Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

kikkelivelho posted:

The last "space sim" I played was probably I-war 2 god knows how many years ago. I have no idea what is considered "fun" in these kind of games. People seem to find the new Elite fun but based on what I've seen it's a really slow game with lots of travelling involved. So do the people who find the multicrew demo boring also think that E:D is boring?

E:D bores many people but at least it's a game. Star Citizen is delayed tech demo after delayed tech demo. The didn't release anything in the stream they haven't shown before.

There has been no discernible progress in the project. Most (if not all) of us want the game to be great but the issue is that they're not working towards that goal. They're trying to make a movie. And it's showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Go load up X

I wish weed grew irl at 1600% time dialation.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ED is slow and kinda bland - but it's a pretty solid basis for a game. It needs more multiplayer interaction, allowing players to actually group up together to work towards overall goals and it could use some more variety. An upcoming update (out before the end of the year) will allow you to land on planets and also they're adding multi-crew at some point so if expansive things like this keep getting added it could turn into something really impressive. I'm enjoying it but I'm at the point where I'm not really sure what's left to work towards. I can put effort into buying the biggest ship in the game but there doesn't really seem to be anything to use that ship for. The future of the game seems bright though.

The thing that really strikes me is the ED is what SC claimed it was going to be. A modular, gradual approach, slowing releasing parts of the game until the entire thing came together. ED has the flying around in space ships thing, it has the persistent universe and now they're going to add the ability to land on planets and multi crew stuff. SC said they were going to do this, but they didn't. They just kept adding new feature after new feature without ever getting the first thing out in an acceptable form.

I'd love to know what the budget for ED was and how long it took to get it into the current state it's in. ED is perhaps 25% of what is promised in SC. Did it take 1/4 of the time for 1/4 of the price too? Seems unlikely.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Am I alone in not liking space sims, by the way?

I think the SC footage looks boring but I think that whole genre is boring.

I'm curious though, is there anything about the SC footage so far that makes it look like a 'bad game'?

All the poo poo around it is god awful of course, but I'm just hoping if by a miracle this game does see final that it's at least a decent game for fans of that genre.

Also those ships are ridic expensive but will there be a way to obtain them purely through in game play?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Oh Connor, sweet Connor,
We sometimes get you out and play,
To remind us of the day,
Your lifeless remains dropped out of my uterus.

:stoke:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think them squashing everything into Alpha 2 or baby-PU is actually a good idea. Their modular design was never going to work properly so I guess it only took them 3 years to realise this.
If they get more money which they will they can squeeze out Squadron 42 either episode 1 in late 2016 or the whole thing some time in 2017 while they spend at least a year just getting Star Marine, Arena Commander, Multicrew etc to play nicely together for a basic Alpha 2.

The problem being this means years and years until maybe you get an Alpha and in the mean time you'll get Wing Commander the movie 2. (If there is any gameplay that works for S42, which there isn't any sign of, I mean apart from the drones does AI even exist?)

Whats amusing is how quickly the narrative on Reddit has shifted post-citicon from "They're going to release all this poo poo in 3 weeks just wait" to "lol you really think any videogame was in alpha after only 3 years? learn some patience and pledge more" and maybe a couple people going "Alpha 2 released before 2016" in the face of all evidence.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Crow_Robot posted:

Am I alone in not liking space sims, by the way?

I think the SC footage looks boring but I think that whole genre is boring.
You're in the wrong place, then. I think most of us are here, either for or against the odds of CIG ever releasing a game, are fans of the genre and were excited to see another one be announced. Keep in mind, this was before Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Enemy Starfighter, and all the rest have come out/been announced.

Edit: Yes, space sims are by definition boring. The best one, TIE Fighter, was single-player only and had a decently immersive story. But if you plop a bunch of players out in random spots in space, they'll die of old age before they find anything interesting, which seems to be ED's problem.

Crow_Robot posted:

I'm curious though, is there anything about the SC footage so far that makes it look like a 'bad game'?

