Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's at least one interaction with a dog in California where you can either call the dog a bad dog with hard rear end or use a different one to have it follow you. That alone makes the other ones worthwhile :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I'm confused. I bought a set of rad suits. I couldn't find a slot to put them in on the character page since they redesigned it, so I double clicked to equip, hoping that would take care of it. They disappeared from my inventory, but I just walked into the level 1 clouds and I still take damage. What gives?

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I'm glad where they fixed the thing in dialogue where you had to switch to the character that had the speech skill in order to use it.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Slightly disappointed in the lack of system/combat changes. The stat system is still terribly balanced, would it have been so hard to have intelligence give fractional skill points so there's any reason to take it at anything other than 1, 4, or 10? There's a mechanical repair perk that eliminates critical failures at 4, but the other one requires both lockpick 10 and safecracker 10. The rear end in a top hat quirk basically eliminates the conversation skill system by maxing out the best one from the start.

I'm just hoping that the encounter redesign means less maps full of enemies who will Usain Bolt right at your party, or at least that the attack of opportunity feats make melee characters something other than curiosities.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lotish posted:

Okay, I'm confused. I bought a set of rad suits. I couldn't find a slot to put them in on the character page since they redesigned it, so I double clicked to equip, hoping that would take care of it. They disappeared from my inventory, but I just walked into the level 1 clouds and I still take damage. What gives?

Take this with a grain of salt because I have barely played it myself, but I read a review that complained about this (as a bug) and one of the comments pointed out that they are a party item and not something you equip normally. The reviewer thanked him and said it worked fwiw.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I've found that after buying a second set of rad suits, leaving them in a character's inventory does the trick. I still have no idea what happened to the first set of suits, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is the comment. I don't know what slot he is referring to

http://www.psu.com/review/28344/Wasteland-2--Directors-Cut-PS4-Review--Old-school-RPG-radiates-class

quote:

The radiation suit thing is not a bug. It is a group item. It has its own slot to equip it in. It messed me up in the original version as well.

But yeah, they do not equip to the character. The slot should be beside your character unless they changed that screen significantly.

I have a few questions myelf.

1. when you get a "lucky break" or possibly other modifiers I haven't seen and it gives you +x AP, how do you actually use those points? It seems to cut me off at the amount in the first box, unable to use the amount in the +x box.

2. Is there some obvious way to know if you are super under leveled for an area that I'm missing? I went into that mine at lvl 1 and got destroyed by honey badgers and it seemed hopeless. I just plinked at them, ran out of ammo and got squad wiped. The game seemed to have sort of led me there though. On that note how do you actually look at an enemies level?

3. How does armor work on enemies? Is it something that breaks and becomes null or does it persist and continue to reduce damage?

4. Is there any way to use items in battle?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

NESguerilla posted:

This is the comment. I don't know what slot he is referring to

http://www.psu.com/review/28344/Wasteland-2--Directors-Cut-PS4-Review--Old-school-RPG-radiates-class

I have a few questions myelf.

1. when you get a "lucky break" or possibly other modifiers I haven't seen and it gives you +x AP, how do you actually use those points? It seems to cut me off at the amount in the first box, unable to use the amount in the +x box.

2. Is there some obvious way to know if you are super under leveled for an area that I'm missing? I went into that mine at lvl 1 and got destroyed by honey badgers and it seemed hopeless. I just plinked at them, ran out of ammo and got squad wiped. The game seemed to have sort of led me there though. On that note how do you actually look at an enemies level?

3. How does armor work on enemies? Is it something that breaks and becomes null or does it persist and continue to reduce damage?

4. Is there any way to use items in battle?
1. "Lucky" applies to give you +1 AP for that character in that turn only. It's triggered by your Luck stat, and it's automatically added to your AP for use per turn without you having to do anything about it.

2. Pay close attention to the enemies' health and weapon damage to get an idea of how badly they can screw you over, but do this before you're in a battle, of course. If you went into a mine (Level'Upe?) you may want to back out and do the main quests first of the radio tower, Highpool vs. Ag Center, etc. first, or even bum around those areas shooting down rail thieves and junkyard people. Honey Badgers are really strong and will destroy you until you get some higher level weapons and more skill points. I don't understand how you went into a mine at level 1... unless you found a secret entrance in the radio tower map. That's for later in the game, and it's a hard-to-find area unless you're high on Perception!

