Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm new to this thread, is Octopedo a Buttcoiner?

If so, loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Nalin posted:

I am very sure you are absolutely correct. Didn't it take them a whole month to do that big code merge? I bet Illfonic was working with code that was so divergent from everything else that CIG just couldn't use it. That big code merge was probably when CIG realized their mistake and tried to save as much work as possible. I really wonder what happened that caused this situation to even exist in the first place.

Wait, they were working off separate branches without frequent merges and rebases? What the ever living gently caress!?

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Apparently you need to be a firefighter to recognize that a building is with money flooded.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Eonwe posted:

I can't wait to see the posts when CIG folds and the whales are publicly crying about fraud and 'WE JUST DIDNT KNOW, ALL MY MONEY IS GONE'

Gonna own
"Why didn't anyone TELL US?!?"
:derp:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was Octopode the guy who was saying that the game wasn't in a beta nor alpha state, but in fact a pre-alpha state?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Octopedo posted:

No, it's not funny at all. It's also not a joke.

Seriously, why would you think successful people like myself would be interested in a randopoor's investment advice? I'm doing well, that's why I have disposable income. You don't, so why not just pipe down about investments until you've got grownup income, kay?

Great. Thanks.

lmao you're a loving liar who is bad with money

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Octopedo posted:

If by "fire" you mean "flooded", and by "on" you mean "with money".

building is with money flooded?

ye say english?!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Also lol at "I have disposable income" being thrown around in a bagging manner.

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

StealthArcher posted:

I'm new to this thread, is Octopedo a Buttcoiner?

If so, loving lol.
I'm Octopode, but from the future. Everyone is a bitcoiner in the future, but as with many new technolgies, most of them don't even know they're using it.

Also sexcrime laws are very relaxed in the future, since religion is dead.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
To be honest this is Seraph's best posting spree yet. The original bitcoin post actually had me fooled. Before you get banned again you should make the flat face my avatar.

Thanks in advance.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Octopedo posted:

No, it's not funny at all. It's also not a joke.

Seriously, why would you think successful people like myself would be interested in a randopoor's investment advice? I'm doing well, that's why I have disposable income. You don't, so why not just pipe down about investments until you've got grownup income, kay?

Great. Thanks.

The joke is the last random poor you scorned was God in disguise and now you're tagged for hell. Enjoy your stay after death.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nalin posted:

I am very sure you are absolutely correct. Didn't it take them a whole month to do that big code merge? I bet Illfonic was working with code that was so divergent from everything else that CIG just couldn't use it. That big code merge was probably when CIG realized their mistake and tried to save as much work as possible. I really wonder what happened that caused this situation to even exist in the first place.

A reminder that Illfonic are the smartest people involved in starcitizen and immediately took steps to copy chris roberts' funraising/scamming model by creating their own medieval-themed star citizen called Revivial.

It sells "houses" instead of "ships" and promises exactly the same things that SC did.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761&pagenumber=1

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Octopede and Octopedo are pretty clearly different posters and Octopedo is pretty clearly trolling, hope that helps.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think CIG actually renamed what they got to be called StarEngine, and they retain the right to license it as they bought it from Crytek. Or am I misremembering?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Was Octopode the guy who was saying that the game wasn't in a beta nor alpha state, but in fact a pre-alpha state?

Octopode is one of those who doesn't want to be wrong. He's not a lovely poster, but just doesn't know when to be cordial and just accept that it's ok to be wrong about something. Instead he throws in ad hominem posts and self-elevating himself.

First it was cloud computing, then about consumer law, and finally ending in cryptography.

Octopedo, however, is an alt of Seraph.

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

thatguy posted:

To be honest this is Seraph's best posting spree yet.
Thanks, the validation means a lot to me, especially coming from one of the few genuinely funny posters in this thread. But I'm not Seraph, I'm futurepode.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

hakimashou posted:

A reminder that Illfonic are the smartest people involved in starcitizen and immediately took steps to copy chris roberts' funraising/scamming model by creating their own medieval-themed star citizen called Revivial.