The biggest complaint against the footage is that it doesn't accurately represent what they should have been able to accomplish with $90 million. There are both much older AAA games and newer indie titles that blow it away. Where has the money gone?

Crow_Robot posted:

Also those ships are ridic expensive but will there be a way to obtain them purely through in game play?

Supposedly, yes.

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 11, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Crow_Robot posted:

It costs $45 plus applicable taxes for access to both the MMO and single player games, and everything else can be obtained through gameplay.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

At least they can be obtained through gameplay.

I mean considering those price tags it'll likely take a stupid amount of time but I guess that's something.

e: Also it looks like most of that money is going toward the single player/cinematic story thing which I can't imagine will appease most fans.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Synchronized posted:

Seeing you probated was such an incredible disappointment. I've always found your arguments on the RSI forums to be clear, cogent and ultimately fair. The SC forums are significantly poorer for your loss. Most of all because you honestly did want to see the game succeed, rather than fail. The people eating up everything CIG throws at them aren't doing them any favours in the long run.

It's a shame that CIG prefers baseless pandering to reasonable discourse.

The prefer making money to making a game. As soon as my criticisms ran the risk of affecting their funding they purged me as quickly as they could. It has nothing to do with reasonable discourse and everything to do with maximize the flow of revenue necessary for CR to make his cinematic masterpiece.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I can totally see them hitting the point where they know they're gonna run out of cash resulting in Chris and Sandi dropping whatever they have left of their backers cash into stringing the badly scripted motion captured stuff together to some kind of cinematic release as a vehicle for their Hollywood aspirations while the playable game gets axed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KM Scorchio posted:

I can totally see them hitting the point where they know they're gonna run out of cash resulting in Chris and Sandi dropping whatever they have left of their backers cash into stringing the badly scripted motion captured stuff together to some kind of cinematic release as a vehicle for their Hollywood aspirations while the playable game gets axed.

im glad of it

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Crow_Robot posted:

At least they can be obtained through gameplay.

I mean considering those price tags it'll likely take a stupid amount of time but I guess that's something.

Yeah, this just screams huge balance issue to me.

Scenario 1: Ships are fairly easy to earn through in game money. Whales will scream in fury when a 14-year old with too much time on his hands will be able to match their 2000$+ ship within the first week.

Scenario 2: Ships, at least the big headliners, are incredibly grindy to earn, dissuading everyone except the most determined of eastern european bot-net grinders. Whales are secure in their superiority, but CGI might as well admit that they sell pay-to-win DLC.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

KM Scorchio posted:

The decision to roll the FPS up into a small scale PU is clearly just another excuse to delay things ...

I'm not a game developer (but am a software developer), but it could be a very good decision depending on how their code base and development is structured. Having multiple teams modifying a common architectural component like an engine, framework, or common library code can be tricky. Each team may be making changes to satisfy their individual requirements that are sub-optimal for other teams. If you have one team working on an FPS without netcode, and another team working on a FPS+Space SIM with netcode, then its entirely possible for the FPS team to start stepping on the PU team's toes.

To fix this, you can either get all of your use-cases aligned or you devote a team to maintaining the common pieces while keeping in mind the big picture. The latter scales better to large organizations and complicated infrastructure, and its what you commonly see in infrastructure projects in open source or larger companies. The trade off is that changes to infrastructure pieces can be slow since the maintainers have to make sure your patch doesn't regress any of the other use cases they're working on. The former achieves higher velocity on a given software project, but limits what you can reasonably build off of that common piece.

In the case of Star Citizen, rolling the FPS dev into PU is probably the right choice from a project management perspective. The fact that they thought they could spin off development of all these features and then bring them together reeks of non-technical project management magical thinking. In practice it results in a cluster gently caress of a project. Focusing on a single vision and bringing it to completion is a much better approach. Even better is implementing a small vision, and then iteratively adding features to build up to larger work -- which is what Elite: Dangerous is apparently doing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

It costs $45 plus applicable taxes for access to both the MMO and single player games, and everything else can be obtained through gameplay.

no it costs $45 plus applicable taxes for access to a cult and a stillborn game

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Erenthal posted:

Scenario 2: Ships, at least the big headliners, are incredibly grindy to earn, dissuading everyone except the most determined of eastern european bot-net grinders. Whales are secure in their superiority, but CGI might as well admit that they sell pay-to-win DLC.