3. Armor doesn't break or become null. Armor has a value between 1 and 10, and your weapons also have a value between 1 and 10 for armor penetration. The idea is that if your weapon's armor penetration value matches or exceeds the enemy's armor value, your attack does full damage. Otherwise, it does less damage depending on the difference between the armor and weapon penetration values. Say your enemy has an armor value of 6, and your weapon has a penetration value of 3. You will always do half damage to that enemy (because 3/6 = 50%). However, if you pull out a weapon that has a penetration of 6+, you will always do full damage to that particular enemy.

4. Yes. The best way is to put an item on your character's hotbar (1-10 on your keyboard) so that it's available at any point. Field Medpacks, Surgeon Kits, Pain Killers, etc. can all be accessed through there. If your items aren't there, go to your inventory with the character who wants to use the item, right click on the item and say "add to toolbar" (I think). It'll appear on your quick slots. Items usually cost 2-3 AP to use.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Old Boot posted:

It really depends on the item, and what you're looking for. Some give +1 skill boosts, some boost attributes, etc, usually with some kind of associated penalty. There's a complete list here, if you're interested.

I can't imagine the loss of them is too big a hit, though, really. It's mostly just on-the-fly perks and tweaks, which are helpful, but not obligatory.
I dunno, I found trinkets pretty useful in the early goings-on, and by nearing the end of Nevada I felt like I had functional +1s or 2s to basically every skill, and I can only imagine things get even better later. Then again, at some point you can just have your skills that high. So it is probably one of those "makes you better in the late game" things.

Overemotional Robot posted:

So, the space based platform getting hit with meteors started the war, right?
CONSPIRACY

I do not remember ever hearing that interpretation before, not that people generally spend a lot of time debating the backstory. I like it. The entire end of the world was even more meaningless still!

Brother None posted:

If you take the "rear end in a top hat" quirk, you have flies buzzing around your head. Forever!
Best

rt4 posted:

This game loving rules and I can't believe anyone ever said otherwise
:agreed:

(I do of course actually understand some of the criticism but it is way more fun to just nod endlessly while buildings explode behind you)

Trilobite posted:

So like most of the quirks, it's a tradeoff. I don't know if anyone ever worked out how often each social skill got used over the course of the game, but I'd be very surprised if Hard rear end was the best of the three.
Yeah Hard rear end is clearly the least useful of the three, hence that skill. If it were for Smart or Kiss rear end I might have actually considered taking it. Though it certainly makes the conversations more straightforward!

Depressing bug report: if you, for example, if you are, uh, the sort of person who copies and pastes a character background into the biography section at character creation, you do not get a scrollbar if it is more text than the screen can display at once. Though granted if you hit enter it fixes it (but if you hit backspace the display does not change, which made me think it was just broken for a second).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the info :) Got 2 more quick ones.

1. How the heck do I revive someone outside of combat? My healer became critically wounded from dehydration and I don't know how to get her up. I have one more character with field medic, but I don't know how to use items on other characters or revive. And on that note...

2. How does dehydration work. I haven't found one water source or any way to use water yet. Is it a consumable or it is just a general supply that drains over time?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So how long until the all-clown LP where the OP delves deep into Juggalo lore and weaves it seamlessly into the world of Wasteland 2?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Thanks for the info :) Got 2 more quick ones.

1. How the heck do I revive someone outside of combat? My healer became critically wounded from dehydration and I don't know how to get her up. I have one more character with field medic, but I don't know how to use items on other characters or revive. And on that note...

2. How does dehydration work. I haven't found one water source or any way to use water yet. Is it a consumable or it is just a general supply that drains over time?
1. If someone is critically wounded you need a Trauma Kit and someone with at least 1 point in Surgeon to use the Trauma Kit on the fallen Ranger. If you don't have anyone else with Surgeon, no amount of Field Medics is going to save you past the brink.

2. You see the big blue canteen icon on the lower right of your HUD when traveling the world map? That's your water supply. Walking around the world map automatically consumes water. You have to replenish your water from water sources like the big container at Ranger Citadel, or more commonly, through oases in the Arizona desert. You have to stumble upon these oases to get more water, but they are often on a direct line from one big place to another, like the curve at the top of the mountain bend from Ranger Citadel to the Radio Tower. Just click on the oasis to refill your canteens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well. I guess I just lost my healer then. I'm not used to manually saving all the time, so I didn't save for like 2 hours (could have sworn I quick saved like 5 times but the most recent one is 10 minutes into the game) and the auto save completely hosed me. I think I might have just completely lost interest in this game.