It sells "houses" instead of "ships" and promises exactly the same things that SC did.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761&pagenumber=1

I thought he whole scam of selling house jpgs was started by Shroud of the Avatar.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I thought he whole scam of selling house jpgs was started by Shroud of the Avatar.

Whatever happened to that?

Also, lol at the people defending this by saying its a pre-alpha on reddit and such. After 3 years, all you have is a pre alpha? Yeah, really loving inspires confidence.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So just for fun I whipped together this graph showing monthly funding from January 2014 to today:

And from January 2013:

The peaks in Oct-Nov 2013 coincided with CitizenCon and a bunch of warhorse ship sales that everyone bought. Another peak in Oct-Nov 2014 came after CitizenCon and the Javelin Destroyer/Anvil Carrack sale and an anniversary sale.

This month is probably going to do (relatively) well (compared to recent months) and they've passed $2 million but ... have a ways to go. They're looking at a 30% drop in funding this year.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 11, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

Octopode is the guy who's been putting positive spin on anything CIG has done for the last 3 years.

Octopodo is probably seraph, banned sa user bitcoin millionaire who can't afford a car, lives in new york, rides a bike and has an unhealthy interest in children, who has identified the fact that Octopode isn't popular due to his defense of CIG and has created a gimmick account in a sad attempt at seeking approval from a bunch of nerds on the internet who still think he's a weird loser.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I got halfway through the Revival thread OP before reading this:

quote:

things like “taking a poo poo, pissing, having sex, slavery, serial killing abilities, and more” will be in-game activities. Illfonic says that you can have “graphic sex” in Revival, and characters with healthy sex lives will have “strong perk bonuses.” As for the deed itself, it’s a cooperative minigame with appropriate animations that continues as long as both parties can “maintain.”

:whoptc:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

Whatever happened to that?

Also, lol at the people defending this by saying its a pre-alpha on reddit and such. After 3 years, all you have is a pre alpha? Yeah, really loving inspires confidence.

Not sure but the store has expanded to $20 hats and $50+ boats.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=40715

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
He also buys people avatars, because I for one know, I just lie awake at night worrying about what stupid avatar I have.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Octopedo posted:

Keep trying to distract everyone from the embarrassing fact that you're an obnoxious wageslave offering unsolicited financial advice to internet strangers that are much, much more financially savvy than yourself. I think it's working.

Past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

AP posted:

Octopode is the guy who's been putting positive spin on anything CIG has done for the last 3 years.

Octopodo is probably seraph, banned sa user bitcoin millionaire who can't afford a car, lives in new york, rides a bike and has an unhealthy interest in children, who has identified the fact that Octopode isn't popular due to his defense of CIG and has created a gimmick account in a sad attempt at seeking approval from a bunch of nerds on the internet who still think he's a weird loser.
Same, but with lifelong depression, anxiety, and PTSD. :emo:

What if I'm just someone pretending to be Seraph84 pretending to be Octopode?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Octopedo posted:

puppetmaster?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

stop posting

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Not sure but the store has expanded to $20 hats and $50+ boats.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=40715

This is really getting kind of obnoxious. Hopefully Star Citizen is a death knell for these funding models.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agrajag posted:

I would also love seeing these shitheels freak out and I will have no sympathy for them going by how absolutely disgusting they are acting towards anyone that dares criticize crobizzle/SC.

like come the gently caress on, death threats? fb stalking people and balckmailing them? sexual harassment? bigotry? yeah, im going to enjoy watching these fuckers watch their dreams crash and burn in the most spectacular fashion.

I feel like when the entire thing comes crashing down, instead of saying "wow we were idiots for investing in this and chris roberts is a hack" they're just going to blame it on any combination of derek smart, goons and the escapist, and possibly drag in some random other poo poo like elite dangerous. Chris roberts could have made the ultimate god game to save us all and led us into a video game renaissance, but that bastard derek smart and his gang of goons had to ruin it!!