Which is funny because the OG Star Citizen kickstarter page explicitly mentions not being pay to win.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I have an incredibly dumb loving question.

What was the point of building a MoCap studio in Austin if they were going to pay out the loving nose to use Imaginarium's anyway.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

What was the original Kickstarter goal anyway?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Crow_Robot posted:

All the poo poo around it is god awful of course, but I'm just hoping if by a miracle this game does see final that it's at least a decent game for fans of that genre.

I can't fundamentally conceive how it could possibly live up to the dreams people are putting into it at this point. The scope and the amount of promises they have made is absurd.

And your second part is equally valid. How can you possibly balance time spent against people spending 1000$ on a virtual space ship?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Bolow posted:

What was the point of building a MoCap studio in Austin if they were going to pay out the loving nose to use Imaginarium's anyway.

Because a full-stage capture studio and a single person animation capture rig are used for very different things and at different points in development.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

Because a full-stage capture studio and a single person animation capture rig are used for very different things and at different points in development.

shut up

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
I backed this a long time ago and forgot about it due to other stuff going on. What I'm seeing now is not encouraging, to say the least.

I would just go for a refund, but I would like to keep the base package just in case they actually manage to pull something out. Also, since all the stuff is LTI, I could get more money selling it on than a refund would give. Far be it from me to stand in the way of nerds who could watch that "presentation" and still want to pay out even more cash.

My question is: how would I go about getting in on some grey market action if I don't have a Reddit account and have no interest in getting one?

I want to use the proceeds to buy all the actual good-looking space games that have appeared in the meantime, as well as looking on it as a bribe to never get involved in crowdfunding projects again, now that I have a 0% satisfaction rate with them.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Bolow posted:

Playing devil's advocate: Can't get enough time at Imaginarium or its more expensive. Use your own mo-cap studio for the non-critical pieces, and the high-end studio for the Hollywood-level mo-cap.

Being the reaslist: Its almost certainly a stupid move entirely based on CR wanting to be a Hollywood producer.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

Have you seen Brewster's Millions?

Same deal.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Octopode posted:

Kill yourself.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Crow_Robot posted:

Half a million, and they got $2.1 million.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Bolow posted:

Because you cannot populate a universe of NPCs using Imaginarium's solution, that would be way to expensive.

You keep the expensive solution for the hero characters

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

The Interloper posted:

I backed this a long time ago and forgot about it due to other stuff going on. What I'm seeing now is not encouraging, to say the least.

I would just go for a refund, but I would like to keep the base package just in case they actually manage to pull something out. Also, since all the stuff is LTI, I could get more money selling it on than a refund would give. Far be it from me to stand in the way of nerds who could watch that "presentation" and still want to pay out even more cash.

My question is: how would I go about getting in on some grey market action if I don't have a Reddit account and have no interest in getting one?

I want to use the proceeds to buy all the actual good-looking space games that have appeared in the meantime, as well as looking on it as a bribe to never get involved in crowdfunding projects again, now that I have a 0% satisfaction rate with them.

eBay also used to be a decent way to unload LTI ships without involving Reddit, but there is more risk due to their digital good sales policy. Your best bet is to find a middleman that sells regularly that is willing to sell everything for you, but unless there is a goon still reading this thread that is involved, you'll probably at least need a Reddit account to contact them.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Interloper posted:

Jethro_E7 on these forums is a middleman still he can probably help you out on the reddit site

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

KM Scorchio posted:

This would own. It would be a lot like The Order 1886 only with Gary Oldman and worse graphics and a script that is five times as long. I mean, it would be terribly boring to play (I'm assuming they would put in little multi-crew bits where you fly from point A to point B) but I would love to see how bad the script gets.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Guess they've decided to commit all of their forum purge atrocities right now, when the full zeal of their ever-faithful is backing them with their shitposts all over the internet, huh?