Edit: at least most of that time was spent trying to figure out the controls and reading dialog I can skip I guess. That still sucks though. The game was like "you took dehydration damage and 2 seconds later she's unsalvageable due to a mechanic I don't even understand yet.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 15, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you're into grog bullshit, Age of Decadence finally came out.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Honey Badgers aren't even indigenous to the American continent and certainly not Arizona. They're from Africa, what the hell? :colbert:

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Holy poo poo, the DC version is eating up memory like a champ. I mean, I get it, my PC isn't exactly all that powerful (even if I upgraded it a year or two ago to run Wasteland 2 in the first place), but come on, at least original WL2 let me alt-tab occasionally without starting to go chug-a-chug.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So you don't get fewer skillpoints with Disparnumerophobia, but do you, like, get more if you have Int 2/8 and boost them to 4/10?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

LotsBread posted:

Holy poo poo, the DC version is eating up memory like a champ. I mean, I get it, my PC isn't exactly all that powerful (even if I upgraded it a year or two ago to run Wasteland 2 in the first place), but come on, at least original WL2 let me alt-tab occasionally without starting to go chug-a-chug.

Same thing happened to me. Not sure if windows updates in the background did something but god drat I had to reboot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been reading there is a bug where if you recruit a companion while at the max, they just disappear rather than go back to Ranger Citadel. Has anyone else experienced that? I'm about to reach that point and I'll put it on the shelf until its fixed if that's the case.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Here's 3 hot tips for you wastelanders out there

The 'Z' key gives every interactable object a green highlight and enemies a red highlight

Right clicking a slot in the hotbar gives you a box of skills and items (from that characters inventory) to fill it with.

Having a low AP weapon skill can be super helpful with precision shots since you can dump enemy armor, destroy their weapons or cripple melee enemies to make them slower.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also, all that awkward dialogue in between the bare essential messages is just the game trying to be funny.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

Honey Badgers aren't even indigenous to the American continent and certainly not Arizona. They're from Africa, what the hell? :colbert:

They can also be found in the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent :eng101:

Just prevent some rich arse Mexican druglord bought a whole bunch for his ranch and they got loose post apocalypse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NESguerilla posted:

Well. I guess I just lost my healer then. I'm not used to manually saving all the time, so I didn't save for like 2 hours (could have sworn I quick saved like 5 times but the most recent one is 10 minutes into the game) and the auto save completely hosed me. I think I might have just completely lost interest in this game.

Edit: at least most of that time was spent trying to figure out the controls and reading dialog I can skip I guess. That still sucks though. The game was like "you took dehydration damage and 2 seconds later she's unsalvageable due to a mechanic I don't even understand yet.

It's one of those games where resetting after around the 2 hour mark is common because you built your party poorly or didn't understand a game mechanic. No, I don't consider this a good thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It's one of those games where resetting after around the 2 hour mark is common because you built your party poorly or didn't understand a game mechanic. No, I don't consider this a good thing.

I wish you could see the Perk list before starting the game, because then I would have realized that if I want my charisma bot to be really good at recruiting NPCs, I need to make him the guy with Smart rear end, because that unlocks the x2 Charisma perk. Or if you want to add stuns to your melee attacks, you need to give your punchy/smashy/slashy character Brute Force.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Rinkles posted:

Something it has in common with the original Wasteland.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lotish posted:

I wish you could see the Perk list before starting the game, because then I would have realized that if I want my charisma bot to be really good at recruiting NPCs, I need to make him the guy with Smart rear end, because that unlocks the x2 Charisma perk. Or if you want to add stuns to your melee attacks, you need to give your punchy/smashy/slashy character Brute Force.
I highly endorse editing the .XML savegame file to fix fundamental character creation issues as opposed to having to start over. Like how I totally spaced and gave two characters Smart rear end instead of one with Kiss rear end but did not want to restart, so two minutes later the problem was solved! Though if you do not have much willpower you will probably ruin the game the other direction as a result of this, hah.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just a warning to new players who haven't played Wasteland 2 before: Don't rely on Angela too heavily. At a certain point you're not going to have her anymore.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm waiting for the wiki to update and list out the new perks and weapons before continuing. I'm not going through the trouble of dragging along pistols/shotguns/SMGs/heavy weapons users again unless the weapon selection is truly balanced this time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pistols seem to be balanced around having very low AP costs and being able to be fired multiple times at the same person. Two of the early perks, for example, are Focus Fire, which increases the amount of damage/chance to hit at someone you've already fired against, and another has a chance of making your pistol shots take no AP at all.