Anything to avoid putting the blame on themselves or CIG, because they've somehow become so indoctrinated that they will never believe they have done anything wrong.

And like you mention, you can't even feel bad about it because they are lovely loving people. Their dreams are going to collectively blow up, and that's funny.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Octopedo posted:

What if shut up

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

Variable 5 posted:

stop posting

Am I correct in assuming this person is a butthurt plebescrub who was previously forumrekt by Invincible Forum Champion Seraph84?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper Dan posted:

This is really getting kind of obnoxious. Hopefully Star Citizen is a death knell for these funding models washed up stupid gently caress geezers who were only ever successful game developers because of dumb luck/very low standards for games in the mid 90's to early 00's and have absolutely nothing new to contribute to gaming (or movies) of worth otherwise they would have been funded by a major studio already. (or released small scale projects that demonstrate their value)

fixed

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Octopedo posted:

Am I correct in assuming this person is a butthurt plebescrub who was previously forumrekt by Invincible Forum Champion Seraph84?

The only thing that was wrecked by Serapedo: His own wallet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I got halfway through the Revival thread OP before reading this:

:whoptc:

Y'know, Dawn was, like... ten years ago? Twelve? And people are still falling for this poo poo!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Octopedo posted:

boring

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Octopedo posted:

Am I correct in assuming I am this person who is a butthurt plebescrub?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Omi-Polari posted:

So just for fun I whipped together this graph showing monthly funding from January 2014 to today:

The peaks in Oct-Nov 2013 coincided with CitizenCon and a bunch of warhorse ship sales that everyone bought. Another peak in Oct-Nov 2014 came after CitizenCon and the Javelin Destroyer/Anvil Carrack sale and an anniversary sale.

This month is probably going to do (relatively) well (compared to recent months) and they've passed $2 million but ... have a ways to go. They're looking at a 30% drop in funding this year.

Is there a graph anywhere that shows how long it's taken them to hit $10 million, $20 million, $30 million, etc.?

I'd be interested in seeing how it's accelerated/decelerated over time. Like how long is it going to take them to hit $100 million at the present rate? Are they even likely to?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopedo posted:

Trade in some buttcoins and buy a sense of humour Seraph.

Also how the gently caress do you get caught out by buttcoins AND Star Citizen, do you realise that people could actually make money by doing the exact opposite of what you think is a good idea?

Sell the Javelin/Idris or whatever you have now, I worry about you and that small child, are you feeding her enough?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Cactus posted:

It all sounds great and I'm really looking forward to trying proper VR for the first time but the one thing I still can't envisage is how they are going to get around the problem of there being zero tactile feedback when you reach out and touch (or attempt to block/push/pick up) an in-game object? That alone is going to be a constant immersion breaker in a way that isn't present when using more traditional input methods because unlike those, the whole point of VR is to deceive your brain into thinking your suspension of disbelief isn't even needed.
Oh definitely. That kind of tech to fully fool you is years away. However you can get pretty far by designing around it.
Elite does it really well by just needing the HOTAS to control the entire game and it models them with correct feedback. So you'll play normally and out of the corner of your eyes see "your" hands moving the controls, it's pretty surreal and really fucks with your brain sometimes.

Other demos have used a character holding the Xbox 360 controller, which is the most common controller (and also bundled with the Rift when launched), so it again feels like you're holding the in-game controller. I haven't had the opportunity to use any motion controllers but I hear a lot of good things from the way they have tactile feedback from vibration and gyro effects. It won't feel like you're pulling or holding I suppose, but things like recoil and small feedback for smaller interactions is going to work better then you think.

Kinda getting off-topic and also this thread moves way too fast to talk about anything else except this cult. You can find me and others in the VR thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500989

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Does anyone on here still do middleman services?

I want out of this poo poo show.

• Locked thread