in the right direction (finally). There's no time to tell though.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Valve makes games?

Did you not back their Half Life 3 kickstarter?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Valve makes games?

Valve is a lot like CGI in the respect that they are adept at separating nerds from their money.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

nopantsjack posted:

they can't even finish their concept art?

It's a method of quickly producing concept art using composite images. Concept art doesn't always have to be "finished".

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

AP posted:

If you're a fan of big name casting in games, it might be worth checking out.

Holy gently caress that's not a joke, they credit his wife, a no-name amateur, before Gillian Anderson.

I just checked their website and it's oldman, hammil, strong, wu, gardiner, Anderson on there going from left to right, top to bottom.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 11, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

no_recall posted:

I'm playing elite now actually

It owns.

SC has much to prove. Whatever they're doing now might be a step in the right direction (finally). There's no time to tell though.

The last "space sim" I played was probably I-war 2 god knows how many years ago. I have no idea what is considered "fun" in these kind of games. People seem to find the new Elite fun but based on what I've seen it's a really slow game with lots of travelling involved. So do the people who find the multicrew demo boring also think that E:D is boring?

e: I'm talking specifically about the "MMO" part of Star Citizen. Obviously in the theoretical nonexistent campaign you could have all kinds of setpieces.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 11, 2015

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I fail to see what they're doing now that can be considered a step in the right direction. The decision to roll the FPS up into a small scale PU is clearly just another excuse to delay things because they don't have anything vaguely playable (hence the section of the FPS involving combat being conspicuously absent from the presentation or even the teaser, the basic fundamentals just aren't in place). Squadron 42 is nowhere, they have a buggy poorly produced intro section and nothing else. The only bit of the game they've invested significant time in in the cutscenes and they still look like poo poo.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Mukip posted:

It's a method of quickly producing concept art using composite images. Concept art doesn't always have to be "finished".

usually you don't print it out as a poster and give away signed and numbered copies of it as promotional material

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

The Story So Far

The initial drama
Derek Smart is Derek Smart, trolls Star Citizen for a few months.
The Escapist publishes a peice where employees of CIG accuse Chris and Sandy of mismanagement, waste of funds and specifically Sandy of racism and muff-hating.
Chris Roberts posts a big meltdown on the Star Citizen site accusing Escapist of manufacturing sources/beleiving disgruntled employees/being Derek Smart/being Gamergate.
One day later CIG threaten Escapist with a defamation suit against the claims on Sandy (notably no claims to do with the money) unless they apologise and remove the article within 24 hours.
The Escapist says no, and commits to further investigation.

Pre-Citicon:
Derek Smart predicts a ship called the Vindicator will come out and it'll be $175 and a fighter, he does this through Beer who gets banned from the CIG forums for it.
Much shitposting.

Citicon:
After a brief delay and schizophrenic countdown timer, Citicon opens with a tearful speech from Sandy where she appeals to backers to think on the deep social connections they've forged by buying theoretical spaceships together, hypes Star Citizen as the pinnacle of human endeavour. This all sounds like a resignation and she's given going-away flowers, but doesn't leave.
gently caress you, Derek #1: "Anonymous hate campaign" + Look how much Sandy's underlings like her She also drops that she and Chris are married and this has "never been a secret" which is untrue.

Chris waddles on stage and mumbles through his nose and giggles, after showing how many devblog programs they've made the first thing he does is show off how many people he has working for him to disprove allegations of shrinking studio sizes. (gently caress you, Derek #2)
Chris lists the only stuff that is probably coming out soon, and its basically two weapons and buggies and the ability to respawn after you die.

After months of delays Star Marine is quietly scrapped and the development process is reversed and is no longer modular, now they're going to combine all the modules into one alpha to be released at an undisclosed time. gently caress You, Derek #3: "Everyone always yells at me when I give you release dates so I won't anymore."

Chris manages to fail at Powerpoint and can't make the next slide work.
Chris declares the alpha map to be the biggest ever in a game but compares it with Daggerfall and Skyrim rather than Elite, EVE or No Man's Sky which are much larger.

At some point they show off the state of this combined alpha, which is basically the multicrew demo from earlier roughly combined with the Star Marine module, it still looks very choppy and extremely pre-alpha, tellingly in a 4v4 firefight none of the shooting is captured on camera.
From the looks of it its entirely possible to lose whole space systems by not being good enough at FPSes. This is the only "gameplay" shown in the whole presentation, and involves mostly walking and some taking off, travelling and landing in space ships, ostensibly some people shooting assault rifles and then getting back in a ship.