I've given Pills a Makarov and she is pretty drat good at taking people down.

I've got a fairly diverse bunch of rangers and I feel each of them have their own distinct strengths and weaknesses now as opposed to in the original WL2 where Assault rifles and snipers dominated ranged and brawling dominated melee.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The quirk that gives you additional damage against anyone with low HP also sounds like it'd synergise really well with pistols. You could make a character whose major role in combat is to finish off weakened enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Quarex posted:

I highly endorse editing the .XML savegame file to fix fundamental character creation issues as opposed to having to start over. Like how I totally spaced and gave two characters Smart rear end instead of one with Kiss rear end but did not want to restart, so two minutes later the problem was solved! Though if you do not have much willpower you will probably ruin the game the other direction as a result of this, hah.

What are you using to edit the save files? In original I used Notepad+ and it organized things in an intelligible way, like using the .ini in X-Com EW, but with the DC version everything is just a stream that's very hard to look through. Is there a Notepad+ setting I haven't turned on that would make it easier to read, or do I just have to stick with ctrl+f to find what I want in the jumble of tags? Sometimes it's hard to tell who I'm editing.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 15, 2015

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Quarex posted:

A game should not rely on new users editing game files in order to understand how the game works or the mechanics of the game. I enjoy this game, but until I read the OP here I was getting as frustrated as NESguerilla at the downright backwards game design decisions periodically made.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Olive Branch posted:

A game should not rely on new users editing game files in order to understand how the game works or the mechanics of the game. I enjoy this game, but until I read the OP here I was getting as frustrated as NESguerilla at the downright backwards game design decisions periodically made.

That's this game though. I'm by no means defending it, since I think it's the most ridiculous and poorly designed bullshit ever, but that's this game. It's what this game is.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

That's this game though. I'm by no means defending it, since I think it's the most ridiculous and poorly designed bullshit ever, but that's this game. It's what this game is.
Fair enough, and I know exactly what this game is after sinking 150+ hours into it. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of poor design decisions here that turn off new players. Like others who got the DC edition, I am all wondering what has substantially changed, why there is no perk list on the character creation screen to tell us what this particular perk does, and even why there is no "export this character" option on the character creation. What the hell. I thought this was meant to be an improvement on the sucky parts of the original rather than a retread with some new spangles (quirks and perks, both are neat in a Fallout 2 way but don't change the core gameplay). I think the biggest combat change is how energy weapons work, but I see that flanked cover from cover that is 45-60 degrees away is still a thing. I'd like to know if this cover is actually counting against me against that particular enemy, game!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Olive Branch posted:

there is no "export this character" option on the character creation.

That was in the non-DC version of the game, right?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This game loving owns. Exploring the Rail Nomad area now. It's just fun playing a throwback RPG.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Olive Branch posted:

Well I do not actually think that is how the game works. I was actually pointing out how cool it was that in this game, unlike most games, if you accidentally make a character wrong you can just go casually fix it instead of having to start over.

I grant that being concerned about optimum builds is a thing, and I feel for those people coming in to Wasteland 2. But like, my party sucks compared to the optimum builds generally recommended (I only have one character who can reliably shoot more than once a combat round) and I still have a great time. Sure, there are ways to screw up your characters and have a hard time, but most (most, granted, not all) CRPGs are such that you can make bad choices and end up with crappy characters. Though at this point this discussion sounds like the "3rd vs. 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons" debate, with some people firmly on the "I want to be able to have awful characters" side and some people on the "I want every character to be equally useful" side. AND NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET

I mean my Director's Cut party currently has like 12 stats at 1 between the four of them because I gave all of them Disparnumerophobia because WOOOOOO

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What's wrong with party creation? It's pretty logical: everyone has to be useful.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As long as you have decent skills in combat it's kind of hard to gently caress up. There's absolutely no unwinnable situations.

Just create whatever, roll with the punches, and you'll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
And when all else fails, chuck a fuckton of explosives.

• Locked thread