Between this and Beer's permaban, it's safe to say that CIG forum moderation has now also visibly and willingly moved into the full out cult arbitrary status, considering they're now just blatantly breaking their most basic probation/ban rules.

I warned about this many months ago. No surprise there.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bolow posted:

Supposedly the Austin studio is for minor stuff while the Imagnarium is for the EPIC poo poo like Gary Oldman being constipated in front of the UEE Senate.

The real answer is because :homebrew:.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Supposedly the Austin studio is for minor stuff while the Imagnarium is for the EPIC poo poo like Gary Oldman being constipated in front of the UEE Senate.

The real answer is because :homebrew:.

Form over function. Whoever suggested watching the Half Life 2/Killzone 3 trailers and comparing them to CIG's stuff was dead on.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Crow_Robot posted:

The initial funding goal, stretch goals and everything was 4 million total, 23 million for a "TRUE 100% CROWDFUNDER BACKED GAME", 91.6 million for a B-grade sci-fi movie with a-list actors

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

ryde posted:

I'm not a game developer (but am a software developer), but it could be a very good decision depending on how their code base and development is structured.

Yeah I can see how they would work in a well run studio. But given that most of their issues seem to stem for god awful management and there being no chance that Chris will step aside and let someone else run the show, I just can't see this saving them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

where is this star citizen thing at guys

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would very much like for Derek Smart to do a retrospective LP of Battlecruiser 3000AD on this forum, ending each segment with 'but hey, at least I shipped it'.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ryde posted:

I'm not a game developer (but am a software developer), but it could be a very good decision depending on how their code base and development is structured. Having multiple teams modifying a common architectural component like an engine, framework, or common library code can be tricky. Each team may be making changes to satisfy their individual requirements that are sub-optimal for other teams. If you have one team working on an FPS without netcode, and another team working on a FPS+Space SIM with netcode, then its entirely possible for the FPS team to start stepping on the PU team's toes.

To fix this, you can either get all of your use-cases aligned or you devote a team to maintaining the common pieces while keeping in mind the big picture. The latter scales better to large organizations and complicated infrastructure, and its what you commonly see in infrastructure projects in open source or larger companies. The trade off is that changes to infrastructure pieces can be slow since the maintainers have to make sure your patch doesn't regress any of the other use cases they're working on. The former achieves higher velocity on a given software project, but limits what you can reasonably build off of that common piece.

In the case of Star Citizen, rolling the FPS dev into PU is probably the right choice from a project management perspective. The fact that they thought they could spin off development of all these features and then bring them together reeks of non-technical project management magical thinking. In practice it results in a cluster gently caress of a project. Focusing on a single vision and bringing it to completion is a much better approach. Even better is implementing a small vision, and then iteratively adding features to build up to larger work -- which is what Elite: Dangerous is apparently doing.

Is it an issue, then, that their intent is for the engine to handle large-scale spaceship battles while still being able to individually model and render cheekbones

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

I'm the guy walking past the stairs and falling over dead for no reason @ 17:25 -> 17:30

Man that combat looks twice as clunky as ARMA ever was

That clip and the seconds after it are amazing, I didn't watch the whole recording of the con because gently caress that but there is a lot to enjoy in just that clip. The dude ambling downstairs and then turning the opposite way while he is actively getting shot, then falling over a full second later, the dude who falls over into the camera for no explainable reason at all, the thing that starts endlessly physicsing on the ground, the gun that stays floating in the air, then the body endlessly gliding across the floor. Next clip, somebody gets shot a bunch and doesn't react until multiple seconds later.

This thing was clearly scripted top to bottom and it still looks like garbage :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
I feel so dirty and ashamed.

• Locked thread