A guy introduces a neat map app thats actually available now in browser and seems to work, making it the most polished game to come out of the kickstarter so far. You can plan your space camping trip routes in a game that won't exist for 2 years maybe never. The guy running the demo nearly dies from stage fright.

Chris talks about a night club called the Million Mile High Club where presumably people will gently caress eachother in space. This will probably also come out in some form, since its just a map people can walk around in, will support up to 25 players lol habbo hotel tech.

Some other guy intros an unpriced super joystick/keyboard/throttle addon that looks like hot dogshit but the guy doing the presentation is the only human that comes on stage for the whole thing. Chris fucks up at the reveal at every opportunity continuing the trend of Chris not being able to do anything.

They intro the Referral program with a video made by the one man who doesn't know how to say referral. The new "refral" program basically encourages faithful Citizens to recruit new players to buy this nonexistant game or buy 25 new accounts to get themselves a gaudy gold ship skin.
Possibly before this they announce a new ship that is totally the Vindicator, but has been renamed the Saber and sliced $5 off the price. (gently caress you, Derek #4)
They also announce a new $2500 military ship pack to go with Squadron42.

Halfway through the event and Chris is now just going to talk about Squadron 42 for the next hour, everyone is super excited to see what they have to show.

They have videos of the motion cap studio they set up themselves and reveal that Gary Oldman is in it and show a trailer showing CG Gary Oldman doing an old man voice with a muppet mouth before bragging about their facial animation in another video. They reveal a bunch of celebrities such as Scully, Luke Skywalker and Gimli are also in it as well as Sandi Gardiner. In brief interviews Gary Oldman looks guarded or despondant and compares Chris to Lucas.

They show us the first Squadron 42 gameplay ever revealed and its one big walking cutscene where they tour the ship and nothing else happens, the voices and perfomances are okay but this... isn't a game and there are bugs everywhere even for this one slice they have made, the first guy you see's hair takes 10 seconds to appear, another guy has a luminous mouth like his soul is trying to escape. All the black characters are carrying luggage or cargo in the background.
The animations range from decent mocap to shockingly rudimentary. Release date is set as 2016 which is laughable for anyone watching.

Chris goes loving mental for like 25 minutes about how many hours of cutscenes the game has and how huge its script is and it becomes chillingly apparent to everyone he's just found a way to reignite his hollywood dreams off the backs of nerds with poor judgement.
He gets an underling to bring him the script and then throws it on the floor to show how huge it is, then turns around and leaves him to pick it up, then realises he's supposed to be pretending to be nice and squawks out an apology and does his weird Hyih Hyih giggle.

Cake Time! CIG make a final bid to fill time and distract people from the fact the game doesn't exist and they showed 10 minutes of gameplay and they just told everyone none of the stuff they've been waiting for is coming out and they're going to have to indefinitly wait for an alpha that currently doesn't exist in any releaseable way.
They have brought a big birthday cake and they try and figure out a way to get the cake on a table from where it is 4 feet to the right to centre stage, which takes an army of techies and employees much hemming and hawing.
A put-upon looking stage assistant lights the candles as Chris giggles and introduces his all male, all white staff. "Happy Birthday, Star Citizen" they sing. The cake has 3 candles on it because its 3 years since the dream of Star Citizen and Star Citizen is just a dream.
Chris tries to blow out the candles and sprays spit all over them with a big ol' raspberry.
Chris makes two tentative cuts to the cake, asking the whole time how you cut cake and apologising like a man who has never seen a cake nor indeed a knife before.
Chris gives up immediately, nobody is getting any cake because he just can't figure this out, he tells the techies to cut the cake but then decides against it and announces the show is over.

I now know why I was put here on this earth, it was to make the longest post about Star Citizen nobody will ever want to read.
I skipped a lot of the video because it was boring as poo poo, this post is great.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can I grow spaceweed yet?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Can I grow spaceweed yet?

Go load up X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

kikkelivelho posted:

The last "space sim" I played was probably I-war 2 god knows how many years ago. I have no idea what is considered "fun" in these kind of games. People seem to find the new Elite fun but based on what I've seen it's a really slow game with lots of travelling involved. So do the people who find the multicrew demo boring also think that E:D is boring?

To each their own. Aside from reused multicrew demo assets from Gamescom, there was nothing new.

Heck I thought the Gamescom demo was better.

• Locked thread